Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2012, 12:56 AM   #46
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cos View Post
Meh...tank shmank...i'm plenty happy on the street with my 955 Daytona locomotive.

For the OP...you thought the F800R was too sporty?

I have Daytona internals!

I'm trying to find time to put GSXR forks on it, because it was cheaper to get the forks for a 2003 GSXR wholesale than it was to get the tools and parts to rebuild the stockers after 115,000 miles lol.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:31 AM   #47
basstodave OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
For the OP...you thought the F800R was too sporty?[/QUOTE]

Just the seat to peg height. I am 5'6" but I have a 31" inseam. Too much bend in the knee. Between my age and a point I made earlier about the somewhat bulkiness of Motoport pants the height and angle combined to make it uncomfortable for me. That is what I meant by too sporty. Seating position.

I don't care much what a bike sounds like. It could be silent AFAIC. I'm wearing ear plugs and a full face helmet.
Oh, I did like the clean air of the f800r. No half assed fairing in front.
I test road the f800r and the 650gs. The 650 was, no surprise, like a lighter version of the Wee. It was fun but the price tag was a riot.
I liked the f800r. But on Tucson streets it would beat me up after a bit. I fully appreciated how plush the Wee is after my test ride. I also had to admit what a boat it is.

basstodave screwed with this post 04-13-2012 at 05:14 AM
basstodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:19 AM   #48
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,910
I'm increasingly convinced that (like me) you're at a point where quality suspension starts trumping everything. The under-ten-grand category is sort of a wasteland when it comes to forks and shocks.

You might consider budgeting two grand over whatever you buy and get some seriously upgraded forks and shock, and pay somebody who knows their shit to set it up for you.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:30 AM   #49
Garp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
I'm increasingly convinced that (like me) you're at a point where quality suspension starts trumping everything.
Based on the fact that everything seems to be too hard and too sporty, I'm thinking he needs a barcalounger, not quality suspension. That said it needs to be a nimble, rugged, sporty, fun but not too boat like Barcalounger with a nice cushy ride.

How about a Honda NT700V. Honda's website says it is "nimble" "fun" and "potent", of course in large parts of the world it is referred to as the "dullville"but I think it may be just right for you
Garp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:51 AM   #50
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garp View Post
Based on the fact that everything seems to be too hard and too sporty, I'm thinking he needs a barcalounger, not quality suspension.
My understanding - and as an owner of budgety middleweights, I'm no expert - is that quality cartridge forks and rear shocks can be set with different rates for high- and low-speed compression damping, such that when the spring rates and static sag are correct, harsh sharp-edged bumps are absorbed but brake dive and wallowing are mostly eliminated. The brief rides I've had on better equipped bikes seem to bear this out.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:54 AM   #51
Garp
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
My understanding - and as an owner of budgety middleweights, I'm no expert - is that quality cartridge forks and rear shocks can be set with different rates for high- and low-speed compression damping, such that when the spring rates and static sag are correct, harsh sharp-edged bumps are absorbed but brake dive and wallowing are mostly eliminated. The brief rides I've had on better equipped bikes seem to bear this out.

You may well be right, but my experience has been that whatever faults the stock suspension on my bikes had, they weren't a $2000 problem.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:57 AM   #52
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Quote:
You may well be right, but my experience has been that whatever faults the stock suspension on my bikes had, they weren't a $2000 problem.
With my FZ6 you have to pretty much throw away the stock stuff and fit previous-year R6 forks, and an aftermarket rear shock. It might not be $2k, but I bet if you paid someone to install and set it up it would get close.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:58 AM   #53
JeffPM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
A couple of suggestions for the OP, you might want to have a look at a Yamaha FZ8 or an SV 650 or a new '12 WeeStrom. Another possibility is to throw some money at your present Wee. Upgrade the suspension, mods to drop some weight and a pipe or something to improve the power a little.

Good luck with your search!

'09 Suzuki DL650 WeeStrom
'09 Triumph Street Triple R
JeffPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:59 AM   #54
basstodave OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffPM View Post
A couple of suggestions for the OP, you might want to have a look at a Yamaha FZ8 or an SV 650 or a new '12 WeeStrom. Another possibility is to throw some money at your present Wee. Upgrade the suspension, mods to drop some weight and a pipe or something to improve the power a little.

Good luck with your search!
Thanks.

I have upgraded the front fork spring. I also upgraded the front brakes from a two pot sliding caliper to a GSXR 4 pot caliper. The brake conversion initially went well but recently I'm not so sure. I began my search to find a bike around $10k with quality suspension and brakes out of the box. Turn the laugh track on.

Anyone have a nice 2007 SV1000 with converta-bars or an LSL handlebar kit?
Old 04-13-2012, 10:38 AM   #55
LoriKTM
Wrecking Ball

Oddometer: 1,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by basstodave View Post
Thanks.

I began my search to find a bike around $10k with quality suspension and brakes out of the box. Turn the laugh track on.
Since you're already looking at older model bikes, consider the Buell Ulysses. Nice upright riding position, fully adjustable suspension front and rear, and very good brakes. You should be able to easily find a decent low mileage Uly for $6-8K. We have an '09, and it has 14,000 miles on it with no issues. Most of the mileage put on by my 6' 3" husband, but I've been riding it a lot lately and find it comfortable to ride at 5' 3" (if a bit of a reach at stops). The pillion accommodations are also very comfy.

You may also want to give the Tiger800 (roadie) a test ride. Should be a bit less sporty than the Street Triple, but it does not have the fully adjustable suspension.
LoriKTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:53 AM   #56
basstodave OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriKTM View Post
Since you're already looking at older model bikes, consider the Buell Ulysses. Nice upright riding position, fully adjustable suspension front and rear, and very good brakes. You should be able to easily find a decent low mileage Uly for $6-8K. We have an '09, and it has 14,000 miles on it with no issues. Most of the mileage put on by my 6' 3" husband, but I've been riding it a lot lately and find it comfortable to ride at 5' 3" (if a bit of a reach at stops). The pillion accommodations are also very comfy.

You may also want to give the Tiger800 (roadie) a test ride. Should be a bit less sporty than the Street Triple, but it does not have the fully adjustable suspension.
Why does the cheaper ST3r have better brakes and suspension than the Tiger 800? I don't think the Tiger owners are complaining about the brakes and suspension but on paper they are spec'd lower?? The Tiger would replace my Wee but not what I need or want. I want a 17" front wheel next bike.

basstodave screwed with this post 04-13-2012 at 11:05 AM
Old 04-13-2012, 12:17 PM   #57
Cos
Re-Greekified

Oddometer: 10,423
Quote:
Why does the cheaper ST3r have better brakes and suspension than the Tiger 800? I don't think the Tiger owners are complaining about the brakes and suspension but on paper they are spec'd lower?? The Tiger would replace my Wee but not what I need or want. I want a 17" front wheel next bike.
Ulysses

Previous Gen Multistrada, especially the 1100
Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:28 PM   #58
Garp
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Because they are designed for completely different audiences. People who buy bikes that are known for their handling are sometimes willing to pay the extra for higher spec components and factories like Ducati and Triumph give people the choice. When Triumph sees a market for a Tiger with high spec Ohlins suspension, they may make one as an option, but for now they have to be price competitive with BMW so you get a lower spec.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:34 PM   #59
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,843
Quote:
When Triumph sees a market for a Tiger with high spec Ohlins suspension, they may make one as an option, but for now they have to be price competitive with BMW so you get a lower spec.
I think you didn't answer the real question: what makes the Tiger so much more expensive than the Street Triple R and still have less quality suspension and brake components?
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:45 PM   #60
Garp
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
I think you didn't answer the real question: what makes the Tiger so much more expensive than the Street Triple R and still have less quality suspension and brake components?
Different markets have different sensitivity to price. Why does a bleeding edge BMW S1000RR cost less than an R1200GS? Because if BMW wants to compete in the sport bike market they have to be price competitive. If people are willing to pay more and get less, you can't blame the manufacturers for taking their money.