Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2012, 11:06 AM   #31
mcteague
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garp View Post
So we need to come up with a "sporty, funner" bike that's able to hit curbs for a "dull guy"

As to Americans being "childish" and not understanding utility, you have it backwards. The manufacturers are smart enough to recognize that the vast majority of bikes sold in the US are toys, people don't buy them for utility. We understand utility, look at all the SUV's we buy, but most of us aren't looking for utility toys.
Hmm, I suspect most SUVs sold here in the US are about image, not utility. I especially love the super tall ones with deep tread tires and not a speck of dirt on them.

Love my Street Triple by the way. It is more of a toy for me, but that is what I was looking for, a super fun bike for short rides. No way I would want to ride cross country on one though.

Tim
mcteague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:46 AM   #32
basstodave OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
So we need to come up with a "sporty, funner" bike that's able to hit curbs for a "dull guy"

As to Americans being "childish" and not understanding utility, you have it backwards. The manufacturers are smart enough to recognize that the vast majority of bikes sold in the US are toys, people don't buy them for utility. We understand utility, look at all the SUV's we buy, but most of us aren't looking for utility toys.

SUV's were marketed to the gullible US market because they were built on a truck platform and therefore were exempt from CAFE standards for corporate mpg per sales volume as mandated by Congress. You can build a gas hog SUV and market it as safe. Add soft suspension and pretty seats, etc, etc and they are cheap to produce. No innovation necessary for safety or economy. You know a no brainer for them clever corporate types.
Consumers buy them for every reason other than utility. If utility were their target market you would see 1 in a 1000 on the road and they wouldn't have monitor screens in the drivers seat so the kiddies can watch cartoons. There are a heap of reasons to buy one so I guess you can define utility any way you please.

I just added I'm a dull guy so you all wouldn't think I was a studly troll.

As far as riding up curbs, around debris, and coyote guts left lying in the road, motocross riders might see the fun in that sort of utility. And so do us dull guys. And yes I can go find a proper adventure bike like a GS to do that. I just want an excellent can do a lot of things really well bike darn it. hehe

basstodave screwed with this post 04-12-2012 at 12:33 PM
basstodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:30 PM   #33
scrannel
Scrannel

Oddometer: 1,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by basstodave View Post
SUV's were marketed to the gullible US market because they were built on a truck platform and therefore were exempt from CAFE standards for corporate mpg per sales volume as mandated by Congress.

Consumers buy them for every reason other than utility.
When I lived in Vermont I drove sports cars, now that I'm in Southern CA, I almost always drive an SUV. First, the "gullible" reasons you mentioned... sound pretty smart to me. But, I've been hit four times in my current Land Rover. Once by a pickup that was pulling out of a liquor store which would have crushed anything "normal". Also tail-ended by a full size Benz sedan. I had to have my bumper repainted, Benz was totaled (driver was texting). Go snowboarding with my son? -- toss suitcases, boards and all kinds of shit in the back -- still have seating for five. Same with mountain biking. Wife and I both have Land Rovers. Sold the C6 because having a 400hp 6-speed stick in Southern Cal is like trying to play tennis in a phone booth. No, you don't need to lug horse shit to have an SUV.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:56 PM   #34
basstodave OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrannel View Post
When I lived in Vermont I drove sports cars, now that I'm in Southern CA, I almost always drive an SUV. First, the "gullible" reasons you mentioned... sound pretty smart to me. But, I've been hit four times in my current Land Rover. Once by a pickup that was pulling out of a liquor store which would have crushed anything "normal". Also tail-ended by a full size Benz sedan. I had to have my bumper repainted, Benz was totaled (driver was texting). Go snowboarding with my son? -- toss suitcases, boards and all kinds of shit in the back -- still have seating for five. Same with mountain biking. Wife and I both have Land Rovers. Sold the C6 because having a 400hp 6-speed stick in Southern Cal is like trying to play tennis in a phone booth. No, you don't need to lug horse shit to have an SUV.

That's awesome...dude. That reasoning is why I and my girlfriend both own and carry multiple glocks. 'cause ya never know what the other guy is packing. Just joking.
If by your reasoning you need an SUV because you never know what you'll be up against. Then why, are, you , here?
(why am I so clever?)

I do see the irony in my statements. What I want is something like a mini sport SUV on two wheels that is all street with the heart of the ST3r in a Wee design with high end engineering on all vital components.

basstodave screwed with this post 04-12-2012 at 01:09 PM
Old 04-12-2012, 01:24 PM   #35
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,775
Quote:
I do see the irony in my statements. What I want is something like a mini sport SUV on two wheels that is all street with the heart of the ST3r in a Wee design with high end engineering on all vital components.
Isn't that basically a KTM SMT 990? I mean, I dunno about the engineering with regard to maintenance and reliability, but they have a hell of a spec sheet.
Grainbelt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:34 PM   #36
Garp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
Isn't that basically a KTM SMT 990? I mean, I dunno about the engineering with regard to maintenance and reliability, but they have a hell of a spec sheet.
I think the challenge is that the bikes that are built like that tend to be "hooligan" bikes, short wheelbase, highly maneuverable and engaging to ride. If the Street Triple is too direct, and a Wee is too dull, I'm not sure what lies in between. Maybe an FZ6R?
Garp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:45 PM   #37
doc4216
Chronic High Fiver

Oddometer: 378
Laugh 2cents

Just to throw this out there, I switched from a wee with all the farckles to an 800ST and couldn't believe the difference! I love every minute it and don't know why I waited so long. Mainly ride for commuting and some on the weekends but it has everything and does everything I want and need. Super comfy, 5'7" frame can put both feet down flat with my low seat, and I never feel top heavy like I did all the time with the wee. Maintenance is super easy and so nice not hearing or maintaining the chain. I don't regret it at all!
Old 04-12-2012, 07:10 PM   #38
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,837
Quote:
We understand utility, look at all the SUV's we buy,
That's the biggest contradiction in itself ...
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:27 PM   #39
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cos View Post
If memory serves, he doesn't own a ST3, he owns an old Speed3 and a Daytona.

Was he wrong?
Correct.

...and old tank of 2000 Speed 3 at that.
Tripped1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:10 PM   #40
scrannel
Scrannel

Oddometer: 1,457
Quote:

That's awesome...dude. That reasoning is why I and my girlfriend both own and carry multiple glocks. 'cause ya never know what the other guy is packing. Just joking.
If by your reasoning you need an SUV because you never know what you'll be up against. Then why, are, you , here?
(why am I so clever?)

Clever is not your forte. Just thinking you're clever. The issue is many people actually have good reasons for using SUVs. My wife carries horse gear and often tows a trailer with a pair of horses. Hard to do with a small vehicle. (She also trailers her dirt bikes). I ride a motorcycle because I like them. When I'm in a car, I like something that can go anywhere. And I much prefer an SUV in heavy snow and ice. I did commute in LA for a few years on a Sportster... until some asshole shot me. Dude.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:26 PM   #41
basstodave OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc4216 View Post
Just to throw this out there, I switched from a wee with all the farckles to an 800ST and couldn't believe the difference! I love every minute it and don't know why I waited so long. Mainly ride for commuting and some on the weekends but it has everything and does everything I want and need. Super comfy, 5'7" frame can put both feet down flat with my low seat, and I never feel top heavy like I did all the time with the wee. Maintenance is super easy and so nice not hearing or maintaining the chain. I don't regret it at all!

I am listening. I test road the f800r today. I think I have started a thread about two bikes I though represented some sort of standard for spirited street riding and that they would be versatile, too. I have found them both to be too sporty for me. Too tight a cockpit. A little too firm a ride. I am learning.
I am out of ideas. But. Maybe the 800st is the right compromise. I have to live with the plastic but is the riding crouch a little more relaxed or identical to the 800r. A little more space between seat and peg or pegs a little more forward? It could be also that I am wearing Motoport stretch kevlar jeans and they have a lot of armor. Ankle to hip. And perhaps there are parts available to lower the peg a bit.

basstodave screwed with this post 04-12-2012 at 08:46 PM
Old 04-12-2012, 10:41 PM   #42
ADVBMR
Polygamotorcyclist

Oddometer: 835
Yes, there are parts to lower the pegs and others to alter the ride somewhat; risers, for example. But gear? Get yourself comfortable in your gear first, then try the bike. If your gear doesn't feel right in the living room, don't try it on the bike.
IBA #47244
2007 R1200GS; 2006 DL650 V-Strom; 2011 F800R; 2013 CRF250L; 1995 R1100GS (sold); 2006 Ducati Multistrada 620 dark (sold)
ADVBMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:06 PM   #43
basstodave OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVBMR View Post
Yes, there are parts to lower the pegs and others to alter the ride somewhat; risers, for example. But gear? Get yourself comfortable in your gear first, then try the bike. If your gear doesn't feel right in the living room, don't try it on the bike.
My Motoport gear is well broken in and it is simply the best for me.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:35 PM   #44
Cos
Re-Greekified

Oddometer: 10,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
Correct.

...and old tank of 2000 Speed 3 at that.

Meh...tank shmank...i'm plenty happy on the street with my 955 Daytona locomotive.

For the OP...you thought the F800R was too sporty?
Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:55 PM   #45
Mike in Oregon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
I'll chime in here: Had a BMW 2007 f800s. I have a 34 " inseam and the seat to pegs was too tight to be comfy for me. I added a peg-lowering kit from some Suburban Machinery, or some such. That helped, but I never got on with the bike. Sound is important to me and I thought that parallel twin sounded awful--purely subjective of course. I also had an '07 Speed Triple (not STREET) and sounded terrific to my ears and was just plain fun.

If you want FUN, lousy to non-existent passenger comfort, sweet sound strap a bag over the passenger seat and-- go street triple. If you want a very competent commuter, good gas mileage, abs, heated grips and if you are ok with the soundtrack, the f800st is great.

They are all great bikes. Depends on what you want.

How about a Versys for more comfy/less tight quarters or used KTM 950 or 990 SM?

Edit--sorry posted without reading all the posts--No Street Trip after a test ride.
Frankly the twin in your Wee is an awesome engine--how about a lightly used SV650? BMW G650gs? Lightly used Honda 919 (find a low mileage '07 and ride the crap out of it??)

Mike in Oregon screwed with this post 04-13-2012 at 12:05 AM
Mike in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote