User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2012, 05:00 AM   #1
Kedgi OP
Banned

Oddometer: 1,388
Key West to Shediac, NB, Canada, avoiding the slab

Some of you may have read my previous ride report. Trans Labrador Highway Twice in One Summer. Here is a link to that for those that haven't had the chance.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=766142

The following is the beginning of my ride report of the next adventure....Key West, Florida to Shediac, NB, Canada

Here is a look at our intended route, or at least the planned portion of our route. Beyond this we are flexible. Our route from the northernmost portion of this map on will depend on time, family, and work commitments but we figure we should basically head for the Scranton PA area and then ride the Green Mountains of Vermont, the White Mountains of NH and then across Maine into NB and home. We plan on about 500kms per day, ten to twelve days in total, allowing time to see the sights.

Our ride will include the Tail of the Dragon, the Blue Ridge Parkway and the Shenandoah Parkway.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=1bKj...ttU3_Cxp3eMux7

There are four of us going on the ride. We all live in the Shediac, NB area of Eastern Canada.

We contracted Haulbikes to haul our motorcycles down to Miami. Haulbikes doesn't come to Canada so this required a chilly ride to Calais Maine to load the bikes up to be trucked to Florida. Calais is about a three hour ride from home. We rode through a little rain with snow mixed in it was about plus 4C.

We hope it is a lot warmer when we fly down to pick up the bikes in Miami on May 10th.

Here is a short video of part of the ride to Calais and the loading of our bikes. Can you tell there was a little separation anxiety?

The riders are from left to right, Marc, Mike, Mike and myself (not pictured) on a Varadero, a Triumph, a V-Strom and my KLR650 respectively

Mike brought his Triumph down in a pickup truck so we all had a way to get home. I missed the loading of it. I was refueling at the time. I went on reserve unexpectedly on the way down with only 290kms on a tank that usually allows for 400kms of riding, thanks to fairly high speed, (Haulbikes was waiting for us), and a strong headwind.

We were lucky to get the bikes to Calais when we did. Snow can be a problem this time of year in the Maritimes. a few days later, this is how I spent my Easter Sunday, on my Kubota, enjoying 22cms of snow

I hope you will enjoy following along. Now we just have to wait for May 10.

More to come......

Kedgi screwed with this post 04-09-2012 at 06:15 AM
Kedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:46 AM   #2
Kedgi OP
Banned

Meet in Deal's Gap

Two more New Brunswick riders, Mike and Brad have made plans to meet us in Deal's Gap. They will ride south from Shediac on the same day the four of us fly to Miami. When we meet up in Deal's Gap we will all ride north together.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:04 AM   #3
dovetailredux
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
I enjoyed your TLH report Kedji, so I'm signed up for this one too. Good luck.

Doug
dovetailredux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:21 AM   #4
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt. Versuvius View Post
I enjoyed your TLH report Kedji, so I'm signed up for this one too. Good luck.

Doug

Thanks Doug!

One month from today, we're on our way.

Dwight (Kedgi)
Old 04-11-2012, 12:54 AM   #5
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 2,907

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:42 AM   #6
Kedgi OP
Banned

Cool2 Final meeting

With our departure getting closer we have decided to get everyone together for one final meeting on April 26

I'm going to try and get a photo of all the riders at the meeting including those that will ride down from New Brunswick to meet us in Deal's Gap

Haulbikes has kept in touch with us and they will have the bikes in Miami as close as possible to May 9th, the day before our arrival.

Counting the days now!
Old 04-26-2012, 06:07 AM   #7
Kedgi OP
Banned

Question Seized Up

On Monday I seized up. Not my bike, Me.

I watched Sunday's Nascar Race with my wife, Angele, and during a commercial I went out for a smoke (It's my ONLY bad habit)

While I was outside I had a sneezing attack. You know, the kind where you sneeze uncontrollably about ten times. I heard something go pop in my ribs. Instant wicked stabbing pain.

I came in, watched the end of the race, took an ibuprofen and went to bed early. I had already had a few beers and I don't think I felt the pain as intensely as I might have had I been completely sober.

It turns out I had aggravated a pull in my intercostal muscles caused when shoveling left over snow from the Easter Sunday storm we had (pictured above). Intercostal muscles are the muscles that are in between each rib.

