Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2012, 11:29 AM   #166
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Shadow View Post
what about a flame thrower, would that just leave me being eaten by zombies that are on fire or will it actually kill them before they get too close?
They don't stop when half their bodies are missing so a little flame is not going to stop them...Better to be eaten by a non-flaming zombie, at least that is my preference between those two choices...
Think about...you are being eaten by a Zombie. That sucks... OR, you are being eaten by a Zombie on fire. That REALLY sucks!
Easy choice for me.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:55 PM   #167
opmike
Choosing to be here.

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Shadow View Post
what about a flame thrower, would that just leave me being eaten by zombies that are on fire or will it actually kill them before they get too close?
Most zombie lore requires significant damage to the brain/CNS to completely incapacitate a zombie. Setting aside the obvious logistical problems of lugging around a goddamned flame thrower, fuel, an inability to use the thing indoors, lack of precision, etc., you'll have a flaming zombie that will take a while to be immobilized while it proceeds to set fire to everything it nears. Read some reports from the guys that used the things in WWII, Vietnam, etc. They were major pains in the ass.

When it comes to zombies, there's not need to get elaborate with the firearms. Use something you're familiar with, can carry, something you can actually find ammunition for, etc. These are zombie we're dealing with here, not hell-spawn dragons. You need to destroy a significant portion of the brain as quickly as possible; that's it. Most centerfire cartridges will do, and there's no need to get silly with the caliber like lugging around a .454 Casull or a .338 Lapua.

My choices would be 9mm in a handgun and .223/5.56 in a long arm. Ammo will be readily available from both civilian and NATO military sources, you have good magazine capacity for multiple threats, ammo will be lighter, and you'll have more than enough power to penetrate a skull. Also, you'll have an easier time finding spare parts for an AR-pattern rifle than "Ol' Painless" you have sitting back there in the safe. All the ammo in the world won't help you of you break a sear or firing pin.

Here are two of my babies, and my go-to firearms in the event of a zombie apocalypse

The G19 is on my hip most of the time anyway.

opmike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:39 AM   #168
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja

Oddometer: 1,490
you americans and your fancy guns we arnt allowed to have here, although i do have a glock 22 at work,

what sort of body armour are we talking about here, can i just cover my self ina suit of armour, hazmat suit, with 10 meter long vibro blade spikes all over it, so anythign that gets with in 10 meters of me gets chopped up?
Storm Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:16 AM   #169
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,594
Although I agree about the 9mm ammo being available and high capacity magazine, I still prefer a good old .45 1911 with a double stack magazine.... one shot will at least knock the Zombie off their feet then you can hit them in the head. For long gun I like my reliable M1 Garand or M1A SOCOM...You hit them witha .306 or .308 round they aren't getting up...

With all that said I still would like the AA 12 Automatic shotgun Less need to aim in a run and gun situation.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:44 AM   #170
Thanantos OP
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,598
.45's are great, but this is not the movies. A pistol won't knock someone off their feet.

Well, maybe a wobbly zombie

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:45 AM   #171
Thanantos OP
Ride hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
.45's are great, but this is not the movies. A pistol won't knock someone off their feet.

And yes, I get the irony of what I just said....this being a discussion of zombies and all

2013 V-Strom
Old 05-09-2012, 08:50 AM   #172
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post

I was ready to argue this, based on what I remembered of testing done after .38 colt revolvers failed to stop charging Moro tribesmen. However, reading about those tests - they are rather bogus:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thompson-LaGarde_Tests

This led me to the article on "Stopping Power" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stopping_power

"Stopping is usually caused not by the force of the bullet (especially in the case of handgun and rifle bullets), but by the damaging effects of the bullet, which are typically a loss of blood, and with it, blood pressure. More immediate effects can result when a bullet damages parts of the central nervous system, such as the spine or brain. In response to addressing stopping power issues, the Mozambique Drill was developed to maximize the likelihood of an attacker's quick incapacitation."

Basically, shot placement is still critical. I like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozambique_Drill

"The Mozambique Drill, also known as the Failure to Stop Drill, or Failure Drill, is a close-quarter shooting technique in which the shooter fires twice into the torso of a target (known as a double tap to the center of mass), momentarily assesses the hits, then follows them up with a carefully aimed shot to the head of the target. The third shot should be aimed to destroy the brain or brain stem, killing the target and preventing the target from retaliating.
It is important to note that in the heat of such an encounter, all but the most well-trained shooters will be unlikely to score such a precise head-shot. For the vast majority of people the point of aim should remain the torso."

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:47 AM   #173
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Its not volatility its mass...the .45 has a lot more mass at a slower speed than say A 9MM. If you hit a average size man or Zombie in the chest he will fall backward....it may not kill them instantly but they will be knocked on their ass....Hollow points are preferred

I agree shot placement is going to be the biggest factor but lets face it...in a Zombie attack you probably don't have a lot of time to aim carefully.

I also have this little guy in .45 Long Colt.....only 24" long end to end....should do the job

Offcamber screwed with this post 05-09-2012 at 11:20 AM
Offcamber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:10 AM   #174
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

And as a thought, I once shot a round of long range pistol silhouette vs my dad - his Ruger .44 mag against my T/C Contender super 14 in 30/30. When he shot the "ram" silhouette, it would rock back on the rail then fall forward. When I shot it, it would slide backward off the rail hitting the ground about a foot or so behind (rail was 6" above dirt). I had always considered 30/30 to be wimpy, and .44 mag "worlds most powerful handgun". This was an eye opener for me.

A nice 30/30 brush carbine would be a great pick for zombieland.

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Old 05-09-2012, 11:22 AM   #175
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Of course if you have a piano handy...it also work well...
Old 05-09-2012, 11:28 AM   #176
Thanantos OP
Ride hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadester View Post
And as a thought, I once shot a round of long range pistol silhouette vs my dad - his Ruger .44 mag against my T/C Contender super 14 in 30/30. When he shot the "ram" silhouette, it would rock back on the rail then fall forward. When I shot it, it would slide backward off the rail hitting the ground about a foot or so behind (rail was 6" above dirt). I had always considered 30/30 to be wimpy, and .44 mag "worlds most powerful handgun". This was an eye opener for me.

A nice 30/30 brush carbine would be a great pick for zombieland.
Under a 100 yards a 30/30 with iron sights is perfect for any mammal.

2013 V-Strom
Old 05-09-2012, 11:33 AM   #177
Thanantos OP
Ride hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offcamber View Post
Of course if you have a piano handy...it also work well...
Brilliant!

2013 V-Strom
Old 05-09-2012, 07:42 PM   #178
Balootraveler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
12 pages of Zombie shit....wow lets just talk guns, I like em, you like em, we all like em.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:15 PM   #179
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Here's a way to practice your escape and evasion:

http://runforyourlives.com/

"A Zombie infested 5K obstacle course race"

Old 05-10-2012, 04:38 AM   #180
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balootraveler View Post
12 pages of Zombie shit....wow lets just talk guns, I like em, you like em, we all like em.
Wrong thread
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote