Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2012, 10:26 PM   #106
basstodave OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
I apologize if you've already done something like this already, but can you please type out a numbered list (in order of importance) of what you're looking for in a motorcycle?[/QUOTE]

1) excellent brakes
2) reasonable riding position for my 5'6" frame and aged body. Inexpensive modifications, OK, to get that comfort zone. Prefer seat height under 32". Ergos to fit me riding in a relaxed position, not too aggressive, not too much weight on wrists.
3) under 500 lbs. under 450 better
4) reliable, reliable, proven reliable, all systems
5) something with a torquey engine and more power than my Wee at 65HP-
6) good or great suspension. Able to dial in a firm but compliant ride? Is that an oxymoron?
7) ABS
8) inexpensive to maintain
9) good MPG doesn't hurt
10) a centerstand
11) a gear ratio with spacing not so close as to be redundant
12) a small fairing is ok as well as naked
13) more sport than adventure or tour but I like a slightly longer wheelbase and somewhat upright ride. 17" wheels.
14) a belt over chain and sprockets
Not all this is in the exact order.
I bet I need more than one bike!

basstodave screwed with this post 05-21-2012 at 10:31 PM
basstodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:35 AM   #107
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,428
Yeah, 1-6 and 7 down are damn near mutually exclusive.
Tripped1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:18 AM   #108
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by basstodave View Post
Not all this is in the exact order.
I bet I need more than one bike!
Ever thought about a used R1200R?
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:34 AM   #109
basstodave OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Ever thought about a used R1200R?
All the time. If a recent used one comes up for sale I check them out.
basstodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:50 AM   #110
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by basstodave View Post
All the time. If a recent used one comes up for sale I check them out.
And if you do your own maintenance (easy to do) it's also cheap to maintain. I'd love to have one in addition to my Tiger.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:35 PM   #111
ThrottleJock
Shaved Ape

Oddometer: 60
Another vote for Street Triple R. My old man has one and out of a garage full of other choices (including a Tiger 1050 w/ Penske suspension) it's the one that gets ridden most. It's amazingly versatile. Fun, fast, light, easy to ride and comfy. It also feels positively miniscule as compared to the BMW, which I think is a good thing. I like bikes that are only as large as they need to be. Towering seat height and oversized ergonomics on a bike that's not going to be ridden by a giant and/or never going to go off road is silly.

Also, the motor on the triple is positively addictive, versus the F800 motor which is somewhat agricultural.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:37 PM   #112
Motard_Menace
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
It appears that you are looking to hard IMHO. You are never going to find that exactly perfect machine for everything especially at a budget price. I know this because I have tried..... it is nearly impossible. The best you can hope for is to try and find something with about 80% of what is on your list. This is doable I think. Since 1991 I have had the following bikes:

1987 Kawasaki Ninja 250
1986 Honda VFR 750 (Wish I still had this one)
1991 Suzuki GSxR 750
2001 Harley Davidson Dyna Standard
2003 Harley Davidson Electra Glide Standard
2006 Triumph Speed Triple
2007 Ducati Hypermotard
2007 Ducati 1098
2008 Yamaha WRX 250
2001 Ducati ST4
2009 Kawasaki KLR
2007 Suzuki DRZ SM
2004 KTM 950 ADV
2007 BMW F800s

The one thing I discovered after all these bikes is that there is no one absolutely perfect bike. Some come closer then others and if I had my druthers I would have 3 bikes in the garage but life circumstances don't allow that currently. Right now I have the BMW at that is all. I haven't had it long enough to say whether or not it will last in my garage, but so far I am digging it. I tend to go through bikes at times like some folks do underwear in search of that perfect ride. The other thing I had learned is buy used and let someone else take the appreciation hit. My last several bikes have been purchased used and it makes it a lot easier to sell it off for a couple hundred dollar loss and move onto the next one then eating thousands for a mistake. I will add that the most versatile bike in that list was the Speed Triple for my purposes anyway except it didn't have luggage and wasn't super comfy on high speed runs, that is why the BMW is now in the garage. Its not quite as inspiring from a passion stand point however I kind of like the no nonsense teutonic approach from BMW. I think any bike can have character but that depends more on the owner kind of like being poor with class and being rich with no class I guess.

Sorry for rambling but I was bored this afternoon, home sick.... Good Luck with the hunt that is half the fun.....
Motard_Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 01:28 PM   #113
queenpdog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 971
In my opinion, the Steet Triple is suberb. Somewhere around 109hp, and it almost telepathic when it comes to handling. Most fun bike I've ever ridden, and I have ridden the F800ST. To me, there is no comparison. I love BMW's in general, but they are in a different league.

'12 Tiger 800XC
'01 TW200
So long Street Triple R, Scrambler, R1150R, F650GS, R100RS....I've loved you all.
queenpdog is offline   Reply With Quote