Old 04-17-2012, 08:10 PM   #16
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,627
"col" or "cool"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeinmemphis View Post
Hey everyone, . . . etc)
Your Thread Title confused me. I'd taken that word "col" as an abbreviation for the word used for African Americans back up to the '50s and '60s. Now you're suddenly using the word "cool"?

Were you momentarily over-excited by the scooter's "Yellow" color?

By color on this occasion - the color Yellow can be common to both the Tmax and to the Big Ruckus.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:28 AM   #17
leeinmemphis OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by vortexau View Post
Your Thread Title confused me. I'd taken that word "col" as an abbreviation for the word used for African Americans back up to the '50s and '60s. Now you're suddenly using the word "cool"?

By color on this occasion - the color Yellow can be common to both the Tmax and to the Big Ruckus.
it was a simple typo....no more no less.
leeinmemphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:25 PM   #18
creighta
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
WOW this thread has taken a lot of turns................................You racist republican bastard !!

Better get off here and ride that new bike before someone else is offended by this post. How about a ride report I wanna know how that does off-road.
creighta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:05 PM   #19
leeinmemphis OP
Beastly Adventurer

the local scooter club is having a scooter rally this weekend. I hope to learn lots about scooters over the next couple of weeks.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:08 PM   #20
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,865
Quote:
the local scooter club is having a scooter rally this weekend. I hope to learn lots about scooters over the next couple of weeks.
There was a HUGE scooter rally here in nOLA a few weeks back. There were some seriously modded scoots cruising the town. Your bike will certainly garner attention!
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:21 PM   #21
leeinmemphis OP
Beastly Adventurer

some of the local club folks went but I didn't know about it until it was too late to put something together.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:38 PM   #22
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 753
Quote:
I paid $2950 for it. It came with two windshields and was spotless(and I mean SPOTLESS). To be honest he was asking $2950 for it but I would have paid $3500 for one if I had to. I'm really glad that the Ruck so far has been great for everything I hoped. I have just turned 6k miles on it this week. So far I've only put about 100 miles on it but I really like it. I'm probably going to work on the carb to clean it up. The ruck is nowhere even close to the quickness of our helix. Everywhere I've ridden it I have been asked what it is, how fast will it go, gas mpg etc. I ordered a bracket to put a top case on the back of it. I'm going to really fight the urge and not go crazy on this bike with accessories. ( yeah right ). Only read "mod" I'm going to likely do is a rear shock change. As sorry as the stock shock is they could have just put a rigid strut in there.
I'm curious. I have a BR clone I bought for half that, new...I like it; but it's got a lot of problems. Chief of which is it's twitchy in sweepers; and the caster on the front fork makes it unstable at low speeds. And...compared to other bikes and scoots, it's very, very light. (Not a problem in all ways; it makes moving it about and trailering it a snap.)

Did you by chance compare a clone to the real BR? How do the two compare...other than, obviously, having more power?

I have vascillated...between getting a BR; and just accepting what I have as a gofer bike and using the other two in my stable for traveling rides. That's probably how I'll leave it; because no matter how cool it looks, the wind beating the body does get tiresome and cold.
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:56 AM   #23
mrnoitall
Banned

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
. The ruck is nowhere even close to the quickness of our helix.
That does not sound right. I've owned two helixes and have talked to ruckus owners who have owned or ridden helixes and they say they are very comparable in speed.. The helix having perhaps a little bit more up top. I think you would be right to clean the carbs. Something must be holding it back.
mrnoitall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:11 PM   #24
leeinmemphis OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnoitall View Post
That does not sound right. I've owned two helixes and have talked to ruckus owners who have owned or ridden helixes and they say they are very comparable in speed.. The helix having perhaps a little bit more up top. I think you would be right to clean the carbs. Something must be holding it back.
Yeah I kind of figured. I put some sea foam in the tank a couple days ago. I'm going to try to ride it some to see if it won't get any better with some exercise. Also the bike has 6k miles on it.....I guess it could be worn rollers or variator. Honestly I've done some reading but still haven't been able to make heads or tails out of it. I'm going to start with the carb then go from there. The guy only put 600 miles on it last year so it has been sitting up quite a bit.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:17 PM   #25
leeinmemphis OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyJones View Post
I'm curious. I have a BR clone I bought for half that, new...I like it; but it's got a lot of problems. Chief of which is it's twitchy in sweepers; and the caster on the front fork makes it unstable at low speeds. And...compared to other bikes and scoots, it's very, very light. (Not a problem in all ways; it makes moving it about and trailering it a snap.)

Did you by chance compare a clone to the real BR? How do the two compare...other than, obviously, having more power?

I have vascillated...between getting a BR; and just accepting what I have as a gofer bike and using the other two in my stable for traveling rides. That's probably how I'll leave it; because no matter how cool it looks, the wind beating the body does get tiresome and cold.
CJ.....I'm real new to the scooter scene with my only other experience with scooters having been the helix that we purchased last fall. To me the big ruckus handles better in parking lots but it rides AWEFUL . Apparently the rear shock on these things were junk from the factory but I have a bitumbo shock on the way. I hope to have it next week.

I never got a chance to see a clone in person but I did think about going in that direction. Honestly I'm to the point in life where I want to ride and not have to tinker with them all the time. I've only had the Ruckus up to 60 mph indicated on speedo but it doesn't feel twitchy at all. I'm now really glad that I didn't buy the Kymco up in St. Louis because the Big Ruck was ultimately what I really wanted. I've ridden it for running errands a couple times and no matter where I stop I get at least one question on it.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:31 AM   #26
leeinmemphis OP
Beastly Adventurer

Today I spent a few hours out in the garage and got the following installed:

- the airstream windshield it came with was mounted so that the windshield was literally in my lap so I flipped some brackets around and did a little "tweaking" to the mounting hardware and it turned out night and day better.

-installed the ebay rear rack

-installed caribou luggage universal plate on the rear rack so I can use one box between the two bikes(although I'm betting it'll pretty much stay on the scooter

- adjusted the handlebars(which were turned way down in the triple clamps making it akward at times)

- installed a few of Pro Grip gel 747 dual sport grips(I really like the feel of these from the klr so I figured to stay with what I know works)

- the day I got home with the bike I ordered some of the yellow frame touch up paint. I went out and hit the big spots with a little touch up paint.

This weekend there is a local scooter rally and I'm planning on hanging out quite a bit this weekend. At this point I do not have any further mods planned(other than a new set of tires in maybe another 1-2k miles.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:35 PM   #27
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,865
Talk politics in CSM.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote