Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2012, 01:22 PM   #91
Garp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post

If you don't need luggage, that's not a big problem, but for me it comes down to:

1) If you want convenient lockable luggage - F800R.
2) If you are okay with using soft luggage - Street Triple.

For me personally, I like the Triumph much more as long as I don't need to carry anything (anything includes luggage and passengers) and I don't like either for really long tours (I have 34" inseam).
It is god awful ugly, but Touratech make hard bags for the Speed Triple:

Garp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:52 PM   #92
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garp View Post
At that point it seems to make more sense to just buy the road version Tiger 800 and make mild upgrades to the suspension, particularly for any two-up riding.

I have rarely been as let down as I was by the F800R. Just the wrong motor for a sporty naked bike, IMO.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:08 PM   #93
storman113
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxmike View Post

Anyone have any pics of the bmw’s with any form of luggage or top box on them?
Here's my ST on my east coast trip last summer. 45L Trax cases, 45L Givi top box. Helentwowheels bag for tent, sleeping bag etc. Worked great for 2 plus months.

All comes off easy so I could try my hand on the Dragon.

Old 04-27-2012, 02:21 PM   #94
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garp View Post
First, I refuse to buy from Touratech outside Germany because of their absolute rio-off prices (40 to 80% higher than German prices). Second I refuse to buy from Touratech Germany because of their rip-off prices.

Third - if you really want to go that route: just get a Tiger Roadie. I did. Great bike. At some point I want to do something to the suspension, but so far it's good.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:07 PM   #95
Doubleplay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxmike View Post
Touché

there you go with the broad generalizations again...

can that Renault do this?

But I digress. The real reason I read this thread in the first place is because those are bikes I am looking at for a commuter/date night with the lady/day trips on the road. i can’t decide so I guess some test rides are in order, which means a motorcycle license is in order as well.
Since you seems to be obsessed with broad generalizations let me give you a hint:

Most of the personal opinions about motorcycles, religion, woman, sex etc... are broad generalizations.

BTW I would take Triumph just for the fun factor. I test rode them all.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:19 PM   #96
moe.ron
Poor Dumb Bastard

Oddometer: 2,467
I am going to go with this on my F800R. Light, inexpensive, easy on / off. Gets good reviews and I dont need it on the bike all the time.

http://f800depot.com/hepco-becker-c-...ggage-kit.html
Old 05-01-2012, 08:09 PM   #97
DeedsyDragon
Moto Dragon

Oddometer: 103
how effective are the aftermarket windscreens for the striple? i might be getting one next year, and it's going to be my daily driver, 365. it doesn't get TOO cold down here, but i would still like to remain relatively comfortable when riding about when it's cold as balls.
DeedsyDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:35 PM   #98
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
I did that often enough with a Renault Megane which got about 40mpg ... The secret is called "trailer behind a diesel station wagon". Though I have to admit, I didn't get 40mpg with these three people and the trailer. It was around 30mpg then ...

Yeah that trailer costs triple the tolls to get anywhere.

Has to go in one vehicle...two axles.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 05:58 PM   #99
Motard_Menace
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
F800s

Not sure if the OP has purchased anything yet but you might want to consider the F800S which is a tad more sporty then the ST version yet has all the amenities. I just picked up an excellent example recently and couldn't be happier so far. I am 5'10" with a 32 inch inseam, fits me great. The pegs are set a tad high but there are inexpensive aftermarket solutions for about $150 and that is one of my upcoming purchases along with a windshield for a little better air management. As for vibes, I got this one with the Throttlemeister bar end weights and lock which must dampen some of the vibes because they are not bad at all in my opinion. It is light, plenty fast for running around, has bags and all the safety features and candy you need if you can find one with all the electronic options. This is really a do it all bike. The 800S is a little harder to find since they only brought them here for one year in 2007. It is weird but the US just can't sell naked bikes like the European market hence the reason we only really have two manufactures who continue to sell one model line for any consecutive time ala; the Monster and Speed Triple. The Japs seem to come and go with the naked's depending on the wind I guess.....

Photobucket

Motard_Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:31 AM   #100
basstodave OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
That is a great looking bike. Too bad BMW didn't continue selling the S model. With bar risers and the peg lower I would consider this a great city bike. I have seen these for sale on ebay but I won't buy the 2007 model 800 anything BMW. I am admittedly superstitious about that year model.
I don't understand the 800R at all. A chain over a single sided swingarm and belt?
basstodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 07:59 AM   #101
RobH
Don't tase me bro

Oddometer: 5,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by basstodave View Post
Triumph ST3r is not for me.

Cons: terrible short steering lock to lock- My Wee can turn tighter circles.
I'm 5'6" and this bike felt like a really nice super scooter. OK, I'm coming off a Wee and it has a long wheelbase and something of a prow in front with the plastic and 19" front wheel. I thought any second I was going to fall over the handlebars on the ST3. For a laugh, ya' know, for comedy. I know now what the poster meant that said the ST3 is a more invovled ride. Ah, yeah. Better not hit even a smallish curb or decide to muscle your way around an obstacle. I'd be a millisecond away from a face plant. sorry, I am trying to be a bit entertaining. I have no experience on these little things but I just learned a little bit. Just wouldn't seem to be a relaxed ride.
I couldn't imagine any thing approaching versatility in this bike. Just me. Fun bike but that's all and I am admittedly a dull guy.
The ergonomics were a little tight and not much room to move about. There is a forward pitch to the seat. Not terrible but I felt thrown forward a bit. Anyway that's about all. Nice engine.

Bye bye Triumph
Sorry, but duh...they are called naked sport bikes because they are...wait for it...naked sport bikes. If you are looking for comfort, go with a sports touring bike of some sort.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:01 AM   #102
basstodave OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
Sorry, but duh...they are called naked sport bikes because they are...wait for it...naked sport bikes. If you are looking for comfort, go with a sports touring bike of some sort.

Whew! Thanks for clearing that up for me!

To really love motorcycles you have to sort of approach them as watching a movie. Suspend disbelief. IMHO

basstodave screwed with this post 05-20-2012 at 11:10 AM
basstodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:51 AM   #103
Going_Commando
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
Quote:
That is a great looking bike. Too bad BMW didn't continue selling the S model. With bar risers and the peg lower I would consider this a great city bike. I have seen these for sale on ebay but I won't buy the 2007 model 800 anything BMW. I am admittedly superstitious about that year model.
I don't understand the 800R at all. A chain over a single sided swingarm and belt?
The 800R is an 800S with bar risers and lower pegs from the factory, when you get right down to it.
Going_Commando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:13 PM   #104
Motard_Menace
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Going_Commando View Post
The 800R is an 800S with bar risers and lower pegs from the factory, when you get right down to it.
pretty much also minus the half fairing I guess as well......
Motard_Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:44 PM   #105
opmike
Choosing to be here.

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
To really love motorcycles you have to sort of approach them as watching a movie. Suspend disbelief. IMHO
Nonsense.

With all the bikes on the market and the upgrades available for them, if you can't find some combination that gets your fires stoked, then I'm inclined to think this is a "user error" problem and a not a "manufacturer defect." You don't have to suspend disbelief, you just have to be reasonable. You're not going to get Ohlins TTX/NIX handling all while having a supple, comfortable ride; you're going to have to make concessions in one area or another. For me personally, I'm more than willing to contend with a "rougher ride" if it means I'll have a bike that will feel planted and solid underneath me. YMMV. My SV's suspension was complete shit stock. So, I went about fixing to how I wanted it with emulators, springs, and oil up front with an overhauled ZX-10 shock out back. It's not perfect, but I have no major complaints that have me shaking me head when I get off it.

I apologize if you've already done something like this already, but can you please type out a numbered list (in order of importance) of what you're looking for in a motorcycle?
opmike is online now   Reply With Quote