ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Latin America
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-31-2012, 07:56 PM   #211
bananaman
transcontimental
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Madison, Wisconsin and/or Panama, Panama
Oddometer: 6,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misery Goat View Post
I'll do it if you're giving odds.
The funny thing is, for the last few years, I'd see Mr. Throttlemeister about once a year. Last year I didn't get to get drunk with him, which was a disappointment, and this year it's not looking like we'll meet, although it's only May and anything could happen. Ordinarily, I'd say that I'd pay-up at a rallye, in beer or something bike-related. If he makes it, and I have to pay, I'd say... a bottle of rum from Panama? If he tries, and doesn't make it, what would he owe, assuming that he survives? There's a limit to how many bottles of rum I can drink.

There's no limit to dumb things he'd be willing to do, so making him run naked laps around a pack of motorcycles won't matter. Making him run a naked lap around a ferry is not something any of us want to see. So what would be worth 10 bottles of rum?

Note: I'd pay about US$3.75 for the rum at the El Rey down the street from Camino de Cruces on Tumba Muerto. 10-1 odds would only amount to like $37.50.

10-1 might sound steep, but I know that crazy whale-digger. The harder, the more insane, the more likely he'll do it, and enjoy it. Just ask him about the time he skied his 1150 down a hill in a blizzard, then pushed a crazy lady out of a ditch, in Alaska, in the totally wrong direction. Nobody should be riding a motorcycle in the wrong direction in a blizzard in Alaska.

Nobody should really flirt with paramilitaries and FARC, except for Throttlemeister, who will likely be recognized as their KING.

Maybe 7-2 odds? But what's equal to two bottles of US$3.75 rum?

As for "thread drift," answer this: how many pics have been posted of Brittany Spears in the TB thread?
__________________
Baja 1000 Countdown: 25 days.
bananaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:44 PM   #212
crashmaster
ow, my balls!
 
crashmaster's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Alaska
Oddometer: 5,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman View Post
Nobody should really flirt with paramilitaries and FARC, except for Throttlemeister, who will likely be recognized as their KING.
I have it on good authority that the VZ military put him up for the night, then sent him on his way in the morning with a free tank of gas. You cant help but like John, no matter who you are. I'll bet if he showed up at that phantom ferry, they would fire up the ship and give him a ride.
__________________
Riding the Americas: No Fumar Español
_____________________________________________

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:39 AM   #213
SS in Vzla.
Totally Normal? I'm not!
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Banana Republic of Black Gold
Oddometer: 1,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post
I have it on good authority that the VZ military put him up for the night, SEVERAL TIMES then sent him on his way in the morning with a free tank of gas and fresh coffee. You cant help but like John, no matter who you are. I'll bet if he showed up at that phantom ferry, they would fire up the ship and give him a ride.
Bananaman, 3 dollar rum? are you kidding?
The man has to get out of Venezuela, do the Guyanas loop, ride some of Brazil and then store his bike somewhere in Uruguay before returning home something like "next week" and you think you can lure him with an offer of 3 dollar rum and some laps around a couple motorcycles?
Put out some good booze and maybe he'll be there... (a 5 dollar bottle of rum will probably do it )
__________________
SS. '98 BMW F650 / '06 WR250F / '07 KTM 990 Adv
Caracas, Venezuela
SS in Vzla. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:48 AM   #214
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Okie near Muskogee
Oddometer: 3,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster
I have it on good authority that the VZ military put him up for the night, SEVERAL TIMES then sent him on his way in the morning with a free tank of gas and fresh coffee. You cant help but like John, no matter who you are. I'll bet if he showed up at that phantom ferry, they would fire up the ship and give him a ride.


