ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2012, 03:17 PM   #16
Lonestar2112
scatology expert
 
Lonestar2112's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Ventura County CA
Oddometer: 6,518
I did this for my side yard, I installed it as though I was going to park cars on it. I found that with the larger tiles it was less work, more time with the saw but it wasn't too bad.



The key step is the base prep. Old dirt/grass out. Trench in for gas and power.



DG to go into the hole.


Pack it well. A little bit of water to knock the dust down and an hour + with the packer.



Set the stone and then seal.



I skipped a few steps but that is the idea. Not technical work, just a lot of work.
__________________
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...SKgzdmS9ir0XK3

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Lonestar2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:32 PM   #17
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 48,650
Great pictures, and a nice look. How much were the blocks that you used?

Thanks,

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:43 PM   #18
Lonestar2112
scatology expert
 
Lonestar2112's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Ventura County CA
Oddometer: 6,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Great pictures, and a nice look. How much were the blocks that you used?

Thanks,

Jim
They were a special order from the Depot, I want to say they were $2 sq/ft They are limestone 1" thick.
__________________
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...SKgzdmS9ir0XK3

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Lonestar2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:02 PM   #19
John Smallberries
Beastly Adventurer
 
John Smallberries's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Northville, Michigan
Oddometer: 1,239
mesh back

I've been looking at the mesh-back stuff for my backyard patio project:

http://www.coloradomaterialsinc.com/...w-meshed.html#

I don't know how much it costs, but it looks a bit easier to manage.
__________________
'05 BMW 1200GS
'09 Honda CRF230
'10 Yamaha TW200
John Smallberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:10 PM   #20
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 48,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar2112 View Post
They were a special order from the Depot, I want to say they were $2 sq/ft They are limestone 1" thick.
At 1" thick they were vehicle weight rated? I really like the look of them.

Thanks,

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:12 PM   #21
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 48,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smallberries View Post
I've been looking at the mesh-back stuff for my backyard patio project:

http://www.coloradomaterialsinc.com/...w-meshed.html#

I don't know how much it costs, but it looks a bit easier to manage.
Those are very cool. I might use them to cover the fence pillars and front porch sides.

Might be a bit thin for the driveway though!

Thanks,

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:13 PM   #22
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 48,650
For those wondering about the retaining wall/fence. This might help you visualize it!



The retaining wall is less than 2', see my 4'10" wife there. Basically two courses of 8X16 cinder block.

The road is a very busy (during rush hours) 4 lane road with a 35mph speed limit, and a fair amount of foot traffic.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:47 AM   #23
GSWayne
Old Guy nOOb
 
GSWayne's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Santa Barbara
Oddometer: 2,938
Having had concrete, asphalt and paver driveways, I would highly recommend the pavers. They seem to hold up much better AND if they do have any problems you can fix them with a screw driver to pry them up, throw in a little more sand and set them in again, though in about 20 years our paver driveway, walkways, and patio have required no work. They also seem to be very resistant to staining from oil drips or berries and things like that. I don't know if the stuff just soaks in or get sun bleached or if the natural color variation hides it.
__________________
It isn't the conditions its the decisions

Don't bring a motorcycle to a car fight
GSWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:08 AM   #24
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: S. W. Mssouri
Oddometer: 5,602
Concrete, when done correctly:
1. Proper base prep, for your area, varies.
2. Mesh of rebar
3. certified aggregate, shale causes pop outs, an issue where I live.
4. air entrainment
5. Fiber mesh (supposed to be good, I have not used)
6. Pour high strength cement, at least 1 extra sack per yard, I personally asked for 5000 psi
7. Watch the concrete finishers, make sure they do not add too much water.
8. Seal with plastic or spray on sealer, no use for 21 days.

The extra cement makes the concrete stain resistant. The air stops freeze damage.

They can stamp a variety of patterns, and tint concrete any color. This will increase the cost of the concrete at least 20% but that will only increase the cost off the job by 10% and if proper expansion joints put in, it will not crack. Dads driveway is 20 years old not and NO CRACKS anywhere. The finishers made fun of us for using that concrete, but they did like how it finished.. Wonder if I could find them 20 years later and show them the uncracked drive.

Rod
ragtoplvr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:32 AM   #25
groundrules
Beastly Adventurer
 
groundrules's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Oh hiya
Oddometer: 1,517
local company here makes pavers, they've got some decent galleries that might be useful to look at.

http://www.oberfields.com/inspiration.php?id=paver
groundrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:43 AM   #26
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 48,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by groundrules View Post
local company here makes pavers, they've got some decent galleries that might be useful to look at.

http://www.oberfields.com/inspiration.php?id=paver
Cool, I like that!

Thanks!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:01 PM   #27
Attico
Wrong way 'round
 
Attico's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Oddometer: 1,783
Nice place, i like the proportions...since it looks classic, a red paver in a running bond would look great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
For those wondering about the retaining wall/fence. This might help you visualize it!



The retaining wall is less than 2', see my 4'10" wife there. Basically two courses of 8X16 cinder block.

The road is a very busy (during rush hours) 4 lane road with a 35mph speed limit, and a fair amount of foot traffic.

Jim
__________________
“If you think adventure is dangerous, try routine; it is lethal.” (Coelho)
Attico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:47 AM   #28
spots63
godless and soulless
 
spots63's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: surrounded by jesus freaks
Oddometer: 263
You can get a guillotine for cutting pavers-which works much faster than a saw and no noise. We rarely saw anything anymore-only L shaped cuts or very small corners. If you do a straightish pattern drop all the bricks down and then rent the guillotine for a half day or so to finish up the cuts. We did lots of fan patterns back 15 years ago but not anymore-larger bricks or a herringbone pattern seem to be popular now.
Pack the shit out of the base. I can't stress this enough.

I did a quick google search for a vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I64Wd4vVouY
spots63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:02 AM   #29
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 48,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by spots63 View Post
You can get a guillotine for cutting pavers-which works much faster than a saw and no noise. We rarely saw anything anymore-only L shaped cuts or very small corners. If you do a straightish pattern drop all the bricks down and then rent the guillotine for a half day or so to finish up the cuts. We did lots of fan patterns back 15 years ago but not anymore-larger bricks or a herringbone pattern seem to be popular now.
Pack the shit out of the base. I can't stress this enough.

I did a quick google search for a vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I64Wd4vVouY
Thanks! I was wondering if the guillotine cutter really worked well.

Thanks for the link too!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:42 PM   #30
Lonestar2112
scatology expert
 
Lonestar2112's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Ventura County CA
Oddometer: 6,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by spots63 View Post
Pack the shit out of the base. I can't stress this enough.
Packing and proper base depth, if in doubt more base and pack more. If you are not sure go back and pack again!

Rent a big packer and then pretend you are riding a harley for a week. The feeling will eventually come back into your hands.
__________________
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...SKgzdmS9ir0XK3

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Lonestar2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014