ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-17-2012, 09:31 AM   #61
Thanantos
Ride hard.
 
Thanantos's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Michigan
Oddometer: 3,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by S8W7 View Post
My local Suzuki dealer allows test rides. Mind you, they're a powersports dealer and they sell boats and canoes and shit as well...could be why they're more lenient.
That's pretty nice and rare.

I got shot down at the HD dealer today for a test ride of a used Dyna.
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:38 AM   #62
S8W7 OP
Libertarian
 
S8W7's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Northern Ontario, Canada
Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
That's pretty nice and rare.

I got shot down at the HD dealer today for a test ride of a used Dyna.
I don't think I could ever allow myself to purchase a used vehicle that I couldn't test drive first.

"No test pilots? Okay. Go get the [insert vehicle here] certified by [insert mechanic of my choice here] and call me back."
__________________
I N · O M N I A · P A R A T U S
S8W7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:41 AM   #63
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer
 
DAKEZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: OR
Oddometer: 19,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
That's pretty nice and rare.

I got shot down at the HD dealer today for a test ride of a used Dyna.
Was it raining or something?
__________________
“Watch out for everything bigger than you, they have the "right of weight"
Bib
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:42 AM   #64
Thanantos
Ride hard.
 
Thanantos's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Michigan
Oddometer: 3,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Was it raining or something?
Nope, manager said, "You can't ride unless you've made a decision to buy."

WTF?!

So I made a decision. I won't be buying anything from that dealership.

Thanantos screwed with this post 04-17-2012 at 10:54 AM
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:26 PM   #65
rgoers
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Northern Utah
Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post


My DR will accelerate to pass from 80MPH (indicated) in top gear, uphill, 2-up, carrying luggage, with a stock exhaust.
I call BS too! You have probably never ridden your DR uphill. Bring it to Utah, and let's see it do what you say it can... I get to pick the hill.
__________________
2009 KLX 250S
If it ain't broke, take it apart and find out why!
rgoers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:14 PM   #66
S8W7 OP
Libertarian
 
S8W7's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Northern Ontario, Canada
Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgoers View Post
I call BS too! You have probably never ridden your DR uphill. Bring it to Utah, and let's see it do what you say it can... I get to pick the hill.
As long as it gets up the hill, with my gear and I on it, it really doesn't matter. Ontario is relatively flat and I've done all of the highways in gutless vehicles before, it's not a concern for me. As long as the machine can maintain highway speeds (110kph/68mph) all day without grenading, I'll be happier than a pig in shit.
__________________
I N · O M N I A · P A R A T U S
S8W7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:20 PM   #67
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur
 
High Country Herb's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Western Sierras
Oddometer: 6,626
If you don't have a BMW dealer within a reasonable distance, you might want to swap it out in your three way comparison for a Honda XR650L. They are a bit taller than the DR, but otherwise similar. Some taller guys prefer that.

I had an older XL600R that I loved, and would also be happy with a DR650 for the same purpose, but the KLR felt as heavy as my Aprilia off road. However, for two-up riding like I do more often now, the KLR would be more appropriate.

Assuming your wife is not as tall as you, a lowered DR for her, and an uncorked XR for you would be a nice pair. You could outfit the XR to carry the heavier camping gear, while lightening/lowering the DR for trail riding.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:35 PM   #68
perterra
-. --- .--. .
 
perterra's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Tejas
Oddometer: 7,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by S8W7 View Post
As long as it gets up the hill, with my gear and I on it, it really doesn't matter. Ontario is relatively flat and I've done all of the highways in gutless vehicles before, it's not a concern for me. As long as the machine can maintain highway speeds (110kph/68mph) all day without grenading, I'll be happier than a pig in shit.

My KLR is peachy at 70 mph, I cant imagine the DR couldn't do the same.

Theres guys who put 685 kits on KLR's and they don't fool around. They are pretty quick for a single and are pretty smooth.

As you can tell by reading all the replies, theres a pretty wide variance of what people deem acceptable acceleration and stability. I'm not knocking singles because I've ridden a lot of 50 and 60 horse twins that didnt accelerate to what I consider acceptable levels from 80 mph 2 up running up hill. So the only one whos gonna know what you like is you.

If your not looking for single track but are thinking fire roads theres loads of others that would be fun. Wee strom, Versys or Triumph scrambler. They are all fun.
__________________
My Father was my maker. Poverty was my maker. Distrust was my maker. I have met them all my life.


IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:57 PM   #69
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer
 
DAKEZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: OR
Oddometer: 19,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
Nope, manager said, "You can't ride unless you've made a decision to buy."

WTF?!

So I made a decision. I won't be buying anything from that dealership.
Wish I had what you were after... I would pick you up at PDX and toss you some keys.
__________________
“Watch out for everything bigger than you, they have the "right of weight"
Bib
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:03 PM   #70
LetItRoll
ForwardAholic
 
LetItRoll's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: North Central Idaho
Oddometer: 92
Most of the bikes mentioned (dr650, klr650, xr650l, drz400s) are excellent overall. Most of the advice and opinions on this subject are very good and accurate for specific conditions and variables, if you want to try and get the best one for yourself the first time you really need to evaluate your exact habits and usages as accuratly as possible. One persons 80/20 street/dirt ratio can vary tremendously with 100 shades of grey in between, normally anybody leaning towards 80/20 street dirt would be looking at a Klr650, Dr650, or even BMW650, however you mention specifically wanting the lightest bike, and giving up less in the dirt, the biggest questions then become, is the 20% easy/moderate dirt or fast serious dirt riding, any playing & jumping around? The other big one is are you ever going to do more than 250 miles per day (total street/dirt) for your adventure usage? Answering that for your situation will help your chances of getting it right the first time, I have done many 4 day 1,000 mile adventure trips, street dirt mix (no interstate) with small groups that have included all of the above bikes, the more dirt worthy bikes are great overall and probably better for your dirt bike background and concerns you mention in your opening post, as long as you are not doing over 250mi. a day (solo of course). They will do it, just not as much fun. If you are planning on some days over 300 miles, or any 50-75+ mile stints on major roads at 70mph you should definetly look at Klr650 etc. Otherwise its hard to go wrong with the more dirt worthy as long as your not in a hurry on the street, once again they will do it, but makes a very tough day out of it for the average rider.

LetItRoll screwed with this post 04-17-2012 at 06:10 PM
LetItRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:54 PM   #71
Thanantos
Ride hard.
 
Thanantos's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Michigan
Oddometer: 3,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Wish I had what you were after... I would pick you up at PDX and toss you some keys.
I believe that. Thanks anyway.
__________________
1999 DR350SE

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:55 PM   #72
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man
 
Kommando's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Spacecoaster FL
Oddometer: 6,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgoers View Post
I call BS too! You have probably never ridden your DR uphill. Bring it to Utah, and let's see it do what you say it can... I get to pick the hill.
I never mentioned anything about the DR doing it at western slope altitudes, and I know Florida is generally pancake-land, but if you've ever been over a causeway bridge spanning the intercoastal waterway on this side of the island, you know that can be plenty of grade to test uphill passing ability...even if it IS near sea-level.

2-up mile-eating at anything faintly resembling legal speeds on the I-95 Speedway is no big deal for a tuned DR, if it's got enough air to breathe well. Your crowded butts aint likely gonna be happy on the tiny stock seat for long, but the DR won't care. It'll keep right on singing. Come on out east next winter, once steambath season is over here, and try it for yourself.

Be forewarned...If you come to ride Ocala NF with a few of us, one of the other DR owners out this way may try to pass you on the grassy shoulder if you're lolly-gaggin' around in his way below 90MPH. 'Dude aint quite right.

Kommando screwed with this post 04-17-2012 at 09:01 PM
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:12 PM   #73
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man
 
Kommando's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Spacecoaster FL
Oddometer: 6,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by S8W7 View Post
My local Suzuki dealer allows test rides. Mind you, they're a powersports dealer and they sell boats and canoes and shit as well...could be why they're more lenient.
After you test-ride an anemic stocker DR, come on down to MickeyLand and try one that's been uncorked a bit, if you like. Some of the other DR owners may be closer to you though, and have one with a pumper carb and free-flowing exhaust.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:34 PM   #74
S8W7 OP
Libertarian
 
S8W7's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Northern Ontario, Canada
Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetItRoll View Post
Most of the bikes mentioned (dr650, klr650, xr650l, drz400s) are excellent overall. Most of the advice and opinions on this subject are very good and accurate for specific conditions and variables, if you want to try and get the best one for yourself the first time you really need to evaluate your exact habits and usages as accuratly as possible. One persons 80/20 street/dirt ratio can vary tremendously with 100 shades of grey in between, normally anybody leaning towards 80/20 street dirt would be looking at a Klr650, Dr650, or even BMW650, however you mention specifically wanting the lightest bike, and giving up less in the dirt, the biggest questions then become, is the 20% easy/moderate dirt or fast serious dirt riding, any playing & jumping around? The other big one is are you ever going to do more than 250 miles per day (total street/dirt) for your adventure usage? Answering that for your situation will help your chances of getting it right the first time, I have done many 4 day 1,000 mile adventure trips, street dirt mix (no interstate) with small groups that have included all of the above bikes, the more dirt worthy bikes are great overall and probably better for your dirt bike background and concerns you mention in your opening post, as long as you are not doing over 250mi. a day (solo of course). They will do it, just not as much fun. If you are planning on some days over 300 miles, or any 50-75+ mile stints on major roads at 70mph you should definetly look at Klr650 etc. Otherwise its hard to go wrong with the more dirt worthy as long as your not in a hurry on the street, once again they will do it, but makes a very tough day out of it for the average rider.
I'm definitely looking at some 400 mile days. I have always driven the ~400 miles from Sudbury to Kingston (to visit family) in one shot on four wheels, so I'd like to be able to do the same with a bike. It's usually about an 8-10 hour drive, depending on which route I take and how many stops I make along the way. Lately I've been taking a wonderful scenic route which keeps me off the 400-series freeways and I'd be doing the same on a bike. It's longer but it gives me more opportunities to take different roads and explore small communities that I've never visited.

That's really just one example of hundreds that I'll be doing on my bike! I definitely need something that will eat up the highway. On the other end of the spectrum, however, I would like to be able to continue to make use of the local roads...



Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
After you test-ride an anemic stocker DR, come on down to MickeyLand and try one that's been uncorked a bit, if you like. Some of the other DR owners may be closer to you though, and have one with a pumper carb and free-flowing exhaust.
I've never owned anything with an engine that didn't see tuning, modification, and upgrades shortly after I picked it up. I'm pretty content with the fact that I'll be changing the bike quite a bit in an effort to tailor it to my requirements and preferences (though I don't have much of the later just yet, still too green!). I'd go so far as to say that adding and tuning the farkles we throw on the machines is half the fun!

That said, if there's a bike out there that does this better in stock trim, thus needing fewer modifications to make "right," all the better.
__________________
I N · O M N I A · P A R A T U S

S8W7 screwed with this post 04-17-2012 at 10:07 PM
S8W7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:31 AM   #75
glasswave
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Wasatch Mtns, UT
Oddometer: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by S8W7 View Post
I'm looking to get into the lightest bike that will still handle itself well in "adventure" mode. Lots of highway mileage, bags, etc. I don't want to get into too much bike, and I'm constantly reading on here about people having to wrestle their giant litre bikes through the gnarly stuff and how utterly exhausted they are afterwards. I'd like to avoid that if I can, which is why I'm leaning towards the smallest bike that will still take me down the highway, get me to work, and still let me play in the bush every once in a while without making me feel like I'm wrestling an alligator. I want a machine that isn't going to be a total pig in the dirt - I don't plan on doing any single track or motocross stuff with it, but I don't want to have an uphill battle just trying to explore an ATV trail every once in a while. The bike will be my fair-weather daily driver (mostly in town), so my overall usage will probably be 80/20 pavement/dirt. Even though the machine won't see dirt every day, I would rather not compromise too heavily in that regard.
The KLR & to a lesser extent, the DR will still be fairly piggish in truly rough terrain especially when loaded with boxes and gear. My Honda Falcon 400 is pretty much a pig at 360 wet.

It sounds like more of what you are after would be a KTM 690 Ralley Raid Adventure. This will give you nearly vStrom power at only 313 lbs. Plus it has full MC suspension. Better yet, would be to rig up a KTM 500 exc (255lbs) with a larger tank, better seat, some soft bags and minimalist camping gear. It won't be a comfy tarmac mile muncher, but you're young and tough so comfort-smumfort. Add some super moto wheels for true urban hooliganism.

Personally, I'd go with something much more comfy given your stated uses, but I am old and soft. On all but the roughest trails, something like a Tiger 800xc handles just fine, you simply have to go slower and ride more carefully.








with sm wheels

__________________
• Indian Himalaya:Gangotri-Shimla-Manali-Pavarti-Spiti-Leh-Kargil-Padum-Sringhar-Daramsala (3 mo.--2x)
• Kazakstan-Krygyzstan-Tajikistan-Xin Xiang to Lhasa, Tibet on China 219!-Nepal (7 months)
• Santiago, Chile to Ushuia Argentina and up to Cusco, Peru (7 months)
• Peruvian Andes (3 months)
• N Chile - Medellin, Colombia (3 months) ••• Cartegena, CO to N Chile (3 months)

glasswave screwed with this post 04-18-2012 at 01:28 PM
glasswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014