Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2012, 03:21 PM   #16
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,578
BTW..I love this site, dang and this was posted on the bitchy whiny airhead section too.

Thanks for the replies, glad I posted. I would have figured it out my self eventually, before going though the "sell" but this was easier and funner
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 03:28 PM   #17
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 7,969
Scam!

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:20 PM   #18
ozmoses
Ride On

Oddometer: 2,287
How much is shipping to Nigeria lately?
ozmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:36 PM   #19
yellowbirdrs
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 967
I bought my Ducati Sportclassic 1000S from a guy in NM and had it shipped to TX. We agreed on the price over the phone. I spoke with him several times by phone and exchange a lot of emails. I paid by paypal and split the transfer charges he sent me the title by UPS to my home address in Mexico and I arrange the shipping from NM without any problem according to PayPal you have a buyer insurance
yellowbirdrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:01 PM   #20
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

here's a brief on how it works, from a guys post on this site. Read it it's interesting.

I figured out how the scam works. I got the same email when I tried to sell my Chevy suburban on Craigslist. So I did some research and found out a few things. (Actually, I got two of these scam emails on the same vehicle within 2 days of each other from two different people.) Anyway, they use Paypal because paypal has a really good “make it right” policy. They send the funds to your paypal account and right away they come to pick up the product or in this case a used car. Meanwhile, you think you have your money but as soon as they pick up the vehicle, using “an agent” they notify paypal that they didn’t receive the product. Paypal will automatically refund their money unless you can come up with proof that you delivered the vehicle. The only form of proof paypal accepts is a tracking number with SIGNATURE CONFIRMATION from either the post office or UPS. Well, you won’t be able to show proof of a signature because the guy is offshore and used an agent. Guess what… this just may be the newest way of stealing cars!

Old 04-08-2012, 08:38 PM   #21
DDT Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley View Post
here's a brief on how it works, from a guys post on this site. Read it it's interesting.

I figured out how the scam works. I got the same email when I tried to sell my Chevy suburban on Craigslist. So I did some research and found out a few things. (Actually, I got two of these scam emails on the same vehicle within 2 days of each other from two different people.) Anyway, they use Paypal because paypal has a really good “make it right” policy. They send the funds to your paypal account and right away they come to pick up the product or in this case a used car. Meanwhile, you think you have your money but as soon as they pick up the vehicle, using “an agent” they notify paypal that they didn’t receive the product. Paypal will automatically refund their money unless you can come up with proof that you delivered the vehicle. The only form of proof paypal accepts is a tracking number with SIGNATURE CONFIRMATION from either the post office or UPS. Well, you won’t be able to show proof of a signature because the guy is offshore and used an agent. Guess what… this just may be the newest way of stealing cars!
Now that you know...why not think of a way to screw with him...that agent at least, since he is in on it...
I don't know...schedule a series of drop off meetings in strange, out of the way places, and not show up with some imaginative excuse...do that several times before finally telling him it was sold to someone else...
DDT Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:36 AM   #22
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDT Rider View Post
Now that you know...why not think of a way to screw with him...that agent at least, since he is in on it...
I don't know...schedule a series of drop off meetings in strange, out of the way places, and not show up with some imaginative excuse...do that several times before finally telling him it was sold to someone else...
I find it hard to imagine at this point that the Agent is not in on the scam or at least abetting the crime. It used to be a tow truck driver and he also received money from the seller because the buyer had used a check for more than the purchase. Now with the PayPal version there is still this guy who picks up the car, truck or motorcycle. Why is this guy never confronted by the cops once the victim has figured out he was robbed and made a police report to the proper authorities. I would think the same tow truck drivers were involved over and over. Now of course the seller had to be aware of taking numbers off the truck and or seeing his ID. But there are only so many TT drivers in any town. Around here I don't think the drivers are licensed as such but the trucks are.

