User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2013, 11:08 AM   #1
Eagletalon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
1974 honda cl200

Hello everyone. I'm looking into a honda cl200 for my first bike. From my research it was only made for the 1974 year but it's basically a cb200. The bike I'm looking at its on Craigslist and here is the add:

"This bike was only produced ONE YEAR and offered in one color,Candy Riviera Blue. I've had this bike for over a decade and got it from a friend who got it out of a barn after 10 years. It has 6214 miles and the chrome is in pretty good shape. I installed tires on it a few years back and re-creamed the fuel tank. I had it running after cleaning the carbs in lemon juice and water but let it sit after that. It runs poorly right now and needs the carbs cleaned again. It ran on and off over the last few years when I had time to redo the carbs.
This makes a great commuter bike and will run 45-55 mph. It also is a pretty rare model and people always ask about it.
Here is a recent video 2 months ago of it starting and running."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn8A4OsJHnI
The bike from the pictures looks very good. The guy is redoing the inside of the tank. He sounds like a straight up guy. He is asking $1,150. In your opinion is that a good price, should I try to haggle or should I look into something else.

Thanks
Jonathan
Eagletalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:59 PM   #2
rufusswan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 959
For that kind of money the thing should be cherry, otherwise that is a rip off price.

It may be kinda rare, but that don't make it 'special'. It is just a CB with different bars, tank, and a very expensive set of high pipes. A quick check of specs on the web shows 80 mph top speed (CB) so I don't know where the 45-55 numbers came from. I guess from the ad, the thing runs like crap but who knows why.

Should be as easy as any other Honda twin of that era to fix up into a strong runner. The folk at Hondatwins.net are the prime source for info on all that stuff.

If the high pipes are in good condition, it has compression, and doesn't sound like a box of rocks when running, maybe $500

Other than that it is sort of a half-assed running parts bike, so start bargaining at $300
I advertised for a winter project and got mine, non-running, for $200
rufusswan is offline   Reply With Quote