User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2014, 03:08 PM   #1
smitty141 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 595
Heidenau K60 mileage help needed

Just wondering if you can get 10,000+ miles out of a K60 front? Here's my deal. Going to D2D in June, plan on doing the Dempster. I will be hauling tires with me, and I hate doing that.

What I was thinking is going ahead and mounting the K 60 front before leaving Missouri, and putting the new rear on in Dawson City Yukon. That way I would have enough rear tire to finish the trip and get me home without anymore tire changing.

Mounting the front would just save the hauling, and time once I get to Dawson City.

Does this sound practical, or am I putting way to much thought into this.

Thanks Smitty
2009 Yamaha WR250R...1999 YZ250

smitty141 screwed with this post 05-07-2014 at 04:11 PM
smitty141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 04:28 PM   #2
dirtybike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
July 2011 I had a pair of Heidenau K60's mounted at Adventure Cycleworks in Fairbanks. I had over 12,000 miles on them before I changed them out before a 3,000 mile trip. The front had plenty of miles left. The rear still had tread, I just was not sure that it would do a round trip from NY to the Florida Keys. You could mount both tires in MO, and make the round trip with plenty of tread on both.
Or, if you are going through Fairbanks, buy a pair from Dan and Shawn.

I should add that I consider myself a fairly smooth rider. Not real hard on the brakes or throttle, usually. I just carry the speed through the turns.

dirtybike screwed with this post 05-07-2014 at 04:50 PM
dirtybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 05:59 PM   #3
smitty141 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtybike View Post
July 2011 I had a pair of Heidenau K60's mounted at Adventure Cycleworks in Fairbanks. I had over 12,000 miles on them before I changed them out before a 3,000 mile trip. The front had plenty of miles left. The rear still had tread, I just was not sure that it would do a round trip from NY to the Florida Keys. You could mount both tires in MO, and make the round trip with plenty of tread on both.
Or, if you are going through Fairbanks, buy a pair from Dan and Shawn.

I should add that I consider myself a fairly smooth rider. Not real hard on the brakes or throttle, usually. I just carry the speed through the turns.
Thanks DB, I am one of those guys who is very hard on tires. My Anakee 3's have 2900 miles on them, and they are to the wear bars. I rarely get more than 4000 out of any tire. I will be very careful with the throttle and rear braking on this trip.

I am hoping to complete the trip to Inuvik before the Dusk 2 Dawson gathering. I will put around 11,000 miles on this trip in 20 days. And around 7000 on the rear if I change it in Dawson City.

Does this sound like a good plan??

Smitty
2009 Yamaha WR250R...1999 YZ250
smitty141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 06:07 PM   #4
TimothyCaseTimothy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 479
I have 10,500 on mine and would probably ride 'em a while longer if the front tire didn't have a slow leak in it...love those tires...

TC
TimothyCaseTimothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:46 PM   #5
donniemac
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
I rode my BMW 1150GS with Heidenau tires from Santa Barbara, Ca. to Panama, Central America and my front tire held up beautifully! That should be not problem! Have a great trip!
donniemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:49 PM   #6
dirtybike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty141 View Post

Does this sound like a good plan??

Smitty
I'm thinking that you get about half as many miles out of your tires as I do. You'll be on a highway trip this time, though, so you may get better mileage. Anyway, I'll bet that the Heidenau K60 rear would have lasted to at least 14k mi for me, so you'll get your 7k. The front, I would not be surprised if I would have gotten 20k mi, so you might get 10-11k.
The tires that I have run the most are Tourances, where I would normally get 8-9k mi from a rear, and a couple more from a front. I'm trying TKC80's now. The rear looks like it won't last 4k.
Be prepared for a different feel from the K60's. Great tire for crappy and dirt roads and durability. Not the greatest for wet pavement, and I was not confident at speed even on dry pavement. But they are tough, and they go the distance. I would be confident round tripping NY to AK with a pair.
dirtybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 01:15 AM   #7
Oldbear
Don't want a pickle

Oddometer: 203
+10 000 miles is no problem with the K60 front. You could probably get something between 1520k out of it if you're touring long distance.
Oldbear is offline   Reply With Quote