User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2012, 06:19 PM   #46
SpaceManSpiff
Man of Mystery

Oddometer: 1,075
Great discussion --thanks!
(if this was over in thumpers it would have devolved into a between the orange and blue contingents.

Bikes are only good at doing one type of riding --anytime you ask them to have two more missions, you will introduce compromises. I agree with the buying a cheap(er) bike and after riding it enough determine what you like/hate about it then going for the exact bike (it is a moving target ) that has the least compromises to you....

Surprised I didn't hear a suggestion for a DR-Z.
DR-Z 400s are common, inexpensive, and are fun scoots in town, and work well enough for me out in the dirt...(but don't have a 5 speed gearbox that makes them hard to gear for both dirty and hwy work).
Old 04-14-2012, 06:39 PM   #47
stubmw
some what aloof

Oddometer: 2,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by S8W7 View Post
Seems like it would. It weighs about the same as the rest and the MSRP is only about a grand more.

Why are people picking up KLR's, DR's and small KTM's if that thumper GS is the cat's meow?
I love my 2007 F650 GS (single) the newer G650 GS is the same bike. Ask BMW why they changed the model number designation.
The BMW is not near as dirt worthy as the DR. But much better for putting on the hiway miles, it can easily keep up and pass interstate traffic. I have done 600 mile days on mine. But it being a BMW fixing biffs, bound to happen if you really get in to the dirt, can get expensive. The BMW rotax engine has proven itself as reliable as an anvil.

Never had a KLR or KTM so can't direct compare.
stubmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:30 PM   #48
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by perterra View Post
I call bull shit but you call it what you want. It's 35 horsepower.
OK. I'll call it, "Learn how to tune a bike so it doesn't ride like crap.".

I'm not even an expert, but people amaze me when they can't do simple things even with a manual available. Adjusting a BST40 or picking a sprocket ratio isn't rocket science. Of course, I might be stupid for thinking that other people actually read instructions sometimes.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:51 PM   #49
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
OK. I'll call it, "Learn how to tune a bike so it doesn't ride like crap.".

I'm not even an expert, but people amaze me when they can't do simple things even with a manual available. Adjusting a BST40 or picking a sprocket ratio isn't rocket science. Of course, I might be stupid for thinking that other people actually read instructions sometimes.

Yeah, okay, you betcha.

Quote:
My DR will accelerate to pass from 80MPH (indicated) in top gear, uphill, 2-up, carrying luggage, with a stock exhaust.

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:13 PM   #50
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,712
Quote:
Seems like it would. It weighs about the same as the rest and the MSRP is only about a grand more.

Why are people picking up KLR's, DR's and small KTM's if that thumper GS is the cat's meow?
The F650 thumpers were available with ABS too. They also originally came with a carb, as the Funduro. Later models were given EFI.

They're known for being really smooth, fairly powerful, and extremely frugal on fuel. I don't think any 650 thumper gets the MPG like a BMW F650 thumper. My buddy gets in the 60s with his F650CS.

They tend to be heavier than bikes like the DR or XR-L, and seem more biased towards road use...except for the G650X-Challenge. They also tend to cost more to purchase, maintain, modify, insure, and repair.

Why a bike like the DR or KLR? The DR is inexpensive, durable, simple, upgradeable, and hasn't really been changed since 1996. Parts and mods are all over. Try finding an 8gal+ plastic tank and a fully-adjustable suspension swap for another smooth, 365lb or less, 650-class dualsport that never overheats or needs valve shims, runs great on Mexican barrel-gas, and can carry a full load of gear down any passable road.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:15 AM   #51
S8W7 OP
Libertarian

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
Why a bike like the DR or KLR? The DR is inexpensive, durable, simple, upgradeable, and hasn't really been changed since 1996. Parts and mods are all over. Try finding an 8gal+ plastic tank and a fully-adjustable suspension swap for another smooth, 365lb or less, 650-class dualsport that never overheats or needs valve shims, runs great on Mexican barrel-gas, and can carry a full load of gear down any passable road.
Are you affiliated with Suzuki? ;)

In all seriousness, though, thanks for the input! Now that people have pointed out that I'm simply thinking about this too much and just need to go buy one, I'll relax a bit! haha

S8W7 screwed with this post 04-15-2012 at 05:06 PM
S8W7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:43 AM   #52
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
And here's your first example of the Chevy/Ford argument.
You left out Dodge so F.Y.Y.F.F.er!

As to the content of this thread...I'll never understand WHY so many people need validation from the masses to buy the bike of their choice? After all, if you go by what the majority says would be the "best" it might NOT suit your needs/desires because they might be different from all the Sheeples and it isn't REALLY your bike, it's theirs and suits their needs. (maybe not those of your own)

Ask yourself these questions to get going.
1. How much maint do you want to do on your own/afford to have done?
2. What percentage of Hwy vs street and at what speeds?
3. What types of riding in scenario # 2?
4. How do the models you're looking at actually fit into those requirements?
5. Is there factory/aftermarket support to further shoe-horn the models you're looking at, into the above requirements?

There ya go!
My list of the top 5 things you need to know to start thinking for yourself in regards to selecting a D.S.

Make a list and check off the pros and cons. It's simple. REALLY!
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:04 AM   #53
daveoneshot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
" Thinking for yourself " are the key words here.........thanks to Creep.
daveoneshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:41 AM   #54
S8W7 OP
Libertarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercreep View Post
You left out Dodge so F.Y.Y.F.F.er!

As to the content of this thread...I'll never understand WHY so many people need validation from the masses to buy the bike of their choice? After all, if you go by what the majority says would be the "best" it might NOT suit your needs/desires because they might be different from all the Sheeples and it isn't REALLY your bike, it's theirs and suits their needs. (maybe not those of your own)

Ask yourself these questions to get going.
1. How much maint do you want to do on your own/afford to have done?
2. What percentage of Hwy vs street and at what speeds?
3. What types of riding in scenario # 2?
4. How do the models you're looking at actually fit into those requirements?
5. Is there factory/aftermarket support to further shoe-horn the models you're looking at, into the above requirements?

There ya go!
My list of the top 5 things you need to know to start thinking for yourself in regards to selecting a D.S.

Make a list and check off the pros and cons. It's simple. REALLY!
Thanks, creep. I guess you just read the title of the thread and guessed it was the same as the last dozen threads on the matter. I had all of those questions answered in my original post, and clarified in further posts. It isn't a matter of asking people what the best bike is (I never did that), it was asking people what bike best suits my listed criteria.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:26 PM   #55
rgoers
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Quote:
~68 mph is all I'm really interested in doing. It'd be nice to be able to squeeze a little more than that when it comes time to pass or get up a hill, though. Will a 650 thumper not do that?
My buddy has a KLR. His does 70 easily, with plenty left. He complains it is "winding out", but at 70 MPH he's still 2000 RPM away from redline.

Heck, my KLX250 will do 85, but that's getting it pretty close to redline. Wouldn't want to do that very long, and the KLX250 is *WAY* light for any extended highway usage. The KLR is a MUCH better bike for what you're wanting to do with it, and they're plentiful and relatively inexpensive...

rgoers screwed with this post 04-16-2012 at 12:41 PM
rgoers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:28 PM   #56
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
Quote:
Thanks, creep. I guess you just read the title of the thread and guessed it was the same as the last dozen threads on the matter. I had all of those questions answered in my original post, and clarified in further posts. It isn't a matter of asking people what the best bike is (I never did that), it was asking people what bike best suits my listed criteria.
I understood that.
My point, is that it's still all a matter of personal perspective and only YOU, will ever realize what perspective you need.
Opinions are like assholes @ a proctologists convention around here. Every one has one and they're just sitting on it waiting for the right moment to show it and and hope you'll admire it.

...and like that asshole, it'll only really be appreciated by its owner. (hopefully! ya sick bastages)
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:41 PM   #57
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercreep View Post
I understood that.
My point, is that it's still all a matter of personal perspective and only YOU, will ever realize what perspective you need.
Opinions are like assholes @ a proctologists convention around here. Every one has one and they're just sitting on it waiting for the right moment to show it and and hope you'll admire it.

...and like that asshole, it'll only really be appreciated by its owner. (hopefully! ya sick bastages)

Good advice.

I was getting ready to suggest a CT 90 tuned by Kommando.

IBA 22425

perterra screwed with this post 04-16-2012 at 02:47 PM
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:22 PM   #58
S8W7 OP
Libertarian

Thanks, everyone, for your input! Your advice is setting this new motorcyclist on the right path. :)

DR650 vs KLR650 vs G/F650GS

The three way battle to end all battles, it appears. I'll try to get seat time on the first two (no idea where I'll find the BMW to try out.. we don't even have a dealer for those up here) and go from there.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:34 PM   #59
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,605
Quote:
I'll try to get seat time on the first two (no idea where I'll find the BMW to try out.. we don't even have a dealer for those up here) and go from there.
Of course the irony is the BMW dealer is the only one that will let you test ride their bikes. Silly.

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:30 AM   #60
S8W7 OP
Libertarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
Of course the irony is the BMW dealer is the only one that will let you test ride their bikes. Silly.
My local Suzuki dealer allows test rides. Mind you, they're a powersports dealer and they sell boats and canoes and shit as well...could be why they're more lenient.