Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2012, 08:23 PM   #106
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
This intrigues me as the OP mentioned it as well.

Do you really think we are lying? And what would make you think that?
Nobody said anything about lying, but I have a few questions...

Do you always wear a neck brace, like LEATT?

Do you wear an airbag vest/jacket?

Do you wear a chest/thorax protector?

Do you wear wristguards?

Would your "gear" be adequate for a trackday?

Would your "gear" be adequate for a supercross/motocross/enduro/rally race?
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:29 PM   #107
wmax351
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
I despise and reject outright that ridiculous and often parroted donor cycle bullshit.

Is the cup half full or half empty?

I do not consider riding dangerous.

I do think it can be dangerous for new and returning riders. That is why I do what I can to increase the road craft skills of every rider I sell bikes to. I ride with them, share knowledge with them buy copies of Proficient Motorcycling and give it to them.

I want every rider to arrive safely at their intended destination each and every ride. I do what I can to make that happen.

Like it or not... Good gear helps by providing comfort.
Motorcycles are dangerous. That being said, so are cars, going down stairs, and crossing the street.

Motorcycles are somewhat more dangerous than cars. You could say that cars are less dangerous than bikes. There are many things that will put you down on a bike that are harmless on a car. When you go down, there is a much higher risk of injury.

It all depends on what you define as "Dangerous." Just because something is dangerous, doesn't mean it is unreasonably so. This is true everywhere.
wmax351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:09 PM   #108
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk-betty View Post
I have no reason to think you or anyone else is lying but I ask the question because of situations like this scenario......It's summer time, I'm lounging around in shorts, T-shirt and flip-flops (which is my standard off-work uniform) with some friends getting ready to grill some meat and just found out I need one ot two items from the store which is literally two miles down the road and the first 3/4 mile is a residential neighborhood - speed limit 20.

I can:

a) hop on the HD as dressed and get back just as quickly as the car but riding the bike is more fun

b) kick off the flip flops, throw on some shoes, grab the helmet and take the DR

c) kick off the flip-flops, drop the shorts, put on jeans, jacket, gloves, full-face and take either bike

d) take the car

What I do and in what order.....a, d, b then c.

To me, for just running a quick errand, it's not worth the effort to change clothes and put on protective gear for a very short ride even though I KNOW the risks are pretty much the same as a long ride.

I have an option of taking a car many don't have that option. So in my scenario, your at your house with all your gear wherever you store it, kicking back with friends in shorts, t-shirt and flops...do you still don full gear for a quick store run or maybe just long pants, shoes and a helmet or do you take the car knowing its not safe to ride without all the gear?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post

Do you wear wristguards?

Ahhhhh, I see now.

I have admitted (in this very forum) to cheating at ATGATT a few weekends ago under similar circumstances that blk betty describes. It was household repairs, not a party, but I was in a rush, and in the end I was VERY uncomfortable without my gear (like I am without a seatbelt in my cage any more). It literally takes my 5 minutes to be ATGATT and I would just prefer to have it on.

I don't own a LEATT brace, but do you think the difference between a t-shirt and a Kilimanjaro jacket is a similar analogy? I don't.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:14 PM   #109
Ultravoyageant
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by PachmanP View Post
All of it all the time. I'll take the car if the ride is shorter than the time it takes to get suited up. It sucks and I miss some opportunities to ride, but I have a strong attachment to my skin. I've used all the gear I wear.

That said if you want to ride in flip flops and shorts, that's your decision.
I really don't have to add any more to it than this said above, but I will. It is completely your decision to wear or not wear whatever you want when on your bike. I'm very glad that you yourself said that the statement you mentioned at the beginning of this thread was "at least a bit over the top":

"ATGATT is overrated.... it's for guys who are either too afraid of a boo-boo or those who feel like they have to put on an amour suit to prove how manly they are to participate in such a dangerous activity...."

All I can say about the above is if nothing else you are a master of understatement.

Here are some of the reasons why I wear ATTGATT every damn time I go out on the bike;

1)Everywhere that I've been in the world the laws of physics are in full effect, whether I like it or not.

