User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2015, 05:48 AM   #1
hzoltaan OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Cm200 cheap fixing up

I had some different bikes in the past, the most Jawa 350s in different versions, and for short periods some bigger more sophisticated bikes.
I kinda wished for some very basic bike, preferably 2 stroke, 1 cylinder, not too big, also not too tall (I'm short, damn it.).
I was actually without bike having only an old Jawa scooter purely for tinkering, when a colleague told me, that there's some "shiny" bike in storage left by her Brother. Had no idea what it was, only that it had to go ans they got fed up paying taxes for the vehicle.
Took a look, smiled, paid.

Soon I had the plan... I like simple bikes, right? This is pretty simple. Lot of moving parts, compared to a 2 stroker, sure, but hell. It was dirt cheap. (I guess I paid 200PLN, some 70USD...??)
I will have the original seat thrown off, make it a bit (just a bit) like a dirtbike of the 70-ies.

Bike came partially disassembled, but almost complete.

Some aftermarket indicators and taillight:

hzoltaan screwed with this post 03-26-2015 at 06:51 AM
hzoltaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 06:46 AM   #2
hzoltaan OP
Adventurer

In some days to come I figured out and fixed a few small issues, like fixed up the taillight, indicators, got a battery, plugs cleaned carb, and replaced oil. This did not look good:

Learned that, the starter clutch does not work, so hoping, that the metal rubbish on the filter came from the clutch. There was a home-made spring for the oil pressure valve which I managed to replace with an original Honda part. Removed the starter motor relay just to make sure... Compression test came up with promising results, about 122 and 126 PSi

Afterwards there was a lot of trouble with the carb. At the end I just replaced it with a locally available Chinese copy. (sold for some of the bigger quad engines) With new Denso plugs the bike started up and finally had a stable and adjustable idle.

quickly put a plank on it as the seat, mounted the mirrors and took it for a ride.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:53 AM   #3
deafanddiabetic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
I'm not usually a forum nazi, in fact I have a CM450 myself and I love it, but you are posting this build on a BMW Airhead thread.
deafanddiabetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 07:12 AM   #4
hzoltaan OP
Adventurer

Here we are right now,

I think there is a pair of MZ shocks, which seem to be longer than the original. (DDR is stamped on them (East Germany).
right cylinder smokes, so I guess after a while I'll have to pull off the head and sleeves. :/ But it pulls ok, has a badass noise as 1 muffler has a hole in it, and apart from the weird sitting position, it feels ok.

there are two new tires in the back of the car now, I shall fix a licence plate holder and get it registered. ;)
Old 03-27-2015, 03:45 AM   #5
hzoltaan OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by deafanddiabetic View Post
I'm not usually a forum nazi, in fact I have a CM450 myself and I love it, but you are posting this build on a BMW Airhead thread.

Upps...

Sorry, never occured to me that airhead means only the BMWs...
I try to find a way to move this away...

I think actually mods moved it.
Thank you, owe you a beer.

Z
Old 04-01-2015, 01:05 AM   #6
DisorganizedVince
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Nice bike, a couple of years ago when I had no money I had a battered old CM200T, it's still the bike in my avatar, they're good reliable little bikes, nice and simple to maintain too

Looking good so far, I'll be watching this thread
Old 04-01-2015, 06:29 AM   #7
hzoltaan OP
Adventurer

Thanks!

Just got some new tires for it. Nothing fancy, my riding does not necessitates expensive tyres... :) Duro tires.

Had some terrible moments trying to pry the old tires off the rims. The front tyre was a tubeless type, and the rear was simply oversized. (Actually the bar keeping the rear brake drum from turning would have rubbed against the sidewall, so the racing mechanic who owned it before me simply moved the bar outwards like 2 cms with a longer bolt... Congrats. I have to admit I did similar mods all the times in the past. ... )

I think in the upcoming weekend I'll be able to put the bike together with all stuffs regulated and checked. It will be technical inspection time then... That's the way to get it finally registered on my name. Perfect ride to go to work!
Old 04-01-2015, 11:43 AM   #8
DisorganizedVince
Gnarly Adventurer

Sounds like a practical enough mod, especially with a bike like the CM200T it doesn't need anything over the top.

It should be a perfect bike for a commuter, they'll run all day long however you treat them, mine would do the same speed everywhere, even with a passenger, the only thing it didn't like was hills, it was pretty competent putting along off-road too, I've never ridden in Poland, but if your roads are anything like Ukraine's the CM200 should be right at home

How does it handle with the high bars by the way? My CM200 had dirt bike bars fitted, and handled great, I was always curious how it would handle with the original bars

Need more pics as you make more progress
Old 04-02-2015, 05:22 AM   #9
hzoltaan OP
Adventurer

In short? It handled strange.

Ok, let's not blame all of this on the handlebar, when I took it for a testride I had the old tyres half inflated on it. With me riding more than 18 months ago last time, I was afraid going beyond 60km/h. The bike wanted it, but I chickened out. It was doing everything but running straight.

Right cylinder smokes though. :/

The high bars, well... Feels funny. I'm a short guy, but sat on the bike like on a small stool. Next mod as you mentioned is the straight bar for it. This is just plain weird. ;)

The roads here, well... If Poles would hear that you compared their roads to Ukraine's, I guess they would organize a march under your windows. :P Roads are pretty ok. Drivers are a bit aggressive, speeding everywhere and sometimes taking stupid risks, but nowhere near the stuff you see on the Russian dashcam videos.

With easter jest beyond the horizon, and weather being record crappy, I think I will be locked in the workshop. I'll try to make some better pictures.

You really have a Planeta? I wanted one of them things, always finding it a good replacement for the overcomplicated Jawa 350. 1 cyl Vs 2 cyl. Izh is better ;)
Old 04-02-2015, 06:11 PM   #10
DisorganizedVince
Gnarly Adventurer

Half inflated tires definitely wouldn't do your handling any good with the new tyres it should handle alot better straight away, and I think straight bars are alot more suited for a bike that small

Hopefully the right cylinder shouldn't be anything too complicated, maybe just a new piston and rings, funnily enough my right cylinder used to cut out for a few seconds occasionally... but having no money I ran it like that for something like 15,000 miles. It'd do around 80mp/h indicated top speed no matter what the load, except up a hill. I did play with the gearing for a while, but no matter what sprockets I put on there it didn't seem to make any difference to acceleration or top speed, just to what rev range I'd be riding in

I could easily understand being offended by being compared to Ukrainian drivers, I don't think I can think of anybody I know who's actually got their licenses legitimately here, except people who got theirs in the USSR, I was thinking more about the states of the roads though, a main road in Ukraine, or even a road in a city is quite often the same quality as an English dirt track, but it wouldn't surprise me if Poland's put more money into maintaining roads, so far my only experience of roads in Eastern Europe have been in Ukraine and Moldova, so not the best of the bunch

And yes, I picked up my Planeta just a week or so ago, I sold all my bikes about a year ago before moving to Ukraine and this is my first bike since then, at the time I was torn between a Jawa 350, an Izh Jupiter 5 with sidecar, or the Planeta 3, ended up picking the Planeta 3, and now I'm picking through all of it's problems to get it rideable, I've got a thread going for it in 2 smokers

I'll be watching for more pics of the CM200
Old 04-13-2015, 01:16 AM   #11
hzoltaan OP
Adventurer

I did some pictures, but imagine what forgot the damn thing at home, so can't upload. :P Sooo typical.

my fuel tank leaks...
I thing it leaks by edge on the bottom. (obviously not on the top...)

Is there any magical substance I can pour into the tank and it will miraculously seal? I really do not feel like replacing a tank...
Old 04-13-2015, 03:40 AM   #12
DisorganizedVince
Gnarly Adventurer

I once fixed a hole in a petrol tank once with a screw through the hole, a spare o-ring underneath the screw, and then chemical metal over the top. How long it would last though I have no idea, I just used it as a temporary fix until I could get a new tank so it would stop leaking, hopefully somebody else will have a more permanent idea.

Have you made sure it's not the petrol tap leaking? That one would be a lot easier to fix
Old 04-13-2015, 06:16 AM   #13
hzoltaan OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisorganizedVince View Post
Have you made sure it's not the petrol tap leaking? That one would be a lot easier to fix
It drips off the end of the tank, where it curves up to meet the seat.
I assume it would run down the fuel line if it was the fuel tap.

Nevertheless I have removed the tap to check. I think, it's ok.
Old 04-22-2015, 03:25 AM   #14
hzoltaan OP
Adventurer

new steps done. (was on holiday, so can't move as fast as I'd love. )

setting wheels in line in a barn.

Took the bike to the sun and shot it.
(no left shock absorber, removed it to measure and check if it was to be saved. Right now the bike has 2 new shocks. cheapo CZ-Jawa parts, because I fixed a lot of them and know them.)

I think I will try some epoxy putty to fix that tank with some results quickly.
Let's hope it will work. After some time I might get a different tank altogether. Once I had a Polish WSK 125 tank in my hands, and with a wide weighlifter's belt it would make really badass design to the whole thing. ;) In a way I'm happy the tank leaks...
Old 04-29-2015, 09:02 AM   #15
deafanddiabetic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
If putty doesn't work on the tank, you might befriend a welder. A little bead could do it up fine and would take less than 5 minutes. Heck, slip a $10 to a weld shop and they'd do it, too.

I like the bobber look of that bike, I'm usually not stoked on iron cross regalia but I think it looks tasteful on that build. Nice find and nice ride!
deafanddiabetic is offline   Reply With Quote