Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2013, 01:40 PM   #166
SeaBass
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,020
About 23 years ago I learned that if you raised your visor while you are slowing down for an Inspection sticker check road block, the Suffolk County Highway Patrol can decide to give you a ticket for "Riding without eye protection". I dont know if being a 22 year old on a V-Max with Supertrapp slip ons contributed.....
SeaBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:13 PM   #167
GerryM
On the road again

Oddometer: 14
Car story now. We had picked up our new puppy earlier that month. Jess was just about 12 weeks old at that point and getting into everything. I get a call at work from my daughter saying "she's pucking blue". Hustle my buns home and find a 2 foot square hole in the living room carpet so one mystery solved. Although she was a border collie and sheep were integral to her makeup, I was fairly certain that she was supposed to herd wool things and not eat them. A trip to the vet seemed prudent so the wife, daughter and I pile into the car with our little bundle of joy.

Heading east along Eastern Avenue (Toronto) to get to the vet on King Street. There is an overpass that crosses over the DVP and Don River and at the bottom the speed limit drops from a 50kph to 40kph (about 30 to 24 mph) or some such foolishness. I don't know how fast I was going and did not see the police car. Turn right onto a side street and park to find a gendarme at my window asking for license, registration and proof of insurance. Jess is still hawking wool balls in the car so I said hold on a second and tell my wife I will meet them all at the Vet. Apparently I was 20 kph over the limit but he was going to cut me a break and just mark it as 5 over so I wouldn`t lose any points.

Sometimes stuff just happens.
GerryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:33 PM   #168
Badjuju
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
DISCLAIMER: I have lifted this verbatim and am quoting this from another forum I belong to, so I have artfully removed all names from the text to avoid incriminating the innocent. I've only ridden with this fella--the author--a couple of times and he is as much of a 'wag' in person as he is with a pen...ummm, keyboard.

Last Tuesday, 'Larry' (BMW R1100RSL), 'Curly' (Ducati ST2), and 'Mo' (Triumph Trophy) where zipping across Pennsylvania on the first leg of our Northeast Tour. We pushed East on I-70, making fairly long strides in relatively short time. We took I-99 North to cut across the State. PA Super Slabs leave plenty of time for your mind to wander, so I did some daydreaming and wrote a short story.

STAR WARS: Kessel Run Boarding

The Millennium Falcon, Slave-1, and a Y-Wing Starfighter were making the Pennsylvania... errr, I mean the Kessel Run. Now I'm sure many have looked upon the Millennium Falcon and have only seen a piece of junk. She may not look like much, but I assure you she's still got it where it counts.

The three ships were making a run through this section of space where the Galactic Empire has imposed a 0.55-parsec/min limit. Many freighters were running over 0.7-parsec/min without attracting much attention from the Empire Fleet, but these three ships were travelling somewhere between 0.9 and 1-parsec/min. As they approached and passed a group of starship freighters, the Millennium Falcon and Slave-1 overtook an unmarked Galactic Empire Star Cruiser. Slave-1 has the sensors to detect these cruisers, but this particular cruiser was running in silent mode and looked very much like the other freighters. The Y-Wing was hanging back and noticed the Star Cruiser taking notice of the lead ships.

The Star Cruiser broke out of the freighter formation, and matched the 1-parsec/min speed of Slave-1. The Millennium Falcon was completely unaware of the events taking place and continued to accelerate through an upward gravitational pull, well above 1.1-parsec/min. After breaking away from the increased gravitational pull and observing a vast open space in front of the ship void of any asteroid fields, the Millennium Falcon made the jump to Hyperspace. The original instrumentation on the Millennium Falcon was displaying 1.43-parsec/min, but the Garminian Interstellar travel computer logged an accurate 1.3-parsec/min pass.

The amount of distance that the Millennium Falcon can transverse at 1.3-parsec/min is somewhat difficult to comprehend, but unknown to the Millennium Falcon (but witnessed by Slave-1 and the Y-Wing), the Star Cruiser had made the jump to Hyperspace as well and was trying to cover those vast distances in the shortest amount of time too. Even though the Millennium Falcon was transporting a fair amount of cargo, it was doing quite well at 1.3-parsec/min and probably would have gone even further. Far far away however, a larger freighter made a navigational change that intersected the flight path of the Millennium Falcon. Far far away comes incredibly quick at 1.3-parsec/min. The Millennium Falcon made a very slight course correction in an attempt to avoid a horrific Interstellar Collision. The freighter, now aware of this impending disaster, changed course yet again. The Millennium Falcon corrected once again trying to get back on the original course, but with the heavy cargo, was simply travelling way WAY beyond any speed considered remotely safe for any time space, and found itself in an IDW (Interstellar Death Wobble). Somehow, the Millennium Falcon was able to recover and dropped back down somewhere around 1.1-parsec/min without any Interstellar Collision, and stayed there for several minutes. Maybe the Force was with the Millennium Falcon. It's hard to say.

Knowing that Slave-1 and the Y-Wing would need time to catch up, the Millennium Falcon dropped out of Hyperspace and settled in at an easy 0.85-parsec/min. That’s when the Millennium Falcon noticed a strange ghostly freighter shadowing several ship-lengths off the port side. That is an incredibly strange sight, because NO freighter should be anywhere near the Millennium Falcon that soon after dropping out of Hyperspace. Yet, there it was. The freighter then turned on the red/blue laser notification beacons. The freighter wasn't a freighter at all, but a Star Cruiser from the Galactic Empire. Even the Millennium Falcon gets boarded occasionally. But at 0.75-parsecs OVER the Galactic Empire enforced limit, surely the Millennium Falcon would be taken to the Death Star and shoved into a garbage compactor. It wasn't.

There is more to this story, some interesting dialog with the Star Cruiser commander, how the group was able to reconnect, etc etc. ....but ya know what? ...it's all just Science-Fiction and no one is going to believe it anyway.

Seriously. I thought I was going to jail. I mean, I really really thought I was gonna be hauled away. When I pulled over onto the emergency lane, I kept my hands visible the entire time when taking off my gloves, slowly removed my helmet, again keeping my hands visible. When the officer stepped out of the car, I kinda expected him to be all jacked up and ready to take me down, but he was actually quite calm and friendly. I asked for permission to step off. He said, "What?". I said, "May I step off the bike, sir?". He said, "Oh.. uhh.. yeah, sure.". When I stepped off, I turned to face him and immediately handed him my license. He never asked for it, nor did he once ask me if I knew why he pulled me over. You know that Nevada Police Officer that pulled over Burt Monro in the World's Fastest Indian? That was the dude. I swear. He looked it over and after a long pause (or what seemed to be a long pause... I may have been still recovering from a spacetime distortion), he said, "Ya know... I paced your buddies at 95-100." and went on to explain that he HAD to pull me over because the other drivers knew he was there, saw me go by at a high rate of speed, and it was expected of him.

That was my first indication that I might not be going to jail. It was the tone of his voice and a slight hint of sympathy for my situation. Odd, huh? I don't remember his exact words, but he continued to make observations beginning with my age (no hair on top, obvious gray facial hair, etc), my attire (full gear), my 'experience' (which I interpreted again, as age), and in so many terms... I wasn't a young pup looking for trouble. I sat on the guard rail while he walked around the bike several times and continued to examine my license. Strangely enough, I was not really upset. I think I had already come to grips that I was in BIG trouble but I was just honestly glad to be alive. He said, "So... these things really scoot, huh?" to which I replied, "Unfortunately sir, it would appear that you have already observed that for yourself.". He asked if the 'M' was a motorcycle endorsement in Ohio. He asked where we were coming from. He asked where we were going. All of my answers were short and precise. I was not saying anything that I did not need to. He then made mention, that he was a "Biker too", that he understood, and that he would be letting US off with a warning. He was taking up a lot of time. It was obvious to me at that point, that he wanted as many people as possible to see me with him on the side of the road, with lights flashing.

I continued to call him sir and I told him how much I appreciated it. It was about that time that 'Larry' and 'Curly' rode by (man, that seemed to take forever). He asked if those were Triumphs too. I told him no... BMW and Ducati. He told me to slow it down, that I was now entering into a college area.

I thanked him once again and was on my way. I pulled off at the next two exits looking for my accomplices. They were nowhere to be found. I went another exit down, stopped, and sent them a text message asking if they were going to come bail me out of jail. I don't think they found the humor in it. They were a couple exits back, hiding around a corner.

I wish I would have got his name. I'd like to send that guy a Christmas Card.

.75-parsecs over. Yeah, I know... he didn't officially know. But... he knew.
Some people will tell you that slow is good, and it may be on some days, but I am here to tell you that fast is better... Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba.... Hunter S Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature
Badjuju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:02 PM   #169
matkal
Assault Commuter

Oddometer: 1,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badjuju View Post
DISCLAIMER: I have lifted this verbatim and am quoting this from another forum I belong to, so I have artfully removed all names from the text to avoid incriminating the innocent. I've only ridden with this fella--the author--a couple of times and he is as much of a 'wag' in person as he is with a pen...ummm, keyboard.

Last Tuesday, 'Larry' (BMW R1100RSL), 'Curly' (Ducati ST2), and 'Mo' (Triumph Trophy) where zipping across Pennsylvania on the first leg of our Northeast Tour. We pushed East on I-70, making fairly long strides in relatively short time. We took I-99 North to cut across the State. PA Super Slabs leave plenty of time for your mind to wander, so I did some daydreaming and wrote a short story.

STAR WARS: Kessel Run Boarding

The Millennium Falcon, Slave-1, and a Y-Wing Starfighter were making the Pennsylvania... errr, I mean the Kessel Run. Now I'm sure many have looked upon the Millennium Falcon and have only seen a piece of junk. She may not look like much, but I assure you she's still got it where it counts.

The three ships were making a run through this section of space where the Galactic Empire has imposed a 0.55-parsec/min limit. Many freighters were running over 0.7-parsec/min without attracting much attention from the Empire Fleet, but these three ships were travelling somewhere between 0.9 and 1-parsec/min. As they approached and passed a group of starship freighters, the Millennium Falcon and Slave-1 overtook an unmarked Galactic Empire Star Cruiser. Slave-1 has the sensors to detect these cruisers, but this particular cruiser was running in silent mode and looked very much like the other freighters. The Y-Wing was hanging back and noticed the Star Cruiser taking notice of the lead ships.

The Star Cruiser broke out of the freighter formation, and matched the 1-parsec/min speed of Slave-1. The Millennium Falcon was completely unaware of the events taking place and continued to accelerate through an upward gravitational pull, well above 1.1-parsec/min. After breaking away from the increased gravitational pull and observing a vast open space in front of the ship void of any asteroid fields, the Millennium Falcon made the jump to Hyperspace. The original instrumentation on the Millennium Falcon was displaying 1.43-parsec/min, but the Garminian Interstellar travel computer logged an accurate 1.3-parsec/min pass.

The amount of distance that the Millennium Falcon can transverse at 1.3-parsec/min is somewhat difficult to comprehend, but unknown to the Millennium Falcon (but witnessed by Slave-1 and the Y-Wing), the Star Cruiser had made the jump to Hyperspace as well and was trying to cover those vast distances in the shortest amount of time too. Even though the Millennium Falcon was transporting a fair amount of cargo, it was doing quite well at 1.3-parsec/min and probably would have gone even further. Far far away however, a larger freighter made a navigational change that intersected the flight path of the Millennium Falcon. Far far away comes incredibly quick at 1.3-parsec/min. The Millennium Falcon made a very slight course correction in an attempt to avoid a horrific Interstellar Collision. The freighter, now aware of this impending disaster, changed course yet again. The Millennium Falcon corrected once again trying to get back on the original course, but with the heavy cargo, was simply travelling way WAY beyond any speed considered remotely safe for any time space, and found itself in an IDW (Interstellar Death Wobble). Somehow, the Millennium Falcon was able to recover and dropped back down somewhere around 1.1-parsec/min without any Interstellar Collision, and stayed there for several minutes. Maybe the Force was with the Millennium Falcon. It's hard to say.

Knowing that Slave-1 and the Y-Wing would need time to catch up, the Millennium Falcon dropped out of Hyperspace and settled in at an easy 0.85-parsec/min. That’s when the Millennium Falcon noticed a strange ghostly freighter shadowing several ship-lengths off the port side. That is an incredibly strange sight, because NO freighter should be anywhere near the Millennium Falcon that soon after dropping out of Hyperspace. Yet, there it was. The freighter then turned on the red/blue laser notification beacons. The freighter wasn't a freighter at all, but a Star Cruiser from the Galactic Empire. Even the Millennium Falcon gets boarded occasionally. But at 0.75-parsecs OVER the Galactic Empire enforced limit, surely the Millennium Falcon would be taken to the Death Star and shoved into a garbage compactor. It wasn't.

There is more to this story, some interesting dialog with the Star Cruiser commander, how the group was able to reconnect, etc etc. ....but ya know what? ...it's all just Science-Fiction and no one is going to believe it anyway.

Seriously. I thought I was going to jail. I mean, I really really thought I was gonna be hauled away. When I pulled over onto the emergency lane, I kept my hands visible the entire time when taking off my gloves, slowly removed my helmet, again keeping my hands visible. When the officer stepped out of the car, I kinda expected him to be all jacked up and ready to take me down, but he was actually quite calm and friendly. I asked for permission to step off. He said, "What?". I said, "May I step off the bike, sir?". He said, "Oh.. uhh.. yeah, sure.". When I stepped off, I turned to face him and immediately handed him my license. He never asked for it, nor did he once ask me if I knew why he pulled me over. You know that Nevada Police Officer that pulled over Burt Monro in the World's Fastest Indian? That was the dude. I swear. He looked it over and after a long pause (or what seemed to be a long pause... I may have been still recovering from a spacetime distortion), he said, "Ya know... I paced your buddies at 95-100." and went on to explain that he HAD to pull me over because the other drivers knew he was there, saw me go by at a high rate of speed, and it was expected of him.

That was my first indication that I might not be going to jail. It was the tone of his voice and a slight hint of sympathy for my situation. Odd, huh? I don't remember his exact words, but he continued to make observations beginning with my age (no hair on top, obvious gray facial hair, etc), my attire (full gear), my 'experience' (which I interpreted again, as age), and in so many terms... I wasn't a young pup looking for trouble. I sat on the guard rail while he walked around the bike several times and continued to examine my license. Strangely enough, I was not really upset. I think I had already come to grips that I was in BIG trouble but I was just honestly glad to be alive. He said, "So... these things really scoot, huh?" to which I replied, "Unfortunately sir, it would appear that you have already observed that for yourself.". He asked if the 'M' was a motorcycle endorsement in Ohio. He asked where we were coming from. He asked where we were going. All of my answers were short and precise. I was not saying anything that I did not need to. He then made mention, that he was a "Biker too", that he understood, and that he would be letting US off with a warning. He was taking up a lot of time. It was obvious to me at that point, that he wanted as many people as possible to see me with him on the side of the road, with lights flashing.

I continued to call him sir and I told him how much I appreciated it. It was about that time that 'Larry' and 'Curly' rode by (man, that seemed to take forever). He asked if those were Triumphs too. I told him no... BMW and Ducati. He told me to slow it down, that I was now entering into a college area.

I thanked him once again and was on my way. I pulled off at the next two exits looking for my accomplices. They were nowhere to be found. I went another exit down, stopped, and sent them a text message asking if they were going to come bail me out of jail. I don't think they found the humor in it. They were a couple exits back, hiding around a corner.

I wish I would have got his name. I'd like to send that guy a Christmas Card.

.75-parsecs over. Yeah, I know... he didn't officially know. But... he knew.

And we have a winner!!
(sorry to have quoted the whole thing)

Helmet laws suck. They interfere with natural selection.

ATGATT 35:12-14
"And Atgatt courted Motgatt, and took her for a wife.
And lo, he compromised with Atgmott, and verily she conceived,
and did bear a son, Notgatt. And Notgatt roamed naked,
and did bequeath his skin to the roads. And he was a wild ass and an outcast,
and was hated through all the land. And his forehead was branded, and he did be
come a sign and a warning to all the people."
matkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:19 PM   #170
Jacl-Kampuchea
Booze Merchant

Oddometer: 670
About 13 years ago when I still lived in Ireland:

I worked for a VW/Audi dealership from 9-6. My rented house was perhaps five minutes away by bike - but due to the fact that the town bypass was not finished those four miles, at that hour, could take an hour stuck in a tailback if you drove a car.

I took my small bike - a suzuki RGR80 - 2 Stroke and filtered traffic as usual for 80% of the drive to work when I came to a set of traffic lights and heard "what do you think you are?". Turning around I saw Ireland's finest pissed off at sitting in traffic, no doubt and responded "I'm filtering traffic - that's legal - what's the problem?"

They came back with " you were traveling too fast, that's dangerous" to which I replied "I was doing 15mph and the limit is 30mph, how is that too fast?"

At which point they flagged me over and spent 30 MINUTES looking for something to give me ticket for and eventually ticketed me for failure to display a road tax disc, despite me arguing that, where I parked the bike, if there were a tax disc displayed it would be stolen the same day. . .

I carried on to work, was chewed out by the Boss for being late - But when I said I was late because of the police I was snapped at and told "Your own fault for driving too fast" to which I said " No, I wasn't" and told them why I was stopped - which they found ridiculous - and the boss phoned hos police golf buddies and had my BS ticket squashed
Old 03-02-2013, 04:17 PM   #171
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,006
I've been stopped a few times, and a couple of tickets in my very early days. Nothing since.

What really annoys me is the comment "Do you know how fast I had to go to catch you?"

I want to answer "It could have been 30 kph or 500 mph, the only difference is HOW LONG it would take you to do it"
Old 03-18-2013, 07:17 PM   #172
Flyinace1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 344
I have this theory that in So Cal one can stay about 5mph over the speed limit and not get pulled over (most go 10+ over on the freeway here). So the 1st and only time I have ever been pulled over was for speeding...kinda. I was on my bike coming down from Mt. Baldy after a nice sunday afternoon picnic with my girlfriend (she was riding pillion).
On the way down we noticed there was quite a bit of law enforcement activity,we passed 2 or 3 people pulled over and at least 1 cop going up the mountain, so I'm taking it nice and easy, sticking to the speed limit. Just below the village a cop in an SUV turns on his sirens and I pull off into a turn off. The turn off already had another car pulled over, luckily it was a big one .
Once stopped I turned off the bike and left my hands on the grips, neither my girl or I tried to dismount or do anything but sit there. The cop walked up told me I was pulled over for speeding and then asked if I'd have anything to drink.
I told him "no, sir"
He then asked me the same thing with slightly different wording to which I gave the same answer. He then told me that he was a federal agent, and lying to him was a federal offense and that he has tests in his vehicle that will reveal the truth, and he keeps going on and on and on and on and on and on...got the point yet. He seemed like he was trying really hard to be intimidating but he was failing.
I just sat there waiting for him to finish but after a while my patience started to run thin, and I've got a lot, so I finally cut him off and told him "I have never had a drink in my life". (not a lie and still true)
He looked stunned for a moment before regaining his composure. He moved on to the next question, which happened to be drugs. My answer "No sir"
The next question was also about doing drugs, to which I answered "no sir" again.
He then asked if I had any drugs on the bike. By this point it was getting ridiculous. My answer was the same as all the previous ones.
I'm a young dude riding a 90's Honda Magna that doesn't look pretty at all, wearing ATGATT & so is my girl, and did I mention I'm a geek? I don't exactly look like a druggie, drunk, dealer, etc. and I wasn't riding like I was drunk or with anything else in my system. I realize not everyone who is looks the part but nothing like this has ever happened to me before.
Next question was, "Do you have a license for this thing?"
My response was finally a "Yes sir, would you like to see it?"
He looked stunned for a moment before regaining his composure, and then said yes and I handed him my license.
Then he asked if I had registration for it, and once again I said "Yes sir, would you like to see it?"
He looked stunned for a moment before regaining his composure, he was doing that a lot. I swear he wasn't expecting me to be so nice and have no dirt. He said yes, he'd like to see the registration.
I asked for permission to dismount so I could get the registration from under my seat.
Guess what? He looked stunned again before regaining his composure and saying yes.
When I gave it to him he went back to his SUV and then brought it back to me. Before letting me go he warmed/threatened "If I ever went speeding thru "his" town again he'd bust my butt". He was so obviously trying to be intimidating and I could hardly keep from laughing.
Somewhere in there he had implied, once, that I had picked up speed exiting Baldy Village before I was out of the school zone, but never actually said it or told me how fast I was going. He mentioned speeding a total of 3 times throughout the entire time.

2005 Yamaha FZ6 (the faster blue )
1995 Honda Magna VF750C (sold)
Flyinace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:39 PM   #173
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,504
Speeding 200 bucks. DWI DUI etc, 2000 minimum.

you are no profitable.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:56 PM   #174
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtoplvr View Post

you are no profitable.

Rod
Ha, in CA they are running an ad campaign... $16k for first time over 21 and I think it was $22k for under! That there is some serious profit.
1975 R90/6
Follow me here
trc.rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:26 PM   #175
Flyinace1
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtoplvr View Post

you are no profitable.

Rod
Lol, just more reason not to . I pay my taxes and thats all I feel like giving to the government for them to waste.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:56 PM   #176
CurbTiger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Two things I've learned;
Don't be tail-end Charlie, ever, especially on a downhill grade into a Federal Law area(Bonneville Dam on SR14). Officer was reasonable enough, even though I had no turn signals on the flat black FZ600. Guess I was still buzzed up from blasting down Wind River Road from Cougar.

A late evening ride home on Marine Drive, a Federal area again, next to KPDX. Was doing 70mph in a 45 zone on the CB450. Bike only has a tach and I wasn't paying attention, JRA. Got lit up by airport security. All papers in order, sir. Officer looked over the bike, complimented me on the bike, told me rode as well and watch what yer doin'. That was potentially a $500+ ticket...

I guess three things. A nice '67 VW Bus gets pulled over way more than a shitty '82 Volvo wagon with three different colored body panels. So transport your weed in the Volvo whilst wearing a light blue oxford shirt, smartly coiffed hair and baby seat in the back!

NE
CurbTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:14 AM   #177
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinace1 View Post
He then told me that he was a federal agent, and lying to him was a federal offense

Its sad that lying to a cop is against the law but when they do it, its OK.

He seemed like he was trying really hard to be intimidating but he was failing.

They all do that and unfortunately, usually succeed.

He looked stunned for a moment before regaining his composure.
He looked stunned for a moment before regaining his composure,
He looked stunned for a moment before regaining his composure,
Guess what? He looked stunned again before regaining his composure and saying yes.

With all those stunned looks you should have asked him if he had been drinking or had been doing any drugs.
Sounds like he/they were on a little phishing trip.
I like how no matter what you get pulled for, at least around here, they always ask those same questions and for permission to search the vehicle.

Assumed guilty before proving your innocence.

When I gave it to him he went back to his SUV and then brought it back to me. Before letting me go he warmed/threatened "If I ever went speeding thru "his" town again he'd bust my butt". He was so obviously trying to be intimidating and I could hardly keep from laughing.
Somewhere in there he had implied, once, that I had picked up speed exiting Baldy Village before I was out of the school zone, but never actually said it or told me how fast I was going. He mentioned speeding a total of 3 times throughout the entire time.
Years ago a buddy of mine got off being written up for speeding at the edge of town. His reasoning to the cop...if you have to be at 35 mph when reaching the speed zone sign while entering town limits you should be able to be going 55 mph when reaching the end of speed zone sign while leaving town limits.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:05 AM   #178
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer: 5,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinace1 View Post
I have this theory that in So Cal one can stay about 5mph over the speed limit and not get pulled over (most go 10+ over on the freeway here). So the 1st and only time I have ever been pulled over was for speeding...kinda. I was on my bike coming down from Mt. Baldy after a nice sunday afternoon picnic with my girlfriend (she was riding pillion).
On the way down we noticed there was quite a bit of law enforcement activity,we passed 2 or 3 people pulled over and at least 1 cop going up the mountain, so I'm taking it nice and easy, sticking to the speed limit. Just below the village a cop in an SUV turns on his sirens and I pull off into a turn off. The turn off already had another car pulled over, luckily it was a big one .
Once stopped I turned off the bike and left my hands on the grips, neither my girl or I tried to dismount or do anything but sit there. The cop walked up told me I was pulled over for speeding and then asked if I'd have anything to drink.
I told him "no, sir"
He then asked me the same thing with slightly different wording to which I gave the same answer. He then told me that he was a federal agent, and lying to him was a federal offense and that he has tests in his vehicle that will reveal the truth, and he keeps going on and on and on and on and on and on...got the point yet. He seemed like he was trying really hard to be intimidating but he was failing.
I just sat there waiting for him to finish but after a while my patience started to run thin, and I've got a lot, so I finally cut him off and told him "I have never had a drink in my life". (not a lie and still true)
He looked stunned for a moment before regaining his composure. He moved on to the next question, which happened to be drugs. My answer "No sir"
The next question was also about doing drugs, to which I answered "no sir" again.
He then asked if I had any drugs on the bike. By this point it was getting ridiculous. My answer was the same as all the previous ones.
I'm a young dude riding a 90's Honda Magna that doesn't look pretty at all, wearing ATGATT & so is my girl, and did I mention I'm a geek? I don't exactly look like a druggie, drunk, dealer, etc. and I wasn't riding like I was drunk or with anything else in my system. I realize not everyone who is looks the part but nothing like this has ever happened to me before.
Next question was, "Do you have a license for this thing?"
My response was finally a "Yes sir, would you like to see it?"
He looked stunned for a moment before regaining his composure, and then said yes and I handed him my license.
Then he asked if I had registration for it, and once again I said "Yes sir, would you like to see it?"
He looked stunned for a moment before regaining his composure, he was doing that a lot. I swear he wasn't expecting me to be so nice and have no dirt. He said yes, he'd like to see the registration.
I asked for permission to dismount so I could get the registration from under my seat.
The minute he claimed to be a federal agent, I'd have asked to see his credentials. Impersonating a federal agent is ALSO a felony.

That was harassment, plain and simple. Barney Fife at his finest.
"The problem with Socialism is that you eventually run out of other people's money" _____ Margaret Thatcher
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:25 AM   #179
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
The minute he claimed to be a federal agent, I'd have asked to see his credentials. Impersonating a federal agent is ALSO a felony.

IF he was park police, and there are a lot of them on what would appear to be public roads, he very well could be a federal officer.

Jim

PS Yeah, he was being a dick!
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:38 AM   #180
Flyinace1
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post

I'll remember to ask for those if I ever have the misfortune of dealing with one again