I say go after the TT drivers. Eliminate that part of it and it may put a stop to the whole thing. Oh, how to do this? Very easy, the same way the cops busted me for selling pot back in 1973. Under cover cops make the deal and arrest the sum bitch when he shows up. Simple. Got me out of drug dealing and it will get these nice law abiding Americans driving tow trucks out of receiving stolen property.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Old 04-09-2012, 07:30 AM   #23
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Oddometer: 4,297
Oh and by the way, it would be helpfull to all of us that DO use PayPal by copying that whole mess from the guy aand forwarding it to spoof@paypal.com.
Sometimes they even care!

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:35 AM   #24
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

I forwarded some of the correspondence to PayPal, but looked on CL and I get the impression they take a hands off approach...we just provide a place to put your adv. Looking under scams to report, they give suggested links to notify. I'm sure they only way anything could be done is to actually be screwed out of your money then the authorities might help, but that does no good.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:37 AM   #25
ontic

Oddometer: 1,037
oozing scam.
I had a similar one recently. I kept communicating with the 'buyer' trying to figure out how exactly how he was planning to scam me. I'd read about them getting the vehicle picked up and then the paypal payment disappearing out of your account... however, the thing was I was trying to sell a 30ft sailboat not exactly an easy object to load onto a truck and I couldn't figure out where the catch was.
The scammer wanted to pay me asap and get things moving he was going to get the item shipped to him

As it turned out the seller wanted to include in my payment for the boat an extra amount so that I could pay the shipping for him to his shipping agent. This was the scam part I assumed and was the moment I let loose and abused the cretin. Never heard back after that of course. If I had more patience and less fury I would have tried to bait him a bit more and at least get a bit more information.

this has lots of good stories if you can be bothered reading through them
http://www.419baiter.com/games.html

personally I think the more time we can easily waste of these people the better for all. The trick is to invest very few words and time and make them invest a lot of words and time- not cut and paste stuff but actual things they need to put effort into. I really despise people who do these sort of things.
ontic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:13 AM   #26
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

So if one "agrees" to pay their shipper, I wonder if the shipper actually shows up???? It would have been interesting to play it out and see if someone actually shows up for a cash hand off and take your vehicle. Yeah a 30ft sailboat would be a feet, especially if you didn't have a trailer.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:41 AM   #27
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

There. Right there the person who shows up is receiving stolen property. I say we bait these people and when the "shipper" shows up we beat the shit out of them.

Alright, might not be such a good idea. But I think they know what's going on.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:39 AM   #28
msells
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
I just had an ebay classified turn into a "I'm in Buffalo, the car is in XYZ but my shipper will deliver it and you get 30 days to inspect it." THEN WHY THE (#*$ DID YOU LIST IT FOR SALE IN ATLANTA??? Grr....

Craigslist is meant to be local for a reason, to promote face to face local transactions. This is one of the reasons CL doesn't like the aggregation sites that let you look for "vincent black shadow" nationwide.

More scam sniffing tricks:

Tell them your cousin lives where they do and will come do the deal in person. Even if it's the Orkney islands. Legit buyers should have no problem with this.

Do you have a telephone #? Call me anytime to finalize the deal. Ask for a work phone #. I don't care where you work or to necessarily talk to you while you are at work but most people will at least offer a non-Nigerian story "I do shift work at the brewery so am usually drunk and we can't hear the phone over the machinery." or "I just moved here from Canada so I don't have a house or phone but call my co-worker Jim @ xxx-yyy-zzzz."

Look for timezone differences, "too fast replies" and "I ignored what you said". Everyone keeps slightly different hours but a day-job person in the USA responding to emails at 3am ain't usually right. Fast replies to emails or failing to react to what you wrote are also signs. "There was a small fire in the back seat and there's now some blood on the windshield." should cause a legit buyer to ask some questions.
msells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:05 AM   #29
limeymike
Who Me?

Oddometer: 551
If a Nigerian wants my bike that's cool, $200,000 cash in hand and I'll ship it.
limeymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:50 PM   #30
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

I can't believe it the guy sent me another email, but it's the same as his 1st one. I already told him I knew it was a scam and told him authorities have been alerted, although they haven't.

This is what I sent

I'll need your full name, place of residence, phone # attached to your place of residence, plus cell number. The name, address of your transporter and his business address, plus his DOT information since he is transporting the vehicle.

If you cannot supply this information then there is no point in continuing.

Oh well,