Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2012, 09:35 AM   #31
slowinfastout
6 x 275cc

Oddometer: 1,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
I think there are other choices besides a big heavy Harley.
I have had a number of Harleys over the years and like the old ones better then anything they make now.

But there are other cool bikes out there you can have fun on.
Guzzi's, Triumph (new and old), etc.

There are bikes in the middle between a race bike and a Harley.
My Harley bias comes from the fact they are all low and very heavy, and 95% of the bikes on the road around here are big twin Harley's ridden by people who dress like the big bad biker who do not know how to ride.
+1

I had a Road King, and it was OK for slow, easy cruzin' days, but the whole LIFESTYLE thing was just over the top for me. Everyone being 'bad' when you got around a group of Harley riders. Walk into a BMW store by comparison and everyone is friendly and wants to talk bikes. And then of course, I was tail-end-Charlie trying to keep up with my pals on the RK, it just couldn't go like my pal's non-Harley bikes.

But - get what you like, for sure. You can always bail and trade out if you get bored with it after a season of riding. I'm all about trying one of everything. Don't overlook the Guzzi's...you get the Italian Harley engine (just turned 90 degrees) and they ride considerably better.

* 2012 BMW K1600GTL
* 2013 Triumph Scrambler
* 1982 Kawasaki GPz 750
slowinfastout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:41 AM   #32
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,376
I went through a similar thought process, wanted to slow down, but couldn't give up the twisties and went with an XR1200 a couple of years back. It definitely served its purpose in that regard - maintaining fun at reduced speeds - I really did enjoy the gobs of torque, and character, of that motor, and the bike handled a lot better than you'd expect. It was the only bike I've ever owned that consistently wore out the sides of all its tires before the centers.

It was junk however, and in 24mo/24k, it spent about 10 weeks in the shop on warranty repairs. I had to unload it when the warranty expired.... also not happy with how the Motor Co. handled things.

It was my first....and last, HD experience.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:55 AM   #33
Boxer-lust
Banned

Oddometer: 528
You definately got serious issues...
First I would do some soulsearching why you have a love/hate relationship with riding.
Sounds to me you got scared scratching and now you want something slow to putt around and block traffic...
Anyways I had a Harley (FXRS) when I was in my 20's and thought it was cool and would love it but hated it.
No power,no ground clearance,no brakes and also getting mistaken for all those HOG clowns @ wannabee badasses in their cookie cutter conformity...
Of course you can only answer your question yourself but if you still like to ride fast get a bike that is fun on the track and ride fast there which is fun & much safer than on the street.
For the street you already have a fun & characterful bike in form of your R1200R.
Farkle it out with a nice S-fairing and full exhaust system for good sound and you have a good looking machine,that is unique & characterful and twice the bike of any Harley when it comes to touring & occasional scratching abilities...
And if you are afraid of riding then get out of motorcycling,because even on a slow Harley you can get killed...
Boxer-lust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:57 AM   #34
sixspeed
15 under Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoADHD View Post
Ok, I've owned just about every bike out there. My current bikes are a KTM 990 SMT & a BMW R1200r, but never a Harley. I'm thinking about selling both of them and getting a Dyna Fat Bob. I rented a Fat Bob recently, did 262 miles through out local mountains and deserts and had a great time. At 51 I'm kind of tired of strafing apexes. Many of my sport riding buddies have quit due numerous stays in hospital, died or ride so they can smoke weed, get away from their miserable work / family lives, and bench race over way too many beers at day's end.

Any Harley riders out there who made the switch from sport bikes??? Traded in the peg scraping and 2100 mile tire changes cause they are trying to get back to something elemental? I'm chasing that joy I used to have for riding that has now turned into a love /hate relationship. I want to get back to riding for riding's sake, and I think the Fat Bob just might be my ticket back.
'

Well, this guy decided an '01 Road King just wasn't the right bike for his corner carving loves:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=776387

I guess my sport bike riding happened in 1985... Anyhoo, If I were to have bought new it could have been a softail but most likely it would have been a Dyna Wide Glide or maybe a Fat Bob for the dual discs. Riding the dyna, the handling just felt right and the torque of the 103 hustled the big hog away from a stop. The new 103 is a most impressive engine and with the Dyna it's in a capable chassis. Plain and simple just fun to ride at any legal speed.

Rob 2010 WR250R 2011 FLHP
sixspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:59 AM   #35
tcourdin
Resident Spooner

Oddometer: 10,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoADHD View Post
Ok, I've owned just about every bike out there. My current bikes are a KTM 990 SMT & a BMW R1200r, but never a Harley. I'm thinking about selling both of them and getting a Dyna Fat Bob. I rented a Fat Bob recently, did 262 miles through out local mountains and deserts and had a great time. At 51 I'm kind of tired of strafing apexes. Many of my sport riding buddies have quit due numerous stays in hospital, died or ride so they can smoke weed, get away from their miserable work / family lives, and bench race over way too many beers at day's end.

Any Harley riders out there who made the switch from sport bikes??? Traded in the peg scraping and 2100 mile tire changes cause they are trying to get back to something elemental? I'm chasing that joy I used to have for riding that has now turned into a love /hate relationship. I want to get back to riding for riding's sake, and I think the Fat Bob just might be my ticket back.

I never even had the urge to own a Harley, I had GSXR's, CBR's, dual sports etc. The wife begged me to test ride some Harleys while we were at a biker event, I fell in love with a Fat Bob! I bought one the next week! It handles well, it's not a sportbike but it's a joy to ride. Even better I'm not getting pulled over every time I ride it. There is nothing better than hopping on that bike and going for an evening cruise.

tcourdin screwed with this post 04-10-2012 at 10:24 AM
tcourdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:30 AM   #36
defib
Portly Paranurse

Oddometer: 122
Rent one again

Theres nothing wrong with wanting something different. My son had a anniversary edition fat boy. he let me ride it for a week end. I loved it until about after 40 miles the the diffferent riding position began to take its toll. after 2 hours I was cussing it. I loved how it sounded and handled just hated the back and knee pain. I bought a virago a while back. I kept it for 3 weeks because the riding position just didnt work for me. So next purchase was my current bike; a 2002 suzuki intruder. its big and heavy but so am I. I cant afford a HD with all I spend on tuition ( I'm 44 and have returned to school). I realize that it wont hold a line to run the dragon in 10 minutes but it will get up to 85 and cruise there all day long and I prefer not to ride the interstate. I am looking at duel sports for consideration to ride to alaska in the next 5 years. What ever you decide make sure its what you want not what someone else thinks you should have. Comfort goes along ways on longer trips. If money is an issue look at other brands. My "Metric" V-twin listed at $9,999 in 2002 new. I got it for 3600 last July. I couldn't even get a sportster for under 4k. I also like the Victory brand but have never ridden one. Try out as many different bikes as you can and go for the one that fits you and how you want to ride.

There is no such thing as an inappropiate comment; just an inappropiate audience!
defib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:04 AM   #37
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,207
Which one?

Which Harley are you wanting?

Sportster for bombing around town? A Dyna for more versatility?... Or A Touring bike for eating up the miles?
I have a few beauties and will gladly pick you up at PDX if you are interested in a Fly & Buy.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:39 AM   #38
tcourdin
Resident Spooner

Oddometer: 10,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Which Harley are you wanting?

Sportster for bombing around town? A Dyna for more versatility?... Or A Touring bike for eating up the miles?
I have a few beauties and will gladly pick you up at PDX if you are interested in a Fly & Buy.
He said he wants a Fat Bob.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:53 AM   #39
RottVet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Go for it!

I say go for the Fat Bob! I had a R1200R, found it a little cramped, and traded for a GS. Then bought a basically new Fat Bob to either silence or verify my Harley trash talking. Put on some VH pipes,breather and fuelpak, and it is a different, but enjoyable ride. Won't handle like the beemers, but it is competent, and is much roomier than the R. Some days I just "feel like a nut" as the almond joy slogan goes and prefer to ride it versus the teutonic transport. I promise it will put a smile on your face! It is nice to have two nice rides in the stable. Good luck and have fun.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:17 PM   #40
BigIron
Tenured Prof - Leghump U.

Oddometer: 737
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcourdin View Post
...it's a joy to ride. .

This is the only thing that counts.
BigIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:40 PM   #41
newride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 699
I'm with ya. been riding for over 25 years and have owned many bikes. Wanted a sportie forever. Selling the DR 650 (keeping the old BMW forever) to put towards a sportster. Don't care if it is even a 883. HD's are just really fun to be on.
newride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:56 PM   #42
Nadgett
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrannel View Post
OK... first of all an XR1200 (X) is on my shopping list because is it NOT a "Harley". It was a bike that HD only sold overseas for years then, finally, like some timid little girl afraid to get her Pokemon sneakers wet, brought it to the States. Finally. It's like their steroid child that refused to die. So, if you're looking for the big bike commfy feel, that's probably too close to a sport bike for your needs.

The V-Rods are really good bikes trapped in a frame designed around grand-ma's walker. So if the XR1200X is the "anti-Harley", the V-Rods are "Un-Harleys".

The "Real Harleys" are undoubtedly what you're looking for. And this is the "line" that HD has lavished most of its subtleties on. So IF you are going to do this I would caution you to spend some time looking beyond "image" and study each bike carefully to be sure you get exactly what you want.

However... just be sure you're not over-reacting. Making the jump from a sports bike to a battleship may be going too far. I just turned 65 last month, have a broken back and two titanium knees -- I ride a BMW K1200R... I wanted to slow things down a bit, not go on life support.
Maybe the XR1200 is a "pocket battleship".
Nadgett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:07 PM   #43
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,323
I started with Harleys, then went the other way.

I've owned a couple of Sportsters, my favorites.

Had a 1974 XLCH and a 1994 XLH883.

I still love Sportsters and I may own one again, but I'm waiting for the pirate fad to pass.

IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:37 PM   #44
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,157
I bought an FXST about six years ago...unusual health circumstances forced me onto a bike with a low seat height and forward controls (hip/spine issues) that I could get cheap via trade at the BMW shop. They wanted to get rid of the HD's on the floor, and I had to trade my 1150GS.

I worried about the "pirate" thing for about 10 minutes, max. Once I was on the bike, it was just plain enjoyable, and it opened my eyes to another way of motoring down the road.

I've got an XR1200X now, and I'll probably pick up an RK or RG later on once finances improve and I've got time to tour--though I'll always have a few bikes to pick from in the stable. I'll say without hesitation that I've had a great ownership experience with HD. I've got a warranty situation coming up on the XR and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it continues.

The "I don't want to be associated with pirates" thing eludes me, since I've always been a bit of a loner versus hanging out with riders by marque or any other grouping, but then again, there's that time when I wondered if I'd be an ADV Outcast. I understand it, and Lord knows the anti-harley sentiment is strong around here--it just wasn't an issue for me after I spent time on the HD.

I guess the posers that clutter the road are in my blind spot--I just tend to focus on the happy parts of riding and the good people out there. Maybe age does that to you.

Happy trails to all...

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:49 PM   #45
alii1959
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 497
Well, I have a bad feeling that I am leaning that way myself. While I love my Gixxer.....that 48 sure is purdy. Rode one, thought I would hate it, I liked it. Then rode a Vrod....really like that. I dunno...the 48 sure speaks to me. It had the illusion of speed, kinda like an old MG Midget. With a bigger tank it could be quite cool. Just thinking. It would be nice to have something different.......