Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2012, 08:59 PM   #1
UncleDirt OP
Uncivil to idiots.

Oddometer: 11,453
The Official GL500 Silverwing (CX too) Lovefest.

Having found no official thread, like the one for the XL600, I am just crazy enough about this bike to start an Official GL500 Silverwing thread of my own.

While there are other CX threads and a couple on the GL, there is not one unified thread for the opposed V-twin's of the 70's and 80's that Honda built. The engines are legendary, the bikes a sweet compromise, and the parts easy and cheap to get, yet there is no in house guru, no common knowledge card file for these vintage beauties.

I know there is a forum for these, a great one, but it tends toward the CX's and bobber modders.

So post yours up, all five of you, and let's see some classics and learn to give love to some great old rice.

Mine:

Which looks like this right now while a new mechanical seal for the waterpump is on order.

In the wild.

I did have to PineSol soak the carbs and blow them out when I first got it.

The bike had sat for 2 or more years with occasional rides around the block from the storage center, and both of the problems I'm experiencing are typical with a bike that has sat for a long time.

11K miles on it when I bought her, and I've put a grand on her since purchased. What a ball to ride. With that high rapping engine, it proves the adage that it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast.

What you got?
CX's welcome.

Dave
UncleDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:15 PM   #2
henrymartin
Mr. Tourguide

Oddometer: 3,470
Do I really want to put mine in here after I already have a thread with 10k views ? Mine is the CX (if I'm one of the 5 you mentioned). With any luck, we will have a new thread from a member in MA soon.

I won't pollute your thread with my completed project, unless asked to do so.

Other than that...I love the engine sound, love the response when I hit the throttle, loved taking it apart and pulling it out of the frame. i wish they were all this easy to drop out.

While you are in there (behind the rear cover), you may want to check your stator for wiring issues (they had weak insulation that was easy to damage, AND your cam chain guide/tensioner combo.

I've learned quite a bit about this bike when resurrecting the one I bought last year, and if I can help in any way...
henrymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:37 PM   #3
UncleDirt OP
Uncivil to idiots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrymartin View Post
Do I really want to put mine in here after I already have a thread with 10k views ? Mine is the CX (if I'm one of the 5 you mentioned). With any luck, we will have a new thread from a member in MA soon.

I won't pollute your thread with my completed project, unless asked to do so.

Other than that...I love the engine sound, love the response when I hit the throttle, loved taking it apart and pulling it out of the frame. i wish they were all this easy to drop out.

While you are in there (behind the rear cover), you may want to check your stator for wiring issues (they had weak insulation that was easy to damage, AND your cam chain guide/tensioner combo.

I've learned quite a bit about this bike when resurrecting the one I bought last year, and if I can help in any way...
Pollute away. Pics are pics and bikes are bikes. I personally can't get enough of pics of bikes.

Appreciate the tips, reading some good threads elsewhere on the three way freshen up once you take the motor out. Might start looking for post -82's since they supposedly dealt with the stator issue and some other things in those years.

Kind of a tight little group since they only made the Silverwing what, '81 - '84??

So, yeah, I figured with my luck, there are about all of 5 ADV'ers that love this iteration of the GL.

UncleDirt screwed with this post 04-10-2012 at 09:59 PM
Old 04-11-2012, 06:52 PM   #4
RustyStuff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 607
Man, I'd like to have one of those GL500's someday. All the nicetys of a OldWing, and a lighter bike combined.

Not too ugly eather.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:08 PM   #5
UncleDirt OP
Uncivil to idiots.

That's my love affair with them. All the Wing goodies, half the tonnage.
They are actually responsive and fun to ride down low in the corners.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:41 PM   #6
simestd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
My '82 GL500

Here are a few pictures of my 1982 GL500 taken last spring on an IBA SaddleSore up here in Alaska. I got the bike off Craigslist in February 2011 w/ 4,300 miles, all original. It had been sitting for a LONG time (like a decade), but fortunately was put away correctly so all it needed was fresh gas, oil, plugs, tires and front fork seals. She's just about to turn over 10,000 and my girls have named her Rootbeer :)

From 2011 Iditabutt
Just outside a famous landmark near Fairbanks

From 2011 Iditabutt

Yea, the suit is a little loud - but at least it keeps me warm, dry and visible! That's the pipeline in the background.

From 2011 Iditabutt
Another famous (bizarre) landmark many will recognize.

It's really surprising how much attention the bike draws. It seems to attract folks all the time who used to have one back in the day and have LOTS of great stories and fond memories of adventures past on the CX/GL500s

Here's some information about the designer and the history as well.

'82 XV750, '82 GL500, '02 DR650, '07 XT225

simestd screwed with this post 04-17-2012 at 08:10 AM Reason: Fixing picture links
simestd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:58 AM   #7
Unstable Rider
Monday again?

Oddometer: 2,470
Great thread here.

I had a full dress Silverwing model 1982, when it was just a couple years old. Wonderful machine, never needed anything, it was easy on tires, pleasant running.

I miss the "altimeter"

Unstable Rider screwed with this post 04-12-2012 at 08:07 AM
Unstable Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:15 AM   #8
bmwloco
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,349
Honda's answer to Moto Guzzi, the CX. Lots and lots of them are used for delivery bikes in 3rd world countries... they just keep running and running.

'66 BMW R60/2, '83 BMW R100RS,'81 BMW R100RS "Das Beast", '87 BMW R850R '77 Honda XL125
Airhead #371
bmwloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:05 AM   #9
UncleDirt OP
Uncivil to idiots.

"Altimeter"????

Oh, please explain that.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:36 PM   #10
TonyKZ1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 708
There's a 1980 CX500 model in the local area for sale, link, hmmm.. 22,xxx miles, windjammer fairing & hard bags for $1500.. I might have to go take a look at it.
Tony

TonyKZ1 screwed with this post 04-16-2012 at 08:30 AM Reason: added link to ad.
TonyKZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:45 PM   #11
UncleDirt OP
Uncivil to idiots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyKZ1 View Post
There's a 1980 CX500 model in the local area for sale, hmmm.. 22,xxx miles, windjammer fairing & hard bags for $1500.. I might have to go take a look at it.
Tony
Seems a tad rich, but if it's really clean and not been in storage?
Old 04-12-2012, 11:55 PM   #12
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,259
Gone but never forgotten. Best motorcycle I have ever owned, bar none.

L.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:37 PM   #13
Bar None
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyKZ1 View Post
There's a 1980 CX500 model in the local area for sale, hmmm.. 22,xxx miles, windjammer fairing & hard bags for $1500.. I might have to go take a look at it.
Tony
I would only buy a 1982 or later CX/GL/500/650 because of stator issues
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P sidecar
2015 Ural cT on order
Bar None is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:23 AM   #14
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 8,154
Never had a love for the 500s, but the 650 was a whole different story... I only wish they'd have imported the CX650 sport model that Canada had. Sweet looking and that stout engine.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:26 AM   #15
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 8,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyStuff View Post
Man, I'd like to have one of those GL500's someday. All the nicetys of a OldWing, and a lighter bike combined.

Not too ugly eather.

The bad part was they felt way heavier in general due to the engine being high in the frame. We sold numerous Gold Wings to CX/GL500 riders who felt the Wings were too heavy to handle. We just got them on the Wing and they found out... low center of gravity and easy to handle.

No way does this fault what the CXs were like. They were robust bikes. We got more high mileage CXs and GLs in the 500-650 group than any other bike short of the Gold Wing.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote