Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2012, 06:01 PM   #61
tedder
irregular

Oddometer: 8,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by markharf View Post
Did you just deliberately post a link to the very page your link is on? If so, the theological implications alone are staggering. If not, maybe you want to try again.
Threads were merged, sparky.
tedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:10 PM   #62
CheckerdD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,267
My experience last fall was that Columbia was one of the easier countries to deal with on border, insurance, and there police were friendly and appeared to be honest. I doubt there will be any problems in those departments once the ferry gets established. If your stuck in Cartagena there are some ideas of things to do over at the US Secret Service website. Dave
Old 04-25-2012, 07:03 PM   #63
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by markharf View Post
Did you just deliberately post a link to the very page your link is on? If so, the theological implications alone are staggering. If not, maybe you want to try again.

Mark
I posted that post and link on Ride Reports ... where a Ferry thread had just popped up. Now it's here? Things happen fast here! Youzer's Inspector Gadget!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:32 PM   #64
GastonUSAChile
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by panamapassage View Post
Update from member Bph555 on Expedition Portal

Hi everybody,
We have been in Panama City, Panama for a few weeks, trying to get to Colombia with our landcruiser.
After hearing the great news about the new ferry, we decided to hang out here and possibly make a reservation.
We found out, the adventure2000 company would be handling the reservations in Panama. After several calls to them it was obvious that they knew little about requirements for the vehicle to board the boat in Panama or anything about Colombia etc etc....however, they were very quick to point out that we would need a reservation,and would need to make full payment for the vehicle,passengers,and taxes within 48 hours.
The operator said the ferry would definitely begin service on May 10th.
We had been hearing from other travelers,who were interested in the ferry as well, about there experiences with Adventure2000.Some had reported about a onward flight reservation requirement out of Panama. Subsequent calls to the reservation office revealed no such requirements, for "in-transit" ticket purchasers.
Adventure2000, eventually told us that we would need a police inspection (among other requirements) for our vehicle.But...when we arrived at the police inspection office,they all laughed at the prospect of the ferry starting on may 10th. They said "there is no possibility the ferry will begin service on may 10th".
So...today, my wife and I, decided to go to the ferry office downtown and talk to these people face to face. Keep in mind- my wife is a native Spanish speaker and tends to be quite forward.After much pressure and prodding- It was revealed to us that the vehicle ferry is not going to happen anytime soon! Mostly lies lies lies and more lies.
They are having problems with the Colombian government,allowing vehicles and passengers on the same vessel etc. etc.

more:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...New-ferry-news!

PanamaPassage,

Very good and we appreciate your findings . It is the same feeling of what I been saying on previous entries. I wouldn't waist my time on trying to figure out when the Ferry is going to happen. It is not going to happen soon the way they say, passengers, trucks,bikes and even containers (ahahaha!! containers?).
Colombia have strong regulations on imports and exports all missed with their own weird ways of work at a port . To my standards and experience is not going to work.
You cannot mix apples and pears in these countries with all the complications of their ways of operation.
Somebody mentioned above that it could be like the Spain-Morocco ferry. Yes it could but, that's is another story. Spain knows on how to treat the system and Morocco needs tourism. There is a well established treaty there and Morocco was a Spanish colony back in the days.

What I don't understand, Colombia have issues on mixing passenger and cargo on the same vessel. Well, this the nature of a Ferry right? then why they didn't figure out that before when the project was presented in a big fair/convention in Bogota?. hmmmmmm!! sound a really bad organization to me.

US SHIPPING Now open: JUNE-JULY 2014 Share Container CHILE to MIAMI or HOUSTON
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=741582 www.samericaxplorer.net
GastonUSAChile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:41 PM   #65
SS in Vzla.
Totally Normal? I'm not!

Oddometer: 1,157
More info from this thread:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=770001

This was posted yesterday... Either the ferry actually started and is all booked out, or they just say it's booked and have "tentatively" postponed the maiden voyage for June 4th...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorLaTierra View Post
So the company that will run the new ferry between Panama and Colombia says they will be up and running May 10. Unfortunately they have no website with up to date information, just a bunch of ads in all the newspapers here. My only option was to drive to Panama City and go to the office. A very pretty girl sat down with me and gave me all the details.

They are booked until June 4th.

With a bike it costs around 350 plus taxes for the bike which they are still working out, could be another 200 bucks she said. So I am stuck looking for a sailboat last minute since I didnt arrange anything else.

The Hostel here, Lunas Castle advertises parking on thier website but they have none. My bike is parked on the street but I think it will be fine. The ferry will be running a few times a week though, I think in a few months they will have everything worked out but for now its not the dream come true I had hoped for.

I had a blast crossing Central America and I will post some pics today or tomorrow.

If you are curious about the Ferry, and dont live here in Panama City, try emailing them at victor@panaferry.com
Old 04-29-2012, 11:03 AM   #66
PorLaTierra
Por La Tierra

Oddometer: 129
If it sounds too good to be true...

It has been almost a week since I was at the Aventuras2000 office and from what I have heard elsewhere, the possibility of a ferry is messing everything up. The officials at the Cartagena port have turned back at least one sailboat with tourists crossing from Panama, they are getting strict and being a-holes. I am poking my nose around in Portobelo to see what needs to happen to make the crossing. Basically the brokers in Cartagena (the guys who help the sailboats with paperwork) have said yes than no than yes for motorcycles. The sailboat captains may not want to risk taking a bike on board only to get turned back once reaching Colombia.

If that happens you can either try to get dropped off in Puerto Obaldia and take a Lancha to Turbo ($50) or you can go back to Panama and try again, $900 bucks later,

I am going to have a drink tonight with Michel, the captian of the Independence. He has been in Panama City working out the details of his Visa and is back in Portobelo with some information and some "news" for me.

2 months of riding just to arrive in Colombia with my motorcycle, I'm so close! Something good better happen soon or I am going to get crazy.

Thanks moderators for merging my earlier post, I did not mean to be that guy.

If anyone is in Panama trying to get to Colombia with thier bike, PM me and we can figure it out together.
PorLaTierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:29 AM   #67
PorLaTierra
Por La Tierra

Oddometer: 129
Cargo vs Passengers

I forgot to mention, the confusion is due to the fact that motorcycles are considered cargo and its difficult to mix cargo with passengers which the sailboats have been doing sort of under the radar for years.
PorLaTierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:15 PM   #68
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,324
I vote that you go try to find that "Mad Dog" character with the DC-3. That sounds way too weird to pass up.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:38 PM   #69
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,576
I was at the La Palma airstrip and hopped a flight back to Allbrook via some islands in the Pacific. If this was the right La Palma I didn't see any evidence of a DC3, but I did see some significant damage to the control tower so maybe MadDog finally crashed out

Not much else out on that strip:

John in Bogota, passport menyana Damn crazy Colombian holidays.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:28 PM   #70
markharf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 537
Here's another perspective on the possibility of May (or June) ferry sailings:

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hub...-service-63720

Scroll to last couple of posts for photo rumored to be the ship in question.

Mark
markharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:29 PM   #71
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister View Post
I was at the La Palma airstrip and hopped a flight back to Allbrook via some islands in the Pacific....
Good post.
All new stuff.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:23 PM   #72
Chiriqui Charlie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
Latest news

This just in:Immigration Will Be Monitoring The Ferry From Cartagena to Panama

Monday, May 07 2012 @ 11:57 AM COT
Contributed by: Don Winner
Views: 81

The National Immigration Service will designate officials to work aboard the new ferry that will link Panama to Cartagena. A source from the within Immigration said they have deployed a group of inspectors who will check and verify the immigration documents of travelers aboard the ship. The source said Immigration has also hired 100 new staff inspectors who will be deployed to areas where more personnel are needed. The ferry will make three trips per week between Panama and Cartagena. (Prensa) Editor's Comment: I expect this new ferry service will become the method of choice for perpetual tourists to renew their immigration status in Panama. A round trip ticket will cost $99 dollars, and there will be another $95 dollars in port fees and taxes, for a total of $194 - still less than half the cost of flying. There will be three round-trips between Panama and Cartagena per week. The ferry will travel mostly at night, leaving at about 6:00 pm from either Colon or Cartagena, and arriving at about 6:00 am. The company operating this service will be providing a bus service from Panama City to the Colon 2000 port, so you don't have to worry about leaving your car parked and unattended (in Colon). I think this will turn into a sort of "party boat" with people making the trip just to have a good time - and to meet the hundreds of Colombian chicks who are bound to become regulars of this floating hootenanny - it's going to be a "trip" in more ways than one.
Chiriqui Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:48 PM   #73
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
If they really had their shit together both panama and colombia could put customs and immigration offices ON THE BOAT. Take care of all paperwork and inspections enroute. Only in a perfect world I guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiriqui Charlie View Post
The National Immigration Service will designate officials to work aboard the new ferry that will link Panama to Cartagena. A source from the within Immigration said they have deployed a group of inspectors who will check and verify the immigration documents of travelers aboard the ship.
Apparently, Panama gets their immigration enforcement policy ideas from adventure rider. I'll require compensation as a consultant. Airfare to Medellin would be acceptable. Thanks.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:49 AM   #74
GastonUSAChile
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
Many people had contacted the ferry company and apparently a R/T ticket to be mandatory . There is another thread at DRIVE THE AMERICAS, regarding this matter.

An today is May 10th, WHERE'S THE FERRY?

Also there is a PDF file from the company at the Horizons thread , where are mentioned details for passengers, allowed luggage, meals etc... Never mention anything about Ferry matters such vehicles, etc..
It is clear that the vehicles issue is not being resolved yet or clarified.
If the company is selling R/T , why a flying ticket for foreigners is required ? hmmmmm!!!

US SHIPPING Now open: JUNE-JULY 2014 Share Container CHILE to MIAMI or HOUSTON
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=741582 www.samericaxplorer.net

GastonUSAChile screwed with this post 05-10-2012 at 10:08 AM
GastonUSAChile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:48 PM   #75
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 6,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by GastonUSAChile View Post
Many people had contacted the ferry company and apparently a R/T ticket to be mandatory . There is another thread at DRIVE THE AMERICAS, regarding this matter.

An today is May 10th, WHERE'S THE FERRY?

Also there is a PDF file from the company at the Horizons thread , where are mentioned details for passengers, allowed luggage, meals etc... Never mention anything about Ferry matters such vehicles, etc..
It is clear that the vehicles issue is not being resolved yet or clarified.
If the company is selling R/T , why a flying ticket for foreigners is required ? hmmmmm!!!
So do you spam HU too?
bananaman is offline   Reply With Quote