User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2013, 05:28 AM   #286
KLR 650 guy
UralTouristKlr650Guy

Oddometer: 489
Wicked Hello there Manfromthestix

Great ride report M8 .. I have just purchased a Ural myself and waitin for it to be delivered I live 125 km east of Esperance Western Australia and hope to have some funn like you & #1 farkle .. cheers an beers ....
Old 09-14-2013, 06:30 AM   #287
madeouttaglass OP
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,394
I didn't expect this old thread to pop up. You are going to love it KLR650guy. We are still having plenty of fun with ours. 20,000 trouble free KMs and counting. Besides riding together, grocery shopping, and hauling things to the dump, I've also found it handy for carrying a few other things:

photo DSC01178_zps6736e437.jpg

Funny that you should write now as I was just researching the possibility of renting a KLR650 in your neighboring country of NZ.
Cheers Mate!

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:38 AM   #288
KLR 650 guy
UralTouristKlr650Guy

Oddometer: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by madeouttaglass View Post
I didn't expect this old thread to pop up. You are going to love it KLR650guy. We are still having plenty of fun with ours. 20,000 trouble free KMs and counting. Besides riding together, grocery shopping, and hauling things to the dump, I've also found it handy for carrying a few other things:

photo DSC01178_zps6736e437.jpg

Funny that you should write now as I was just researching the possibility of renting a KLR650 in your neighboring country of NZ.
Cheers Mate!

Well if ever you & #1 farkle decide to get to Western Australia then I have a ural and Klr 650 for you to take off on if you like ..

Btw that canoe I think is a bit big as we would get buster here in Oz for that but what they done know won't hurt them .. Lol ....
Old 09-24-2013, 09:50 PM   #289
revmaaatin
Sioux Empire Iron Horse

Oddometer: 298
Quote:
As the Burl Ive's snowman would say, "Tell me when it's over!"

Read your ride report yesterday filled with wonderful pictures; today it is laced with billboard substitutes out the yang-ying....
Is is my computer or did some 'happen'?

Also searching for a link/site you recc: push (something) pushkin, pushpin?
dot org dot com. sigh.
Not finding it in the verbiage.

...fine is the line between foolishness and daring....Paul Vasey Rivers of America
revmaaatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:06 AM   #290
madeouttaglass OP
The AntiHarley

Quote:
Originally Posted by revmaaatin View Post
Read your ride report yesterday filled with wonderful pictures; today it is laced with billboard substitutes out the yang-ying....
Is is my computer or did some 'happen'?

Also searching for a link/site you recc: push (something) pushkin, pushpin?
dot org dot com. sigh.
Not finding it in the verbiage.
Thanks for pointing that out. When I saw it I also wondered what the hell happened. I searched Photobucket and found that there were enough views this month that it exceeded the free bandwidth they provide. It will recycle on the 4th of each month. (The monthly anniversary of me opening the account.) I had a paid for Pro account with them back when we took this trip because I exceeded it almost daily. Until my next adventure I will leave the account as it is and have to deal with this occasionally. I do wonder why it suddenly got popular a year and a half after the trip. Thanks for the heads up, Tom
edit- as for the "Pushkin" I think you meant "Pashnit.com" It is a great MC forum for pictures and trip planning on the west coast.

madeouttaglass screwed with this post 10-05-2013 at 09:54 AM
Old 09-30-2013, 09:07 AM   #291
McRuss
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Just finally decided to read your report, not sure why I waited this long but it seems to have gained new popularity!

In 2000, I bought a '98 Ural that started life as a single but didn't sell. The dealer ordered and paint matched a side car and I loved it (yellow and black!) But the '98 was not near the trouble free vehicle that the new ones are, kept me busy keeping it going even though it was always little things. My wife however, did not like the side car, said it sat too low and was very noisy. Now that I approach 70, and just sold off my KLR, I'm thinking about retirement and what I will do for the single bike that old age is going to require (three wheels I'm afraid due to bad legs/feet).

I rode my WeeStrom to AK this summer but I think it will have to go. I will truly hate to part with my 2009 FJR1300AE but that may have to go as well. So why not a Ural? After reading of your trouble free trip, I'm thinking I might just go that route when the time comes. BTW, I have a T-shirt that proclaims "World's Fastest Sidecar" from back when they set a record at Bonneville. I wore it this past Saturday and two people stopped to ask if I owned one, that they were considering a purchase!

Anyway, ride well and hope to see another report from you (here's the link to my RR on the AK trip if you are interested)
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ghlight=Mcruss

Colorado native, doin' time in Texas
McRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:23 PM   #292
madeouttaglass OP
The AntiHarley

Hi McRuss, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I still say it was the best month of my life.
I can report over 20,000 KMs on the rig without issue. I recently bought a very nice air cleaner lid from a Uralist that posts both here and more so on Soviet Steeds. His name is Windmill and the reason I bought it was to address the only thing Julie didn't care for and that was the massive intake drone- especially when under heavy throttle. Windmill's design routes it over to the left side. It is quieter overall and MUCH quieter for Julie. Funny that you should mention a few of your bikes. We did another 70 miles or so on seasonal roads on the Ural just yesterday. Today I ran 120 miles of errands on the FJR. Two very different beasts for sure. Tomorrow I pick up my new to me KLR. Seems we have a bit in common. I'll be reading your AK report starting tonight. Thank you for the link.

Old 09-30-2013, 03:02 PM   #293
Patrick46
visionary

Oddometer: 2,811
Ha....these are all funny & weird posts at the same time, and I too am a big fan of both Stroms & FJR's, and I have a friend who has an FJR, and recently sold his Wee...but in order to buy a BMW R1200C (the strange looking cruiser model) that has less than 300 original miles on it.

I'm probably not ready for a Ural....not yet at least....(but you just never know)

www.artworks-unlimited.com
Patrick46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:15 AM   #294
DingWeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 494
Hey Madeouttaglass,
Looks like you and the wife had a Great ride!!! Thanks for Sharing!
If you get the chance.......lots of Great riding around 3 Step!!
Ride safe!
Scott
DingWeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 11:59 AM   #295
Sun Ray
Polyglottic Moran

Oddometer: 967
I enjoyed your most excellent ride report! Maybe someday I'll consider a sidecar so my wife and I can do something similar. Your trip was epic; not only did I learn about some places I need to check out in my own backyard, but also the importance of ride reports and the great people that post them. Thank you!

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=936940
Sun Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 08:59 PM   #296
ramon
weezin' the juice!

Oddometer: 1,113
Thumb

Just read the whole thread. I have been thinking about a hack, now I'm more stoked than ever! Excellent report!
Old 04-20-2014, 06:40 AM   #297
madeouttaglass OP
The AntiHarley

Good morning guys,
Patrick, I almost made it north as far as your shop again last month. What a beautiful area you live in.
DingWeed, Sorry I missed your email when I was in Moab last month. Next time I will make sure to stay at your place now that know where the 3StepHideaway is.
Sun Ray, While my latest RR is not nearly as good as the Ural ride, it is nice to go back over a trip whenever I feel like it. I just log onto ADV and it all comes back. This year I also benefited from that early RR. I went back to see some of the places I wanted to spend more time at and more importantly- I got to spend time with JCZ , IvanRider, and his wife Becky. I wouldn't have known any of them had it not been for that first ride report. Now they are three real (not virtual) friends of mine. They not only made the Ural trip much more memorable, this year they all took time to personally show me the sights in their own backyards. I do hope to return the favor someday. Spending time with them this March were two of the biggest highlights of this year's road trip.
Ramon- Do it! My Searchtempest parameters started with "furthest away" during my quest for a newer Ural. There currently are plenty of good deals on slightly used rigs out there. Starting the ride in an airplane made it all the more of an adventure compared to leaving home in a truck with a trailer. It did add some risk, but that made the vacation even better. I would do that trip over in a heartbeat.

madeouttaglass screwed with this post 04-20-2014 at 07:08 AM
Old 04-20-2014, 06:07 PM   #298
on2wheels52
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,307
I received the same card that featured in your post on 5/4/12 (a random hit on this thread). Now I guess I'd better read the whole thing.
Jim
on2wheels52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 03:43 PM   #299
caycek5
Bionic Man, got Ti

Oddometer: 1,886
Quote:
I just saw this thread today and read through it. I thought your picture looked familiar.

The funny part is I bought a Ural Gobi earlier this year. May have get out west again now.
Thanks for the pictures and stories.
caycek5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:04 PM   #300
madeouttaglass OP
The AntiHarley

Glad you liked it. I just can't keep away from there. Here's a pic of the same spot from this past March's "Escape from NY" ride back to the west coast.