ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Latin America
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-23-2012, 06:05 AM   #376
Yappei
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Costa Rica
Oddometer: 29
link to the source of the news about ferry

https://www.panamatrails.com/spanish...s-article-1686

and a link to a description of the ferry from the company that owns it.

http://www.hellenicseaways.gr/index.asp?a_id=991

For reservations:

Para mayor información
Teléfonos: +507 209-2000 / +507 380-0900
E-mail: reservas@panaferry.com
Yappei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:44 AM   #377
Chiriqui Charlie OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Panama Highlands
Oddometer: 355
Look at the date on your article, a lot has happened since then. Basically, the governments put the kabosh on the project.

Chiriqui Charlie screwed with this post 10-23-2012 at 07:52 AM
Chiriqui Charlie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:51 AM   #378
Yappei
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Costa Rica
Oddometer: 29
Yep, your absolutely correct - no ferry.

Yep, your absolutely correct. I should have realized this when I saw the notification. As a guess, it was probably a company promoting itself before it had permissions. I presume trying to find investors in the process or lobbying for something. Typical.

I live in San Jose, Costa Rica and called the company today. Something else I should have done before posting. They were very clear in telling me it never got started.

Too bad.
Yappei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:29 AM   #379
MaRc_FROST
Lacks Credibility
 
MaRc_FROST's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Panama
Oddometer: 35
Close this thread!!!!

The current state of this thread is as useless as the ferry is dead in the proverbial water (as it never saw any... get it?)

Suggest this is closed to further posts in order to preserve what little relevant information can be gleamed from the 26 pages of off topic, political ranting, personal attacks and mis-information.

Should this be the very last post here is a very quick synopsis for anyone trying to peruse:

- THE FERRY IS NOT HAPPENING!!!!! Confirmation emails directly with the company are contained within this thread.
- Option #1 - FLY between and ship using Girag
- Option #2 - SHIP - meet up with others in a similar situation and split a container from Colon, people with cars do it all the time and can probably get a bike in there also.
- Option #3- SAIL with Stahlratte or similar (Stahlratte being the experienced and favoured option), I truly recommend seeing San Blas! As an expat living very close by I can attest to the value added by checking out the 360 some odd islands.
- Option #4 - POST on this thread an old article, some information heard from the guy who babysits your cousin's dog or other just as reliable source(s) and then become belligerent when people who follow this, and some who live within 30 mins of the port, tell you it is not happening.

Option #4 seems to be the preferred method of choice, a phenomena that leads me to a lack of confidence in the DOT certification.

MaRc_FROST screwed with this post 10-25-2012 at 08:43 AM
MaRc_FROST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:43 AM   #380
ADV Fool
Gnarly Adventurer
 
ADV Fool's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Plumas Lake, CA
Oddometer: 449
Informative & Funny Too!!!

Nicely done. . . . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaRc_FROST View Post
The current state of this thread is as useless as the ferry is dead in the proverbial water (as it never saw any... get it?)

Suggest this is closed to further posts in order to preserve what little relevant information can be gleamed from the 26 pages of off topic, political ranting, personal attacks and mis-information.

Should this be the very last post here is a very quick synopsis for anyone trying to peruse:

- THE FERRY IS NOT HAPPENING!!!!! Confirmation emails directly with the company are contained within this thread.
- Option #1 - FLY between and ship using Girag
- Option #2 - SHIP - meet up with others in a similar situation and split a container from Colon, people with cars do it all the time and can probably get a bike in there also.
- Option #3- SAIL with Stahlratte or similar (Stahlratte being the experienced and favoured option), I truly recommend seeing San Blas! As an expat living very close by I can attest to the value added by checking out the 360 some odd islands.
- Option #4 - POST on this thread an old article, some information heard from the guy who babysits your cousin's dog or other just as reliable source(s) and then become belligerent when people who follow this, and some who live within 30 mins of the port, tell you it is not happening.

Option #4 seems to be the preferred method of choice, a phenomena that leads me to a lack of confidence in the DOT certification.
__________________
'Grand Fool' for the 'Group of Fools'
Old Fat Fart
2014 BMW R1200 GSA LC
2010 HD Ultra "Limited"
ADV Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:44 PM   #381
bananaman
transcontimental
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Madison, Wisconsin and/or Panama, Panama
Oddometer: 7,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaRc_FROST View Post
The current state of this thread is as useless as the ferry is dead in the proverbial water (as it never saw any... get it?)

Suggest this is closed to further posts in order to preserve what little relevant information can be gleamed from the 26 pages of off topic, political ranting, personal attacks and mis-information.

