Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2012, 09:52 AM   #16
OldPete2112
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
I usually throw them the ADV salute! They love that. Also, be sure your buddy is naked under his chaps, wears his "patch" proudly and has a WWII German helmet with swastikas tattooed all over his body. They just eat that shit up! Leave the passports at home and have a bandoleer and an AK47 dangling from his shoulder! Again, a real crowd pleaser to be sure. Basically, look like Denis Hopper from Easy Rider....but a little scruffier.
Lyle

I think I have seen people like that at the border! Sure makes it easy for me to cross when they divert all the attention to themselves.

OP
OldPete2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:11 PM   #17
Melsea
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
[QUOTE=gto3;18443720]Hey there ladies and gents

I'm sure a lot of you have crossed the border and I was hoping to get some feedback on your experiences.Do customs officials generally give motorcyclists a hard time ? ...

Last summer I crossed over to the US from BC on my bike.
1) If possible, make a minor crossing before any major trips to see if any flags are raised.
2) Ensure you can name a DESTINATION even if you plan on zig zagging or don't have many plans. Even better to have a few camping/hotel reservations in hand. The whole point of border crossings is to give them peace of mind that you won't disappear down there.
3) I have travelled through 11 countries (not on bike), and find having a letter from my employer or some pay stubs & copy of mortgage on hand useful. May sound intense, but if questioned beyond the basics (where you going, how long, do you know people down there etc). it helps show that you have a reason to return to Canada once your trip is over.
4) Don't pack fruits & veggies ... they'll ask about bringing food. It's easier and makes for lighter travel to just shop along the way.

Cheers,
Melsea
Melsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:36 AM   #18
swellguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by moondoggie View Post
I cross often on the bike with a Nexus card. My total time at the boarder is about 2 min including time in line because there is never one in the Nexus only line.
As do I but you'll never get a Nexus card with a criminal record.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:11 AM   #19
NaeKid
Ancient member, eh?

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by swellguy View Post
As do I but you'll never get a Nexus card with a criminal record.
I never heard of this Nexus-card before, so, I hit-up Google to try to find out more information. Found lots of sites where you can put in all your information and get the card, but, that kind of worries me as I don't know if some of them might be phishing for details.

Where should I get a Nexus card from and does it work instead of a passport or does it work with a passport?
Old 04-16-2012, 11:34 AM   #20
TorontoDude
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 396
Nexus cards are for people who cross alot.

you need to go in person for an interview where they will ask you why you are applying.

there;s only one way to apply for a Nexus card : https://goes-app.cbp.dhs.gov/main/goes

you can do land crossings with a Nexus pass, but if you fly you need both Nexus and a passport. NExus does not work on the Mexican border.
TorontoDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:05 PM   #21
NaeKid
Ancient member, eh?

Oddometer: 168
How much is alot? I haven't been near the border for about 10 years because of a hassle just after 9/11 happened, but, I would like to go down and visit some friends who just bought a vacation-place in Montana - probably would be between 6 to 10 trips in a summer and probably nothin' in the winter.

In my case, would it be better just to use a passport (which I would have to get anyway) ...
Old 04-16-2012, 12:27 PM   #22
moondoggie
AN HOWZER

Oddometer: 167
I have walked past 45min lines at the airport and used my Nexus to get past the boarder guys, that was good enough for me to have it.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:31 PM   #23
swellguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Nexus card

You apply for an appointment online from the address listed above.
You need to go to both Canadian and US border services to be interviewed, pre-cleared and photographed. Most convenient place to do this is at an international airport.
The pass is a "trusted traveler" kind of card that lets you go through express lanes at border crossings.
A credit card is also tied to your nexus card. You must declare all your purchases using one of their cards. All duties and taxes are charged to that credit card.
It is your responsibility to keep information current and follow their rules to a "T".
Failure to break any of their rules can likely result in the card being revoked and you will never get another one again.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:48 PM   #24
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,290
Quote:
Failure to follow all of their rules can likely result in the card being revoked and you will never get another one again.
correction
Old 04-17-2012, 06:27 AM   #25
willys
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,904
I have a pardon and used to have a wavier to travel across the border but it ran out and I have no desire to pay through the nose for one again......it didn't make that much difference in my crossing the border other than actually being allowed to cross. BUT.....I was always detained for the usual hours or waiting and questions while they rechecked all my information. I'm 53 and has a theft under $200 31 years ago...all completely cleared up and resolved up here. Even the local law enforcement can't see my record when asked to check, but the US border guards can see it in a heartbeat!

