Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2012, 03:13 AM   #46
TobyG
be happy :)

Oddometer: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck View Post
I was in college at the Univ of Wash at the time. I decided I had to get something in the ten minutes between classes so I had to ride off campus to the bookstore and get back on campus in very little time and I was in full boogy mode.

One thing you learn riding a scoot (that wouldn't go more than 28mph if you dropped it out of an airplane) is that you never want to slow down because it takes forever to get any speed back. So I pretty much rode around with the throttle pinned most of the time and made my way through traffic as best I could without lanesplitting 'cuz I'd get a ticket for that.

Anyhow, it was raining so the streets were a little slick but that didn't slow me down at all. I scooted a left through a yellow and ripped (as much as I could on a scoot) down the hill, took a right and then turned into the bookstore parking lot. After I got it on the center stand I looked back up the hill and I saw the cop with his blues going about a block away. I thought to myself he can't be coming after me but waited next to my scoot just in case 'cuz if he was after me I didn't want to it look like I was fleeing. Sure enough he comes down the hill, makes a right, turns into the parking lot and comes zooming over to me, putting his bike across the back of the parking spot - so I couldn't get back on my scoot and flee I guess.

I had no idea how long he'd been trying to catch me but he sure wasn't happy about it. I think he was embarrassed a little too that it took him so long to catch a scoot.

Hilarious. And it got me a new signature line

Cant really contribute though, as I never got a ticket....

TobyG screwed with this post 04-15-2012 at 03:52 AM
TobyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:50 AM   #47
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
I have gotten a lot of tickets, mostly in the past.
i didnt know there was any other way of getting em!?
Old 04-15-2012, 06:51 AM   #48
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,482
How about a six point reckless driving ticket for wheelying an XT200 in the dirt parking lot at my uncle's office? What I learned from that is a small town cop in a bad mood sucks. But even the psycho traffic court judge we had back then wasn't buying that one and I got out of it just for showing up.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:12 AM   #49
BRPtourer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by univibe88 View Post
On a motorcycle?
In some jurisdictions, particularly small ones, if a local officer pulls you over they are pretty much required to issue a citation. Often a cell phone or seatbelt violation is the cheapest one on the books, and they are cutting you a break.
I drove a coal bucket dump truck in PA for a couple years and got pulled over several times, mostly for speeding down a hill, and was polite and respectful toward the officer. Usually drove away with a "missing mud flap" ticket which was the cheapest, none moving violation he could write for a big truck. I suspect a seat belt ticket is the same thing although it sounds funny to get one on a motorcycle.
I got written for a dirty/ obstructed license plate on my XL600r, which was nice and clean, when I actually (kinda) failed to stop at a red light before turning right. The cop was almost apologetic about stopping me but as there were so many people that saw me do it, and he couldn't have missed it, he had to stop me.
Another time he (same cop) wrote me for a broken turn signal when he stopped me for speeding. He said "the speed limit on this street is 35, please do not drive 50 when there is a deputy directly behind you".
BRPtourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:04 AM   #50
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRPtourer View Post
He said "the speed limit on this street is 35, please do not drive 50 when there is a deputy directly behind you".
That seems like a fair request.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:54 PM   #51
sectrew
n00b

Oddometer: 5
I got pulled over for 86mph on HWY 101 in Northern California. I didn't have a working speedo on my bike at the time. I stopped before he had even turned around as I was the only other person on the road. I figured this might help my situation.

It didn't. I got written up for 86 mph and that is the exact speed at which you get bumped into the next fine zone. That one cost me $468 just to avoid a point. Sucks because I didn't even make him work for it and I was respectful. He told me I must not be as good a rider as I thought I was, I never claimed to be great. Cop was a dick and i have a feeling he just hates motorcycles.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:00 AM   #52
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 2,948
What I learned? Watch the biggest pansy power abuser in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv6Mzcs8Vuw

Get pulled over by him about a year after that video above. Wasn't coerced into his wack job accusations of trying to run on a scooter so he writes me 5 citations and has another officer pull up on the scene later assume responsibility for the "catch" and take me to jail.

I went to court with my evidence and Henderson was left holding the bag. I paid nothing and still have my clean record. Seekatz gave the other officer responsibility for the stop and did not show in court.

I do have a strong dislike for the police now. Like big corporations, the "Law" is very well protected even when they are wrong.
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:42 PM   #53
WoundedKnee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
[QUOTE=sectrew;18466561... I got written up for 86 mph and that is the exact speed at which you get bumped into the next fine zone. [/QUOTE]

Back home in the UK my brother was pulled over (in his car) doing 120mph+ on the motorway, with a 70mph limit. In the UK 30mph or more over the limit is an automatic license suspension for six months. Or used to be at the time. The cop's words were basically : "Let's just call this 95".
Old 04-16-2012, 12:50 PM   #54
JJJZJ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Couple things I have learned....

On my first long distance trip to Door County, WI from Chicago on my KLR, I got pulled over after my load shifted on the back and blocked my taillight at night. Cop was nice and no ticket was issued. Now I always check my loads periodically while travelling.

Couple weeks back I was flying down I-80 on the F800 where Parleys Canyon meets the SL valley at 80/85 in a 65 and saw a motorcycle parked on the shoulder up in the distance. I was trying to size up if the bike was out of gas or broken down in case I could offer some help. By the the time I realized it was a UHP cop running radar, it was too late. All I could do was wave as I went past and he gave me a slow down motion with his arm. I appreciated that very much.

My friends and I were on a moto trip in NC and decided to ride my friends pickup truck in lawn chairs for a trip to the beach. We didnt know if it was legal or not, but we figured we didnt have to go far and the odds of getting pulled over were slim. Well, sure enough a cop gets behind us and pulls us over. My friends and I thought we were screwed. Copper walks past the bed and just asked us how the fishing was. Gave my friend a seatbelt ticket in the cab for when he unbuckled to close the rear glass window and then rebuckled. So im guessing its legal in NC, but I dont think he liked the cut of our jib and wanted to write us up for something.

Have yet to be ticketed on the bike, but its probably only a matter of time.

Pics: http://jjjzj.smugmug.com/
JJJZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:07 PM   #55
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwheelies View Post
What I learned? Watch the biggest pansy power abuser in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv6Mzcs8Vuw

Get pulled over by him about a year after that video above. Wasn't coerced into his wack job accusations of trying to run on a scooter so he writes me 5 citations and has another officer pull up on the scene later assume responsibility for the "catch" and take me to jail.

I went to court with my evidence and Henderson was left holding the bag. I paid nothing and still have my clean record. Seekatz gave the other officer responsibility for the stop and did not show in court.

I do have a strong dislike for the police now. Like big corporations, the "Law" is very well protected even when they are wrong.
Man... that was harsh!

File a complaint and claim for damages? Makes Lawson v Kollender, SDPD et al. look like a kids birthday party.
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:06 PM   #56
outsidein
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
Came to a four way stop intersection (stop signs on all four streets). There was no traffic so I slowed to 1-2 MPH at the stop sign but did not come to a complete stop and put my feet down. I did not know it at the time but there was a police car behind me. As soon as I got though the intersection I heard the siren. Ticket for running a stop sign.
outsidein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:27 AM   #57
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by outsidein View Post
Came to a four way stop intersection (stop signs on all four streets). There was no traffic so I slowed to 1-2 MPH at the stop sign but did not come to a complete stop and put my feet down. I did not know it at the time but there was a police car behind me. As soon as I got though the intersection I heard the siren. Ticket for running a stop sign.
And it is stories just like this one that ended a fun game I used to play. On seemingly deserted 4-ways I used to do the same thing, except I would try to get as slow as possible before continuing through the stop. Just a harmless balance game where I was obviously "stopped" per the intent of the law, but maybe not per the letter of the law. I have heard of just a few too many people getting tickets for this same thing, so I have quit doing it.
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:58 AM   #58
daveinva
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRPtourer View Post
Another time he (same cop) wrote me for a broken turn signal when he stopped me for speeding. He said "the speed limit on this street is 35, please do not drive 50 when there is a deputy directly behind you".
I've long had a saying about driving/riding: "You can't go any faster than the car in front of you, or the cop behind you."
daveinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:05 PM   #59
lloydunknown
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Okay, I've got three stories for you. I think they are worth sharing and hopefully you will feel the same way. Let's do this chronologically.

** Start First Ticket
I was leaving Springfield/Media, PA around 9PM after stopping at a friend's house. I declined beers since I have a strict no bike no alkie policy. I turn onto US-1 to head home. This stretch of the highway has zero turns and only one merge on the right. I wind up my Triumph Legend TT and run through a VASCAR trap and didn't even notice. He was on the grass median between the merging traffic and my lane.

I continue to wind it up to about 90mph and then slowly back off and match traffic speed for the lane reduction ahead. Unbeknownst to me the cop had been chasing me with lights and siren on but he was a few miles back because he had to get his car off of the elevated grass median/hill and deal with other traffic to catch me.

He comes up behind me and I pull over assuming he will blow past me. Nope! He pulls off right behind me and waits. A few more moments pass and the entire Media police department show up. Now there are three cruisers with lights. He got me for 86mph in a 50mph.

Worried that I would lose my license I called the police department and talked to a nice fellow on the phone. I asked him what I could do to lessen my points and explained that I have a otherwise clean record and don't usually speed. He told me to go to court. I got the guys name and he turned out to be the chief of police for the little town!

I went to court and the citing officer approached ME and told me he was knocking the ticket to something small like 9mph over.
** End First Ticket
lloydunknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:14 PM   #60
lloydunknown
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
** Start Second Ticket (Warning)
I am running the same Triumph 15mph over on Del. 273. This stretch of road has no turn off, incoming traffic, or merges. It is also separated from oncoming traffic. I come around the bend to a traffic light that is yellow. Instead of adding more speed and blowing through the light I brake.

The braking was applied downhill in a slight left hand turn. I managed to stop a good five feet after the stop line for the intersection. I am very soon to be an obstacle for other road users navigating the intersection that is now RED to my direction of travel. I cannot back the bike up because of the downward grade.

No one has entered the intersection since all of their lights are still red. I clutch out and zip through the intersection on a RED.

There was a cop off to my right watching the whole thing.

He pulls me over. Again I think he will just blow past. Nope!!! He screams at me and questions why I couldn't wait 30 seconds for the light to change.

I reply: "I stopped after the stop bar and was blocking the intersection. I went through so I wouldn't be obstructing traffic. I"m not in a rush at all. Just going on a joy ride."

He again flips his shit and screams at me. I just keep on replying that I blocked the intersection and stopped past the stop bar.

After three rounds of this he checks my paper work and just lets me go.

I don't know if this is some sort of defense against running a red light. For me it was the truth!
** End Second Ticket/Warning
lloydunknown is offline   Reply With Quote