Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2014, 10:00 AM   #1
Farmwalker OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Mufflering a CL350

Hey folks,
Last winter I restored my CL350. This summer I put about 500 miles and gathered up a list of bugs that still need worked out. One of them is jetting, but I need to get the exhaust situation sorted first. The stock mufflers were rusted out, so they came off and were replaced with two Emgo shortys. I knew they might be loud, but didn't think they would be as bad as they turned out to be

So my new goals are: moderately quiet and would pass the sound test at an organized DS ride, USFS Spark Arrestor, and (opt.) not look out of place on this old bike. Oh, and not cost half the value of the bike.
I am thinking I will merge pipes to only need one muffler, la:

What I have found so far:
Supertrapp 3M: Has a spark arrestor and looks alright, but some googling suggests it is not quiet, so not much improvement.
Supertrapp IDS2 Quiet Core: Googling shows this as being much quieter, has spark arrestor. But looks are iffy and $$$ (380?).
FMF Powercore 4: Could be quiet with proper insert, spark arrestor, and much more decent price, but the looks still...

So, do any of you have experience with these or have other suggestions? Some fabrication/use-parts-not-as-intended is not a problem.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:21 AM   #2
usgser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,031
Is there enough pipe extending aft of the emgo cans to install "Snuff-or-Nots"? Pretty sure they're still sold from some after market vendors. Or make your own.
usgser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 10:26 AM   #3
Farmwalker OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by usgser View Post
Is there enough pipe extending aft of the emgo cans to install "Snuff-or-Nots"? Pretty sure they're still sold from some after market vendors. Or make your own.
I have put a perforated sink strainer into the end with some wire mesh lining them. And repacked them. No noticeable difference unfortunately.
Old 10-07-2014, 03:17 PM   #4
silverhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 308
That's the same route I went with my CL350 and I had physical pain to my left ear after riding it. I started wearing earplugs even when riding in town, it was so loud.

It looked cool, but was so shrill and nasty to hear at wide open throttle.

One unappealing option I was going to take was to put CB350 headers back on it since that's cheap-ish and easy. Then I could run those shorties or something longer. I just never wanted to spend money to have a custom Y pipe made. If you go that route, you can use almost any longer muffler to get the sound making part back further away from your ear though. Almost any Emgo muffler made would work. It's just a matter of finding someone to fabricate that part and then bringing yourself to hacksaw the two CL pipes to the desired length :)
silverhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 06:50 AM   #5
Farmwalker OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhead View Post
It looked cool, but was so shrill and nasty to hear at wide open throttle.

One unappealing option I was going to take was to put CB350 headers back on it since that's cheap-ish and easy. Then I could run those shorties or something longer. I just never wanted to spend money to have a custom Y pipe made. If you go that route, you can use almost any longer muffler to get the sound making part back further away from your ear though. Almost any Emgo muffler made would work. It's just a matter of finding someone to fabricate that part and then bringing yourself to hacksaw the two CL pipes to the desired length :)
Nice ride! and you know exactly what I am going through. I have already cut the pipe a little, but to get nice parallel tubes a little more will have to come off. I think I can take more off and still have pipe behind the rear support. Did some searching and found Cone Eng. Looks like I can get a collector and some formed tube from them. Should make things easier.

One of the frustrating things about all of these Dirt mufflers is that none of them have a straight inlet. They are all angled to drop through the frame.
Old 10-08-2014, 07:48 AM   #6
silverhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 308
I fought with the things constantly. All in the name of cool looks. My pipes were off of a 1968 CL350 and the tabs and stuff were broken so I didn't have them connected together other than at the point where I had both mufflers bolted together. My heat shield was from a CL175. Everything on my bike was scrounged from parts I had laying around and I built it up from a $40.00 titled frame I bought on ebay in 2011.

I recently won a set of scratched up British Customs mufflers on ebay for $0.99 and if I still had the bike I'd totally be going the Y pipe route to send two into one of those reverse megaphones which would look kinda like the Arrow triumph scrambler exhaust when I was done.

That way it'd retain the cool high pipes with the chrome heat shield but save my hearing by getting the exhaust back further away from my head. I don't own any metalworking tools so I didn't have a way to weld up, bend up, or fabricate my own custom exhaust. Anything is possible if you can do that or know a guy who will help you out on the cheap :)

I used Mikuni VM30 carbs which allowed it to rev out past redline easily so it was nice having open exhaust. Just not in my ear.
silverhead is offline   Reply With Quote