Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2012, 06:22 AM   #16
Nytelyte
Somewhere about

Oddometer: 602
Amen to resale value. I just sold my salvage title 2000 TJ Sport, 140k miles, some rust spots, used pretty hard, but maintained and perfect drivetrainwise, for $5000. Only modifications were 32in tires, a bumper, some KC lights and a tow hitch. Its amazing how much these in beat up shape actually sell for. And unlike most 'Fun' cars there doesn't seem to be much market swing. Motorcycles are cheaper in the winter and go up in the spring, same with convertibles, but Jeeps seem to ALWAYS be in their prime... In the spring people want for the summer fun, in the summer people want for the utility and going places, in the fall and winter all people can think about is 4WD and Snow.

Its a great off road vehicle, but was less fun on the road. If you plan to use it day-to-day for stuff, look into the Unlimited if you can find one in your price range. With my standard sized TJ it would barely fit a weeks grocery run until I took out the back seat, an Unlimited would have vastly increased its utility as a normal vehicle.

Good Luck. Its fun. Along with your Jeep purchase you should look into credit cards with good fuel reward points...
Nytelyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:35 AM   #17
Beemer Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,444
I bought a '98 TJ from an inmate this year. 2.5 4 cyl 5 speed 4:10 gears. Raised it 2.5 inches and put new 31's on. The ride is no different with the lift. Mine is my DD when I can't ride but I don't recommend long trips. Soft top and very noisy, I love it!!!!!! I paid 1/2 of what you're willing to pay. Shop around.

"Often wrong but NEVER in doubt"!
Beemer Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:41 AM   #18
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer: 11,313
I'm confused how the sharing with your wife's father is going to work out... that sounds like a weird deal...
RocketJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:44 AM   #19
Ritalin Boy
Petroconsumptivitius

Oddometer: 5,149
December of 2010 I bought a 97 TJ for $6,500 with soft top and five speed manual. It has 87k when I got it, now it's just over 101k.

I want a hard top....

Ritalin Boy screwed with this post 04-10-2012 at 11:49 AM Reason: didn't get the year of my jeep right. Doh!
Ritalin Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:52 AM   #20
groop
So much to ponder

Oddometer: 3,046
Bought a 99 TJ 4.0 5-speed last month with 90K for $7100. Original everything, one owner Jeep. I wish it had the full doors and hardtop, more for security purposes. However, removing/storing a hard top would be an issue at my house. Unless you plan on doing a ton of offroad driving, I wouldn't spend too much time stressing over axles. You live in Texas, right? Are there even hills in Texas?

Look around. There are tons of Jeeps for sale
Old 04-10-2012, 07:54 AM   #21
RxZ OP
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketJohn View Post
I'm confused how the sharing with your wife's father is going to work out... that sounds like a weird deal...
Basically, I would use it 90% of the time as my main vehicle (well, when not taking the bike to work). When he wants to use it, I would take his Honda CRV until he brings the Jeep back. He wants a Jeep for a 3rd car/toy. I have always wanted one, but never been in a position to get one until recently. He knows that if he gets one it will only rarely get used, so this way he can have a Jeep available but not have to pay so much. (He was looking to pay around 10K, so this way he saves several thousand dollars, but still has a quality used Jeep that he can use.) Its a win-win for us both.
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:57 PM   #22
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 4,939
Here's something else to consider. If you want a hardtop or if you ever thing you'll ever want a hardtop get one with the Jeep. They are expensive in the used market. (aftermarket tops generally suck compared to OEM.) Also, the doors will most likely not line up 100% and need to be adjusted. And since the doors are painted with the hinges on, it will usually expose bare metal. Also, more then likely you will not find a matching door in the color of your Jeep at the price you want to pay. It's a lot cheaper to put a soft top on a hardtop Jeep then the other way round.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:21 PM   #23
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
Basically, I would use it 90% of the time as my main vehicle (well, when not taking the bike to work). When he wants to use it, I would take his Honda CRV until he brings the Jeep back. He wants a Jeep for a 3rd car/toy. I have always wanted one, but never been in a position to get one until recently. He knows that if he gets one it will only rarely get used, so this way he can have a Jeep available but not have to pay so much. (He was looking to pay around 10K, so this way he saves several thousand dollars, but still has a quality used Jeep that he can use.) Its a win-win for us both.
I have used that same arrangement with my father in law in the past for a truck, and it worked just fine. Yes, it was more of a not in your face way for him to help out the wife and I when we were first starting out.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:39 PM   #24
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,477
Just because you have a Jeep doesn't necessarily mean you will modufy it. I have a 2007 JK Rubicon. I just replaced my OEM tires today at 61k miles. I've been debating on mods for months, but today I hit the realization that I have NEVER been stuck in this Jeep. My only fear is drowning it, but snorkels are way cheaper than lift kits. So I decided to keep my 20mpg and throw another set of BF Goodrich Mud Terrains in stock size.

Sent from my Droid 2 Global using Typotalk 2
Old 04-10-2012, 03:43 PM   #25
Owyhee
Ran when parked

Oddometer: 508
I had a 1997 4 cylinder TJ with a soft top and 31"s for five years. It was the worst vehicle I ever owned. I miss it every day.

-Owyhee
Old 04-10-2012, 04:00 PM   #26
andr3w
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
I would defiantly commend you on your choice of the 4.0 motor. One of the best motors ever put into a Jeep, in my personal opinion.

I just got rid of a '95 Jeep Cherokee and it had 260,000 miles on the original engine, never did any major repairs to it.

I would also second what multiple people have said about getting one with a hardtop... but only if you have a place to store it when you want to remove it.

While I prefer a hardtop due to less noise and better security, I would take a softop over a hard top in a split second if I lived in an apartment or such and didn't have a place to put it.. after all, a Wrangler whose top can't come off is even less fun then other things whose tops cant come off.... ;)

But they are all fun, and enjoy whatever you get!

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk
andr3w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:33 PM   #27
RxZ OP
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,806
Found a 1998 Wrangler Sport that the owner is asking 10K, with 32,000 miles. Sound good? Looks like the only mods ever done were fog lights, and 33 inch tires.
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:41 PM   #28
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 4,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
Found a 1998 Wrangler Sport that the owner is asking 10K, with 32,000 miles. Sound good? Looks like the only mods ever done were fog lights, and 33 inch tires.
To clear 33" tires it would have to have some kind of lift or a lot of fender cutting. Personally, I'd look for a stock Jeep. I hate having to fix other people's projects.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:42 PM   #29
andr3w
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
What condition does it appear to be in?

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk
andr3w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:05 PM   #30
ray h
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
I'll probably take flak for this but oh well, Ive got enough experience with Jeeps to dismiss the flak.
Ive owned and off roaded a YJ, a TJ and an XJ. For the uses you discrribe, an XJ would be most suitable. You didnt say anything about taking the top off, you did mention camping and commuting and winter driving. The XJ is as good if not better at those things AND for a cheaper entrance fee. You can pick up a very nice XJ for $4000. Be aware, they stopped making them in 2001 so you wont find one that's less than 12 years old but there are still some nice ones out there, and they are dirt cheap. They have a bulletproof drivetrain (basically the same as a Wrangler), parts are plentiful and inexpensive, the aftermarket is very extensive and they are easy to work on. Like I said, very similar to the Wrangler, with alot less expensive buy in.
Im not busting on Wranglers at all, I currently own a 99 TJ and Im very happy with it. We enjoy taking the top off in the summer and playing in the snow in the winter, as well as the occasional relaxing trip in the woods (we gave up rockcrawling many years ago) or the occasional commute, but, I wouldnt want to drive it every day and I wouldnt want to cram a couple kids and camping gear in it (been there, done that).
The reason I suggest a cheaper vehicle is because the deal with your FIL sounds kind of odd. I get along with my FIL very well and we are very close but there is no way I would share a vehicle with him, especially one that I needed to drive back and forth to work. You would know better than I would, but that just seems like a bad idea.
ray h is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: