Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2012, 01:10 PM   #16
basstodave OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Too bad the F800r didn't come with a belt. I don't necessarily need or want a lower fairing ala the f800ST.
basstodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:25 PM   #17
DFH
270 deg crank

Oddometer: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by basstodave View Post
Too bad the F800r didn't come with a belt. I don't necessarily need or want a lower fairing ala the f800ST.
BMW made the f800s alongside the f800st. Bikini fairing, lower bars, belt drive..... nobody bought it either in europe or worldwide so it was dropped & replaced with the f800r
Old 04-11-2012, 05:13 PM   #18
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,918
Quote:
Test ride on a 2012 ST3r Wednesday at local Triumph dealer.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:40 PM   #19
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,478
I've been paying attention to this thread as I've been looking at midweight sport tourers. The F800 was one of the bikes I was considering and hadn't even thought about the street triple. It doesn't seem like there are any readily available options for hard cases for the ST3, however. That's kind of a deal killer for me.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:44 PM   #20
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
I've been paying attention to this thread as I've been looking at midweight sport tourers. The F800 was one of the bikes I was considering and hadn't even thought about the street triple. It doesn't seem like there are any readily available options for hard cases for the ST3, however. That's kind of a deal killer for me.

My lady friend was seriously looking at the 675 Triumph. Lack of ABS and no option for hard luggage killed the deal. Ultimately she found a 600 mile 2 1/2 yr 'still existing warranty' 2010 800ST, full load including factory lowered suspension kit. . While the optional luggage on the F series of twins leaves alot to be desired, it does work, is available, and the factory top box is very good kit. I know for a fact that the ABS has saved her at least once from a panic stop lowside.
Hey, they are both great bikes. The sound and feel of the triple is music to the ears compared to the parallel twin BMW engine. If Triumph does what I think they are, and put ABS on all their bikes, they will have a serious contender as an all rounder instead of a scaled down mini hooligan bike.
Just a side note on "quality" of build and quality of components. Last year I happened to stop by the local BMW/Aprilia/Moto Guzzi/Yamaha/Husqvarna shop. They were having new tile floors installed, and,,,well,,,the company screwed up on the concrete flooring cleaner/prep solution, causing a toxic volatile airborne agent to drift throughout the dealership. When I arrived around 9:45 am, they were in emergency mode, pushing all the bikes out of the shop, getting all product out. It was frigging alarming!!!! to see how the components and metalurgy delt with what turned out to be hyroclouric acid gas. The BMWs showed no effects to the paint, chrome, nothing at all. The same could not be said for the Triumphs, and the Piaggio products were totally buggered. The Stainless exhaust and brake discs, and the chrome were eaten alive on the Triumphs and the Moto Guzzis. Nothing at all on the Beemers.

Steve
Steve
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:25 PM   #21
basstodave OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post

Triumph ST3r is not for me. Shortish test ride, dealer didn't want a lot of miles on it, still informed me of what I needed to know.
Pros: Engine
Brakes
Suspension
Weight
Cons: terrible short steering lock to lock- My Wee can turn tighter circles.
I'm 5'6" and this bike felt like a really nice super scooter. OK, I'm coming off a Wee and it has a long wheelbase and something of a prow in front with the plastic and 19" front wheel. I thought any second I was going to fall over the handlebars on the ST3. For a laugh, ya' know, for comedy. I know now what the poster meant that said the ST3 is a more invovled ride. Ah, yeah. Better not hit even a smallish curb or decide to muscle your way around an obstacle. I'd be a millisecond away from a face plant. sorry, I am trying to be a bit entertaining. I have no experience on these little things but I just learned a little bit. Just wouldn't seem to be a relaxed ride.
I couldn't imagine any thing approaching versatility in this bike. Just me. Fun bike but that's all and I am admittedly a dull guy.
The ergonomics were a little tight and not much room to move about. There is a forward pitch to the seat. Not terrible but I felt thrown forward a bit. Anyway that's about all. Nice engine.

Bye bye Triumph

basstodave screwed with this post 04-11-2012 at 11:40 PM
Old 04-11-2012, 11:40 PM   #22
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,758
Quote:
Triumph ST3r is not for me. Shortish test ride, dealer didn't want a lot of miles on it, still informed me of what I needed to know.
Pros: Engine
Brakes
Suspension
Weight
Cons: terrible short steering lock to lock- My Wee can turn tighter circles.
I'm 5'6" and this bike felt like a really nice scooter. OK, I'm coming off a Wee and it has a long wheelbase and something of a prow in front with the plastic and 19" front wheel. I thought any second I was going to fall over the handlebars on the ST3. For a laugh, ya' know, for comedy. I know now what the poster meant that said the ST3 is a more invovled ride. Ah, yeah. Better not hit even a smallish curb or decide to muscle your way around an obstacle. I'd be a millisecond away from a face plant. sorry, I am trying to be a bit entertaining. I have no experience on these little things. Just wouldn't seem to be a relaxed ride.
I couldn't imagine any thing approaching versatility in this bike. Just me. Fun bike but that's all.
the ergonomics were a little tight and not much room to move about. There is a forward pitch to the seat. Not terrible but I felt thrown forward a bit.

Bye bye Triumph
Well the bike is a stripped off Daytona.......what did you expect?

The steering geometry is as extreme as its super-sport lineage suggests. So no, they aren't much for obstacles and such. What they are good for is behaving like a middle-weight super sport with a handlebar, which is the intent. Believe it or not they are significantly detuned with the cams, the guys are putting Daytona cams in them and getting HP across the board.

If you are looking for practical there are certainly better options.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:05 AM   #23
basstodave OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I know I know there are certainly options. Don't know what I was thinking. Oh yeah, wait, now I remember. I stupidly keep thinking there is a bike out there that can have a spirited motor, low weight, a decent chassis to handle the actual deteriorating streets of urban America. One that, short as well as tall riders can fit, with a little tweaking. One with an adjustable suspension. Great brakes. Why wouldn't great brakes be the starting point for any motorized two wheel vehicle??? Am I crazy or do the manufacturer's look at the USA market and think. The Americans are like children. They don't understand the beauty of utility. They are like junkies that need to have an adrenaline rush every few minutes or they will fall asleep.
The ST3 and the Tiger 800 need to have a child with a belt drive and a size somewhere between the two. The brakes and suspension the quality of the ST3. The BMW f800 bikes seem more like that but the Rotax just doesn't speak to me and frankly their prices are batshit. Maybe I will re-visit the F800ST. Maybe I need total immersion. Maybe I need a drink.

Tripped 1 I'm not directing any anger toward you.

basstodave screwed with this post 04-12-2012 at 12:24 AM
Old 04-12-2012, 01:54 AM   #24
willis 2000
neo-quixote

Oddometer: 3,415
rode them both

Yeah, maybe I'm a childish American, but I could not ever find a way to get an adrenaline rush on the F800ST. It was the most soulless bike since the K75. I bought a ST3R and it is my favorite bike, hands down the best I've ever ridden.
willis 2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:15 AM   #25
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,758
Quote:
I know I know there are certainly options. Don't know what I was thinking. Oh yeah, wait, now I remember. I stupidly keep thinking there is a bike out there that can have a spirited motor, low weight, a decent chassis to handle the actual deteriorating streets of urban America. One that, short as well as tall riders can fit, with a little tweaking. One with an adjustable suspension. Great brakes. Why wouldn't great brakes be the starting point for any motorized two wheel vehicle??? Am I crazy or do the manufacturer's look at the USA market and think. The Americans are like children. They don't understand the beauty of utility. They are like junkies that need to have an adrenaline rush every few minutes or they will fall asleep.
The ST3 and the Tiger 800 need to have a child with a belt drive and a size somewhere between the two. The brakes and suspension the quality of the ST3. The BMW f800 bikes seem more like that but the Rotax just doesn't speak to me and frankly their prices are batshit. Maybe I will re-visit the F800ST. Maybe I need total immersion. Maybe I need a drink.

Tripped 1 I'm not directing any anger toward you.
All good.

To be fair if you must have the suspension I'm sure traxxion or Ohlins can build you a full cartridge retro-fit. There is a guy that is putting the cartridges out of GSXRs into stock SV forks.....a friend of mine had it done to his forks. I can get the contact info if you want. Likewise, its not a dark art, you can have a rack built for the Street Triple if you must have hard bags, likewise there are things you can play with the calm the speed of the steering response

Belts meh, people hold them on pedestals, but as someone who has had to completely remove the back half of an Ultra Classic Electraglide TWICE in 6 months because of rocks getting suck in the belt and tearing it....they aren't always that great, particularly when you have to remove the swing arm to install the damn things.

Otherwise your best bet is finding a used Ulysses, they have a belt, are relatively light, smack ass in the middle of the power spectrum between a 675 and an 800 triples....pretty sure they even have a fully adjustable suspension.

I don't know about having hard luggage available, I usually stick to a hiking backpack strapped the back seat, but you can't have everything.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:57 AM   #26
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
Well the bike is a stripped off Daytona.......what did you expect?

The steering geometry is as extreme as its super-sport lineage suggests. So no, they aren't much for obstacles and such. What they are good for is behaving like a middle-weight super sport with a handlebar, which is the intent. Believe it or not they are significantly detuned with the cams, the guys are putting Daytona cams in them and getting HP across the board.

If you are looking for practical there are certainly better options.

Gez, gettin' all personal cause he panning your bike.
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:19 AM   #27
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,918
Quote:
I stupidly keep thinking there is a bike out there that can have a spirited motor, low weight, a decent chassis to handle the actual deteriorating streets of urban America.
That last part rings true. I'm eyeing up the road version Tiger 800 for exactly that reason.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:56 AM   #28
Garp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post
It was frigging alarming!!!! to see how the components and metalurgy delt with what turned out to be hyroclouric acid gas. The BMWs showed no effects to the paint, chrome, nothing at all. The same could not be said for the Triumphs, and the Piaggio products were totally buggered. The Stainless exhaust and brake discs, and the chrome were eaten alive on the Triumphs and the Moto Guzzis. Nothing at all on the Beemers.

Steve
Steve
Well I guess I just have to hope my Speed Triple and my Guzzi are never exposed to a Hydrochloric Acid cloud

Something tells me that if they are, the first thought on my mind won't be that I should have bought a BMW.
Garp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:05 AM   #29
Garp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,440
So we need to come up with a "sporty, funner" bike that's able to hit curbs for a "dull guy"

As to Americans being "childish" and not understanding utility, you have it backwards. The manufacturers are smart enough to recognize that the vast majority of bikes sold in the US are toys, people don't buy them for utility. We understand utility, look at all the SUV's we buy, but most of us aren't looking for utility toys.
Garp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:03 AM   #30
Cos
Re-Greekified

Oddometer: 10,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post
Gez, gettin' all personal cause he panning your bike.
If memory serves, he doesn't own a ST3, he owns an old Speed3 and a Daytona.

Was he wrong?
Cos is offline   Reply With Quote