I have no desire other than maybe a winter ride to warm up to ever go back to the States, nothing against the people down there just the over zealous border guards who have too much interest in such petty issues 32 years ago.

Just because you jump through all the hoops and get all the paperwork and hand it to them as you stop at the booth, don't expect to get through......it is still at the discretion of that particular guard to either send you through or into secondary screening or turn you around without reason.........just be prepared and like someone has said.....do a few pre-trip crossings to get them ready for the real adventure just to see what is required etc.

I have been turned back once, it ruined my trip south and also the vacation of the person I was going with.

Yes I do understand all the fuss, but for such petty issues so far back without a second offence.........come on.....it's not as if I have a rag on my head and a bomb strapped to my waist!....WTF????
Old 04-17-2012, 07:56 AM   #26
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by willys View Post
Even the local law enforcement can't see my record when asked to check, but the US border guards can see it in a heartbeat!
That is bizarre. Invisible in this country but a foreign power has access. WTF indeed!
Old 04-17-2012, 07:58 AM   #27
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,727
Quote:
You apply for an appointment online from the address listed above.
You need to go to both Canadian and US border services to be interviewed, pre-cleared and photographed. Most convenient place to do this is at an international airport.
The pass is a "trusted traveler" kind of card that lets you go through express lanes at border crossings.
A credit card is also tied to your nexus card. You must declare all your purchases using one of their cards. All duties and taxes are charged to that credit card.
It is your responsibility to keep information current and follow their rules to a "T".
Failure to break any of their rules can likely result in the card being revoked and you will never get another one again.
Got mine 2 months ago. No need to visit Canada Customs. This system is a U.S. 'inspired' program, therefore they are looking after all backchecks/interviews.

Steve
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:49 AM   #28
sturgeon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250senuf View Post
That is bizarre. Invisible in this country but a foreign power has access. WTF indeed!
Just means US Customs have good record-keeping and long memories. Still sucks.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:10 PM   #29
Snarky
Vodka Infused.

Oddometer: 1,342
I know 9/11 9/11 9/11.... The Canadians didn't blow up the world trade center, why do we not have an open border with this country? They aren't trying to sneak down here for our universal healthcare or our low crime or loose drug laws. It's insane... we share two giant borders with Canada they should be able to come and go as they please. Damn Canadians coming down here, trying to steal our unemployment and debt.

It actually seems like its easier for Mexicans to come over both legally for a visit or not for a lifetime.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk
Pledge today! Service guarantees citizenship. @ http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com Thanks.
Snarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:33 PM   #30
preppypyro
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by willys View Post
I have a pardon and used to have a wavier to travel across the border but it ran out and I have no desire to pay through the nose for one again......it didn't make that much difference in my crossing the border other than actually being allowed to cross. BUT.....I was always detained for the usual hours or waiting and questions while they rechecked all my information. I'm 53 and has a theft under $200 31 years ago...all completely cleared up and resolved up here. Even the local law enforcement can't see my record when asked to check, but the US border guards can see it in a heartbeat!
It was always my understanding that if you were pardoned for a crime, and as long as you have never crossed over the border before your pardon that they would have zero access to your criminal record, basically because they would never know who you are.. at least till you try to cross over.

Im sorta in the same position as you, I have a possession of stolen goods from when I just turned 18 (which was a damn bogus deal, but thats a different story all together lol), and I am waiting on a pardon for that. Ive never crossed, or tried to cross into the states before, and from all my reading I concluded that they would never know about my criminal record from 15 years ago.

Maybe you can shed some light on that for me? Not meaning to hijack!
preppypyro is offline   Reply With Quote