User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2012, 04:52 AM   #1
huskygirl OP
HuskyGirl

Oddometer: 174
Tassie Leg of the Cancer Ride

After 4 years of circulating mainland Australia it was time the Motorcycling against Cancer Spanner did a lap of Tasmania to raise some funds for the Cancer Council and to help raise the general awareness of how this insidious disease can impact on everyone’s lives.

Jacq (HuskyGirl) and I never miss an opportunity to visit Tasmania so were keen to be part of the inaugural Tassie leg. I asked a Tasmanian mate Wicksy (aka Pajero Pete) if he could rough out a mainly dirt lap for us. Steve Foster (Fossilator), Chair of the Cancer Council Tasmania then came on board and suggested I contact Brian Hughes (DirtisGood) to see if we could organise some of the locals to join in and then, as they say in the classics, the rest was history…….

We got off the boat at 6:30 am on Saturday 17th of March to be greeted by Wicksy and his mighty Strom and shortly thereafter by Fossillator who took us to breakfast at his local coffee shop in Devonport before we headed off to meet DirtisGood at his work (Shearwater Motorcycles) where we ogled all the Italian and Japanese exotica.

From Shearwater we headed back through Devonport to Turner’s Beach to Wayne’s place where we would be staying the night and dumped our gear before heading up into the hills behind Ulverstone. After riding some magnificent Tassie “C” roads (no Nanny State road signs here – ride the corners after blind crests like you find them) we stopped at Leven Canyon Reserve for a break. After that we headed off in a North Westerly direction along Loongana Road for quite some distance before finding our way blocked by a Gunns Forestry gate. We retraced our route back to Leven Canyon Reserve then through several back roads and came out at Gunns Plains. Not only was this new country for us Victorians but it was new to Wicksy who has lived in Tassie all his life – Tassie is that kind of place!

After a very pleasant evening at Wayne’s being spoilt by fine food and wine, and Jacq (HuskyGirl) particularly by Champagne cocktails we woke early (groan) to go and meet up with the Tassie crew in Ulverstone before heading off to Scottsdale for the close of their biannual Relay for Life event. This event turned out to be truly inspirational, a community of 8,000 odd people had raised over $83,000 for the Cancer Council. As Steve Foster (Fossilator) said in his closing ceremony speech, Tasmanians generally raise $1.30 per head towards the Cancer Council each year while the mainland States are generally lucky to reach $0.80 per head per year. What was particularly humbling for us on the Cancer Ride was the community willingness to accept us into their event – even allowing us to line all the bikes up just off centre stage which was a very impressive sight indeed.

Steve Foster, Ross and Bruce Petersen (organiser and the two who completed over 3,000kms from Newcastle to Canberra to Melbourne via dirt), Adventcha and Huskygirl

So many bikes, all the pictures taken not one could fit all the bikes present in (spot the smiley face).

After the magnificent turnout of bikes at Smithton some of the Tassie contingent had to return their homes and work so thanks goes to them for making the effort to join us on the day. The remaining riders then set off to the start of the Western Explorer via Edith Creek.

Oh you beautiful ribbon of fun........

The ride through the Western Explorer was as good as the build up, amazing wild scenery and an ever changing road surface to keep us on our guard. We stopped for a late lunch at Corinna which was a good opportunity to catch up with Nazza in her soon to be new home.

Regroup Stop at Zeehan then on to Strahan

At Strahan we met with Chris (RIBTICKLER) who had ridden up to meet us from Huonville and had kindly arranged for our overnight accommodation locally in cabins.

While some of us wandered off to the pub for dinner others stayed at the campground and had their own party. A US plated GS1200 happened to go by the cabins and Brian shouted out about another bloody BMW which then promptly U-turned and Brian started looking for an escape route. Turns out this BMW was ridden by Cary from San Diego who was visiting Tasmania as part of his round Oz trip and had been just ahead of us on the Western Explorer. Cary was quickly convinced that our trip would be the opportunity of a lifetime to see parts of Tassie that might not otherwise be seen.

Moto Guzzi Stelvio meets BMW Bear

The next morning dawned as a crisp, clear Tassie Autumn day (for some) so it was off to Banjos for breakfast before heading off gingerly on the icy roads for Queenstown.

Sorry obligatory tourist shot of ducks
Back to what matters
The blast up the denuded hills out of Queenstown was the usual amount of fun with the spanner mounted Husky acquitting itself well (note report written by Adventcha UnCut who was mounted on the Husky!!!).

In between we will load the full footage, but must apologise in advance as the footage suddenly stops just next to a rolled LandRover where the following was to be heard from "mate" to filmmaker who is lent over and on his knees!!! "Don't worry mate there is no-one dead in there" Unfortunately filmmaker was not one of the crew to rise to a dawn crisp and clear.............

We carried on to Derwent Bridge and stopped for a coffee and fuel at the Wombat and said farewell to Fossilator who had to return to Devonport.

After the Bronte Park turn off Brian then lead us on the dirt route to Ouse via the Victoria Valley (sheep kicking optional). Another refuel at Ouse before setting off for the South West via the Repulse Dam

Teasers for the next update;
Link to draft youtube footage:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFPNAqn5Lz4

huskygirl screwed with this post 04-14-2012 at 06:52 PM
huskygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:51 PM   #2
GagsD2
...Are we there yet?

Oddometer: 1,354
Thumb

Great RR so far....looking forward to the next installment.

*Bucket List Note*
Must get to Tassie next year for Cancer Ride
Old 04-11-2012, 03:09 AM   #3
alexmacca30
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by GagsD2 View Post
Great RR so far....looking forward to the next installment.

*Bucket List Note*
Must get to Tassie next year for Cancer Ride
I still gotta get to Adelaide yet...
Old 04-11-2012, 07:25 AM   #4
Sundowner
Total Cahn

Oddometer: 3,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskygirl View Post

Moto Guzzi Stelvio meets BMW Bear
Why does BMW Bear look like Mark Brandon "Chopper" Read and why isn't the other bloke scared stiff?
Say 3 Hail KLRs and recite the old Honda "skid demon" warning 3 times." - CA Stu.
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:02 AM   #5
Fossilator
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Because he is Dirt is Good AKA in Tasmania as The God of all things associated with dirt! Be afraid very afraid - no track is unknown to him, he is all seeing, all riding he is Dirt is Good!
Fossilator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:19 AM   #6
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,376
wow that gs is well smoking
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:45 AM   #7
Adventcha UnCut
Wannabe

Oddometer: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
Why does BMW Bear look like Mark Brandon "Chopper" Read and why isn't the other bloke scared stiff?
The other bloke is a Guzzista and could probably hold his own against Chopper in any case - at least in a real wilderness environment
Adventcha UnCut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:33 AM   #8
DirtisGood
Guzzi Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventcha UnCut View Post
The other bloke is a Guzzista and could probably hold his own against Chopper in any case - at least in a real wilderness environment
Tuff as Hessian Underpants
Old 04-14-2012, 04:42 AM   #9
huskygirl OP
HuskyGirl

Are you ready

.............................next update on it's way....................
Old 04-14-2012, 05:41 AM   #10
DirtisGood
Guzzi Adventurer

Quote:
.............................next update on it's way....................
I am waiting!! Like a cat a the dairy waiting for the spilt milk.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:36 AM   #11
huskygirl OP
HuskyGirl

Here it comes

OK – I’m flying blind here as I’d never been on any of the roads that we travelled over on the next section and was simply following the locals who seemed to know where they were going. After crossing the Repulse Dam wall we headed west to meet the Florentine Road which we followed for a while. We then turned off and headed even further west, so much so that I thought we must hit Gordonvale or the Pedder Dam at some stage. The track names I can’t remember except for “Eleven” which must have been a reference to the speed some of the locals were travelling at (see Spinal Tap and the video link). The occasional glimpse of the western rump of Mt. Field confirmed that we weren’t as far west as I thought and eventually we popped back out on the Florentine Road

KTM Character

We then rode under the Strathgordon Road on the old railway easement and headed up into the Styx Forest.

Big Tree bottom;

Unfortunately our corner man system came unstuck here (AdventaCha's fault, he forgot his thumbs aren' that big and basically he can't see) and Clive was left waiting diligently on his corner not having seen me indicate that I was the last rider. Del & Chris went back to retrieve Clive so the rest of us had a pleasant break at the Giant Trees.

We waited and watched fungus grow

Once Clive had been returned to the fold we set off at a fairly serious pace through an amazing network of logging roads across the Snowy Range this time making sure the corner man system worked.

By the time we dropped down into the Huon Valley at Judbury it was getting quite late but fortunately we still had daylight savings on our side. The Launceston boys still had a long way to go to get home so we bid them farewell heartened by remarks that “we’ll see you next weekend”.

The rest of us headed to Chris & Josie’s place at Mountain Creek to enjoy a magnificent feast and enjoy the vistas from their eyrie behind Collins Bonnet – and to start downloading video footage and talk about the amazing ride we’d had that day.

Huskygirl & I were unexpectedly given the luxury of the first shower and a luxurious bed for the night, which was pretty outrageous; we had been given to believe that we would be camping in the South West (and had carried all the gear and food to do so). We did however miss out on experiencing Wicksy’s first motorcycle based camp so that is a work in progress.

For the next day Chris had arranged for one of his local riding mates to lead us through the maze of forestry roads in the lower Huon and (D’Encrecasteaux) Channel country.

It turned out Doug is a 72-year-old English gent who loves bikes, particularly his Beemers (if only we can all be able to ride at this point). Doug is on his 2nd GS800 in as many years having covered over 50,000 km exclusively in Tasmania (mostly on dirt). Doug led us out to the South West again from Huonville through a network of forestry tracks and we eventually came out near the Tahune Tree Walk.

Prize for guessing who the 72 year old is…

We have no photo of Doug’s actual features… The Enigma

HuskyGirl had reclaimed the “HARD BIKE” at this stage and was having a ball on the twisty bitumen before we turned to the dirt again up the road to Hartz Mountain.

HuskyGirl been chased by Adventcha UnCut on the “soft” bike (no asphalt picture they were going too quick, with Adventcha doing the twisties with his butt hanging off the soft bike)

From the Hartz Mountain Road Doug led us further south on a network of tracks before we came to a lookout on Coal Hill (Denny’s Lookout)

from which we could see the southern end of Bruny Island and the whole Far South Eastern coastline of Tasmania and where you can find BMW bears masquerading as KTM riders masquerading as Husky riders.

After Coal Hill we plunged down through a delightful ferny track and eventually came to the Hastings Caves Resort where everyone enjoyed a ham & cheese toasties for lunch.

At lunch we had to make a decision – to continue on forestry roads back to Huonville or to take the spanner as far south as you can go by road in Australia. We elected to do the daggy thing as we’d done some pretty amazing tracks over the previous couple of days and as it was such a nice day, the photos at the “Whale” with the spanner would be worth it.

and then Baton Spanner found his big sister Silver

Having got to one of Southern tips of Tasmania 5 of us now needed to get to the other on the Eastern Side (refer to “Map of Tasmania” and no, Camel Toes are not acknowledged by the natives although MONA may be slowly changing that).
We bid farewell to Doug at Huonville and then to Chris after loading the bikes back up again at Mountain Creek.

Wicksy, Brian, MonoMark, HuskyGirl & I were off to Wicksy’s “ManCave” at White Beach for the next couple of days however the timing of our trip through Hobart was less than ideal as we hit “peak hour”. HuskyGirl & I were laughing at how stress free it all was compared to our normal daily commute/routine but Brian was less than impressed when the fully laden Guzzi was nearly blown over by a gust of wind in Macquarie Street.

Stopping at Sorell for supplies after crossing Pittwater Brian was told by the local butcher that our ride had received coverage on the local radio. From Sorell I reckon we had the scariest ride of the whole trip, chasing a pair of litre+ bikes around the Tasman Peninsula on dusk with all those suicidal marsupials lurking in the shadows. Fortunately the critters stayed where they should and we arrived at the Man Cave safely, with a nice fire already started and the tent pad mown by Tony (digital media guru). A rather long night ensued with all the troubles of the world discussed, and all the thorny issues of suspension set-up and mono-theism dealt with so that the next morning the crew were ready to jump into some long overdue bike maintenance.

Next instalment teasers;

huskygirl screwed with this post 04-14-2012 at 07:20 PM
Old 04-14-2012, 07:19 AM   #12
huskygirl OP
HuskyGirl

Farrrrkkk we are only up to Tuesday

running Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday

What have I done

I'm burning Police on my back...........

running down a one way track..........
Old 04-14-2012, 05:08 PM   #13
DirtisGood
Guzzi Adventurer

Cancer Ride

Unreal Adventcha Uncut & Husky Girl,
Brings back good memories, can't wait for the next instalment.
I think we will always remember this trip forever.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:58 PM   #14
huskygirl OP
HuskyGirl

More photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtisGood View Post
Unreal Adventcha Uncut & Husky Girl,
Brings back good memories, can't wait for the next instalment.
I think we will always remember this trip forever.
No problems. I'm adding some more pics as I was having a bit of a problem last night with my Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V and the images were replicating.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:09 AM   #15
DirtisGood
Guzzi Adventurer

Quote:
No problems. I'm adding some more pics as I was having a bit of a problem last night with my Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V and the images were replicating.
I will keep checking for the updates