Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2012, 08:27 PM   #1
leeinmemphis OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,040
looking for suggestions on Burgman 400 vs Tmax

Hey everyone,

I am looking to sell my vrod to fund a scooter and am torn between the two. I have a couple dealers in the area that still have new '09 Tmax scooters or going with a Burgman 400. I have had a chance to sit on both and they both sit well for me. I will be using it for primary transportation.

The positives: I like the Tmax's style and from what I've read it's more sporty than the Burgman. On the other hand I like the Burgman because I can get one with abs and I believe the re-sell value will be higher with the Burgman. I've had lots of m/c's over the years but we just got into the scooter game last fall. We are loving our helix and my wife is wanting to spend more time on it so that boots me off. .....that's a good thing.

The negatives for me are: I have never seen a tmax in my area. I'm a little weary about being able to find people to work on it if it gets to be something complicated. I do basic services and tire changes but much more than that I start getting in a little over my head. There are a few burgmans in our area but the scooter scene isn't real prevalent in our area.

Anyway leaving the cost of the two bikes out of the equation what do you guys think would be a better fit? I'm 40 y/o, 6' tall and go about 245lbs. I've had all sorts of motorcycles from gsxr's to full dresser harleys. I think the tmax will be more fun to ride but am only going with what I've read online.
leeinmemphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:05 PM   #2
knucklehead90
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
I think a better comparison would be the Tmax to the Honda Silverwing or the 650 Burgman since each is a twin cylinder motor - the 400 Burgman is a single cylinder. If you are looking for sportbike like handling the Tmax is the one to get. The downside of the Tmax is limited storage vs the Silverwing or the 650 Burgman - and is physically smaller. You might be more comfortable on long trips with the 650 Burgman since it has more room than the Tmax or the Silverwing. After trying out a Silverwing and a 650 Burgman it took no time at all to decide on the 650. There was no Tmax in my area to test ride but those who have report that its similar in size to the Majesty - and I already had the Majesty and like it well enough except for the leg room.
1971 Karmann Ghia
2013 VW Jetta TDi Premium
knucklehead90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:15 AM   #3
Phipsd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
it would depend what I wanted to do. The 400 Burgman is more of a cruiser, but a practical one that is ideal for commuting with it's better fuel economy, ABS and huge storage. My next bike will be a 400 Burgman for camping touring where the extra storage will be much more useful for my camping gear than dragging the handlebars in the corners.

However if I wnated a scooter mainly for serious backroad fun it would be no contest, the T-Max would rule.
Phipsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 04:13 AM   #4
soboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,285
I tested a '08 Burgman 400 and I bought a '09 Tmax. Here's why in a nutshell: the Tmax rides like a very good motorcycle, the Burgman like a very good scooter. Now a more detailed explanation - I have been riding since 1972 and have ridden just about everything. Due to back and hand injuries, my favorite type of riding, dual sport motorcycles, is no longer feasible. But I did not want to give up riding. I tested almost every big scooter out there and the only one that rocked my world was the Tmax. It has character and performance (ok, it is not fast by any means, but it will outcorner and outbrake many motorcycles). After using my DR650 as my primary street ride since 2006, I was wanting the smoothness of a twin for my next bike. In the Burgman's favor, it is quicker than I expected for a single. It corners well (but not as well as the Tmax). It holds a lot of stuff under the seat. It is comfy. But, I did not like the engine sound or the wind management on the 400.
"Reason takes a holiday as Dr. Horrible spends money he doesn't have, on a motorcycle he doesn't need, in a misguided attempt to recapture his youth which, upon reflection, wasn't all that great in the first place."
"Ride to the bar in your pirate outfit, guzzle some beer, play "Free Bird' on the juke box and then go home. Badass."
soboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:28 AM   #5
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,627
You are comparing two very different machines. As some have already pointed out many of the points to note; I'll confine myself to just the major aspects.

The Burgman 400, as with the majority of scooter models, has a motor attached to the swinging fork (swingarm) so it pivots up and down with suspension movement. The complete exhaust system (with muffler) does this too, and you'll be able to see the muffler just twist as you push on the pillion seat to compress, and release, the rear suspension. There will be a noticeable rearward mass bias due to the engine position.

The Yamaha Tmax (along with Silverwing, and Burgman 650) has its motor mounted in the frame in the fashion of the motorcycle. The weight distribution will be like a motorcycle (as with the Burg 650) and the muffler is, again, frame mounted so compressing the rear will move the muffler closer to the road rather than just twist it scooter fashion.

The differences mean that many choose the Burg 400 for its 62 litre under seat carrying capacity , cruiser-like sitting position, and the low seat height (410mm).

Those opting for the Tmax are not bothered so much by its 32 liters (approx) of underseat luggage space, but are drawn by its more sportsbike-like seating (at 800mm), sportbike-like handling, and having 15" wheels at both ends.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:45 AM   #6
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,694
I'll take one of each please.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:58 AM   #7
lowbuckrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbolling View Post
I'll take one of each please.
To me you can't go wrong with either scoot, all the points above are valid it boils down to what suits you the best, try to ride both and chose that way. The T-Max was my second choice over the Burgman E 650 for 3 reasons; 1. No ABS. 2 Smaller under seat storage. 3. The Burgman has the best online support of any scooter I have ever seen http://burgmanusa.com/forums/index.php I am sure you will be happy with what ever you pick, now go have fun.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:09 PM   #8
leeinmemphis OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,040
Thanks everyone. I spent the morning test riding a couple of scooters. One was a Kymco 250cc and the other was a Piaggio x9. I really didn't care for the way the x9 handled but I liked the Kymco. I took both for a test ride and when I came back into the parking lot the Kymco was sitting over on it's side. Left side was pretty rashed up. Honestly I was prepared to buy the Kymco because I liked the way it handled but they weren't wanting to make much of a deal on it considering that it probably had $1k of body damage. Left mirror, left cowl, left footrest, and left tail section were all messed up. They said someone much have knocked it over but thankfully it wasn't me that did it!!! I tried to negotiate but they didn't really look like they were wanting to sell it even so that the bodywork was damaged.

Now that I've had time to think about it I'm going to wait to get home and try to get the tmax. It probably has enough "sport" in it that it would satisfy my occasional need for some curvy roads.
leeinmemphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:06 PM   #9
Twisted Martini
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Love my TMAX, inexpensive mid-life crisis.
Twisted Martini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:14 PM   #10
gknepper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
I went through the Burgman 400 vs Tmax debate about a year ago. Test rode both, and liked the ride and seating position of the Tmax better. Bought the Tmax and never looked back.
gknepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:56 PM   #11
TheReaper!
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 638
Best scooter and best bang for the buck $$$ , is a 2009 left over Tmax .
I've heard recently that some have been sold for less than 6K (U.S.$) out the door .
It's a great scooter and it's by far the best $6,000 scooter in the world .

That's my 2 cents .......TheReaper!
TheReaper! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:55 AM   #12
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeinmemphis View Post
Thanks everyone. I spent the morning test riding a couple of scooters. One was a Kymco 250cc and the other was a Piaggio x9. I really didn't care for the way the x9 handled but I liked the Kymco. I took both for a test ride and when I came back into the parking lot the Kymco was sitting over on it's side. Left side was pretty rashed up. Honestly I was prepared to buy the Kymco because I liked the way it handled but they weren't wanting to make much of a deal on it considering that it probably had $1k of body damage. Left mirror, left cowl, left footrest, and left tail section were all messed up. They said someone much have knocked it over but thankfully it wasn't me that did it!!! I tried to negotiate but they didn't really look like they were wanting to sell it even so that the bodywork was damaged.

Now that I've had time to think about it I'm going to wait to get home and try to get the tmax. It probably has enough "sport" in it that it would satisfy my occasional need for some curvy roads.
The local Kymco dealer here in Huntsville has a new 2010 250S for $3999 OTD in case you're interested.

If you prefer the upright seating position of the 250S, have you considered the Kymco GT300I??

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:47 PM   #13
Tacoma
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
the reason I love my Tmax is because nobody else in my area owns one!
and I know there's not many out there that are for sale, finding one is lucky
In my opnion the Tmax will go down in history as a great scooter, or a scooter that changed the rules, very few were sold in the U.S. between 2009-2011, when it was brought to Yamaha Dealers in 2009 only a handfull were sold, in 2010 they were giving them away and the dealers told Yamaha not to send them anymore cause they can't sell them, so in 2011 very, very few were shipped to dealers in the U.S.
They were no 2012 model for the U.S. market and nobody knows if the 2013 Tmax 530 will even be sold in the U.S. (no plans at this time)

NOW everybody wants one!

think of it as that 1964 Mustang that only 200 were made, then few years later everybody wanted a Mustang

you know something? I still hate that Yamaha Dealer I purchaced my Tmax from cause he ranted and raved what a POS it was and he was stuck with them, the more that dealer cut down the Tmax the more I wanted it, then after I told him I wanted to buy it he told me I was crazy going from a crotch, sportbike to a scooter, he told me not to bring it back, he was laughing at me for wanting one. But thats the reason I love my Tmax,,, its me, it defines me! I don't want that same stamped out assembley line scooter that everybody else rides, its like they are like robots that are weak minded and play follow the leader, but owning the Tmax is taking that chance that everybody else is afraid to buy. The new scooter thats taking that chance now is the Honda PCX, thats the one i would buy right now, thats the one thats exciting!
Tacoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:19 PM   #14
miboso
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
NOW everybody wants one!
I don't.

Quote:
its me, it defines me
No, it's your words and actions that define you, not the bike you ride.

I know this will probably be wasted on you, but I just had to give logic a try
Old 04-13-2012, 08:00 PM   #15
Hardguy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by miboso View Post
I don't.

No, it's your words and actions that define you, not the bike you ride.

I know this will probably be wasted on you, but I just had to give logic a try
Fully WASTED on the TMAX nazi for sure...
Hardguy is offline   Reply With Quote