Should this be the very last post here is a very quick synopsis for anyone trying to peruse:

- THE FERRY IS NOT HAPPENING!!!!! Confirmation emails directly with the company are contained within this thread.
- Option #1 - FLY between and ship using Girag
- Option #2 - SHIP - meet up with others in a similar situation and split a container from Colon, people with cars do it all the time and can probably get a bike in there also.
- Option #3- SAIL with Stahlratte or similar (Stahlratte being the experienced and favoured option), I truly recommend seeing San Blas! As an expat living very close by I can attest to the value added by checking out the 360 some odd islands.
- Option #4 - POST on this thread an old article, some information heard from the guy who babysits your cousin's dog or other just as reliable source(s) and then become belligerent when people who follow this, and some who live within 30 mins of the port, tell you it is not happening.

Option #4 seems to be the preferred method of choice, a phenomena that leads me to a lack of confidence in the DOT certification.
Yeah... well, this being the Latin America forum, and this being advrider... wtf, dude. Like we give a shit about closing useless threads? This thread isn't useless. And any stupid ff who reads it and thinks there might be a ferry probably deserves to get an ass-handing.

This being the Latin America forum, derived from the once-upon-a-time when all the Latin America was part of Outer Darkness, which meant that threads about Latin America were lumped in with threads about Australia and Africa.

This being the Latin America forum, wtf, it's not all about education. It's also entertainment. Infotainment.

If you really want to know shit, you have to actually go there and see for yourself.

Me, I know that you can't believe anything you read on the internet, or see on TV. I'm a perfect example: a few days ago, I was on the local news, and they gave me a title of "Cattle Farmer." Obviously, my real title is "Advrider God." So there I was on TV telling people why they should vote early. I was actually completely full of shit.

There- how'd I do. Political rant, insults, conspiracy theory, personal attack: did I miss anything?
bananaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:51 PM   #382
BeachGuy
Alabama & Costa Rica
 
BeachGuy's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Back in Alabama!
Oddometer: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman View Post
Yeah... well, this being the Latin America forum, and this being advrider... wtf, dude. Like we give a shit about closing useless threads? This thread isn't useless. And any stupid ff who reads it and thinks there might be a ferry probably deserves to get an ass-handing.

This being the Latin America forum, derived from the once-upon-a-time when all the Latin America was part of Outer Darkness, which meant that threads about Latin America were lumped in with threads about Australia and Africa.

This being the Latin America forum, wtf, it's not all about education. It's also entertainment. Infotainment.

If you really want to know shit, you have to actually go there and see for yourself.

Me, I know that you can't believe anything you read on the internet, or see on TV. I'm a perfect example: a few days ago, I was on the local news, and they gave me a title of "Cattle Farmer." Obviously, my real title is "Advrider God." So there I was on TV telling people why they should vote early. I was actually completely full of shit.

There- how'd I do. Political rant, insults, conspiracy theory, personal attack: did I miss anything?
Nah, you got it all covered.

Wait, I forgot how about some bigotry remarks. We can always ship them on the magical ferry to nowhere.

I can't believe that now your a political consultant/pundanat. How's the pay?
__________________
BeachGuy
2010 Ride Report: Orange Beach, AL to Jaco Beach, Costa Rica
2011 Ride Report: Costa Rica to Panama back to Costa Rica
2014 Ride Report: Ring of Ireland in 30 days
One of the beautiful things about riding solo is the quality of the social experience.
BeachGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:36 PM   #383
bananaman
transcontimental
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Madison, Wisconsin and/or Panama, Panama
Oddometer: 7,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachGuy View Post
Nah, you got it all covered.

Wait, I forgot how about some bigotry remarks. We can always ship them on the magical ferry to nowhere.

I can't believe that now your a political consultant/pundanat. How's the pay?
My dad- he lived his whole life, from when he was 19 until he died this summer, half in Panama, half in Wisconsin. He married my mother, who is Panamanian. My Panama family is mixed with just about everything. For example, my grandmother was born in Jamaica. So I'm part Black, part some-kind-of-Latin-American-Indian, and part White. My sisters, three of them, are each married- one to a guy who claims to be African American, one to a guy who's half Swiss, half Trinidadian, and one to an Italian from Detroit. So one of my sister's husbands, the one who claims to be Black, says to my dad, "Max (I'm Max Jr, and they call me Moxie), YOU ARE PREJUDICED." So my dad says to him, "If you'd lived with 'em as long as I have, you'd be prejudiced too." Me, I have thick skin. You can call me just about anything and I'll probably agree with you. Just don't call me a Republican.

