Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2012, 09:25 AM   #61
Gernick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by alii1959 View Post
Well, I have a bad feeling that I am leaning that way myself. While I love my Gixxer.....that 48 sure is purdy. Rode one, thought I would hate it, I liked it. Then rode a Vrod....really like that. I dunno...the 48 sure speaks to me. It had the illusion of speed, kinda like an old MG Midget. With a bigger tank it could be quite cool. Just thinking. It would be nice to have something different.......

I looked at a 48 today. It's ass jewelry. But me likey. I need to take one for a spin later this year.
Gernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:21 PM   #62
nwdub
Banned

Oddometer: 1,097
i ride exclusively sport bikes, my daily is a zx-10

I rode a dudes cruiser the other day and fell in love.

I want a harley but cant afford it. maybe a vulcan 2000
nwdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:14 PM   #63
fxdlrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Fxdl

My first bike was a v-30 Magna in high school. When I turned 19 I bought a '94 FXDL. All my buddies were riding crotch rockets, and other misc. bikes. For the most part I kept up with them and beat the crap out of my bike. Attempted wheelies, burnies, etc. Never did anything but change oil and a voltage regulator. It's still the one I ride. Go for it. I don't think you will regret it. I don't know what it is about a Harley, but I will never be without one.

fxdlrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:57 PM   #64
rauchman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Get the Fat Bob. I've never ridden one, but I understand it's one of the better handling HD's. I've rented a Wide Glide and LOVED the visceral feeling of the bike. I've also rented a Fat Boy (not Fat Bob) and found it sort of the equivalent of the Yamaha Road Star I had at the time.

I recently had my 1st bike accident and am just about healed up. I have to put my bike back together (2007 Suzuki SV1KS), but would LOVE a HD Dyna. The Fat Bob would probably be my choice.

DO IT!!!
rauchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:06 PM   #65
IBrakeForBBQ
n00b

Oddometer: 8
My first bike was a Vulcan 900 (V-Twin cruiser). Loved the ergonomics, but the bike was loud and was an uncivilized experience on the highway (your teeth would rattle out of your head past 70 mph).

My next bike was a Versys 650 (Parallel Twin). Light weight, smooth motor, fun in traffic, and quiet. Very easy to ride in all situations, but to me, it wasn't comfortable over long trips.

My most recent bike is a marriage of the two, a 2011 Triumph America (Parallel Twin cruiser). Comfortable, light weight (the web site says 550 lbs, the manual says 498 lbs), quiet, smooth motor, nimble in traffic, good on the highway. It's light enough to be fun in traffic and easy to ride in all situations, and powerful enough to be quite tame on the highway at 80 mph (though you'll need a non-triumph aftermarket windshield as the Triumph options are quite unimpressive).

Everyone's needs are different. For me I wanted comfort, reliability, and a good all-purpose bike. Heavy cruisers are great for long tours but no fun in the city, and smaller V-Twins struggle on the highway. The America seems to find a perfect fit right in the middle for $8K. They also make a 1600/1700 Thunderbird and Thunderbird Storm, and a 2300cc beast of a machine, the Rocket 3.

The other nice thing about the Triumph, everyone loves a Triumph. Sport bike riders, dual sport riders, Harley riders, everywhere I go people stop and check out the bike. I get stopped at red lights all the time from riders and non-riders alike. It's a bike that can fit in with just about any crowd.

I can't offer much in regards to the Harley as I've never ridden one. I'm sure a larger displacement V-Twin (which you'll get with most of the Harley's) will do just fine on the highway offering a more pleasant experience than I had on the Vulcan, and you can get serviced in any city in America. I'm definitely not suggesting someone shouldn't buy one. Just adding another idea to the mix.

You might even like the Triumph Scrambler. Same motor, standard riding position, closer to the bikes you're already used to, but more cruiser-like.

And they can look pretty slick customized.

IBrakeForBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:21 PM   #66
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBrakeForBBQ View Post
And they can look pretty slick customized.

Very nice...
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:41 AM   #67
PMC
riding rider

Oddometer: 795
Bought my first HD last year at 41 and this was the first bike I've owned that the wife was pumped about. She has ridden both with me and her own bike in the past but really wasn't ever comfortable on any of the bikes we'd/she'd owned. We did about an hour test ride on an ultra limited and she was sold.

I'm not a ride around the city cruiser guy and I don't wear pirate gear, my riding gear of choice (for both of us) is still Aerostich with full face helmets. My main purpose for the bike is weekend trips and one or two week long trips a year and so far it's been fantastic. I have never been so comfortable doing 4-500 mile days on a bike. Between the riding position and having a stereo, cruise control and being able to control the air flow around me it's the bike for me.

The bike I sold to finance this one was a Ducati 1198... quite the change.