2)As a person who used to put in tens of thousands of miles a year training when I was racing road bicycles I've unfortunately seen more than my fair share of accidents (more than a few involving me) involving one or more cyclists meeting terra firma at 30, 40, 50mph, and sometimes faster. The aftermath was never pretty, and sometimes it was downright grisly. Earlier today In fact I rode past what appeared to be the aftermath of a cyclist crashing on a steep hill where he must have been going at least 50 when he went down. There was enough blood where at first I was looking for the car that hit him. There was none, just road that rose up to meet him. Seeing that shit today reminded me why I wear ATTGATT on my 100+HP bike that goes way more than 50mph. It also has me thinking about how I can wear more protective gear on my next bicycle ride.

3)No god has ever contacted me granting me dispensation from the effects the road will wreak upon my body were I to suddenly fling myself at it at a high rate of speed. Since I am currently without divine protection I make do with ATTGATT.

4)I am not in this world alone. That is, I am married, I have family and friends who I would like to reassure that while this isn't the safest occupation out there I do my best to mitigate some of the danger by staying frosty when out on the bike, keeping a high situational awareness, riding within my abilities and wearing the protective kit. If there is a way I can wear something that increases my ability to walk away from an accident vs being carried away I'll do that, because I don't want to have to have my wife helping me change yards of bandages on road rash I could have avoided, all because I want to hop on the bike in a second to get a pint of milk. That's some irresponsible and selfish shit on my part, and since I'm neither the irresponsible nor selfish type, I choose to wear ATTGATT, or take a car if I don't have the time to put the gear on.

5)Road rash fucking hurts, and I'd like that I never have to deal with that bullshit ever again. I'm man enough to to admit that.

So if you're under the protection of a god, live in some parallel universe where the laws of physics do not apply, are selfish or irresponsible then by all means do continue to ride sans ATTGATT. You're a grown ass adult, so you got that.

Oscar Wilde
Ultravoyageant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:15 PM   #110
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,196
Quote:

Do you wear wristguards?

no. as i dont wear leathers any more no sinces i grow out of the free stuff. now just wear textles top nd bottom. and you cant do a trackday an less you wear leathers.
Klr650c the 1 I should not of wasted my money on
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike
orangebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:25 PM   #111
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,196
i allways wear full gear on the road. as i wont to keep my skin if i ever come off and slid.
i dont have a car any more as its cheaper and more fun to run a bike so even if it take a we bit longer to get the gear on i can get the quick on the bike than a car any way.

i dont bother wearing a helmet or any other gear when i ride OFFROAD . just wear my bike boots and gloves and jeans and a hoody. as i ride that slow off road the gear is not needed

if you dont wear a helmet you are a massive fool. becosue if you went down at 30 and slid up the road you my get road rash on you face what wont end well. its why i hate those point less beaning helmets. the ones that are sold in the uk are just gifts and cant cant be used on the road any more.
Klr650c the 1 I should not of wasted my money on
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike
orangebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:28 PM   #112
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,187
Quote:

Do you wear wristguards?

Good thoughts- but more applicable to racing certainly.
The car racing equal would be 5 point harness, roll cage, helmet, neck brace...

Certainly "standard" road ATGATT has limitiations, but lack of gear only magnifies a problem- to me like driving w/o seatbelts.

ANd for those who argue the cost of gear, you should price the cost of a small skin graft
Old 04-06-2012, 11:08 PM   #113
Future ten
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
The term itself irritates me but I have spent good money on nice gear that makes the ride all the more enjoyable, myself a bit more visible. In FL a nice vented jacket and good flowing lid along with the basics keeps the heat at a minimum and in the event of a fall, keeps you from roasting while laying on hot pavement. (a true concern)

The cost should be non existent, most are riding 15 and 20+ thousand dollar bikes. Mc close out gear rules. Superstore as well. If you can't afford a set of decent gear your in the wrong place.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:57 PM   #114
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,053
Whenever I ride, I typically wear,

Nolan modular helmet.
Barbour International jacket.
French MC police gloves.
Jeans
Redwing 917 steel toe MC/work boots.

Some folks would consider that "all the gear", some "most the gear", and some would consider it totally inadequate

I ride a Ural so low siding and high speeds are not part of the equation, I ride hard but conservatively and it is my full time all weather transportation. I wear what I feel is a reasonable compromise in comfort, convience, protection and cost.

I don't deny that there may be some increased risk in what I choose to wear, but I don't feel it is unreasonable or foolish increase in risk.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:09 AM   #115
RuckedUp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,008
Quote:

Do you wear wristguards?

Brace: off road yes
Airbag vest: yes for road rides
Chest protector: compression shirt off road
No wrist.
No track day.
Enduro/rally yes
10' KTM 450EXC
84' Honda 500VT Ascot
RuckedUp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:11 AM   #116
slojon
SLOJON

Oddometer: 522
In a word. NO!!!!!!!
slojon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 02:36 AM   #117
Wraith Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 913
Yes, ATGATT is overrated. I don't consider myself ATG even if I'm ATG, because I did choose my gear not only for protection but for comfort. Textile with leather applications instead of full leather, thin gloves with small, soft protectors instead of kevlar inlays, only a small, soft back protector and only ankle-deep shoes instead of heavy boots.
It's my alldays clothing as well, so it has to be comfy and often I change the pants for leather jeans.

And yes, although I have to wear a helmet by law I don't do it every time. You could catch me with full gear except the helmet if I'm in that mood or with no protective gear at all. Even have been riding in my bathrobe to the letter box. Would you go ATGATT for a walk through the city? Me neither! (Quite dangerous, considering how many pedestrians are killed by cars.)
Old 04-07-2012, 03:24 AM   #118
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,279
> Do you always wear a neck brace, like LEATT?

No, but. Wear a neck collar. I have neck damage from a previous accident and the support for the helmet helps.

> Do you wear an airbag vest/jacket?

No.

> Do you wear a chest/thorax protector?

Usually. Hot as hell here most of the year, mesh jacket on top of armour works best.

> Do you wear wristguards?

No.

> Would your "gear" be adequate for a trackday?

No.

> Would your "gear" be adequate for a supercross/motocross/enduro/rally race?

No.

============================================

But - it's more than O.K. for commuting and the riding I do. I could get away with less than I usually wear.
============================================

Comment: Collected a kangaroo a couple of week ago, took no damage , which surprised the hell out of me. Took the demons for a walk today (same route, same time of day). No more roo's , but there was a pretty fucked up cyclist sitting at the side of the road (With friends/ambulance on the way), broken arm, broken ribs. All he done was misjudge a corner ....

Put the risks in perspective for me. I'm O.K. with the gear I have :)

Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 04:20 AM   #119
KradmelderSA
Banned

Oddometer: 846
I rarely wear everything. Only on long distance trips, bad weather, or bad gravel roads.

Everything is enduro helmet, fabric jacket and trousers, gloves, boots.

MX boots only if very muddy or sandy, other lather boots like Formas.
Commuting to work is ony jacket, gloves and helmet
tar on highway, padded bike jean or normal office trousers, normal shoes or light city boot,s gloves, helmet, jacket
around town on the weekend. Just helmet and gloves. never go without these. Not even to the shop. And never in shorts.

Im not going to kit up so that riding becomes an effort and not enjoyable. Then I may as well cage. I ride every day. Its my main transport and the cage is a necessarily evil I use once every 2 weeks to transport my kids and carry big stuff. I will ride in the rain before I get in a cage.

I guess I play the acceptable risk game. The more risk, the more I wear. But neck brace and additional hard armour under neath the frabric jacket....well maybe if I blasting off to outer space

KradmelderSA screwed with this post 04-07-2012 at 04:48 AM
KradmelderSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 04:46 AM   #120
outsidein
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 423
I have to wear gear anyway most of the time just to stay warm where I ride. Might as well wear protective stuff. Never ride without a FF helmet, gloves, boots, jacket and usually wear motorcycle pants or kevlar jeans. In my job in health care I've seen way to much carnage resulting from what happens when you crash with out it. BTW half helmets only give you less than half the head protection of a full face helmet. Something like 35% of head impacts are to the face and chin. As for buying a cruiser style leather jacket made out of paper thin leather and no armor, whats the point? Bones can heal but damaged knees, shoulders, elbows, etc. never work properly again after an injury - a little CE padding can go a long way to save your joints.
outsidein is offline   Reply With Quote