Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2012, 07:20 AM   #16
topless
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
I've owned several CT90's and if you have good spark, then it's all in the fuel system. They are simple bikes and easy to work on, but the tiny jets and fuel passages in the carb can be clogged with silt from the fuel tank in a second. You will wear out the screws in the carb trying to keep it running until you just remove the fuel tanks and clean it out. I ended up coating the tank with Por15, and with new fuel line, and inline filter, it ran perfect for 2 years. Now, I haven't even started it for 2 years and with the tank lined, All I have to do is flush the old gas out and it will start because I can't have rust in the fuel system anymore.
There are places online that you can download a shop manual for free. That makes it even easier.
topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 02:11 PM   #17
mattwoods
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
checking points

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidnito View Post
i read about points, but i am hpoing i dont have to mess with those..i dont know where they are located(is it an easy task?)
Points are super easy. On the left side if the engine, near the top, there is a plate held on by two small screws. You pull that off and measure the amount of space between the two contact breaker points. In order to do this, you also need to pull off the plate that sits where the piston and transmission stuff meet, and turn the generator until the points are opened as wide as they'll go.

And, as pictures are worth a thousand words, you might want to check this out:

http://ct90-ct110.com/Adjusting-Points.html
mattwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:39 PM   #18
Woodsrat
Gone ridin'

Oddometer: 1,273
A buddy and I about pulled our hair out (or what little we had left) trying to figure out why his girlfriend's old CT-90 wouldn't rev up. It acted like it was trying to drag a Buick around and had absolutely no power.

Turned out the spark advance unit was frozen in the retarded position. When you set your points make sure yours is free and well lubed.

Eek!! More boring fiction--"One Last Ride in the Hoosier Revisited":
http://www.woodsrat.com
Woodsrat is offline   Reply With Quote