Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2012, 07:06 PM   #16
mpatch OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 881
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmEff View Post
But the size of the app is irrelevant. It's the size of the maps downloaded and cached that constitutes the bulk of the reported size.
as long as hes still talking about gps drive and he cleared his saved maps there should be nothing else in the app other than maybe a few saved locations and such but nothing that would chew up 100mb
mpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:14 PM   #17
mpatch OP
Studly Adventurer

GPS Drive has the same issue. I just added about 10mb of preloaded maps and it made my usage go up by 40mb. BTW with no saved maps my app size is right around 40mb
Old 04-09-2012, 10:37 PM   #18
KiloBravo
Armchair Adventurer

Oddometer: 627
Do you have voice command think I have 2 or more voice styles on GPS Drive.
KiloBravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:32 PM   #19
abhibeckert
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
Just got another email from them this morning, they've figured out what's going on.

It turns out they had a bit of a mix up, and the problem actually isn't fixed in the most recent public build, but will be in the next one.

Here's the email they sent me:

Quote:
Thank you for taking the time to help us figure out this issue. I must admit there was an mix up on our end. I had thought the fix for your issue was in version 18.1 which was released on March 27th. It looks like the fix was not checked in until March 30th. This of course means the fix was not in version 18.1.

For now there is nothing more we can do to shirk MotionX GPS down to size. However, look for version 18.2 in the iTunes app store within the next month. If the issue is not resolved after opening and closing version 18.2 a few times please let me know. It should only take about 10 times of opening and closing the app before you are at the correct app size.
So, we just need to wait until the next release... and then every time we open the app the wasted space will get a bit smaller until it's gone.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:12 PM   #20
mpatch OP
Studly Adventurer

what i got from them: (I have been on contact wtih them for over a month now trying to resolve this issue):

"Hi Matthew,
Thank you for the additional information, we are seeing the same behavior on our devices in house. Our team is having a look at both Drive and GPS now and we hope to have improvements in future versions of our apps. That said, its possible this is iOS related and improvements may be several versions away. In the meantime as a thank you I have added two months of live voice guidance to the account \xxxxxxxxxxxxx.

All the best,
Tom Lewin"
Old 11-20-2012, 08:48 PM   #21
mpatch OP
Studly Adventurer

update on an old thread

from motionx

Hi XXXXX,
At this time no changes have been made. Allow me to explain what is occurring. The perceived discrepancy comes from the filesystem block size. The iOS filesystem uses a block size of 4KB. That means every file is stored in multiples of 4KB. So a 10 byte file, a 500 byte file, and a 3.9KB file all use 4KB of storage. A 13KB file uses 16KB of storage, and so on.

These two factors combine for the perceived discrepancy. Another example is if map download set of only 20 tiles is 100KB. But each tile is 5KB of data and takes 8KB to store, making the actual disk usage 8KB*20 = 160KB. As you can see this can really add up when you have many sparse road or terrain tiles that are really only a few hundred bytes, but all require 4KB to store.

All the best,
Marcus Poteete

so there is no "fix" possible from the way it sounds