And don't forget free use of the banos, tp includo, so I don't have to go take my morning shit in the bushes They are good people to me Venezuela shouldn't be missed, hell it's basically free gas and hot women

John with my broken down bike I love in Cuidad Bolivar, VZ waitig on some MRW outfit to deliver the goods
__________________
www.throttlemeister.net
Throttlemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 01:37 PM   #215
GastonUSAChile
Studly Adventurer
 
GastonUSAChile's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Miami,USA
Oddometer: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster
I have it on good authority that the VZ military put him up for the night, SEVERAL TIMES then sent him on his way in the morning with a free tank of gas and fresh coffee. You cant help but like John, no matter who you are. I'll bet if he showed up at that phantom ferry, they would fire up the ship and give him a ride.


They are good people to me Venezuela shouldn't be missed, hell it's basically free gas and hot women

A lot to find there, it is a great country and lot to see, landscape and relax , extremely cheap gas and great rides.

To me actually , Venezuela is lot better than Colombia, after living 14+ years.
People is aware because safety and other Chavez stuff. Forget it, all countries have their own problems.

Let me know and will organize something great in there.

Chavez has 2 more month of life, the country is the same , democracy hasn't changed in decades. A new young president is coming and a even greater thing will come.

My vision
__________________
SAmericaXplorer
Export/Import Adventure Logistics
Motorbikes & Overland Vehicles

US SHIPPING Now open: JUNE-JULY 2014 Share Container CHILE to MIAMI or HOUSTON
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=741582 www.samericaxplorer.net
GastonUSAChile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:08 AM   #216
bananaman
transcontimental
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Madison, Wisconsin and/or Panama, Panama
Oddometer: 6,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by GastonUSAChile View Post
A lot to find there, it is a great country and lot to see, landscape and relax , extremely cheap gas and great rides.

Let me know and will organize something great in there.


My vision

SPAM

None of us are interested in paying you to organize anything in Venezuela or Colombia.
__________________
Baja 1000 Countdown: 25 days.
bananaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:09 AM   #217
C5!
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Venezuela & Colombia
Oddometer: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman View Post
SPAM

None of us are interested in paying you to organize anything in Venezuela or Colombia.
C5! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 03:37 PM   #218
bananaman
transcontimental
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Madison, Wisconsin and/or Panama, Panama
Oddometer: 6,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by C5! View Post
Why does he always have to try to sell something? Vendors are supposed to confine their selling to their vendor threads.
__________________
Baja 1000 Countdown: 25 days.
bananaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:01 PM   #219
MaRc_FROST
Lacks Credibility
 
MaRc_FROST's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Panama
Oddometer: 35
Back on Topic

THIRD PARTY INFO!!! I AM NOT SAYING THIS IS TRUE - JUST HEARD IT!

Ok all,

There are a few guys here looking to head down to Colombia and having issues, I am trying to hook them up with Stahlratte as they are the only ones that can get it done it seems (to all you who hated on me earlier - ahem - I am 100% neutral!)

Ok, so these guys were going to catch the cargo ship from Portobelo to La Miel and then a lancha to Turbo. They are now looking for a new option for 2 reasons.

#1 Concern about being stuck in La Miel and subject to highway robbery by unscrupulous lancha owners (very likely!)

#2 Apparently another rider just went down south from this area and then caught a lancha into Turbo with his bike where he was informed by Colombian officials that his arrival was illegal, fined $1500 and sent back to Panama.

Now, I know that I have said everything I post is factual... this does not fall under that category! This is entirely hearsay and the reports from thrid party info passed onto riders in the area and then to me. Take this with a HUGE grain of salt!!! Moral of the story, be wary of trying to bypass the current regulations and do your research first!

Anyone who can confirm or deny this story please sound in... looking to find out one way or another!
MaRc_FROST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:41 AM   #220
bananaman
transcontimental
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Madison, Wisconsin and/or Panama, Panama
Oddometer: 6,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaRc_FROST View Post
THIRD PARTY INFO!!! I AM NOT SAYING THIS IS TRUE - JUST HEARD IT!

Ok all,

There are a few guys here looking to head down to Colombia and having issues, I am trying to hook them up with Stahlratte as they are the only ones that can get it done it seems (to all you who hated on me earlier - ahem - I am 100% neutral!)

Ok, so these guys were going to catch the cargo ship from Portobelo to La Miel and then a lancha to Turbo. They are now looking for a new option for 2 reasons.

