User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2012, 09:41 PM   #1
SS in Vzla. OP
Totally Normal? I'm not!

Oddometer: 1,178
For Your Bike Needs in Bogota

When you run into a great shop that caters especially to ADV Riders, you have to recommend it, and it's nice to have some directions in a town you don't know so here it goes:

BIKE'S ADVENTURE BOGOTA

http://www.bikesadventure.com/

N 04° 38.86.3 W 074° 04.14.4

Address: Calle 72 No 27 A- 15

This guys have lent space and tools on several occasions for ADV Riders to do their own work.

I sent Crashmaster there and they took good care of him.

Today, Mauricio (the owner) lent us a bike lift and tools so we could change the water pump on PorLaTierra's bike... We got there pretty late in the afternoon and finished around 8:30PM. He normally closes at 6:00PM so he stayed late, simply waiting for us (even though we offered to leave the bike and come back tomorrow so he could go home, he said not to worry, he'll wait)... When we finished, Ryan was going to his hostel and I was going to the opposite part of town, so Mauricio even gave me a lift home.

He has several brands of oil, lots of different tires at decent prices.. even the hard-to-find front 19 inches for the big GS... I saw a couple of TKC in stock and several hard-to-find (n Latin America) rear Pirelli Scorpions MT90 for the KTM 9*0 (he can mount and balance a tire), Heidenau, other fluids, clothing, helmets, gloves and other accessories related to the ADV Rider.

So if you are in Bogotá, looking for something for your bike, pay him a visit. He enjoys helping ADV Riders and he is good people. And the store is located very close to the "bikes street" (several blocks of stores that sell only bike related stuff) so if Mauricio doesn't have it, you will probably find it close by.

I'm not related to them in any way, but I think one should support good businesses and good people.

SS in Vzla. screwed with this post 08-01-2014 at 11:23 AM
SS in Vzla. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 05:06 AM   #2
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,719
I knew you would be the guy to help out Ryan! Way to go Silviu, a fine ADVer to say the least
Old 05-13-2012, 10:54 AM   #3
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,205
. Great place to get things for your bike and Mauricio is a first class guy. He also has capable mechanics at his shop that are familiar with many types of bikes. If he doesn't have what you need he will send a guy to go chase it down, which is a huge time saver in a big city.

I wanted to do my own work so he gave me use of space and a lift. I bought oil, filters and tires from him and offered to pay him for the use of his space but he wouldn't take anything.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:01 PM   #4
jonz
Miles are my mantra

Oddometer: 2,257
+2 for tires in Bogota

Howdy gang,
Thanks to the OP for this recommendation. I was searching Latin America on a different topic and came across this thread. My buddy Henry (F800GS)and I stopped by and the tire price was so good I got a new front tire though I could have easily stretched it a (maybe a couple) thousand miles more. We got front Metzler Saharas mounted and balanced for $69 Plus, they stopped what they were doing and took care of us right away. Just a note - the gps coordinates on the website are off so use the address to get there.

We both had TKC80 fronts and with 6800 miles and they were wearing strangely. I guess you'd call it cupping as every other transverse row of nobs was really worn at the rear of those nobs. The new front tires felt really strange until we got used to how a tire was supposed to handle. It's kind of strange but everyone comments on how tough the mighty KTM 950 is on rear tires but I find it surprisingly hard on fronts. The rear Mefo Super Explorer still has at least 1/3 of its tread left.
Honda ST1300 ABS (newest addition to the stable)
STOC #326 IBA #217
jonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:32 PM   #5
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

To get way more life out of those Tkc tires and almost any other knobbie fronts is to flip them around on the wheel every couple thousand kms to keep the cups equal, makes em last lots longer. Takes a little effort but it pays off in the end with way longer wear, also good time to inspect/service wheel bearings and brakes.

Colombia is one of the best places, if not the best to stock up on tires in all SA, way cheaper and great selection compared to other countries

Another good shop for tires in Bucaramanga is American Motos found here
N7 07.520 W73 07.354 The shop owner's son speaks great English btw.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:03 PM   #6
pasomonte
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
I got my tires here and they were at a very good price. Gracias
pasomonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 03:38 PM   #7
EnglishADVriders
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Tires, South America, yacht to Columbia, f 800 gs

Hello,

Big thank you to those that helped with the tire situation.
I have made arrangements with bikes adventure and although the owners English wasn't great it was way better than my spanish and he was really helpful and although Botoga wasn't somewhere we were desperate to visit we decided it's not far out of the way.
We are currently in Costa fortune. We will cross into Panama tomorrow and head for Carti where we will do a bit of diving and Catch the yacht Independence to Cartagena on the 10 th, anyone else joining us?

Anyone no where I can get decent maps for South American Countries?

Cheers

O If INTERESTED CAN FOLLOW OUR FACE BOOK PAGE;

Alaska to Argentina 2014/15

Cheers

WHEELY LIVING THE DREAM
EnglishADVriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 10:16 PM   #8
jonz
Miles are my mantra

Oddometer: 2,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishADVriders View Post
Hello,

Big thank you to those that helped with the tire situation.
I have made arrangements with bikes adventure and although the owners English wasn't great it was way better than my spanish and he was really helpful and although Botoga wasn't somewhere we were desperate to visit we decided it's not far out of the way.
We are currently in Costa fortune. We will cross into Panama tomorrow and head for Carti where we will do a bit of diving and Catch the yacht Independence to Cartagena on the 10 th, anyone else joining us?

Anyone no where I can get decent maps for South American Countries?

Cheers

O If INTERESTED CAN FOLLOW OUR FACE BOOK PAGE;

Alaska to Argentina 2014/15

Cheers

WHEELY LIVING THE DREAM
I used the free OSM maps for Colombia downloaded into my Garmin GPS. The paved roads were good and the dirt ones were sometimes accurate, sometimes not so much.
Honda ST1300 ABS (newest addition to the stable)
STOC #326 IBA #217
jonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 10:28 PM   #9
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Free Colrut gps maps are good addition to OSM they both show a little more or less depending on where you are, very nice to have them both stacked on the gps to use.