Monday morning I could not get out of bed. Angele tried to help me and I got as far at the bathroom door and completely seized up. I couldn't take a step without severe pain in my ribs and I couldn't raise my arms to put a shirt on, nothing I was locked to my bathroom door frame. After 20 minutes of increasingly worse spasms, Angele called the ambulance. They came and the attendants told me I was having "quivering back spasms" as bad as they had ever seen. They put ice on the affected area which after several minutes allowed me to sit down in an office chair we have. The attendants said they were taking me to hospital and no matter how they got me out of the house their best advice was "It's going to hurt getting you to the ambulance so we suggest you scream loudly and a lot because it adds drama for the neighbors." I followed their advice.

At the hospital I was given a shot of some painkiller and an IV drip of some narcotic and after about an hour the spasm subsided but I was still very sore. They sent me home and told me to go to physio right away.

That afternoon I was sent to physio. I told the therapist about my upcoming bike trip. I figured it was a washout for sure.

He gave me exercises to do and explained that aggravated intercostal muscles contract and can contract severely and knot or tear as they attempt to protect your internal organs causing severe stabbing pain. Fortunately mine don't appear to be torn, which can require surgery to correct, only really knotted up. He said the exercises would release these muscles and I would be fine in a week or so. WHO KNEW????

In any case now, three full days later I'm still a bit sore and doing my exercises and I am feeling 80% better and have no doubt the therapist was right and I'll be able to do the trip.

Final meeting of our group, before departure on May 10th, is tonight. I'll try to get a picture of all the guys.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:05 PM   #8
Kedgi OP
Banned

Final Pretrip Meeting

We had our final pretrip meeting tonight. Not all could attend but we had a good time talking about previous trips and planning the meet between northbound and southbound riders on this trip. We used one of our guys offices which makes a great briefing room

From left to right, Marc, Myself, and the three southbound riders, Brad, Mike and Steve

The southbound riders plan to leave Shediac on May 11th, the day after we fly to Florida and meet us in Deal's Gap

With everything ready, now we just wait to go....
Old 04-26-2012, 05:42 PM   #9
Stained
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,584

Interested in attending the HU Maritimes 2014 Meeting? Click HERE!
Stained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:50 PM   #10
Kedgi OP
Banned

Maritime Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Stain View Post

Happy to have a Maritime lurker aboard!
Old 04-27-2012, 04:46 AM   #11
jeffgrig
jeffgrig

Oddometer: 46
Bring on the adventure! I look forward to reading about your travels. Looks like a good bunch of guys...
Old 04-27-2012, 05:56 AM   #12
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffgrig View Post
Bring on the adventure! I look forward to reading about your travels. Looks like a good bunch of guys...

Hi Jeff

Welcome along on the adventure!
Old 05-03-2012, 04:57 PM   #13
Kedgi OP
Banned

One week until departure

One week and counting until we fly to Miami to start our adventure. I'll be sending updates and photos from the road using a new netbook, at least that's the plan, we'll see how that goes.

I'm taking a GoPro with me, if time allows I'll try and edit a bit of video and include that too. I find video editing kind of slow so I may have to do that when we get back but we'll see. I will send lots of pictures for sure.

Gables Honda/Kawasaki of Miami has been kind enough to receive our bikes and hold them for us, making the whole trip possible

Lidia Martinez in Gables service department has been excellent and arranged to do some last minute maintenance for us like tire installs etc prior to our arrival. Awesome!

Thanks Lidia

If you're riding in the Miami area, Gables Motorsports has treated us very well.

Stay tuned......

The ride is about to start

Kedgi screwed with this post 05-03-2012 at 05:10 PM
Old 05-03-2012, 06:49 PM   #14
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,599
I hope you can afford the trip after your medical bills. Oh no wait...Canada...national health... Oh well it's 85 degrees and no snow in southernmost Florida so back spasms aren't needed here. Which is just as well as they bankrupt people here.

IBA#39,523
conchscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:02 PM   #15
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchscooter View Post
I hope you can afford the trip after your medical bills. Oh no wait...Canada...national health... Oh well it's 85 degrees and no snow in southernmost Florida so back spasms aren't needed here. Which is just as well as they bankrupt people here.
In Canada we are lucky to be able to go to hospital when we need to but nothing is ever free. A dozen beer here is $22.00 and gas is over a $1/gallon more than in the USA. Even if you don't drink beer they still get you, a gallon of milk is over $7.00 To top it all off we're paying 13.5% sales tax on everything with very few exceptions, like food.

We pay for our "free" healthcare in many ways.

Looking forward to some warm weather. It was 11C here today, about 52 F degrees

I envy you living in the Keys. I make at least one trip to Key West every winter if I can.

My "happy place" is the Green Parrot

Kedgi screwed with this post 05-03-2012 at 08:04 PM