#1 Concern about being stuck in La Miel and subject to highway robbery by unscrupulous lancha owners (very likely!)

#2 Apparently another rider just went down south from this area and then caught a lancha into Turbo with his bike where he was informed by Colombian officials that his arrival was illegal, fined $1500 and sent back to Panama.

Now, I know that I have said everything I post is factual... this does not fall under that category! This is entirely hearsay and the reports from thrid party info passed onto riders in the area and then to me. Take this with a HUGE grain of salt!!! Moral of the story, be wary of trying to bypass the current regulations and do your research first!

Anyone who can confirm or deny this story please sound in... looking to find out one way or another!
I think Colombia is a country of laws, with rights of due-process. So if he got fined $1500, did he have to pay without going to court? This would be exactly the kind of situation for calling your embassy.

I'd check with the Colombia embassy and try to get permission before trying anything off-route.
__________________
Baja 1000 Countdown: 25 days.
bananaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:13 AM   #221
MaRc_FROST
Lacks Credibility
 
MaRc_FROST's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Panama
Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman View Post
I think Colombia is a country of laws, with rights of due-process. So if he got fined $1500, did he have to pay without going to court? This would be exactly the kind of situation for calling your embassy.

I'd check with the Colombia embassy and try to get permission before trying anything off-route.
I agree 100% with contacting the embassy first. You may get away with it or you may not... and who knows what the outcome will be if you are on the wrong side of that wager.

As for how exactly the process went down I have no idea. As I said this is a story I heard last night and may be nothing more than an emerging urban legend... or perhaps a high level conspiracy orchestrated by a diabolical genius captain placing moles in Portobelo using me as a mere pawn in his quest for Global (or at least Panama to Colombia) domination of the bike transport game - STAAAAHHHLLLLLRAAAATTE!!!!
MaRc_FROST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:29 AM   #222
tedder
irregular
 
tedder's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Los Angeles (ktown)
Oddometer: 8,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman View Post
Why does he always have to try to sell something? Vendors are supposed to confine their selling to their vendor threads.
Why do you always have to freak out about it? Use the 'report' button, let the mods deal with it. He's helping with information about the thread, but navel-gazing like this helps nobody.
tedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:05 AM   #223
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico
 
Airhead Wrangler's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Back in Seattle, FINALLY
Oddometer: 6,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaRc_FROST View Post
#2 Apparently another rider just went down south from this area and then caught a lancha into Turbo with his bike where he was informed by Colombian officials that his arrival was illegal, fined $1500 and sent back to Panama.
This could also be a matter of putting bikes and riders in separate boats. They've forced people to use two separate lancha's before in the past. Not sure if this was out of legal necessity or if they just made it up to charge someone for two boats. Somehow when I did it we got past with 6 bikes and riders in one boat. We didn't just sneak through either. They stopped at the army check point entering Turbo and checked us in. So I know they've let it slide in the past. Could you try to get details on how they did the crossing? Was it bike and rider in two separate boats or together?
__________________
R80ST Gets The HPN Treatment
Seattle to TDF on an airhead

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:08 AM   #224
MaRc_FROST
Lacks Credibility
 
MaRc_FROST's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Panama
Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
Could you try to get details on how they did the crossing? Was it bike and rider in two separate boats or together?
I will try, but the person whom informed me of the situation was not there, only passed info to me as it came up North and affected his crossing into Colombia.

He is still around and I will see what else I can gather.
MaRc_FROST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:54 PM   #225
bananaman
transcontimental
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Madison, Wisconsin and/or Panama, Panama
Oddometer: 6,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedder View Post
Why do you always have to freak out about it? Use the 'report' button, let the mods deal with it. He's helping with information about the thread, but navel-gazing like this helps nobody.
Because I find his spam to be extremely annoying, and I take it personally because in PMs while setting up the Shipping sticky he lied to me. I had tried to help him. Now that I u derstand him better, I despise his tactics.
__________________
Baja 1000 Countdown: 25 days.
bananaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014