Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2013, 05:48 PM   #46
Florida Lime
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,024
I know that graphic is at least very similar to the 2012, but the Cycle Trader ad says 2014.
Wouldn't be the first typo I've seen either.
'08 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S -- Going, still for sale.
Florida Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:15 PM   #47
everetto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 325
I have the opportunity to trade my 2 month old 690 Duke towards a '13 RC8R, for a very fair deal in my opinion.

With that said, I have the possibility of a ride from New Mexico to San Diego in about a month and I am wondering if either bike is up to the task..... ha ha, I am really wondering if I am up to the task, I am certainly not young anymore. Can you guys offer some insight into the relative "comfort" of the RC8R for putting on some real miles? Is it realistic? Thanks in advance for any insight!
everetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:23 PM   #48
apessino
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by everetto View Post
I have the opportunity to trade my 2 month old 690 Duke towards a '13 RC8R, for a very fair deal in my opinion.

With that said, I have the possibility of a ride from New Mexico to San Diego in about a month and I am wondering if either bike is up to the task..... ha ha, I am really wondering if I am up to the task, I am certainly not young anymore. Can you guys offer some insight into the relative "comfort" of the RC8R for putting on some real miles? Is it realistic? Thanks in advance for any insight!
Assuming you don't have any specific health problems it is not only realistic, it is downright trivial.

The RC8R is the most comfortable sportbike I have ever ridden (and I have ridden basically all of them ). It is also the most adjustable right out of the box. If you are going to put lots of miles on it just raise the clipons, lower the rearsets, lower the ride height (if that is even an issue).

The engine is smooth as glass, the handling is brilliant and super-stable, the bike cruises at 100 mph with about as much drama as my K1300S and it is almost as roomy. Wind protection and aerodynamics are stellar.

Do it - you will love it.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:35 PM   #49
Deftone1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Congrats on the new bike, sir.

I have an 07 990 Super Duke. I really love it. 20k miles, no problems.

I have an 02 200EXC as well, never had a problem. Can't bring myself to replace it because it works so well in the woods.

My 1st KTM was an 01 Duke II. Had that bike for a few years and it was totally trouble free and a blast to ride.
'02 KTM 200EXC
'91 DR350S
Deftone1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:35 PM   #50
everetto
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by apessino View Post
Assuming you don't have any specific health problems it is not only realistic, it is downright trivial.

The RC8R is the most comfortable sportbike I have ever ridden (and I have ridden basically all of them ). It is also the most adjustable right out of the box. If you are going to put lots of miles on it just raise the clipons, lower the rearsets, lower the ride height (if that is even an issue).

The engine is smooth as glass, the handling is brilliant and super-stable, the bike cruises at 100 mph with about as much drama as my K1300S and it is almost as roomy. Wind protection and aerodynamics are stellar.

Do it - you will love it.
Just what I wanted to hear - I think.... Thank you for the reply, I am sure leaning towards it, will update here if it happens.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:46 PM   #51
rpmwfo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Quote:

I know a 400 mile day in the canyons is no big deal. Just did this weekend. I chose the RC8R due to the overall ergonomics. The bike is incredibly comfortable for a sportbike. The thing is phenomenal when the road gets twisty. Not sure about luggage on the RC8R, but I am sure it could be figured out for a trip.
2003 ZX12R
2013 KTM RC8R
rpmwfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:49 PM   #52
everetto
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmwfo View Post
I know a 400 mile day in the canyons is no big deal. Just did this weekend. I chose the RC8R due to the overall ergonomics. The bike is incredibly comfortable for a sportbike. The thing is phenomenal when the road gets twisty. Not sure about luggage on the RC8R, but I am sure it could be figured out for a trip.
Thanks for your reoly as well. I have a nice tail bag that supposedly is shaped/designed for sport bikes so if I end up getting the bike I will try to make the tail bag work for the CA trip.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:53 PM   #53
apessino
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks for your reoly as well. I have a nice tail bag that supposedly is shaped/designed for sport bikes so if I end up getting the bike I will try to make the tail bag work for the CA trip.
I use this one:

It is awesome because it locks into the two holes that hold the passenger seat and can be removed with the key. Not very big but hey, unless you need to camp it fits the essentials and for the rest all you need is a credit card.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:48 AM   #54
tallrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
I have a 2012 rc8 that I enjoy immensely. I went out looking for a 1200vfr or possibly a K1300s sat on the ktm and that was it. I am 6'7", mid fifties and can ride the bike all day.

I extended the pegs down and to the rear by making longer spacers for the rearsets. I am in the middle of adding 4 inch apex riser/clip-ons with the idea of going forward as much as I can and a little bit up at the bars.

For travel I use a Kriega 30 on a little rack I made which use the mounts for the pillion seat along with the KTM tank bag. Easily pack for 4-5 days of hotel travel.

In addition to being a great canyon carver I think the rc8 is a fantastic unsung sport tourer with a heavy emphasis on sport. So far the only flaw is that it is so relaxed at speed you really have to watch yourself or you'll spend extra time in expensive roadside conversations.
tallrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:36 PM   #55
everetto
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I use this one:

It is awesome because it locks into the two holes that hold the passenger seat and can be removed with the key. Not very big but hey, unless you need to camp it fits the essentials and for the rest all you need is a credit card.
Looks like a slick setup, if my laptop will fit in that bag I may get one for my daily commute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrider View Post
I have a 2012 rc8 that I enjoy immensely. I went out looking for a 1200vfr or possibly a K1300s sat on the ktm and that was it. I am 6'7", mid fifties and can ride the bike all day.

I extended the pegs down and to the rear by making longer spacers for the rearsets. I am in the middle of adding 4 inch apex riser/clip-ons with the idea of going forward as much as I can and a little bit up at the bars.

For travel I use a Kriega 30 on a little rack I made which use the mounts for the pillion seat along with the KTM tank bag. Easily pack for 4-5 days of hotel travel.

In addition to being a great canyon carver I think the rc8 is a fantastic unsung sport tourer with a heavy emphasis on sport. So far the only flaw is that it is so relaxed at speed you really have to watch yourself or you'll spend extra time in expensive roadside conversations.
More positive reviews, thanks for posting.

Looks like I made the deal today.

I won't pick up the bike for a week or two.

I can't wait.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:38 PM   #56
apessino
Beastly Adventurer

Old 08-30-2013, 10:47 AM   #57
KPK
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
How is the Katoom compared to the HP4 Beemer? I have ridden the Beemer and know it will just freight train the KTM in all out power but how does the handling compare?
KPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:30 AM   #58
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPK View Post
How is the Katoom compared to the HP4 Beemer? I have ridden the Beemer and know it will just freight train the KTM in all out power but how does the handling compare?
the RC8R compared to an s1000rr.....

RC8R feels lighter and easier to lean side to side. you feel like you can hit your target with ease.

s1000rr feels heavier but more stable. with ABS, TC, wheelie control, etc. you feel like you can go faster because you THINK you have a safety net.
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:27 PM   #59
tallrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
I find the rc8r to be a great rhythm bike. You can place it so precisely in a corner and the V-twin has great torque anywhere past 2500rpm. With the strong engine braking you can lazily rip through the canyons without a lot of work, little shifting or braking.

The s1000rr is a good ride as well but different in that, for me anyhow, you need to be in a more aggressive mind set to enjoy it. It is, however, stonking fast.

Both bikes are outstanding in their own way. I guess it's a question of what you're looking for.
tallrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 04:29 PM   #60
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,201
Range?

What kind of fuel mileage (US mpg) and overall range are you guys seeing when riding on the street at non-track speeds? I've heard that like all KTM twins, the RC8/R is thirsty, with a relatively small tank.

Short of going to a full SPORT-tourer (ST4s / CBR-XX), the best compromise I've seen to date are the late model Triumph 955i Daytona's - good ergos, stable, enough power, enough handling, and a 21-liter (5.5 gallon) tank. The same era ZX-9R is up there, too.

None of them have the ergos, performance, adjustability and style of the RC8/R, but touring the Western US, I prefer some decent range.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote