Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2012, 07:08 AM   #136
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,845
Following along with this RR. Looks like a fun trip. I'm glad you got to Yosemite while there was water. The one time I got there, was during a drought year and the water falls were trickles. I was still amazed with the beauty there.

What ever happened to the GoPro footage? Too bad if the guy doesn't post it.

One question for all the Ural owners. Can you make a single motorcycle out of the sidecar rig? and if you can what is it like to ride solo?
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:37 AM   #137
rkop0787
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Thumbs down Meanwhile, back at the house...

You picked a good time to go on your trip...

rkop0787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:20 AM   #138
JCZ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkop0787 View Post
You picked a good time to go on your trip...

Riding in triple digit temps....he's probably thinking "from one extreme to another".

When we complain about the 105-110F temps out here we always get a reply from those back east saying "yea, but it's a dry heat". Like that makes a difference. What did the sign say.....something about when swallows are falling out of the sky dead.
JCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:52 AM   #139
AeroEngineer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by madeouttaglass View Post
Good morning Dennis. Julie made me stop to pour water on my shirt and pants. Sometimes she just spashed me as we went. It went on hot (106 degree water!), turned cold as hell, then evaporated in minutes.

Hi Cpres, We're going to figure out today's path later today. I have a Walmart down the road and I'm almost due for my fluid changes again. I'm at lets swapping out the pusher tire also. I forgot to check the odometer in the morning so I don't know how many miles we did. I can say it was a few too many. Not sure how many we will do today.

Panzir, Don't know what happened but I was sure I sent a SPOT from Badwater. No show on my link though.
Vegas was a mistake. I can't believe how many tourists still line that street, even in the heat of a day like yesterday. It took forever to get out of there.
Sounds like the weather at home is quite odd. Around here it's easy to trade it for better if you just drive another direction. Fishing boats and snowmobiles on trailers going different directions.
Cool with a slight breeze this morning. 96 later today. Hopefully I'll be in a higher elevation before it hits that.

Edit- Holy crap, I took a look at the forecast for home. I didn't think I'd be leaving that kind of weather behind this late in the year.:
Monday
Wind driven rain and wet snow for Rochester. Several inches of limb crushing wet snow is a possibility in the highest elevations south & west of Rochester from the Bristol Hills into Wyoming Co. High: 40.

When you swap the pusher, save yourself some frustration and let all the air out of the tire before you remove the wheel.

In my experience, there isn't enough clearance between the brake pads and left suspension spring to pull the wheel out if the tire is inflated.

edit- NVM I see you got it. :P
2006 DR650 (???)
AeroEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:14 AM   #140
rkop0787
Adventurer

I just got caught up with your posts, and it looks like you two are having a great time. I hope you're not missing New York too much. I just came in from the blizzard- the fruit trees and magnolia were very stressed under the weight of the heavy, wet snow, so I shook them all off. I could hear branches in the woods breaking as I was outside. Pups had a warm rinse off to get all of the snow balls out of their fur. The plow has been down the road four times already, and the snow is still coming down steadily. April! This is weather that the ski slopes hoped for all winter.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:46 AM   #141
LZFiat
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Howdy there T&J:
Hey thanks for the thread updates. Very cool. Did you get a chance to check out some Bristlecones?? Hard to believe when you look at those things and relate there age to human history its mind blowing. Plus there so neat looking.

Hey Mark: Its funny about the Pumpkins. Scanning some pics here and came across a couple of those.

Safe Journeys
LZ
PS Hey if your Son needs some help at House or whatever just call.
LZFiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:36 PM   #142
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkop0787 View Post
I just got caught up with your posts, and it looks like you two are having a great time. I hope you're not missing New York too much. I just came in from the blizzard- the fruit trees and magnolia were very stressed under the weight of the heavy, wet snow, so I shook them all off. I could hear branches in the woods breaking as I was outside. Pups had a warm rinse off to get all of the snow balls out of their fur. The plow has been down the road four times already, and the snow is still coming down steadily. April! This is weather that the ski slopes hoped for all winter.
That really sucks. Here in Northern CT we had that happen late October and all the trees are busted. They look awful now with the leaves starting to open. We lost power for a week and some for more than 11 days. Hope it stops soon. Hijack over.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:36 PM   #143
Catharine585
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Hi! It's cath here in snowy Rochester, NY. Guess the Hills got hit hard according to Becky. Just wanted to let u know we are watching your progress and enjoy the pictures. Much love!
Catharine585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:46 PM   #144
rkop0787
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
That really sucks. Here in Northern CT we had that happen late October and all the trees are busted. They look awful now with the leaves starting to open. We lost power for a week and some for more than 11 days. Hope it stops soon. Hijack over.
I wish the power would go out! Maybe get me out of work tomorrow.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:02 PM   #145
rkop0787
Adventurer

The dogs made a Dad look-alike while they wait for your return.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:27 PM   #146
JCZ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
They said that's why they're called "snowman"......With faces like that, you could never get mad at them. Our Molly gets away with murder, too.

They wait impatiently......for their turn in the Ural side car.
JCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:58 AM   #147
rkop0787
Adventurer

Andddd...the snow at home still hasn't stopped. We lost the top of one of the pine trees behind the woodshed and branches around the property. I've kept the fruit trees shaken off. The dogs are happy as can be and enjoying their 'bland diet' of rice and chicken all week.

Next year I go on a trip in the warm weather, and you can stay in the April blizzard with naughty dogs. :)

I hope you guys are having a blast and enjoying some nice weather! Can't wait to see more photos. Take your time and enjoy the heck out of Utah- I'm so excited to hear your report from that part of the trip. Love you guys!

Old 04-24-2012, 09:49 AM   #148
LngRidr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Great ride report so far, keep it up. I cant wait till i can finally get a Ural one day.
IBA# 24562
LngRidr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:52 AM   #149
zg1286
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Great report. Better pics.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:23 PM   #150
madeouttaglass OP
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,400
We are stopped in Durango to catch up on emails. Got to sleep in the desert in the tent in Utah last night. Met some more great people. Pictures and story to come later. All is great.

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote