Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2012, 07:32 PM   #31
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,427
Why did I buy a JK Unlimited? Because Jeep stopped making the XJ.

The unlimited gives me roughly the same functionality as the XJ, but with a removable top and a 6 speed manual.

XJ's rock.

Sent from my Droid 2 Global using Typotalk 2
Old 04-11-2012, 06:36 AM   #32
RxZ OP
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
Found a 1998 Wrangler Sport that the owner is asking 10K, with 32,000 miles. Sound good? Looks like the only mods ever done were fog lights, and 33 inch tires.
Never mind. Ad went up last night, called this morning and already gone! Must have been a great deal in someone's book

Oh well, many fish in the sea as "they" say.
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:43 AM   #33
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,243
Eh, I would worry more about rust than miles, the 4.0 is a rock.
Tallbastid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:47 AM   #34
RxZ OP
Legal Drug Dealer

Funny all the XJ love... I found one just last week (before the fil thing happened) with 170K miles, but in pristine condition. 4x4, leather, fully loaded and everything worked. However, guy wouldn't sell for less than 7,000 dollars. I don't know, with that many miles I did not feel like spending that much money. 3-4K I would have bought it on the spot.

I have no problems with the XJ, and they definitely have their place; probably much more practical than a Wrangler... but that removable soft top...
Old 04-11-2012, 07:57 AM   #35
wibornz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
The 4.0 motor is a 300,000 mile motor.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:52 AM   #36
Infracaninophile
Finding My Way..

Oddometer: 7,515
Quote:
Funny all the XJ love... I found one just last week (before the fil thing happened) with 170K miles, but in pristine condition. 4x4, leather, fully loaded and everything worked. However, guy wouldn't sell for less than 7,000 dollars. I don't know, with that many miles I did not feel like spending that much money. 3-4K I would have bought it on the spot.

I have no problems with the XJ, and they definitely have their place; probably much more practical than a Wrangler... but that removable soft top...
Cherokees are OK, but Wranglers are Icons. We've owned ONE Cherokee and 5 Wranglers (so far). Current Jeep is a 2006 TJ/LJ Rubicon Unlimited. Last year of the Unlimited and the 4.0 I-6. It's a very crude car (compared to my DD a 2010 4Runner) but it's so much fun if used as intended. To me a Cherokee is just one of many of the same genre where it's not even the best one in that class IMHO.

Tom
Infracaninophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:05 PM   #37
ray h
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
Quote:

$7000 is too much for any XJ.
Originally you didnt say you wanted to go topless, matter of fact, you entertained talk of a hard top TJ. Had you said you wanted a soft top I wouldnt have even brought up the XJ. Dont kidd yourself into thinking you will get a hard top and remove it everytime you want to go topless. I cant count the number of people I knew that got the two top package and the hard top just sat in the backyard or garage unused. You will get tired switching it out, believe me.
I love XJs (under the skin they are 90% the same as a Wrangler), but for summer fun with the top off, a Wrangler can't be bested. This is the only reason we (wifey and I ) still have HER TJ and not MY old XJ. Honestly, my XJ was 3 years older, off roaded more and had 30000 more miles than her TJ, and it ran better and was more reliable than her TJ. BUT the top didnt come off, so its gone now. YES. three years later and its still a sore spot for me .
ray h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:30 PM   #38
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,427
My XJ is absolutely the vehicle I miss most. Remember, the French designed the XJ to be small, light, and capable. It could turn on a dime, offroad anywhere, and I could still fit the golf clubs in the back. Today's monstrosities don't have the nimbleness that the XJ had. I really think that is why the Unlimited is so popular. I know that is why I own one.

I got 236k miles out of my XJ on the factory engine and tranny, without any work other than changing fluids. I finally burned the tranny out at the 236k mark, and donated her to charity. I didn't have the cash for the repair, and I already had another running car. The tax write off was for full blue book, so I took the bait, and have regretted it ever since.

The only vehicle that has brought me as much satisfaction is my JK Unlimited Rubicon. Same capability, arguably more, but it feels heavier. However, being able to drop the top makes up for it!

I put the hardtop on in the winter because my wife insists I do. Once it is on it doesn't come off until spring. Taking the hardtop off for a day is just a pain, unless you have a winch.

When the softop is on, I drop it almost daily. I put it up at night in case of a storm or heavy dew, but it is down in the mornings for the commute into work. Going topless rocks!
Old 04-11-2012, 11:35 PM   #39
discochris
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,215
My next vehicle is almost assuredly going to be a Wrangler. (Looks like next year at this point, despite my wanting to get one sooner). The single biggest thing about them that makes them unique is that they're a convertible. There isn't another US market vehicle in this niche. While the XJ was and still is, a great, durable, practical truck, they're still functionally just another SUV/wagon in many ways.
discochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:18 AM   #40
Nytelyte
Somewhere about

Oddometer: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brton161 View Post
Eh, I would worry more about rust than miles, the 4.0 is a rock.
This.
My old Cherokee with the 4.0 had 250k when I bought it and 300K when I sold it and ran just fine then. Was a beast of an engine. Just keep up with the oil changes and it will go forever.

Side note, I have a set of these:
http://www.autoaccessoriesgarage.com...c-Lite-Shields
But the yellow ones kicking around in my garage from my old jeeps. I liked them, they change the light output to a more fog-light like yellow, was nice in the snow.

They are scratched and not beautiful, but no cracks or chips and work just fine. If anyone in riding distance wants to have them for free, hit me up, I'll meet an inmate somewhere for a bite or something.
Nytelyte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:13 AM   #41
RxZ OP
Legal Drug Dealer

Going to look at a 1999 TJ with about 75K miles later today. They are asking 10K flat, but I fell like it should be lower. Question is, how much? It is in good shape, no mods to worry about having to go back and fix. It has had the radiator and header replaced, not sure what that is about??? Anyway, what would a reasonable offer be, 8K? And are there normal reasons why the radiator and headers would have been replaced at 75K miles? Maybe its just age of the vehicle, and maybe I am just paranoid... I don't like spending money

That said, I am excited!
Old 04-13-2012, 08:08 AM   #42
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 4,913
Quote:
Going to look at a 1999 TJ with about 75K miles later today. They are asking 10K flat, but I fell like it should be lower. Question is, how much? It is in good shape, no mods to worry about having to go back and fix. It has had the radiator and header replaced, not sure what that is about??? Anyway, what would a reasonable offer be, 8K? And are there normal reasons why the radiator and headers would have been replaced at 75K miles? Maybe its just age of the vehicle, and maybe I am just paranoid... I don't like spending money

That said, I am excited!
Exhaust manifold sometimes crack. The stock radiator has plastic tanks crimped to the metal core. They sometimes leak at the seam.

Without pics it's hard to make any sort of estimate.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:14 PM   #43
AKjeff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,889
Something I just remembered.
Check the skid plate bolts. They are known to rust into the nutserts in the frame. If the tranny has ever been pulled some of the bolts may be broken off.
It's not a deal killer, it can be fixed. It requires a bit of mechanical aptitude, or pay someone to do it.

AKjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:03 PM   #44
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,243
Quote:

That said, I am excited!
In my experience some people realize how high resale value on a TJ is and ask ridiculous prices for them thinking they've hit jackpot. I think 10k is high for a 13 year old tj even with such low miles. I bought my 00 TJ with 68k four years ago for 8k. Transfer case bolts are a big thing as last poster mentioned. Getting them out when they are seized or spinning sucks! Rust should be your biggest concern, not so much miles.
Tallbastid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:16 PM   #45
RxZ OP
Legal Drug Dealer

Cool, good to know. I had checked eBay's recently sold Jeeps, and could find none in all of America that were around this age and miles that had sold for 10K, unless there were very specific things done to the Jeeps (like garage kept, 20K miles, etc). I took the $9995 as a starting point for negotiations

The one I went and looked at tonight... Lots of work on in the engine bay, which honestly wasn't a big concern; none of it was on the block, just hoses, exhaust manifold, new plastic radiator, etc. The Jeep drove great as far as I could tell. Brakes seemed weak, but that may just be because I am used to my old 09 Civic Si, not to mention the bike. However, the deal breaker was I couldn't get 4WD to engage. No idea why, may have been a simple fix. Then again, with only 75K miles, I would expect 4x4 to work.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: