User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2012, 03:49 AM   #1
JohnnyTh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
Autocom bike to bike.

I have a pair of autocom active pluss, a few years old. And now looking into buying 2 kenwood 3301 radio so i can use them bike to bike. Anyone have any experience with this?

Johnny
JohnnyTh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:50 PM   #2
lvscrvs
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 613
we use motorola frs radios with our autocom/starcom.... work well up to about 1 mile... fine for the riding we do, but i'm also curious to know how much better the kenwood radios really are... they seem to be much more expensive

Tiger 955i / Yamaha WR250R < Tiger 955i / DRZ400S / R1150GS < FJR1300 < DL1000 < BMW R1100RS < Ducati ST4 < DL650 zzzzz 30+ years zzzzz 125 Honda Elsinore < Suzuki TM250 < Yamaha 90 Enduro < Taco
lvscrvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:49 PM   #3
Lisa_ST
Autocom Guru

Oddometer: 9
Kenwood vs Motorola

The major differences are:
1) clarity of sound with built-in VOX
2) the ability to charge the radios right on the bike while using them

Lisa
Lisa@autocomdiect.com
Lisa@divenrideadventures.com
Lisa_ST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:30 AM   #4
dave54
mindless thoughts

Oddometer: 56
I use a kenwood tk3201 as part of an autocom system and have found it to be a solid product.audio is strong and when using it for bike to bike, its the best at vox sending and recieving then anything else other guysI know were using, I power mine off the bike by connecting it to an autocom super pro avi which is switched on at ignition which in turn is bluetooth connected to a zumo 550 and smartphone.The set up suits my needs as I have additional capacity to add music or a second head set for the rear seat.One problem you may find a bit of a pain is when you have several different types of radios to be tuned in to the set frequency.For me the best way is for one guy to set up all the radios so that at least one guy knows whats working and whats causing issues.But if you want quality vox, kenwood to kenwood is the best bet.You should also retain the option of ptt when sending or recieving to radios with bad quality vox or limited rangeThe ability to shut off vox is a lifesaver for me as the other guys system may not be set up as well as yours.

dave54 screwed with this post 04-25-2012 at 09:44 AM
dave54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:19 PM   #5
JohnnyTh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thsnk. Great info.
Im buying 2 kenwood rasios. One for me and one for my wife. So bad radios wont be a issue. I only have a active pluss intercom so cant power the radio with the autocom but looks like the is a option for powering directly from the bike
Old 04-13-2012, 10:40 PM   #6
RocketMoto
2 Many Motersikles

Oddometer: 907
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyTh View Post
Thsnk. Great info.
Im buying 2 kenwood rasios. One for me and one for my wife. So bad radios wont be a issue. I only have a active pluss intercom so cant power the radio with the autocom but looks like the is a option for powering directly from the bike
Our TK3300's are pre-programmed and ready to go with Autocom's preferred frequencies, but we can custom program them, as well at no additional charge. The AC-2342 bike power adapter is the way to go - flip on the ignition switch and the Autocom and Kenwood are powered up and ready to go.

For best transmit range and enhanced receive, you may want to consider an external stealth blade antenna kit, as well.
Autocom | TPX Radar/Laser | Sena Bluetooth
| Hi-Power LED Lights
Shorai Battery | Techmount | Powerlet | Rowe PDM60 | Skene Design

RocketMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:08 AM   #7
JohnnyTh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I have the older active pluss autocom system. Can the radios be powered off the bike?
Old 04-15-2012, 12:47 AM   #8
RocketMoto
2 Many Motersikles

Thumb

Quote:
I have the older active pluss autocom system. Can the radios be powered off the bike?
Definitely. The Active Plus puts out 9 volts on the gray bike-to-bike connector, where the newer Autocom Logic and Super Pro Automatic put out 12 volts. Part 1402 is the proper power adapter for your Active Plus.
| Hi-Power LED Lights

Old 04-16-2012, 10:09 AM   #9
V-Tom
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 743
I forgot the model number, but I have a Kenwood that is powered by my Autocom system. If works very well, much better than the consumer motorolas I used previously.

My Autocom always has my iPod contested, plus has a Zumo 660 that can do voice directions and music if I like. I can use the bluetooth on the 660 for the phone (I rarely do that) and can talk to passenger on e back. It all works well. My Autocom is an Avi pro (I think is the name) but Ive done similar with a more bid Autocom that I have.

Most riders I know use channel 7 sub 14. If we all use that frequency then eventually we'll all be able to talk with other riders.

..Tom

Why Cars don't see bikes (SMIDSY)
SMIDSY detailed report
V-Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:24 AM   #10
JohnnyTh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Today i recived my new tk-3301 kenwood radios. And i did a range test using them hand held only. And the test was impresive. Close to 4km in hilly terain.

But i cant get the VOX working. Autocom said i needed cable 2369 to conect the radios. Bought that and set it All up today. But i could npt get the VOX function on the 3301 working. I could hear the radios beep in my helmet headset but the radio did not work like it should when conected to a headset.

Anyone else had this problem

Johnny
Old 04-24-2012, 05:16 PM   #11
BoxerDoc
Still a nOOb

Oddometer: 107
In my setups, the Autocom handles the VOX function. It detects your voice and keys the radio to transmit. The radio itself may have an internal feature for VOX, but it wouldn't be necessary for the Autocom function. At least that's how I understand it. If you could provide some more details about what's happening/not--maybe we could help you out. I know on my SuperPro AVi there's a light that comes on when the unit's VOX is activated. I can hear my own voice coming through my speakers. And then the radio will light up a red LED to indicate transmit. If all those things are happening, for instance, and you hear nothing on another radio tuned to the same channel with the volume turned up, then it could be a faulty input connection for the mic audio.
BoxerDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:49 PM   #12
JohnnyTh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Nothing happens. I only have audio from my helmet speekers, when uperating the radios settings. The radio dont transmitt when i speek. No red light or anything. Even if i push the ptt key it wont try to send. If i unplug the autocom evrything works normaly.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:00 AM   #13
RocketMoto
2 Many Motersikles

Autocom Kenwood TK3300 troubleshooting

Quote:
Nothing happens. I only have audio from my helmet speekers, when uperating the radios settings. The radio dont transmitt when i speek. No red light or anything. Even if i push the ptt key it wont try to send. If i unplug the autocom evrything works normaly.
Be sure that you have the VOX function in the radio turned OFF. As noted above, VOX transmit is handled by the Active plus.

If VOX isn't working and you have VOX switched OFF in the radio, these are the following places that could be at fault:

• Radio's speaker/mic connection faulty. Try a second radio to isolate.
  • 2369 Autocom lead faulty. Try a second lead if you have one.
  • 2356 lead (with the gray connector( from the Active Plus is faulty, or connecter not fully seated on the Active Plus circuit board
  • Faulty Active Plus circuit board
If you can try any of these things, above that will help you sort out what's going on. You should also call whomever you purchased the radios and 2369 lead from. If that's us, be sure to give a call and we'll help you sort it straight away, 877.533.4245, 9AM-6PM eastern time.
| Hi-Power LED Lights

Old 04-25-2012, 04:51 AM   #14
JohnnyTh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thank you for your help. Sadly i did npt buy it from you. But i will next time. Even if i live in norway.

I did some more testing today and when i conect evrything and turn the 3301 on it says confirm, then after 5 sec it beeps. I can then hear incomming audio. Ifq i leave evrything on and conect the grey cable to the autocom the 3301 will start sending, led turn red and others can hear me. But it will not stop sending.

I have tried 2 diferent 3301. 2 bikes with autocom and 3 helmets. I suspect now that its the 3301's vox thats the problem.
I thought i had to activate that but i thought i did not get it working. How can i tell if that is no. I do not have a headset exept for the autcom headsets. And cant figure out how to turn it off if its on

Thank you

Johnny
Old 04-25-2012, 08:59 AM   #15
dave54
mindless thoughts

Oddometer: 56
the most frustrating part sometimes is the setting up of the radio.bike powered is preferable for vox as battery drain will impact on your usage .
1.press and hold the call key while turning the radio on and continue to hold the call key until the led lights orange and the radio announces "vox"if you already have a confirm for vox on your radio you will also need to set the vox gain level up(call) or down(monitor) save it in less then 5 seconds by pressing the ptt button.turn the radio off and on again to activate vox. Apologies if I`m stating the obvious but thats how I set my kenwood up.To set up vox your head and mike sets must be connected to the radios..If you are then connecting to an autocom system that will control your vox , you must deactivate the vox fuction on your radio by turning the vox gain level to off.

dave54 screwed with this post 04-25-2012 at 09:31 AM
dave54 is offline   Reply With Quote