Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2013, 04:34 PM   #61
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,033
I actually got 170-180 on a tank once. . pins and needles during the last 20 miles

there is an Actual MPG gauge. it goes to 50-60 on the highway in sixth gear

on a trackday the low fuel light comes on at the same time as a s1000rr
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:06 PM   #62
everetto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 319
Exhaust

Regarding the Akra exhaust, it looks like you can buy just the muffler, or you can buy the full system with header pipes and the muffler. My primary interest in considering the Akra is the weight reduction, potential heat reduction (assuming the stock muffler is a cat), and the sound improvement. Do you guys think doing just the muffler is worthwhile, and would that require a re-map?
everetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:10 PM   #63
apessino
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,221
Unfortunately you cannot buy just the muffler - well, you can, but it won't mount unless you also replace the headers. If you buy the whole system the dealer can enable the map your bike already has for it.

The thing is just crazy expensive for an exhaust you cannot even see! I passed on it even though I hate how muffled the sound of the bike is in stock form.

On the plus side, my RC8R is supremely civilized and neighbor friendy, unlike my Diavel...
Old 09-04-2013, 04:20 PM   #64
apessino
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4d View Post
the RC8R compared to an s1000rr.....
Compared to an S1K the RC8R feels... well, slow. Then again, pretty much everything feels slow compared to the mighty BMW beast. Given an equally skilled rider the S1K is faster in every way.

Yet, the RC8 is supremely soulful and completely unique in character, its agility and handling among the best ever achieved on a motorcycle. They are fundamentally different riding experiences - honestly I don't prefer one to the other, I appreciate each for what it offers. You can't go wrong with either one.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:44 PM   #65
everetto
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by apessino View Post
Unfortunately you cannot buy just the muffler - well, you can, but it won't mount unless you also replace the headers. If you buy the whole system the dealer can enable the map your bike already has for it.

The thing is just crazy expensive for an exhaust you cannot even see! I passed on it even though I hate how muffled the sound of the bike is in stock form.

On the plus side, my RC8R is supremely civilized and neighbor friendy, unlike my Diavel...
Thanks for the clarification, I agree that is a lot of coin for the whole system. I have also been reading about the JCE system which actually does not look bad, and the price is much more reasonable. No hurry though, I need to get to know the bike first.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:49 PM   #66
apessino
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by everetto View Post
Thanks for the clarification, I agree that is a lot of coin for the whole system. I have also been reading about the JCE system which actually does not look bad, and the price is much more reasonable. No hurry though, I need to get to know the bike first.
I looked into those too - the more I read about them the more scared I got (perhaps unreasonably so).

Lots of stories about ill fitting cans and melting bodywork, hesitation/stalling/bad fueling, etc. Unless you are willing to also go for a Bazzaz (or equivalent) and proper remap you will negatively affect the fueling. It took THIS LONG for KTM to get it right, I ain't going to mess with it...
Old 09-05-2013, 12:10 PM   #67
everetto
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by apessino View Post
Lots of stories about ill fitting cans and melting bodywork, hesitation/stalling/bad fueling, etc. Unless you are willing to also go for a Bazzaz (or equivalent) and proper remap you will negatively affect the fueling. It took THIS LONG for KTM to get it right, I ain't going to mess with it...
I tend to agree with you, if the bike works well why ask for problems. If down the road I just have to have an exhaust system I think I will go for the full Akra system and associated KTM map.

everetto screwed with this post 09-06-2013 at 11:57 AM
Old 09-07-2013, 06:10 PM   #68
everetto
Gnarly Adventurer

The RC8 is in the house!

Old 09-07-2013, 07:57 PM   #69
apessino
Beastly Adventurer

Congrats! I like your style...
Old 09-08-2013, 05:43 AM   #70
Gas Hog
Two Wheel Fanatic

Oddometer: 932
Looking good!
Gary
Some regard private enterprise as if it were a predatory tiger to be shot. Others look upon it as a cow that they can milk. Only a handful see it for what it really is - the strong horse that pulls the whole cart. - Winston Churchill
Gas Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:34 AM   #71
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 687
I'm digging these more and more. I've gone around in my head a lot about what bike to get next - looking at nakeds and sport bikes. Sort of narrowed it down to an aprilia rsv4, triumph daytona R or the RC8R. My wife's aprilia has been laid up for a few months waiting on parts - so that a bit of a turn off. At 7000 feet my multistrada can feel sluggish, so I think the Daytona will be a bit anemic. So that leaves the RC8R. I like the lack of electronics, because that is sure to end with the next iteration. The last of the analog superbikes. Congrats on your bikes, I hope to pick one up soon.

PS - that mosler is pretty sweet. I think the orange will look good next to my caterham superlight
Dave.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:44 AM   #72
everetto
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave.0 View Post
IPS - that mosler is pretty sweet. I think the orange will look good next to my caterham superlight
Thank you, I bet your superlight is a blast.

I wonder if my RC8 can keep up with my Mosler on a road course.....

(My Mosler is not stock, 700 HP, 2350 lbs, and all the aero from the GT race cars).
Old 09-08-2013, 08:54 AM   #73
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave.0 View Post
I'm digging these more and more. I've gone around in my head a lot about what bike to get next - looking at nakeds and sport bikes. Sort of narrowed it down to an aprilia rsv4, triumph daytona R or the RC8R. My wife's aprilia has been laid up for a few months waiting on parts - so that a bit of a turn off. At 7000 feet my multistrada can feel sluggish, so I think the Daytona will be a bit anemic. So that leaves the RC8R. I like the lack of electronics, because that is sure to end with the next iteration. The last of the analog superbikes. Congrats on your bikes, I hope to pick one up soon.

PS - that mosler is pretty sweet. I think the orange will look good next to my caterham superlight
What part is your wife's Aprilia awaiting that AF-1 can't get for her within just a few weeks?

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:19 AM   #74
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon12 View Post
What part is your wife's Aprilia awaiting that AF-1 can't get for her within just a few weeks?

pulleys for the belts in the CVT transmission of a mana - that and you need some sort of proprietary tool that seems to be fairly expensive and scarce

I like AF1, I get my rs125 stuff from them without much issue, but these pulley things seem to be a problem, which is not helped by the italians basically taking the summer off
Dave.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:52 AM   #75
everetto
Gnarly Adventurer

Luggage revisited

Going back to a few earlier posts, several of you either use the KTM tailbag or the KTM tank bag - I am considering getting both in the very near future with the hope that between both I can take along enough stuff for a trip from New Mexico to SoCal and back. KTM lists the volume of the tailbag as 10L but I don't see the volume of the tank bag listed, presumably it is a bit more.

Anyone have any additional thoughts about these two specific pieces and/or any more pics? Thanks in advance.

everetto screwed with this post 09-15-2013 at 11:37 AM