I still have a KTM 640 Adventure which I don't see getting rid of anytime soon but I am selling my Vstrom as it's lost it's nich in my garage to the Limited.

Thought about a Goldwing but didn't even make it for a test ride. Also thought about the Bimmer 1600 but at the time there was a long wait time and the passenger perch just looked a bit high to me.

Good luck and enjoy the hell out of whatever you decide on.
PMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:39 AM   #68
Matchanu
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBrakeForBBQ View Post
You might even like the Triumph Scrambler. Same motor, standard riding position, closer to the bikes you're already used to, but more cruiser-like.

I really, really wanted to like this bike. I was in love with the looks, thought it would be a great all around bike. Took it for a test ride as was very disapointed with the performance.

It's not a slug, but it just lacks guts, charactor, something. For a lot of Scram owners this isn't an issue so I don't pretend to speak for them or be the "knower of all things motorcycle". It's a lovely bike in many ways.

Now, if HD ever made a version of this bike I would be sold.
Matchanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:10 AM   #69
IBrakeForBBQ
n00b

Oddometer: 8
I've never ridden one myself. I went to buy one a few weeks back but couldn't test drive it and didn't want to risk having a bike that was uncomfortable for all day rides so I went with something I could test drive and ended up with the America.

As far as performance, a 900 is the biggest motor I have ever ridden. I can leave cars behind at the light, but not like a sport bike. It does the speed limit comfortably for me at any speed, and that's all I really wanted. If I ever got on a bigger bike, I may suddenly become less happy with mine, which is why I deliberately don't test drive anything that's bigger than my own bike. :)
IBrakeForBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:39 PM   #70
Robert OK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 419
Retro Triumphs are cool. My wife has a Bonneville and I really enjoy riding it. No replacement for a Harley though. Completely different, but not in a bad way.
Robert OK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:01 PM   #71
hadye
The Pharaoh

Oddometer: 85
So why don't you go with a VROD , sporty liquid cooled & a Harley

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
hadye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:21 PM   #72
socalmoe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
The new slim....

looks great, i saw the vivid black with the Screaming Eagle upgrades and I think I fell in love with HD all over again.
socalmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:51 PM   #73
CdnGS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMC View Post
Bought my first HD last year at 41 and this was the first bike I've owned that the wife was pumped about. She has ridden both with me and her own bike in the past but really wasn't ever comfortable on any of the bikes we'd/she'd owned. We did about an hour test ride on an ultra limited and she was sold.

I'm not a ride around the city cruiser guy and I don't wear pirate gear, my riding gear of choice (for both of us) is still Aerostich with full face helmets. My main purpose for the bike is weekend trips and one or two week long trips a year and so far it's been fantastic. I have never been so comfortable doing 4-500 mile days on a bike. Between the riding position and having a stereo, cruise control and being able to control the air flow around me it's the bike for me.

The bike I sold to finance this one was a Ducati 1198... quite the change.

I still have a KTM 640 Adventure which I don't see getting rid of anytime soon but I am selling my Vstrom as it's lost it's nich in my garage to the Limited.

Thought about a Goldwing but didn't even make it for a test ride. Also thought about the Bimmer 1600 but at the time there was a long wait time and the passenger perch just looked a bit high to me.

Good luck and enjoy the hell out of whatever you decide on.
PMC

Going thru the exact same process. Down to the HD Limited (first choice on looks and features) with the K16GTL as #2. Waitng to test ride both. Also considered the wing but after looking and sitting on one in the showroom I lost total Interest. Decision this spring and then adios amigo to the GS. Been a good bike but I'm pushing the big 5-0 and am looking for LD comfort for myself and the bride.

Any regrets on the Limited?
CdnGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:24 PM   #74
sargev55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchanu View Post
I really, really wanted to like this bike. I was in love with the looks, thought it would be a great all around bike. Took it for a test ride as was very disapointed with the performance.

It's not a slug, but it just lacks guts, charactor, something. For a lot of Scram owners this isn't an issue so I don't pretend to speak for them or be the "knower of all things motorcycle". It's a lovely bike in many ways.

Now, if HD ever made a version of this bike I would be sold.

you have to do the basic upgrades to open up the motor, its a bit different after that. it will have soul and character after that. the classic style triumphs and harleys are stupidly restricted from the factory.
Bladez Moby-S goped thingy. 35cc of whoop ass!
sargev55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:27 PM   #75
sargev55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert OK View Post
Retro Triumphs are cool. My wife has a Bonneville and I really enjoy riding it. No replacement for a Harley though. Completely different, but not in a bad way.

i would love a thruxton or scrambler in addition to my roadster. probably more the scrambler, i would take it off road
Bladez Moby-S goped thingy. 35cc of whoop ass!
sargev55 is offline   Reply With Quote