Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2012, 01:41 PM   #1
leeinmemphis OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,122
I finally get to hang out with cool guys

Hey everyone,

I spent the weekend up in St. Louis test riding scooters and trying to decide on which one I really wanted. When we headed home I had decided that I was going to purchase a new '09 TMax from a local dealer. After we got home last night I did some craigslist searching and I found a Big Ruckus within a couple hours drive. I rode out there this afternoon and brought it home. I've been listing WTB Big Ruckus ads on craigslist for probably close to a year and this one just kinda fell in my lap so I jumped on it. It has 5900 miles and came with two windshields. I've been riding my wifes scooter some and she told me it was time to find one for my own.

Here's a few pics:

Tonight is the local scooter club's meeting. I'm gonna scoot on down and see what they have going on. :)
'06 Honda Silver wing
'86 Honda Elite 150 Deluxe

leeinmemphis screwed with this post 04-09-2012 at 02:47 PM
leeinmemphis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:41 PM   #2
Dabears
--------------------

Oddometer: 548
I like! How did the Sprinter do with the Versahaul and the Big Ruckus on the back?

Any thoughts about the VersaHaul?
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:47 PM   #3
leeinmemphis OP
Beastly Adventurer

Sprinter did not even know it was back there. This was only my second time to use the versa haul. Initial impressions are pretty good. The way the ramp is shipped from the factory it rests on metal and makes a hell of a sound going down the road. I put some adhesive felt on it and that cured the noise. Now I'm trying to figure out how to put a cargo basket behind the versa haul to give us more storage.
'06 Honda Silver wing
Old 04-09-2012, 03:39 PM   #4
Warney
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 568
You'll have fun with that! Totalruckus (Big Ruckus section) is your friend.
Warney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:19 PM   #5
leeinmemphis OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warney View Post
You'll have fun with that! Totalruckus (Big Ruckus section) is your friend.
oh yeah I've been a lurker for a LONG time. I actually put up a post about touch up paint and someone pointed me in the right direction within just a few minutes. I this scoot!!!!
'06 Honda Silver wing
Old 04-09-2012, 05:51 PM   #6
lambotte
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Not to be a thread highjacker, but I'm in the market for a new maxi scoot. Can you report where the tmax was for sale in st Louis and how much? Thanks. Nice big ruckus by the way.
lambotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:31 PM   #7
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Nice! As you probably know those is becoming hard to find now.

But that don't mean you shouldn't have fun on it! Yea they's hard to find. But tear it up and enjoy it! Put some miles on it, take some minor offroading [some has done it and with offroad/Dual Sport type tires they's pretty good on light offroad]. I tear it up offroad all the time on my old 86 Elite 150, I need offroad tires its slides all over with the street tires but its still a blast. And, that there is one of the more "macho" looking scoots. Obviously you don't buy a scooter for that though! It proves your comfortable and not insecure!

But you'll love it. I see you has a RoadGlide and a KLR, so this is a great in the middle size. 250 cc is perfect. The Tmax is nice, but you really only need over 250 cc if youse gonna use it as your only/or biggest bike.

I like the BR myself, but its far to expansive for me.

Enjoy and post pics/stories of your rides!
Old 04-10-2012, 09:57 AM   #8
HandKPhil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 470
Mad Tmax!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
wait? let me get this straight???? YOU had a chance to buy a Yamaha Tmax and you bought a Ruckus instead??
do you know the Tmax is like gold? used ones are going for much more than what they cost new,,,, everybody wants one! The only reason why people are cutting down the Tmax cause they are jealous ,, it makes the scooter they own look bad. Its like what President Obama is doing, he cuts down the republicans just to make himself look better, he knows the republicans have better ideas, they would fix the economy if they were in power, but if that would happen that would make him look bad,,,,,,same thing.
Sounds like a great business opportunity to me - buying new Tmax's, using them for a day or two ( to turn them in to used Tmax's), then selling them for way more than you paid for them new! You may be right, these Tmax's may very well be like gold!

(too bad Tmax's are slow, ugly, uncomfortable, noisy, prone to rust, bad for the environment, overpriced, underpowered and technologically inferior to an old Honda Spree)
Old 04-10-2012, 11:37 AM   #9
snakebit
growing old disgracefully

Oddometer: 1,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeinmemphis View Post
Sprinter did not even know it was back there. This was only my second time to use the versa haul. Initial impressions are pretty good. The way the ramp is shipped from the factory it rests on metal and makes a hell of a sound going down the road. I put some adhesive felt on it and that cured the noise. Now I'm trying to figure out how to put a cargo basket behind the versa haul to give us more storage.
My rack is not a Versa but very similar. I moved my ramp to behind the bike and had trays (for lack of a better word) fabricated and welded to fill the gap between the wheel channel and the bumper of my e 150.

