User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2012, 03:43 PM   #1
btcn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Projectors?

Hey y'all, so I'm fixin to build me a home theater in my bedroom.

I figure the best TV is a projector, kinda like them video projectors used at office meetings.

I'm always love these things. The higher end ones look nearly crystial clear, and pleanty bright even in a light up room.

In a house I used to live in years ago we used to have one that come with the house. It was a viewsonic one I believe LCD. Had a huge screen that come out of the ceiling with an electric, and the projector is mounted on the ceiling with a remote. It really was awesome.

But sadly we made the mistake to leave it there when we moved! It was a dim light by then though since its worn out and they's expansive for a new bulb.

So now, I want to make a home theater in my bedroom. There ain't no basement and its the darkest room. Also, I have a bed that save room its way up and a desk in it a modified bunkbed. The room is also huge, with real high ceilings. Plenty big.

The winders will be covered up, either by tinfoil and white carbboard boxes to make it nearly pitch black. The room is awesome, I put an AC in the door thats super quiet.

The room is actually almost set up. I made a cheap screen with paper its about 100 inches, but eventually I'll buy the good one. I have a little station with a mini fridge, movie style desktop popcorn machine, icee machine, and a water cooler. I have a good Onkyo surround sound with a big subwoofer. Theres a entertainment shelf with a RCA big TV and the screens above it, and a Tivo in it, and a gamer machine with an Xbox and playstation. Then theres a shelf back yonder with a movies in it. Then the projectors back there too with a long cable. Eventually I'm fixin to mount it in the wall but its temporary. Theres also a couch for 3 people.

So, I bought me a Projector at the Flea market about a month ago, a Toshiba TDP-T45. I tested it at the menu there. But damnit when I brung it home there ain't no color! Its worth lots I paid only $150, they's worth $1,000 used on ebay and Amazon for this model. The problem is the color wheel. I think its a little blurry too something ain't right.

So this weekend we's going to the flea market try to find another one. This time test it's video and quality+color though. But its probably a temporary one if its not a super good one.

Eventually I'll get a good one. Any suggestions? I don't need the best out there. 2D is good enough. I want about 2K Lumens or so. Don't care about HDMI. I think LCD is good but DLP is ok but want a 3 chip if possible. Want about a 3,000 hour or more bulb life. Any of y'all had one? What models is good? I'm fixin to spend about up to $1,000 someday but the cheaper is ok. And I preciate any other ideas to make my theater more badass! Thanks!

btcn screwed with this post 04-10-2012 at 03:50 PM
btcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:58 PM   #2
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,305
Here's the low down on a projector.

DO NOT buy an lcd projector for presentations like powerpoint. They look like shit warmed over with a video signal input to them. Buy a DLP projector or a projector listed as a Home Theater projector and make sure it is an HD projector with a minimum NATIVE resolution of 720p if not 1920X1080 which is full HD. Use only the HDMI input. and buy as bright a projector and as good a screen as you can and don'[t use a bedsheet for a screen or a white wall.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:09 PM   #3
Fe Man
I am Iron Moran!

Oddometer: 7,831
invest in spell check first so you don't wind up with a Coby projector..
Old 04-10-2012, 05:41 PM   #4
GSWayne
Old Guy nOOb

Oddometer: 2,944
You might want to check out the avsforum. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=68
Probably more relevant info than advrider. I have an Epson 8100 LCD unit http://www.amazon.com/Epson-PowerLit.../dp/B002T0KTSWthat is full HD that I like and had a Sharp DLP before that that was also decent it was only 1024x768 but still nice to watch. I used a 4'x8' (trimmed to 16:9 aspect ratio) piece of 1/2" Gatorboard that is hinged to the ceiling for a screen. I found I really like a FLAT screen better than one with any wrinkles in it. I painted one a light grey foam core screen, but the one I have now and like is just the original white color of the Gator board. I buried a magnet in the ceiling and a piece of steel in the bottom edge of the screen so it will stick up to the ceiling or I can swing it down to watch. I have a little tab sticking out of the bottom of the screen I hook with a stick to pull it down or stick it back on the ceiling. I made my own hinges for the other edge. I don't see a big difference between component or HDMI input quality, but I am not a video fanatic.

Don't bring a motorcycle to a car fight
GSWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:11 AM   #5
RonS
Out there...

Oddometer: 18,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
Here's the low down on a projector.

DO NOT buy an lcd projector for presentations like powerpoint. They look like shit warmed over with a video signal input to them. Buy a DLP projector or a projector listed as a Home Theater projector and make sure it is an HD projector with a minimum NATIVE resolution of 720p if not 1920X1080 which is full HD. Use only the HDMI input. and buy as bright a projector and as good a screen as you can and don'[t use a bedsheet for a screen or a white wall.
The trouble with older DLP's in the lower price range is that they often suffer from the "rainbow" effect of the color wheel. A lot of people have trouble watching them. If you're paying 200-400 dollars for an older one it will have the issue. These days it is difficult to tell HD projectors apart. LCD's have good black levels and DLP's don't suffer from the color wheel problem any longer. I've had both in the past but currently have an LCD. Pretty much all LCD and DLP projectors are full resolution HD at this point in the 2k price range and both are stunning to watch. Even a 2-4 year old 720p projector in either LCD or DLP is stunning. But then I'm a big fan of projectors.
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:18 PM   #6
btcn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks for the replies!

Sniper X yea eventually I'm fixin to get a real nice home theater projector, like $500-$2,000 or so. For now, I'll get what I can at the flea market Sunday if theres any for sale. We done had an LCD that wasn't home theater was on the ceiling looks alright. Not hi def but reasonable. But thanks for the tips.

Fe Man what's a coby projector? And I don't have that bad a spelling, if so its just laziness.

GSWayne yea I'll get a nice screen. Right now I just use a huge pieces of paper, that work pretty well, a lot better than the wall. I like your idea for the screen though. And I ain't a video fanatic neither so as long as its looks pretty clear is good enough for me.

RonS yea I've herd about that there rainbow affect. I don't know hopefully it don't bother me I herd it only bothers a few people to where they can hardly watch. For my used one oh well what can I do if its DLP? Better than no color at all! For my home theater I'll get a real good one so I won't have to worry about it.

But thanks y'all for the tips I'll be letting you know what happens.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:52 AM   #7
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonS View Post
The trouble with older DLP's in the lower price range is that they often suffer from the "rainbow" effect of the color wheel. A lot of people have trouble watching them. If you're paying 200-400 dollars for an older one it will have the issue. These days it is difficult to tell HD projectors apart. LCD's have good black levels and DLP's don't suffer from the color wheel problem any longer. I've had both in the past but currently have an LCD. Pretty much all LCD and DLP projectors are full resolution HD at this point in the 2k price range and both are stunning to watch. Even a 2-4 year old 720p projector in either LCD or DLP is stunning. But then I'm a big fan of projectors.
Projectors have come such a long way, that the home theater HD nativs versions look as good as come commercial grade projectors save for the brightness. And you don't need (much) brightness over 1500l in a controllable setting so 1500~2000l is fine for home use.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:54 AM   #8
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcn View Post
Thanks for the replies!

Sniper X yea eventually I'm fixin to get a real nice home theater projector, like $500-$2,000 or so. For now, I'll get what I can at the flea market Sunday if theres any for sale. We done had an LCD that wasn't home theater was on the ceiling looks alright. Not hi def but reasonable. But thanks for the tips.

Fe Man what's a coby projector? And I don't have that bad a spelling, if so its just laziness.

GSWayne yea I'll get a nice screen. Right now I just use a huge pieces of paper, that work pretty well, a lot better than the wall. I like your idea for the screen though. And I ain't a video fanatic neither so as long as its looks pretty clear is good enough for me.

RonS yea I've herd about that there rainbow affect. I don't know hopefully it don't bother me I herd it only bothers a few people to where they can hardly watch. For my used one oh well what can I do if its DLP? Better than no color at all! For my home theater I'll get a real good one so I won't have to worry about it.

But thanks y'all for the tips I'll be letting you know what happens.
You can't be from Morgan Hill originally. I have been there a lot and people there don't talk like they are from Alabama! You gotta be from the deep south originally right? I aint hackin, just askin.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:59 PM   #9
btcn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
You can't be from Morgan Hill originally. I have been there a lot and people there don't talk like they are from Alabama! You gotta be from the deep south originally right? I aint hackin, just askin.

Yea I ain't from here. I ain't from the deep south, from the tip of southern Ohio, in a small town called Portsmouth, its kind of in the Appalachian mountains and everybody talk sort of like that up there, and my moms from Louisiana and lived in southern Ohio a lot of her life and spent some time in the deeper south. Some of my family's also from Kentucky and I spent some time there too. Also, most of my family talks like this. When I type I CAN type good, but sometimes I just get lazy, and it makes it go by faster, you know?

I don't mind you asking. Probably like WTF right? Most people think I'm Beverly Hillbillies or a poser or something when they find out I live here. I won't live too much longer in California [or Californny!]. Its got real nice weather, beutiful state to ride in [can't get much better!]. But damn some of these people! Man. And they's building so many damn houses, I swear one day its gonna be one big city, from San Jose to San Francisco! We already is destroying much of the farmland here in Morgan Hill. When I first come here, It's real nice small town, about 30,000 population. Kinda a little country setting. Just perfect. Now, here we is, 50,000 people and climbing! Most of the nice land ruined, with shit houses! Yea have cities, but stop destroying so much land! Whats next probably San Martin?

I'm won't be staying here too long though. While its beutiful state, I'll probably go back to Ohio or Kentucky, its where all my kin's at, and MUCH less uptight people. People treat each other much better there for the most part. Also, the law makers here is sometimes such dicks. Its just too uptight and fast pace out here for me.

I love the deep south too. Been there, not tooo much but I like it there a lot. I just personally like the people, the scenery, etc. Espically the mountain folk, they live a much slower paced, simple life, there behind in technology. They treat eachother very well, and its a great community. Now not ALWAYS, but there is such thing as southern hospitality.

I'm not too into high technoology, but man do I like projectors! Its like a little box that makes a screen about as big as your walls can go! Pricy but awesome!
Old 04-14-2012, 07:35 AM   #10
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,554
I used to live in Morgan Hill... neat place... send me a mushroom shirt, if you will.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:09 PM   #11
btcn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa View Post
I used to live in Morgan Hill... neat place... send me a mushroom shirt, if you will.
Yea it is a neat place. For motorcycling, I honestly couldn't ask for a much better place. Great weather, never gets too cold, lots of seneic roots to ride, with ease access to Santa Cruz and highway 1.

While eventually I'll likely move, I'm gonna stay awhile and get in all the riding possible.

What kinda mushroom shirt if your serious?
Old 04-15-2012, 09:56 PM   #12
btcn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Success!

Well, I didn't find me none at the flea market. Theres one, but its some mexican he can't speak english, and he won't let me test it and if he does he's double the price! Its $60 he says he's charge $120 if he test it!

Get this. When I asked him if it works, he says, I don't know! Seriously? You own a projector yet you don't know if it works? Anyways, not worth my time if he ain't gonna let me try it and give money back if it ain't a workin.

Then there was another one, but it was an old Infocus one. But, I done asked him how much, he said in spanish I can't understand. But some mexican woman knows it was $5! But she got it before I had a chance. I know it was an old POS, but still for $5 probably could sell on ebay for like $20 for parts even if it don't work! But I'm sure it don't work and was worthless cause it's an old LCD. Not near what I was looking for but if it did work it'd be cool just for messing around. Oh well.

Other than those, there was non! Usually theres tons! Well, as y'all know how tools are, if your looking for something, you won't never find it. Just like a tool, your looking for in your garage, never find it, then go buy another you find 2 in your garage! I can see all the stuff I already had but looked for, but no projectors!

BUT, just screwin around at home later, checking Ebay+CL. CL some alright deals still very $. Ebay same some shitty cheapo ones cheap but those are old shitty ones. So I was looking Ebay, then I seed one pop up. Its a Mitsubishi. $100 from a well reputated dealer! It is refirbished. But, its a home theater DLP model. It is HD, I believe its a pretty good actual resolution. It does 1080i or whatever and its decent.

1,300 Lumens. 1,300 should be good for a pretty dark room right? I herd for a dedicated home theater 1,000 is even enough.

But, good reviews. Its a little bit older, I believe a 2007. But a 3,000 hour bulb life, a little more than average pretty good. And the reviews says they ain't got no problems with no rainbow effect on it. Its got a 1 year warranty, and 7 days to return if I pay to ship it if I don't like it. But hell, $99+$20 shipping, can't go wrong! With Ebay buyer protection on Paypal it should be legitiment.

But, I'll let y'all know how it works out. This should keep me satisfied till I can afford a real hi end one.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:53 PM   #13
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,554
Mushroom Mardigrass is coming up, isn't it?
Old 04-17-2012, 10:13 PM   #14
btcn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa View Post
Mushroom Mardigrass is coming up, isn't it?
I think so, I haven't been to one in a while. I think they's usually in the summer. If I find one then I could get ya one, I'll let ya know!

And, man, what, waiting despertly for my projector! It's 1300 lumens should be adequet, since I'm fixin to make a more theater like experance by darkening the room almost completely.

I don't have strict requirements for quality, as long as it looks reasonably well I'm happy.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:55 AM   #15
btcn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Its here, but sun bitch! I was riding yestarday, and missed them fedex! It was shewdgled for monday, but it was in Watsonville, but the tracking said it ain't out for Delivery yet. So I thought I could go for a 2-3 hour ride, actually went over Watsonville on 152, but then I come home and the notes on the door! DAMN!

So, I called them and I'll be picking it up on Monday. Man, it got here fast! The tracking was a bit behind is why!

Oh well, can't wait for Monday! I'll let y'all know how it works out. It seems to be a great model for its time. Not that old from 2007. But with HD and such, I's looking foward to it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: