Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2012, 10:49 AM   #1
MikeO OP
Wage slave...

Oddometer: 6,626
Refurbing Krauser panniers

7th April 2012

As part of the refurb of my 1983 R80RT...

I want to refurbish a pair of Krauser panniers I bought for the bike.

Now these are not strictly Krausers - they are BMW panniers, although I have a sneaking suspicion they may come from the same factory. They have the later 'clasp' style latches to hold them onto the tubular steel frame. I bought them mainly for their exterior condition - they're almost unmarked. I replaced one frame clamp and have the other ready to do. I've also replaced the BMW badges and fitted new rubber seals to the doors...

Inside they are not as pretty. There's quite a lot of corrosion on the door stays, and the straps are probably beyond redemption. I am considering cutting the straps off, as I have bought a set of Siebenrock fitted liners.

There is cleary a lot of work to do - mostly with a scrubbing brush and soapy water - to bring the interior up to match the exterior.

Here's a snag:

The bags are quite simply constructed - basically the plastic parts are held to the metal parts by staples. The ends of these staples are masked inside the bag by a sort of adhesive velvet strip which runs around the entire inside edge of the door and pannier body. Unfortunately, this seems to have shrunk over the years, resulting in this...

...mess in most of the corners. In other places the tape has just come off and has left an unpleasant sticky residue...

...you can see the exposed staples in this pic.

What I aim to do is remove all the tape, completely clean out the interior of the bags and then fit new tape.

The snag is - the tape isn't listed as a part by BMW. Information on vintage Krauser bags is pretty thin on the internet (I've turned up very little in my searches) - does anyone know where I might get tape like this please?

It's 15mm wide - and is almost (but not quite) like the 'wooly' side of Velcro.

Any ideas gratefully received...

Cheers,

Mike
Old 04-07-2012, 11:35 AM   #2
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,805
Here's what I would do.

Remove the old tape,
Clean all the adhesive gunk off with some mild glue removing goop, (I'd start with WD40 and work my way up through stuff like rubbing alcohol goo gone and then to the "tones" like Acetone,.

I'd clean the rust off of metal stuff I couldn't replace with a wire brush dremel then hit it with some paint.

I'd remove the straps, (Since I normally do that anyway)

I'd use a mild soap and water to clean the inside of the bag

I'd use a mile polish to clean the inside and outside of the aluminum trim strip

I'd get some fuzzy velcro and use it to recover the staples.

Then I'd wax the clean surfaces
Old 04-22-2012, 09:56 AM   #3
MikeO OP
Wage slave...

Thanks for the reply Squish.

An update...

I have done some research and found that Michael Krauser still supplies parts for old panniers - Link. The trouble is, he doesn't seem to stock much for my model...

The door stays...

...which are both badly rusted and pitted, he can help me with, so I'm awaiting their arrival (19 per pair including new plastic rivets & shipping).

They sell replacement hinges...

...but the measurements weren't quite right, so I decided to refurb the ones I have, grotty though one pair were...

I decided to live without internal straps for now, so cut them out, as there was no easy way of replacing them. I'll revisit this if it becomes a problem in future, but since I am going to be using Siebenrock pannier liners, I think it'll be OK.

I bought some 15mm adhesive Velcro from eBay and, after hours of getting rid of the ghastly gum they use to stick the original stuff on with, fitted this...

I replaced the sealing strip, as it was very cheap...

After a good rub down with wire wool, I used Kurust on the hinges, then gave them two brush coats of Hammerite smooth satin black...

...before giving the bags a final clean down with Mr Sheen...

...and then fitting them to the RT - still stripped whilst the bodywork is being painted...

I had to fit the right hand bag with a new clasp catch...

...which proved a problem. I think the right hand pannier frame is distorted somehow, as it took a long time to get the catch adjusted so that it would latch. I will investigate further later...

I'm looking forward to getting the door stays, which will finish the job off...

...but I'm happy with them so far.

In the longer term, I am considering bolting them permanently to the frames. This is quite a common practice - and just about essential when using the earlier 'seat-belt' style catches - and will make no difference practically if I'm using pannier liners.

Mike
Old 05-12-2012, 04:54 AM   #4
MikeO OP
Wage slave...

Well the new door stays arrived from Michael Krauser this week (19 delivered for the pair)...

iPhone focus...

Job done, I think...

Old 05-12-2012, 05:37 AM   #5
spo123
Man About Town

Oddometer: 634
Thumb Well done!

Thanks for the pics and description!

RIDE, RIDE, RIDE!
spo
Old 09-23-2013, 09:37 AM   #6
cyberdoggie
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Absolutely stunning

I am in the process of doing the same for a pair of white krauser bags for my faux motorsport r100rs! I got all new locks from Siebenrock.

http://shop.siebenrock.com/index1.php

But was wondering about the straps replacement and restoration. I too have the siebenrock liners so will follow your lead and cut them out.

How did the velcro work? Where did you get the rubber gasket? I loved the photos. Would you do anything different? These posts live a long life when people google "krauser motorcycle pannier restoration" so the post mortem of the job would be good. I will also post any insights I get from the restoration.

mark
cyberdoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:59 AM   #7
MikeO OP
Wage slave...

The gaskets are still available from BMW - Part No 46 54 1 238 911

The replacement velcro suffered from a similar problem to the original - it seems to shrink over time. I have overcome the problem by cutting sections so that the only long sections are straight. Seems to be working so far.

Oh - and I'd use WD40 to clean the gunk off - a lot easier than white spirit & elbow grease...

If you're doing some white bags - good luck - there's a pic here
Old 09-23-2013, 01:39 PM   #8
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 7,904
I have cut the retaining straps off the insides of my bags also. They are just not needed.

Those lid closing latches all look in great condition. That part is not available I think. So having good ones is a plus. When mine wore out on one side I had to replace with hasps from the hardware store, which work, but not as nice as the originals.

There is a product you might try. I like it for any plastic. Name is "Back To Black" but don't let it fool you, it works on any color plastic or rubber. Provides a semi gloss finish and seems to refresh the plastics original appearance.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote