User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2012, 11:02 AM   #1
Donkey OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 785
To clip on or not to clip on...?

Hey guys I'm new to old's cool and recently picked up a R80/7 that I'm in the process of stripping and rebuilding with a friends help. I have been going back and forth trying to decide if I want clip ons or not and looking for some feedback and advice. I believe I'll need rearsets if I go clip on but wondering if just a a nice low bar would do the trick. I'll have a cafe seat with s/s short fenders if that helps with the visual. I'm using barend signals and a simple round tailight.

I'm an old's cool n00b but not an adv n00b so I know enough to know that we like pics. Here's the bike after I cleaned it up a bit and put the new/used tank on for looks

2010 Ducati Monster 1100S abs
2012 Ducati Hypermotard 1100 Evo SP Corsa
Donkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:07 AM   #2
Biebs
BMW Airhead

Oddometer: 471
Wicked Dirt bike handle bars

Do not over look the dirt bike handle bars - BMW GS handle bars are kinda wide but regular dirt bike handle bars might fit your needs.

Biebs screwed with this post 04-11-2012 at 11:20 AM
Biebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:13 AM   #3
mykill
odd

Oddometer: 1,158
How fit are you? Plan to ride far? Clip-ons put a lot of weight on your wrists and can get tiring. They do make you one with the bike and are great in the twisties, it is a committed riding position and best with rear sets. S or Euro bars are a good compromise and work well with or without rear sets.
Fitment issues: You need to drastically alter or swap out your headlight ears. Normally not a big deal, but you have an ignition switch that is in a bad spot for aftermarket ears. Mike's XS has 36mm alloy ears that work well if you relocate your ignition. Woodcraft makes nice 36mm clip-ons but are not adjustable. I think Telefix makes adjustable ones, but they look like a bad plumbing experiment. You will need "Euro" cables when fitting clip-ons or lower bars.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:38 AM   #4
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,780
A lot of the bikes I see here in ADVR with clip-ons have almost no turning radius. They would make certain Ducati's seem like they have plenty of room to turn around. Not to mention the multi-switch buttons getting into the tank and whatnot. I have been running a modified RS/RT frame attached headlight mount for decades now. They limit cornering radius enough as it is.

Personally, clip-ons are harder on my neck than they are my wrists. Turning my head side to side just kills my neck for some reason in that position. On the flip side GS type bars and the sitting up straight position kills my lower back but I grew up riding on euro style bars so that is what I am use to. Plus there is no good way to run my frame mounted headlight setup with clip-ons. I prefer wider bars than most beemer euro style bars. I don't need to try to get away after they handcuff me. I consider my day done at that point! I like K1 bars but that's just me.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:39 AM   #5
bmwloco
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,346
Personally, I love BMW "S" or Europa bars. The later US bars are too relaxed and IMHO don't offer good positioning for road work.

It also gives you the option of putting an S faring on it. One of the best. Prior to getting into RS's, I rode several BMWs with the S faring. Good ergonomics, all the info you need to, you can add the original Clock/Voltmeter or put whatever in the holes for 'em.

But in the end, it is your bike. Do whatever blows your skirt up.

'66 BMW R60/2, '83 BMW R100RS,'81 BMW R100RS "Das Beast", '87 BMW R850R '77 Honda XL125
Airhead #371
bmwloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:46 PM   #6
mykill
odd

Oddometer: 1,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
A lot of the bikes I see here in ADVR with clip-ons have almost no turning radius. They would make certain Ducati's seem like they have plenty of room to turn around. Not to mention the multi-switch buttons getting into the tank and whatnot. I have been running a modified RS/RT frame attached headlight mount for decades now. They limit cornering radius enough as it is.
Good point! My race bike cuts a very wide swath in the garage and pits, and I have no switchgear to deal with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
Personally, clip-ons are harder on my neck than they are my wrists. Turning my head side to side just kills my neck for some reason in that position. On the flip side GS type bars and the sitting up straight position kills my lower back but I grew up riding on euro style bars so that is what I am use to.
You are old and you body is battered!
Old 04-12-2012, 12:33 AM   #7
Kai Ju
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,777
Comfortable Clip On's

The look of clip on's with the comfort of an S bar:

http://www.fastfromthepast.com/servl...ons/Categories
Kai Ju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:45 AM   #8
chasbmw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,034
+1 on the S bars. They work really well as a daylong or sporty round town bar.
1971 Commando Fastback
chasbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:10 AM   #9
ericrat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,150
Also consider...

Consider the stock RS bars. they are dead flat with no rise at all, almost like a dragbike bar.

It is nice too becasue you can order RS cables if some of your stuff ends up being too long.

Clip ons are a pain. I mean if you have to have them, then you have to have them but I don't really think thye work without a custom tank.

Eric
ericrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:18 AM   #10
lkchris
Albuquerque

Oddometer: 987
The easiest way to go is to just fit an RS bar.

I've noted, however, that pros have mostly gone away from clip ons and it looks to me like MotoGP, etc., are running something closer to S bars these days. Having ridden an RS with OE bars for 28 years, I'd still add S bars to your bike.
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:50 PM   #11
supershaft
because I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykill View Post
Good point! My race bike cuts a very wide swath in the garage and pits, and I have no switchgear to deal with.

You are old and you body is battered!
That I am! But I had the same complaint before I was old and battered!
Old 04-12-2012, 12:55 PM   #12
petefromberkeley
-

Oddometer: 3,292
Personal preference here. My two favorite BMW bars have been "S" bars with 1.5" extensions welded on (that simulated a Tomeselli bar on my old Triumph that was just perfect for me) and the R80GS (not R-100GS) bar that I have used for, crap, must be 18 years now. It's more narrow than the R100 bar.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:58 PM   #13
supershaft
because I can

I sure do like the LOOKS of those bars on your bike pfb. They make all the difference IMO!
Old 04-12-2012, 01:03 PM   #14
robtg
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 625
With clip ons you have a certain amount of adjustability. I've used clip ons on several bikes including sidecars and i like them.
robtg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:38 PM   #15
Donkey OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 785
Thank you for all the replies guys, I'm surprised there were so many and appreciate it!

Does anyone have a pic of their bike with "S" or "RS" bars? There seems to be some consensus on that route
2010 Ducati Monster 1100S abs
2012 Ducati Hypermotard 1100 Evo SP Corsa
Donkey is offline   Reply With Quote