User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2012, 03:29 AM   #1
Perspicacious OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Klim Adrenaline GTX Boots: hands on review

Klim's website bills the Adrenaline boot as a snowmobile and motorcycle boot. There are not many snowmobiles in Australia (although our High Country gets its fair share of snow) so I bought some and used them as motorcycle boots. Yesterday I got back from a 3 day trip through the Victorian High Country on my BMW F800GS. This turned into a bit of an epic: rain, snow, insanely steep tracks, a run in with a couple of feral samba deer and a stupidly deep crossing of the Wonnangatta River. All in all, a great adventure and a real test for the Adrenalines.

The first thing you notice when you pull the Adrenalines out of the box is how thick they are: the internal insulation that keeps your little piggies warm makes the boots thick (when measured from the bottom of the sole to the top of the toes). My first thought was, "Are these so thick that I will not get my left toe under the gear lever to change up?" The answer to that question is, thankfully, "No but it takes a little practice to figure out how to do it". It took about 15 minutes to figure out how to easily get my left boot under the gear lever for up-changes and, frankly, I still miss the odd up-change. Walking around in the boots certainly softened them up and made it easier to change gears.

That the boots are thick is no criticism of Klim: the boots are designed to be warm, and warm they are. They have 3M Thinsulate and Gore-Tex lining and my previous experience with both those products has been universally good. It was pretty cold up in the High Country over the last few days, and the first 2 days out the peak temperature was 5degC (41degF). With creek crossings, puddles, mud and frosty grass the boots got wet and cold and stayed wet and cold. Not once were my feet wet or cold. And that was on surfaces from 100km/h to sphincter-tightening rock-strewn downhills.

The other thing about motorcycle boots is the protection. Thankfully I do not have first hand experience of how well the Adrenaline boots hold up in an off. But they are tough and well made, with excellent internal padding. I also wear Rossi (an Australian brand) motorcycle boots and I reckon the Adrenalines would hold up better than the Rossis in a crash. I have no worries about the Adrenalines on the protection front.

The Adrenalines are extremely comfortable to walk in, so that is another box ticked. At a pinch, they would do for a longish walk if the conditions were cold enough.

A couple of drawbacks:
1. if water gets inside these boots, they will act like sponge-lined buckets and will be wet for days. Keep them dry inside and they'll be fine; and
2. they are warm. Absolutely magnificent for cold riding conditions, but they are so warm that they will just not do for warmer conditions.

All up: these are an awesome bit of winter riding kit. I love them. In fact, I am taken by them so much I am going to email Klim and ask them if they will make an identical boot for warmer conditions: Gore-Tex lined but without the Thinsulate.

At the risk of sounding like I have become KlimBoy, I will soon try to get around to posting a review of my newish Klim Badlands Pro jacket and pants.

Oh, and if you want a steep downhill, have a crack at Zeka Spur Track down off the Howitt High Plains. Like all great addictions, it starts nice and easy and then it abuses your trust, over and over and over again. I've been down it, but I am not sure I could get up it.

Perspicacious screwed with this post 04-12-2012 at 03:35 AM
Perspicacious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:42 PM   #2
kiw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
hye, I'm thinking of buying a pair for my coming adventure to canada. So you would recommend the boots for motorcycle?
how tall are they, do they protect the shin? What about the ankles?
thanks!
kiw is offline   Reply With Quote