ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-13-2012, 06:30 PM   #76
sargev55
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: charlotte, nc, usa
Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBrakeForBBQ View Post
I've never ridden one myself. I went to buy one a few weeks back but couldn't test drive it and didn't want to risk having a bike that was uncomfortable for all day rides so I went with something I could test drive and ended up with the America.

As far as performance, a 900 is the biggest motor I have ever ridden. I can leave cars behind at the light, but not like a sport bike. It does the speed limit comfortably for me at any speed, and that's all I really wanted. If I ever got on a bigger bike, I may suddenly become less happy with mine, which is why I deliberately don't test drive anything that's bigger than my own bike. :)

nothing wrong with the triumph america.
__________________
2005 Harley 1200 Roadster. 72whp/76tq
1995 eclipse gs-t. 342whp/310tq
1999 ford exploder...who cares.
Bladez Moby-S goped thingy. 35cc of whoop ass!
sargev55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:18 AM   #77
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer
 
DAKEZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: OR
Oddometer: 19,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargev55 View Post
nothing wrong with the triumph america.
Not a real powerful bike. I would go with the STORM.
__________________
“Watch out for everything bigger than you, they have the "right of weight"
Bib
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:55 AM   #78
Pistolero
W. F. O.
 
Pistolero's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: TN
Oddometer: 708
I have ridden the Fat Bob. I personally LOVED it and if I had the cash to drop on one I would go to the dealer right now. I'm currently in the market for a Sportster 1200R. I had one when I just got out of high school and I loved it. (I'll be 23 this June) I want a bike that will be good for around town and short trips because my current bike, while it's my favorite bike I have ever owned, is sometimes in need of maintenance and I CAN"T deal with not being able to ride when it's took apart in the garage. Even if it's only a few days ... I'm actually selling my truck and going all motorcycle (like my fiance )... We will have a car to share but I'm going to take the jump cause I hate the cages.

But it seems like you guys are justifying buying one cause you are older... Hell I just like them! ... They are stone cold reliable and don't chew up tires like my 990 ADV ... I can get behind that idea. When I decided I wanted to go all bike I wanted something reliable... sooo I thought a four cylinder sport bike would be good... yeah, but it EATS tires like my 990 does so that's out. Plus I don't like the plastic everywhere and they are uncomfortable... then I thought about a LC4 supermoto... but I don't want to loose my license... so that's out... I kept thinking back to that Sporty and I kept saying "damn, I miss that bike" so I started thinking of reasons why it would be a great second bike.

-nimble for around town (not too nimble like that supermoto that would get me in trouble )
-SUPER reliable... Hit the button... go...
-no valve adjustments
-no chain adjustments
-they are damn stylish
-put the right pipes on it and they sound GREAT! (NOT TOO LOUD THOUGH)
-only one carb to mess with if I get a carbed model.
-super good gas mileage
-parts are easy to find for cheap
-Harley has the best customer service out of any business I have ever dealt with.

Really the only draw back I have found is there is not 6th gear and you cant gear it a bit higher cause it's belt drive... but hey that's why I have the 990 for my primary bike...

I say go for it and don't listen to the haters
Pistolero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:50 PM   #79
Taxguy
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Nanaimo, BC
Oddometer: 60
I understand the itch for a Harley. I am 50 and have had numerous bikes including Beemers, 950ADV, Vmaxes, and many dual sport and dirt bikes. But I am finding myself looking at the Road Glide Ultra. I can't explain it but it looks like I will end up with one.
Taxguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:36 AM   #80
royal
Don't Follow
 
royal's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Amherst, NH
Oddometer: 625
After owning (In order) a Suzuki Vstrom 650, Honda St1300, BMW LT, BMW RT1200, and a Kawasaki Concours, I just picked up a 2012 Electra Glide Classic.

I'm 51 and tired of being uncomfortable and I'm all done with riding aggressively. Not that any of my previous bikes were bad, but I always felt that they just weren't right for me. I, purposely, avoided Harleys because I just didn't want to be like everyone else on the road. However, I've always loved the way the big tourers looked. To me, they have nailed how a motorcycle should look.

Like a previous poster has already said, when I ride my new Harley, I can't help but laugh and smile. I've found the joy in riding again that I was missing. To Hell with what others think. I'm no pirate and I don't have the luxury of a lot of leisure time. What little time I can find, I want to enjoy. So far, the new bike is exactly what the doctor ordered. And isn't that what motorcycling should bring us ? Miles of smiles ? If it doesn't then you are on the wrong bike or in the wrong leisure activity.
__________________
I'm wasted and I can't find my way home....
royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:39 AM   #81
Mountain Cruiser
Banned
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Just Pass'n Through....
Oddometer: 1,204
You think you have issues. I want a Gold Wing.
Mountain Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:55 PM   #82
Clint Taurus
Studly Adventurer
 
Clint Taurus's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Heart of Dixie
Oddometer: 788
the softtail slim just came up on my radar screen and I like the look of it (thanks cycle world). going to test ride one this weekend may have to change out fat bob for softail slim
Clint Taurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:24 PM   #83
u wish u could ride
SHELTON CONNECTICUT.
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Oddometer: 130
bwwaaa.I just sold my lowrider(2003) and picked up a 2007 fjr.Its like two different planets never mind bikes!! I really cant say anything bad about the dyna, 27000 trouble free miles. But i can say alot of good things about the yammi!!starting with the brakes .LIKE A TWO FING PULL WITHOUT PRAYING FOR A STOP!!!ps the freegin yamaha cost MORE than the h.d go figure.......
u wish u could ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:38 PM   #84
flipr
Scofflaw
 
flipr's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Live Oak, FL
Oddometer: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le'monjello Jackson View Post
the softtail slim just came up on my radar screen and I like the look of it (thanks cycle world). going to test ride one this weekend may have to change out fat bob for softail slim
One showed up at my place a couple months ago...



__________________
Phil
Live Oak, FL

YouTube Channel
MotoVlog
flipr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:27 PM   #85
Clint Taurus
Studly Adventurer
 
Clint Taurus's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Heart of Dixie
Oddometer: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipr View Post
One showed up at my place a couple months ago...



So how do you like the "slim"? Is that windshield a HD accessory? was it $400 like the one for Fat Bob? How bout that springer seat? looks cool, is it comfy? Have you had previous HD for comparison? I'd like to know
Clint Taurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:35 PM   #86
crash n bern
Beastly Adventurer
 
crash n bern's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Brisbane Oztrailia
Oddometer: 1,232
I have used Harley's as daily transport for the last 34 years. I have owned other bikes during those years, but the Harley will always be my main transport. I like the separate engine, tranny and primary oil setup. Maintenance is oil changes and that's about it. I fitted a Memphis shades fairing and electraglide leg fairings to my road king and ride in all weather. I can load her up with all my gear and she makes a great daily workhorse. Easy to keep on the speed limit.

Harley's cop a lot of flack, but they are are good solid thing. Eric Buell designed the touring models frames and they handle quite well for what they are, although they can be helped along a lot by upgading the suspension. As for the old chestnut of Harley's not handling, I would digress on that. When compared to a sportsbike on a race track, no, but that is not within their design parameter. As a bike for doing daily battle with road obstacles they handle it extremely well. They are very stable and very forgiving. Not many bikes can leave the road at 70mph and mow down shrubs and small trees and get you back on the road in one piece. Nor make a mess out of cars and still get you home. Lumps of timber, bricks, potholes, animals and all the other things we hit on the roads, Harley's seem to handle well.

I have always found it exiting to push a bike at 100% of it's capability while I'm at 60% of mine rather than push a bike at 60% of it's capability while I'm at 100% of mine. I have only ever lost one street race to a Japanese bike. He chased me for 15 miles, I had it pinned at 135mph I knew he would get me, but I knew he would never forget it. He passed me as we were about to enter a big sweeper I knew I couldn't take. I shut it down and watched him tankslap all the way through it.


I was cruising the down the highway one night and thought to myself, "What is it about these bikes that has kept me on them for so long?" Then it came to me. The motor pulses at a similar rate to my heartbeat. Now there's an add slogan that Harley has overlooked. No other V twin has that same offset firing and that's what I beleive has so many people enamored with the Harley. Like the old sales pitch. Until you've ridden a Harley Davidson, you haven't ridden a motorcycle. They're not everyone's cup of tea, and I wouldn't expect them to be.

As for dressing like a pirate, I always thought dressing like like a cowboy would look cooler.
__________________
*Crash testing motorcycles since 1972.
crash n bern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:37 PM   #87
flipr
Scofflaw
 
flipr's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Live Oak, FL
Oddometer: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le'monjello Jackson View Post
So how do you like the "slim"? Is that windshield a HD accessory? was it $400 like the one for Fat Bob? How bout that springer seat? looks cool, is it comfy? Have you had previous HD for comparison? I'd like to know
My Slim is definitely a keeper, the 103B engine is all about torque, everything about the bike works as it should. The leather solo sprung saddle is very comfortable and the H-D quick detach windshield does a good job of deflecting the wind.

I’ve owned Harleys since the 60’s, (as well as Japanese, German, Italian, British, Russian, and Indian machines) my first new Harley was a 1976 FLH. My Harleys have been pre-AMF, AMF, post AMF, and Buell, the Slim is the best one yet.



Parts for Slim: [you can check prices @ surdyke.com]
Windshield: 57688-10
Seat: 52004-25
Seat kit: 51902-09
__________________
Phil
Live Oak, FL

YouTube Channel
MotoVlog
flipr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:03 AM   #88
Bueller
Cashin?
 
Bueller's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Hide Away Hills, Ohio
Oddometer: 17,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash n bern View Post
I have used Harley's as daily transport for the last 34 years. I have owned other bikes during those years, but the Harley will always be my main transport. I like the separate engine, tranny and primary oil setup. Maintenance is oil changes and that's about it. I fitted a Memphis shades fairing and electraglide leg fairings to my road king and ride in all weather. I can load her up with all my gear and she makes a great daily workhorse. Easy to keep on the speed limit.

Harley's cop a lot of flack, but they are are good solid thing. Eric Buell designed the touring models frames and they handle quite well for what they are, although they can be helped along a lot by upgading the suspension. As for the old chestnut of Harley's not handling, I would digress on that. When compared to a sportsbike on a race track, no, but that is not within their design parameter. As a bike for doing daily battle with road obstacles they handle it extremely well. They are very stable and very forgiving. Not many bikes can leave the road at 70mph and mow down shrubs and small trees and get you back on the road in one piece. Nor make a mess out of cars and still get you home. Lumps of timber, bricks, potholes, animals and all the other things we hit on the roads, Harley's seem to handle well.

I have always found it exiting to push a bike at 100% of it's capability while I'm at 60% of mine rather than push a bike at 60% of it's capability while I'm at 100% of mine. I have only ever lost one street race to a Japanese bike. He chased me for 15 miles, I had it pinned at 135mph I knew he would get me, but I knew he would never forget it. He passed me as we were about to enter a big sweeper I knew I couldn't take. I shut it down and watched him tankslap all the way through it.


I was cruising the down the highway one night and thought to myself, "What is it about these bikes that has kept me on them for so long?" Then it came to me. The motor pulses at a similar rate to my heartbeat. Now there's an add slogan that Harley has overlooked. No other V twin has that same offset firing and that's what I beleive has so many people enamored with the Harley. Like the old sales pitch. Until you've ridden a Harley Davidson, you haven't ridden a motorcycle. They're not everyone's cup of tea, and I wouldn't expect them to be.

As for dressing like a pirate, I always thought dressing like like a cowboy would look cooler.
Well that was entertaining!
__________________
"Bueller, you're an island of sense in a sea of bullshit" - swimmer

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:31 AM   #89
Sumo64c
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricemannv View Post
You think you have issues. I want a Gold Wing.


Proud owner of a 10' Wing at age 43....decades before the want is supposed to kick in.
Sumo64c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:54 AM   #90
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer
 
Steve G.'s Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: West is the Best
Oddometer: 6,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash n bern View Post
I have used Harley's as daily transport for the last 34 years. I have owned other bikes during those years, but the Harley will always be my main transport. I like the separate engine, tranny and primary oil setup. Maintenance is oil changes and that's about it. I fitted a Memphis shades fairing and electraglide leg fairings to my road king and ride in all weather. I can load her up with all my gear and she makes a great daily workhorse. Easy to keep on the speed limit.

Harley's cop a lot of flack, but they are are good solid thing. Eric Buell designed the touring models frames and they handle quite well for what they are, although they can be helped along a lot by upgading the suspension. As for the old chestnut of Harley's not handling, I would digress on that. When compared to a sportsbike on a race track, no, but that is not within their design parameter. As a bike for doing daily battle with road obstacles they handle it extremely well. They are very stable and very forgiving. Not many bikes can leave the road at 70mph and mow down shrubs and small trees and get you back on the road in one piece. Nor make a mess out of cars and still get you home. Lumps of timber, bricks, potholes, animals and all the other things we hit on the roads, Harley's seem to handle well.

I have always found it exiting to push a bike at 100% of it's capability while I'm at 60% of mine rather than push a bike at 60% of it's capability while I'm at 100% of mine. I have only ever lost one street race to a Japanese bike. He chased me for 15 miles, I had it pinned at 135mph I knew he would get me, but I knew he would never forget it. He passed me as we were about to enter a big sweeper I knew I couldn't take. I shut it down and watched him tankslap all the way through it.


I was cruising the down the highway one night and thought to myself, "What is it about these bikes that has kept me on them for so long?" Then it came to me. The motor pulses at a similar rate to my heartbeat. Now there's an add slogan that Harley has overlooked. No other V twin has that same offset firing and that's what I beleive has so many people enamored with the Harley. Like the old sales pitch. Until you've ridden a Harley Davidson, you haven't ridden a motorcycle. They're not everyone's cup of tea, and I wouldn't expect them to be.

As for dressing like a pirate, I always thought dressing like like a cowboy would look cooler.

I guess it feels all warm and fuzzy to wax poetic publicly about your stuff. I've always found it to be quite bad form actually. The exact opposite of modest. Then to pull out of the hat a clear mistruth [perhaps wishfull thinking] about your machine's performance potential,,,as if anyone's going to 'buy' it. Unless you have significant modifications to your machine, I find it highly unlikely that 135mph is possible. Even thrown out of a plane at 10,000 ft.
I'm glad you like your machine. Keep it, ride it, enjoy it. Love it. However, don't ever enter into bragging about it's performance potential. There are machines available at 1/4 the cost that will absolutely destroy the dynamic capabilities of your machine.


Steve
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014