In Panama, once upon a time, I was a for-real consultant. (This is actually true.) I had a job working for Merrill Lynch and my title was "Relationship Manager." My role, my actual what-I-did, was to consult with the Panama Government on how to manage their external debt. The pay was obscene.
bananaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:48 AM   #384
makinwaves
Beastly Adventurer
 
makinwaves's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Travelling in South America!
Oddometer: 1,885
Hi everyone. I'm looking for information regarding the ferry between Panama and Colombia. I heard you can take a ferry now and am really interested. Where do I catch it and how much does it cost? So cool, can't wait! And can't believe they actually have a ferry running now!!! Thanks in advance for any info!!!
makinwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:36 AM   #385
Chiriqui Charlie OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Panama Highlands
Oddometer: 355
Hey makinwaves, why don't you just read a little of this thrtead??
Chiriqui Charlie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:47 AM   #386
BeachGuy
Alabama & Costa Rica
 
BeachGuy's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Back in Alabama!
Oddometer: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiriqui Charlie View Post
Hey makinwaves, why don't you just read a little of this thrtead??
Charlie, I went back through the whole tread and counted 6 pictures of different boats in 385 posts, you know what they say "If it has pictures it must be TRUE".
__________________
BeachGuy
2010 Ride Report: Orange Beach, AL to Jaco Beach, Costa Rica
2011 Ride Report: Costa Rica to Panama back to Costa Rica
2014 Ride Report: Ring of Ireland in 30 days
One of the beautiful things about riding solo is the quality of the social experience.
BeachGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:45 PM   #387
makinwaves
Beastly Adventurer
 
makinwaves's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Travelling in South America!
Oddometer: 1,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiriqui Charlie View Post
Hey makinwaves, why don't you just read a little of this thrtead??


Hey Charlie...I was just trying to be funny and stir the pot a little. This thread has been too funny to just let it die.

Cheers.
makinwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:59 AM   #388
Nttra
I lost my OLD posts!
 
Nttra's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Not here
Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiriqui Charlie View Post
I don't think I would ride Central America if I wanted to tour South America. The border crossings are a PITA, it often takes less time to ride across the country than to cross the border! Since you have to ship the bike anyway, a better option might be to ship the bike directly to Colombia from Mexico or the US, then spend your time touring the bigger countries with fewer crossings. Or even fly down and buy a bike there.

I think the very same. I guess the economic costs and frustration going border crossing each country and the Darien Gap TWICE (since I somewhat expect to return home someday), outweigh shipping From point A to B.

That's why I decided to ship the bike, and myself from Miami straight to Colombia, and spend the savings on coffee and relaxing at the mountains and the beaches at that paradisaical country. From there I expect to head down all the way to Tierra de Fuego, take the due picture, and go back to Buenos Aires, and decide there where to go next.
__________________
Am I an adult now? When did this happen? And how do I make it stop?
Nttra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:40 AM   #389
GuateRider
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Antigua , Guatemala
Oddometer: 1,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nttra View Post
I think the very same. I guess the economic costs and frustration going border crossing each country and the Darien Gap TWICE (since I somewhat expect to return home someday), outweigh shipping From point A to B.

That's why I decided to ship the bike, and myself from Miami straight to Colombia. From there I expect to head down all the way to Tierra de Fuego, take the due picture, and go back to Buenos Aires,

IMHO skipping Mexico and Central America is a huge mistake !!! You have no idea what you would be missing .
If border crossings are frustrating or not ,depends exclusively on you and your attitude .
Then again if it's just about getting from A to B in order to take the "due picture" and get the hell out from there......
__________________
Guatemala-Alaska-Guatemala
GuateRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:30 AM   #390
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere
 
Two Moto Kiwis's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Wanaka, New Zealand, Currently RTWing
Oddometer: 3,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuateRider View Post
IMHO skipping Mexico and Central America is a huge mistake !!! You have no idea what you would be missing .
If border crossings are frustrating or not ,depends exclusively on you and your attitude .
Then again if it's just about getting from A to B in order to take the "due picture" and get the hell out from there......
I couldn't agree more, borders are just part of the play, just allow yourself plenty of time so no stress and treat it as an excursion rather than a job.
__________________
Andi (oveja negra) & Ellen (chica amarilla)...Two Moto Kiwi Grüvers .....riding Maya somewhere ..Una Chimba
Two Moto Kiwis Home Page ..Danger Is Real ... Fear Is Optional
For More Of Two Moto Kiwis Photos
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014