Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2012, 10:30 AM   #106
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,052
Wicked Boing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 396 View Post
I'm an old fucker stuck in my ways running 14, designing automation machinery. For the most part, prints to the shop are my bottom line, and 14 gets it done quickly. My employer is footing the bill to get me Solidworks training. I've done the tutorials, and find it awkward and cumbersome. Any tips for making the 2d/3d transition less painless?
Be glad he's footing the bill for SolidWorks and not AutoCad Inventor.
Inventor is no where as intuitive as SW, IMO of course, but I've use(d) both extensively.

As far as Boeing goes, I worked 9 years direct and twice on long term gigs as a contractor, and the secret is too make sure the key words are in your resume'.
Lie about CATIA. Even if you have, 'exposure to, and an a strong interest in using CATIA V5 as a professional' yadda yadda in your resume'...
Both the Boeing and contractor scanners pick up those key words.
That will get you a a possible phone call or e-mail.

I saw kids with nothing more than a sketchbook of tatoos get hired back in '97 as Technical Illustrators at $33 an hour plus per diem.

VOLT and Butler are big personnel contract houses for Boeing.
Go thru them if you want contract work. IMO, best bang for the buck over direct hire.
And they are hiring right now.

Hell, if I wasn't tied down I'd be up there in Everett, WA right now (again)...

Rapid Dog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:12 AM   #107
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by 396 View Post
Good one:
For designing parts I like to think in terms of the steps to actually manufacture it. Start with a big block or rod and start carving like you'd do on a mill or lathe. I don't like adding - I like taking away material just like the machinist will. For assemblies I mate features to constrain parts in the same way and same order as I picture myself assembling them.
I'll be doing the 4 day intro, followed a few weeks later by the 4 day advanced.
I'm confident I can model the parts. I've done the packaged tutorials. I'm concerned about putting together assemblies however.
Probably my main concern is the change to the creative process. My thought process will be changed by the constraints of the new software. I can't really describe how I create my designs, but Autocad is an integral part of it.
Cad is a tool. A means of communicating your ideas. You can be a great cad operator, but a shitty designer. You can make beautiful models of things that won't work or can't be made.
Back when I was using SW I tried that method. Sometimes it works but sometimes the surfaces don't interact properly.

In that case it's easier to draw a 2-D profile and spin it.

On a completely unrelated note, anyone here use Draft Sight? It's free, 2-D, and looks like it has an autocaddish interface.

It also runs on Linux.

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:40 AM   #108
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,897
SolidWorks is making the student version available to military veterans for $20.
Note that the student version is a 12 month license.

http://store.solidworks.com/veteran/default.php

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:03 AM   #109
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 3,094
export a workable dwg file from illustrator into cad?

i'm pretty much a complete cad noob. a mate says he can arrange for some shorter dog bones for the DR650 to be lasercut on the back of other jobs they are doing.

downloaded a freebie program, QCAD, but couldn't figure out how to draw anything. i'm a graphic designer by trade so knocked up the design in illustrator, exported as a dwg file then opened that with QCAD and saved it as a dxf.

it all looked fine but the laser cutter said the lines are broken and it's not usable. this probably isn't the right thread to be asking for noob help, but anyone know where i might be going wrong? would it be better to export as a pdf from illustrator and use a particular bit of software to export as a dxf?

any tips appreciated!
Old 05-08-2013, 05:44 AM   #110
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1 View Post
i'm pretty much a complete cad noob. a mate says he can arrange for some shorter dog bones for the DR650 to be lasercut on the back of other jobs they are doing.

downloaded a freebie program, QCAD, but couldn't figure out how to draw anything. i'm a graphic designer by trade so knocked up the design in illustrator, exported as a dwg file then opened that with QCAD and saved it as a dxf.

it all looked fine but the laser cutter said the lines are broken and it's not usable. this probably isn't the right thread to be asking for noob help, but anyone know where i might be going wrong? would it be better to export as a pdf from illustrator and use a particular bit of software to export as a dxf?

any tips appreciated!
If you insist on importing the file from a different program, check the help for your QCAD to see if there is a "heal" or "close loop" command or something similar somewhere. Basically what is happening is that the end points of your lines are not forming a closed loop, and any CAM system doesn't like this. Some CAD programs will fix this for you if the gap is not huge. It's very typical to have open loops, disjoint ends and line gaps when you import the file from something else. Frankly, you'd be better off learning how to use your QCAD instead of importing stuff.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:58 AM   #111
PunkinHead
Moobless Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1 View Post

any tips appreciated!
I could probably fix it for you if you want to send me the dxf.
PunkinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:50 AM   #112
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkinHead View Post
Yup.

Post up the dimensions and I'm sure someone here will draw it for you. It would only take me a few seconds to draw a dogbone if nobody else jumps on it first.
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:46 AM   #113
swede7000
Regular user...problem???

Oddometer: 1,627
Anybody here into architectural design? Been using Revit by autodesk for a few years now. Pretty sweet software but like all autodesk a bunch of shit I cant for the life of me figure out!
swede7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:09 AM   #114
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,544
I was using Architechtual Desktop and 3D Studio Viz about a dozen years ago working for an Architectural firm, but have since gone back to a mechanical design company. I found formal training to be the best way to figure out how to use them. I went to class with a list of questions pertaining to the work I needed the software to do for me and came out of it with a bunch of answers.
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:58 AM   #115
swede7000
Regular user...problem???

Oddometer: 1,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabill View Post
3D Studio Viz
Was Viz Viz? I bought Autodesk Viz 4 trying to get into the 3D home design and quickly realized I just threw thousands out the window!! That was good times. I'm really into Revit. Self taught with a stack of books and all the forums around the web.
swede7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:33 AM   #116
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkinHead View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabill View Post
Yup. Post up the dimensions and I'm sure someone here will draw it for you. It would only take me a few seconds to draw a dogbone if nobody else jumps on it first.
thanks guys, good of you to offer. it's frustrating knowing it would take less than five minutes to draw but the cad interface and way of doing things is totally different to graphics! i might send you the pdfs then i'll post them somewhere afterwards for anyone chasing templates. cheers....
Old 05-08-2013, 11:36 AM   #117
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by swede7000 View Post
Anybody here into architectural design? Been using Revit by autodesk for a few years now. Pretty sweet software but like all autodesk a bunch of shit I cant for the life of me figure out!
Just beginning to touch this part of my life, after more than a decade of hibernation. Man I'm slow, compared to my old skills.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:13 PM   #118
McCormack OP
eltiT resU motsuC

Oddometer: 5,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveShaft View Post
Just beginning to touch this part of my life, after more than a decade of hibernation. Man I'm slow, compared to my old skills.
That's a shitty looking suspension component.

After 12 years of CAD work, I'm now out of that. Part of me regrets it (I was damn good), but part of me really enjoys the new challenges (I'm now managing a new project in South America).

I still have CAD on my work machine, though. It's nice to be able to whip a sketch together myself instead of explaining it to someone else first.
McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:59 PM   #119
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

[QUOTE=McCormack;21361588]That's a shitty looking suspension component. /QUOTE]

true but kind of nice to have a kitchen built in to your DR.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:22 PM   #120
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCormack View Post
That's a shitty looking suspension component.

After 12 years of CAD work, I'm now out of that. Part of me regrets it (I was damn good), but part of me really enjoys the new challenges (I'm now managing a new project in South America).

I still have CAD on my work machine, though. It's nice to be able to whip a sketch together myself instead of explaining it to someone else first.
Is that what it looks like? Shhooooot.

Half the challenge is just figuring out the "layout" of commands on this version of ACAD/AA. When I worked it, I had a dedicated digitizer, w/ all the important commands laid out nicely on the digitizer, and I could fly that thing pretty damn fast. It helped that I had a good sense of spatial relationships. But what's killing me now is just basic things like trying to remember how the hell you get the area measurement of a polyline space to friggin' show up. That, and where the hell the damn hatch tool is on the little floating menus...which I still can't figure out.

I do surprise myself in how much I remember, through the cobwebs. I was hammering out relative coordinates, and making UCS's in no time.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: