Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2012, 07:01 PM   #16
GypsyWriter
Sarah

Oddometer: 1,415
My first bike was a GL500; went on my first solo ride only a few months after getting her (and learning how to ride). I thought it was SO tall and heavy when I first got it! Put every farkle I could (new steering bearings, trunk, steel braided brake lines, dual front disc [wasn't originally an interstate], etc). Never gave me any problems but I sold it to make room for a DL650 - regretted it almost immediately. My mind kept turning back to that twisted twin motor and when I saw a fairly complete 79 CX500 at a local salvage yard I snapped it up. Bought a bunch of upgrades (new Ignitech CDI replacement, tapered steering bearings, complete gasket set etc) and am finally starting to dig in to it. Got a good (GREAT!) set of carbs from Sacramento this weekend and hope to start her up (or try) this weekend or next.

I'm determined to do this bike "right" as I don't intend to sell it. The Dude wants it to be a show bike and I do too but on my terms.

Let the good times roll!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
Life is dangerous. Not doing what you love makes life even more dangerous...
GypsyWriter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:03 AM   #17
Ever Onward
Time Killer

Oddometer: 677
Great bikes for what they are. Here was my 82 Interstate that I sold last year. Solid 50 MPG at highway speeds.

Once you get used to the high revs of the 500, they make nice leisurely backroad tourers. But, one ride on a Pacific Coast 800, and this beauty queen was out the door.

Ever Onward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:38 PM   #18
Goggles Paisano
AKA Walter Mitty

Oddometer: 1,421
I almost bought a 650 silverwing last year, but the dude wouldn't budge on his $2500.00 price. I walked. I do like these bikes alot though.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:08 AM   #19
Tinfish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 981
I owned a GL500 for a couple of years back in the 1990s. I never really bonded with the bike -- I LOVED the engine, but disliked the top-heavy feel and the suspension. The bike always felt like it needed a sixth gear, too, though I know they are made to rev high. I think I paid $700 and sold it for the same, so that worked out ok. And it never broke down or needed any work, so it was cheap to own.

I could imagine getting another but only if I had the time and $$$ to put into it to solve the handling issues (or maybe I just had a worn out bike, I don't know). I remember reading accounts of UK courier riders racking up incredible mileage on CX/GLs, so the motors are definitely good.
Tinfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:11 AM   #20
GypsyWriter
Sarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinfish View Post
I could imagine getting another but only if I had the time and $$$ to put into it to solve the handling issues (or maybe I just had a worn out bike, I don't know). I remember reading accounts of UK courier riders racking up incredible mileage on CX/GLs, so the motors are definitely good.
No the handling issues are pretty standard but easily fixed. The worst thing about my GL was how the front end would dive at stops, making handling dicey, but replacing the old worn fork oil for 20w did the trick there. I put tapered bearings on my front end as well and they made things much nicer as well, as I'd had a couple almost-tankslapper moments. Still, for a 30 year old bike I was pretty happy. The GL bikes have progressive front springs and an air ride rear suspension while the CX has regular front and rear spring suspension, but I'm getting these for my 79, it SHOULD work for the size front forks I have. I liked the progressive suspension of my GL and while the CX isn't too awful-horrible as is, obviously the old springs could use an upgrade/replacement.

Man, I'm anxious to dig into my 79 but wiring problems (damned PO) have us blocked for the moment. They cut and spliced and rubber cemented bits of the wiring harness at the front of the bike trying to get them inside the headlight bucket, and made a thorough mess of everything. Neither of us really enjoys working electrical, especially when it's this borked.
Quote:
Old 04-18-2012, 07:00 PM   #21
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,204
GL650.....Also gone, but not forgotten.....

Was a great running bike.....always felt it should have had a 6th. gear. The seat felt like it wanted to slide me forward all the time and it wasn't real friendly in the twisties. But as it's named: "Interstate"...she was right at home.

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:11 PM   #22
UncleDirt OP
Uncivil to idiots.

Oddometer: 11,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhacker View Post
GL650.....Also gone, but not forgotten.....

Was a great running bike.....always felt it should have had a 6th. gear. The seat felt like it wanted to slide me forward all the time and it wasn't real friendly in the twisties. But as it's named: "Interstate"...she was right at home.
Wow. That's awful purdy.

I'm up at about 7K when doing about 80mph. Did the extra 150cc really add anything to that?
UncleDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:15 PM   #23
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleDirt View Post
Wow. That's awful purdy.

I'm up at about 7K when doing about 80mph. Did the extra 150cc really add anything to that?
I never rode a CX500 so don't have anything to compare too......can't imagine that the extra 150cc's amounted to much.

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:47 AM   #24
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,701
I've owned 2 CX500Cs and loved them both except for the small gas tank. I put 105,000 miles on one and 56,000 miles on the other. Everything about the bikes just fit my needs. Reliable, low maintenance, mid weight, high ground clearance, water cooled, shaft drive, tubeless tires, and the best sounding engine of any bike IMO. Traded my last one off for a Goldwing and regretted it. The Wing just didn't fit my lifestyle. Been keeping an eye out for another one and saw an 82 GL500 on Craig's List this morning with 750 original miles. Will go buy it if it hasn't been sold already.
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:33 PM   #25
simestd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugemoth View Post
I've owned 2 CX500Cs and loved them both except for the small gas tank.
The GL500 has a 5.28 gal. tank. On the highway, mine is capable of 200 mi. legs

'82 XV750, '82 GL500, '02 DR650, '07 XT225
simestd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:35 AM   #26
GypsyWriter
Sarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by simestd View Post
The GL500 has a 5.28 gal. tank. On the highway, mine is capable of 200 mi. legs
I usually got 200-220 off one tank but rarely pushed it past that. I have a standard tank on my CX now and am wondering how that's going to work mileage-wise. Despite having a real nice set of carbs on hand it's going to be a while before I find out: we discovered the wiring behind the headlight is thoroughly borked and botched by a PO (who went so far as to use rubber cement over a connector ) so it'll be a while before she's a runner. In the meantime the Dude is pestering me to let him use the new carbs on his Custom.

I told him he can buy his own set.
Quote:
Old 04-23-2012, 09:07 PM   #27
UncleDirt OP
Uncivil to idiots.

Oddometer: 11,273
Here's mine right now.

Had the weephole leak, so ordered a new mech seal. Got the mech seal figured out and installed, just have to button her up.

Had to ride the KLR this weekend. Eww.

UncleDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:35 AM   #28
HeavyFuel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Another former GL500 Silverwing owner here. Bought her in early 2004 as my first "re-entry" bike (I was a dirt bike rider during my teen years in the early 80's). I was curious what the bike would be like without the fairing so I bought an headlight bucket and some old junkyard turn signals and converted to naked style. Loved the v-twin sound of the bike, but I eventually went through a "cruiser phase" and bought an '01 Shadow 750 that I rode for a year before I switched over to a 650 V-Strom. Had to sell the Silverwing after a while to raise some cash for a non-bike related stuff. Now when I look back at the pictures I still have fond memories of my first miles as a street rider on the old 'wing.

HeavyFuel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:24 PM   #29
GypsyWriter
Sarah

Now that is a nice set up! I'd have kept the rear bags and gone with just naked up front but the final result reminds me of my first bike. Dang I miss that thing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyFuel View Post
Another former GL500 Silverwing owner here. Bought her in early 2004 as my first "re-entry" bike (I was a dirt bike rider during my teen years in the early 80's). I was curious what the bike would be like without the fairing so I bought an headlight bucket and some old junkyard turn signals and converted to naked style. Loved the v-twin sound of the bike, but I eventually went through a "cruiser phase" and bought an '01 Shadow 750 that I rode for a year before I switched over to a 650 V-Strom. Had to sell the Silverwing after a while to raise some cash for a non-bike related stuff. Now when I look back at the pictures I still have fond memories of my first miles as a street rider on the old 'wing.

Quote:
Old 05-21-2012, 05:45 PM   #30
tjoseph
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,001
What's your oil filter look like?

I went to this site to check out what oil filters cross fit. I was looking for filters for my Honda GB500.

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FilterXRef.html

It stated that Fram 6007 fit, and that these cross-fit to Purolator ML16807.

I ordered four Purolator ML16807s, and they do not fit. They're open on both ends (the GB500 uses a smaller filter that has an opening on only one end.

So - if these Purolator ML16807s fit your CX, let me know and they're yours.
tjoseph is offline   Reply With Quote