The trays are simply aluminum angle with expanded aluminum mesh for the bottom. One side easily holds the Honda generator and a gallon fuel jug, the other tray carries propane bottles and firewood.

Works well for me and keeps the extra weight forward.
snakebit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:22 PM   #10
leeinmemphis OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambotte View Post
Not to be a thread highjacker, but I'm in the market for a new maxi scoot. Can you report where the tmax was for sale in st Louis and how much? Thanks. Nice big ruckus by the way.
in St. Louis there was an '09 but they wanted $1k more than I could get in Memphis. The dealer in memphis is "Honda of Memphis".
'06 Honda Silver wing
Old 04-16-2012, 07:19 PM   #11
creighta
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Dealer here always has T-maxes in, not many used, but always new ones available. That BR is a sweet ride, the 250 honda scoots are indestructible and great for everything but long interstate runs.

BTW-as I remember it Clinton started the economic tank and Bush stepped in it. These things run their courses and no one can really do shit to fix it, just try to keep it from getting worse like buying car companies or sending checks to folks who actually pay taxes (thanks G.W.!)

Can we get back to scooter forum now! Congrats on the new bike, you won't want a motorcycle after having a great scoot...you eventually grow fond of the laughs.
creighta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:21 AM   #12
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 30,878
Congrats Lee. BRs have a serious cool factor. How much did you pay for it if you don't mind my asking?
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:31 AM   #13
leeinmemphis OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap View Post
Congrats Lee. BRs have a serious cool factor. How much did you pay for it if you don't mind my asking?
I paid $2950 for it. It came with two windshields and was spotless(and I mean SPOTLESS). To be honest he was asking $2950 for it but I would have paid $3500 for one if I had to. I'm really glad that the Ruck so far has been great for everything I hoped. I have just turned 6k miles on it this week. So far I've only put about 100 miles on it but I really like it. I'm probably going to work on the carb to clean it up. The ruck is nowhere even close to the quickness of our helix. Everywhere I've ridden it I have been asked what it is, how fast will it go, gas mpg etc. I ordered a bracket to put a top case on the back of it. I'm going to really fight the urge and not go crazy on this bike with accessories. ( yeah right ). Only read "mod" I'm going to likely do is a rear shock change. As sorry as the stock shock is they could have just put a rigid strut in there.
'06 Honda Silver wing
Old 04-17-2012, 08:14 AM   #14
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 30,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeinmemphis View Post
I paid $2950 for it. It came with two windshields and was spotless(and I mean SPOTLESS). To be honest he was asking $2950 for it but I would have paid $3500 for one if I had to. I'm really glad that the Ruck so far has been great for everything I hoped. I have just turned 6k miles on it this week. So far I've only put about 100 miles on it but I really like it. I'm probably going to work on the carb to clean it up. The ruck is nowhere even close to the quickness of our helix. Everywhere I've ridden it I have been asked what it is, how fast will it go, gas mpg etc. I ordered a bracket to put a top case on the back of it. I'm going to really fight the urge and not go crazy on this bike with accessories. ( yeah right ). Only read "mod" I'm going to likely do is a rear shock change. As sorry as the stock shock is they could have just put a rigid strut in there.

That is an exceptional price from what I have seen. Good score brother.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:49 AM   #15
seraph
asshole on a scooter

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
wait? let me get this straight???? YOU had a chance to buy a Yamaha Tmax and you bought a Ruckus instead??
do you know the Tmax is like gold? used ones are going for much more than what they cost new,,,, everybody wants one! The only reason why people are cutting down the Tmax cause they are jealous ,, it makes the scooter they own look bad. Its like what President Obama is doing, he cuts down the republicans just to make himself look better, he knows the republicans have better ideas, they would fix the economy if they were in power, but if that would happen that would make him look bad,,,,,,same thing.
If you think used T-Maxes are hot shit you've clearly never tried looking for a Big Ruckus. They were only available in the US for a short time, they didn't sell particularly well when they did, but they fit a niche that no other scooters has ever touched. These things combined make them worth a lot to the people that want them.

The Big Ruck is the only maxiscoot I'd consider, but they tend to be too expensive and too hard to find for me to seriously consider buying one. Maybe someday.

And why the hell did you have to bring politics into this? This is a scooter discussion. Nobody gives a shit how you vote.

leeinmemphis, congrats on the buy, and that is a pretty good deal! For comparison, the only Big Ruckus on craigslist within 100 miles of Seattle is a 2006, at a dealer, with 2,800 miles, for $4,999.
seraph is offline   Reply With Quote