ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-01-2005, 04:13 PM   #1
CCRider OP
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Question New Garmin Quest

I've heard a rumor that Garmin is introducing a new GPS Quest model with double the memory and a faster processor. I'm leaving on a two week tour this June and would prefer to buy this new model if it will be available in time for my trip. Any information about this new updated Quest would be appreciated.
Carlos
CCRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 04:48 PM   #2
BurnieM
Nipple boy

Oddometer: 4,104
Just a rumour I suspect.

The US model has 115 MB for mapping.
The European model has 243 MB for mapping.

The Australian model has 115 MB but the importer is considering using the 243 MB model for the next (larger) version of City Navigator Australia.
BurnieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 05:11 PM   #3
Colorado Bryee

Oddometer: n/a
Shipping in May is the Rummor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCRider
I've heard a rumor that Garmin is introducing a new GPS Quest model with double the memory and a faster processor. I'm leaving on a two week tour this June and would prefer to buy this new model if it will be available in time for my trip. Any information about this new updated Quest would be appreciated.
Carlos
It is true, it will have double the memory and more verbose guidance instructions. Faster as well. Not much else.

Also look for the STP i3 also available in May. It will be the newest street pilot. Smaller simpler better guidance aimed at Automotive/Motorcycle Guidance. Not for camping trails but is waterproof for use on motorcycle.
Old 05-01-2005, 05:31 PM   #4
BurnieM
Nipple boy

Oddometer: 4,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Dave
It is true, it will have double the memory and more verbose guidance instructions. Faster as well. Not much else.
Memory is easy, they just take the European model
Faster processor seems unlikely
Street announcements are more a part of updated City Navigator/City Select than the unit itself.
BurnieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 07:53 PM   #5
CCRider OP
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Burnie and Dave, thanks for your responses. Dave, I'll keep a look- out for that STP model, it seems like exactly the ticket I'm looking for. I just checked Garmin's web page and didn't see any mention of this STP model. I'll check again next week and see what I find.

Regards,
CCRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 10:30 PM   #6
AKBMW
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 713
How do you like it

CCRIDER any luck on the QUEST? I am looking into one.

09 R1200 ADV :)

2013 Prudhoe to Key West T2T (tip2tail)
AKBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 08:41 PM   #7
mysdak
Canada eh!

Oddometer: 8
http://www.caplinktech.com/prodDescr...temnumber=1901

I ordered one from here. Ordered at noon and shipped by 3. $354 with free shipping.
mysdak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 09:44 PM   #8
auslander
Meh

Oddometer: 707
Different than the Quest2 ??

Garmin recently introduced the Quest 2, but I didn't see anything about a faster processor. More memory and an upgraded base map, though.
Old 07-22-2005, 03:29 AM   #9
PhilSpace
The Gov

Oddometer: 35,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by auslander
Garmin recently introduced the Quest 2, but I didn't see anything about a faster processor. More memory and an upgraded base map, though.
I was just looking at the specs and talking to a dealer about it.

It comes preloaded with all of City Select and still has 140MB for you to upload other types of maps into. Also confirmed that it's all solid state memory - nothing like the microdrive arrangement in the 2620. The only downside I see with it is the inability to work with preloaded maps, like the 2620, it doesn't look like you get the map database to work with on the PC as well. I did also confirm that the pre-loaded maps are updateable.

It looks like a pretty cool unit, if you could only work with the map data to make routes on the PC.

I fired off another question to them asking about creating a route using City Nav 6 and then transferring it - normally, when you create something on a PC with one database and the GPS has a different one loaded, the GPS forces a recalc and you might not have the same route you started with on the PC.

PhilSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 08:52 AM   #10
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,322
If you're willing to buy the map CDs for the PC, I'd think that there is no reason you can't download and use PC auto-routes on the Quest. When you transfer a route from the PC to the GPS, you're not transferring the entire route; instead, you're just transferring the series of waypoints that defined the route - the GPS then does its own routing. So I don't see any reason the Quest couldn't route on its internal map and come up with the same/similar route as on the PC.

The GPS maps and the PC maps do need to be basically similar or you get very unpredictable results, especially if one of the mapsets doesn't show a road connecting where the other does. The Quest comes pre-loaded with City Select NT, while Garmin sells City Select North America - I don't know what the differences are, but I would hope they're basically the same.

I would want to confirm all this before ordering though.

To me, the Quest really appeals to someone who doesn't want to hassle with the PC at all. If you're going to be screwing with the PC interface, I'd probably get something else.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 09:02 AM   #11
PhilSpace
The Gov

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn
If you're willing to buy the map CDs for the PC, I'd think that there is no reason you can't download and use PC auto-routes on the Quest. When you transfer a route from the PC to the GPS, you're not transferring the entire route; instead, you're just transferring the series of waypoints that defined the route - the GPS then does its own routing. So I don't see any reason the Quest couldn't route on its internal map and come up with the same/similar route as on the PC.

The GPS maps and the PC maps do need to be basically similar or you get very unpredictable results, especially if one of the mapsets doesn't show a road connecting where the other does. The Quest comes pre-loaded with City Select NT, while Garmin sells City Select North America - I don't know what the differences are, but I would hope they're basically the same.

I would want to confirm all this before ordering though.

To me, the Quest really appeals to someone who doesn't want to hassle with the PC at all. If you're going to be screwing with the PC interface, I'd probably get something else.

- Mark
Understand - I run three different map versions in mapsource and if a route is created on the PC using one version and is downloaded on the GPS with a different version of map data, it always forces a recalc and sometimes the resulting route is different.

I sent Garmin a note as well asking if City Nav 6 and the version of City Select on the Quest 2 were "the same" and would work with my pc created routes. If they are, I'm in business since I've already got it, but for those who don't, you have to ask what Garmin is thinking in not at least providing it as an option - you have already paid for the license fee for the GPS, why not be able to use it on the PC too

I guess i just have a problem having to buy another license of the same map data just to use on one GPS. The disk versions of the map data allow for unlocking two GPS's BTW.

Old 07-22-2005, 01:06 PM   #12
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,322
I doubt there is a way to move the map database off the Quest and use it on the PC if that is what you have in mind. But if you have City Select already on the PC, I would think you could use the routes on the Quest if you're within the two-unit unlock limit, although the Quest would need to do a recalc with the resulting opportunity for the routes not to match.

I've gotten confusing guidance on exactly what happens when you transfer a route from the PC to the GPS. At one time, I believed that there was nothing in a route that tied it to a specific map database - it was simply a sequence of lat/long waypoints, perhaps with some extra data on road intersections, that ws transferred to the GPS. The GPS always then did a recalc on the route using whatever map data it had available, independent of what the PC was using. And that's the way my 60CS works - it always does a recalc anytime you activate a route in "Follow Roads" mode. If your routing preferences and map databases are the same you "should" get exactly the same route.

But others have said that the higher-end 26xx and similar automotive GPS's have a tighter integration between PC-generated routes and GPS routes and they don't do a recalc anytime a route is activated.

What the Quest does, I have no idea. Confusing stuff.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 02:53 PM   #13
PhilSpace
The Gov

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn
I've gotten confusing guidance on exactly what happens when you transfer a route from the PC to the GPS. At one time, I believed that there was nothing in a route that tied it to a specific map database - it was simply a sequence of lat/long waypoints, perhaps with some extra data on road intersections, that ws transferred to the GPS. The GPS always then did a recalc on the route using whatever map data it had available, independent of what the PC was using. And that's the way my 60CS works - it always does a recalc anytime you activate a route in "Follow Roads" mode. If your routing preferences and map databases are the same you "should" get exactly the same route.

But others have said that the higher-end 26xx and similar automotive GPS's have a tighter integration between PC-generated routes and GPS routes and they don't do a recalc anytime a route is activated.

What the Quest does, I have no idea. Confusing stuff.

- Mark
On my old SPIII or the 2610, I never have had the GPS recalc a route that I downloaded from the PC as long as the mapset I was using in mapsource matches what's loaded on the GPS. Now, If I manually force a recalc, all bets are off and it will only respect the waypoints I manually inserted or "drag and dropped" into the route. if I use a different mapset, it forces a recalc and guaranteed things won't be as you left them just like your 60CS. I think that it also has the turn by turn info as well as the waypoints since even a complex route - like 150 miles of the BRP is over 250K (.gdb file) and when I download it and open it up on the GPS it's ready to go with no recalc.

I can't stand generating complex routes on the GPS, I do all my route planing on the PC and download it before I take off. Steverino is doing that now as well - he and HM had a notebook on the back of his GS Saturday night at Hot Springs planning their route back and then downloading it into his 2610.

Old 07-25-2005, 06:37 PM   #14
PhilSpace
The Gov

The Quest2 is not for me - the official answer back from Garmin is no route planning on the PC without spending yet more money and playing yet another unlock code:

Quote:
Since the software is loaded to the GPS, this is one of the features you would lose since the mapping is already unlocked to the GPS and separate software would require the purchase of a new unlock code. Essentially you could purchase a new city select software and unlock it to the GPS so that you can use the plan routing functions to load. But you would not be able to use any of the mapping or download functions of mapping to the GPS because the mapping would not be able to be loaded to the memory. Only routes and waypoints could be downloaded.