Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2014, 10:12 PM   #1
Yakima OP
I'm slow...

Oddometer: 263
Decision time: new bike. But which?

Greetings, Earthlings

I'm in the market for a new bike. I put something up in the Sport Tourers--Where Art Thou? thread. thought I'd give it a try on a wider market.

Here's what I wrote, with a few edits, on the other thread:

I've been riding for five years. I'm closing in on 60 years old. I'm short in stature, with a 28 inch inseam.
I'm not a speed-demon. I like to ride more than I like to go FAST. Anything larger than 1000 cc is probably wasted on me. Dirt, gravel, off-road capability is unnecessary.

Right now I ride a 1985 Honda Nighthawk 650 which has taken me on many trips over many miles.
I just cleaned the carbs. Again. Rebuilt the top end a couple years ago. It still burns oil.

I have between 5-6,000 dollars for a new-to-me bike. Maybe a bit more. I'd like to make this my last bike purchase. The Chancellor of the Exchequer (the wife) has emphasized that too.

Doesn't have to be new.

My list of criteria isn't too long:
+ Shaft drive preferred. (Those of you with modern chains on your bike: convince me of their ease and greatness?)
+ fuel injection
+ comfortable for 200 miles minimum before stopping (I know: high subjectivity on that one)
+ four gallons minimum in tank
+ hard side cases either standard or readily available without having to kludge them onto the bike
+ better than 40 MPG would be nice.
+ No harley-style "cruiser" or V-twins turned sideways. Guzzi's are good: V is pointed properly!

I confess to liking Hondas. The PC800--even that. But it has carbs. ST1100 is another I like. I've seen some 919s and Blackbirds set up for touring--sweet! (Chain though...) i like the new Honda NC series bikes. Not much "fun," but great MPG. But chain drive.

A riding buddy has an FJR -- likey likey! Too heavy? Too much?

I'm disinclined toward BMWs for cost and other less rational reasons.

If it fits in budget, "building" a touring bike has its appeal. that is, getting the bike, adding a rack and side cases, wind shield, grip heaters, etc.

What might you recommend I consider? Are my criteria off, and, if so, how?
Many thanks.
Yakima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:28 PM   #2
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,668
Given that I'd take a close look at a Moto Guzzi V7 Stone. A slightly used one should be in the price range. A last year model might be close.

I think it checks all your boxes there.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:34 PM   #3
Yakima OP
I'm slow...

always liked Guzzis.
long distance? rack? cases?
i like to travel...
Old 06-02-2014, 10:43 PM   #4
cug
--

Check the Accessories section on the Guzzi site. They have racks, hard cases, windshield, all right there. If you buy from a dealer, I bet they'll be happy to install it for you - although for a price.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:44 PM   #5
cug
--

Here you go:

http://motoguzzi-us.com/motorcycles/...cessories.html
Old 06-02-2014, 10:50 PM   #6
No Coast Rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
That cash can get you a used Yamaha FZ1 or FZ6 depending on your preference. I put 20,000 miles on a FZ1, and it was a great ride for me. Very comfortable, I only have a 29" inseam and I did fine with it's height. I also equipped mine with SW Motech racks and Givi V35 side cases for travel.

The second Gen FZ1 is pretty much unchanged from 2006 to present and is fuel injected. It has a chain, but all my bikes have, yeah it occasionally needs to be adjusted and cleaned, just part of owning a bike. I usually spray mine with lube real quick sheet riding in the rain, which is pretty frequent.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
No Coast Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:50 PM   #7
cug
--

Let's go through the list:

Quote:
+ Shaft drive preferred. (Those of you with modern chains on your bike: convince me of their ease and greatness?)
+ fuel injection
+ comfortable for 200 miles minimum before stopping (I know: high subjectivity on that one)
+ hard side cases either standard or readily available without having to kludge them onto the bike
+ No harley-style "cruiser" or V-twins turned sideways. Guzzi's are good: V is pointed properly!
+ Has Shaft
+ Looks comfortable (I don't have one)
+ 5.8 gallon tank
+ hard side cases available on the Guzzi page (Hepco & Becker Junior)
+ According to fuelly.com a lot of people get >50mpg
+ No cruiser
+ correctly oriented v-twin (for your taste, I don't mind different orientation)
Old 06-03-2014, 01:15 AM   #8
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,316
another vote for a pre owned FZ1 of even a FZ6.

chains? easy to adjust and clean, they last awhile too. the FZ6 also has a centerstand

FZ6

FZ1

Old 06-03-2014, 02:46 AM   #9
Iranian
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
I have only had bikes with carbs and I have put about 90 000 km on my bikes with out any problem what so ever with carbs or anything else for the matter. My personal view is that carbs are still smoother then some FI bikes.

Chain, I am going to today change my original chain from Factory. It lasted for 65000 km. Chains today are a whole better then in the past.

Shaft drive need's also maintaince. You need to keep the splines lubericated and you also need to change the oil in the final drive.

If I have understood your demands correctly I would like to recommend you to try deuaville 700. I don't know if it is avaiable in US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakima View Post
Greetings, Earthlings

I'm in the market for a new bike. I put something up in the Sport Tourers--Where Art Thou? thread. thought I'd give it a try on a wider market.

Here's what I wrote, with a few edits, on the other thread:

I've been riding for five years. I'm closing in on 60 years old. I'm short in stature, with a 28 inch inseam.
I'm not a speed-demon. I like to ride more than I like to go FAST. Anything larger than 1000 cc is probably wasted on me. Dirt, gravel, off-road capability is unnecessary.

Right now I ride a 1985 Honda Nighthawk 650 which has taken me on many trips over many miles.
I just cleaned the carbs. Again. Rebuilt the top end a couple years ago. It still burns oil.

I have between 5-6,000 dollars for a new-to-me bike. Maybe a bit more. I'd like to make this my last bike purchase. The Chancellor of the Exchequer (the wife) has emphasized that too.

Doesn't have to be new.

My list of criteria isn't too long:
+ fuel injection

I confess to liking Hondas. The PC800--even that. But it has carbs. ST1100 is another I like. I've seen some 919s and Blackbirds set up for touring--sweet! (Chain though...) i like the new Honda NC series bikes. Not much "fun," but great MPG. But chain drive.

A riding buddy has an FJR -- likey likey! Too heavy? Too much?

I'm disinclined toward BMWs for cost and other less rational reasons.

If it fits in budget, "building" a touring bike has its appeal. that is, getting the bike, adding a rack and side cases, wind shield, grip heaters, etc.

What might you recommend I consider? Are my criteria off, and, if so, how?
Many thanks.
Iranian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 05:28 AM   #10
Super Sneaky Steve
B@nned Club :D

Oddometer: 3,806
Throw your criteria out the window and get a Bolt!
Super Sneaky Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 05:46 AM   #11
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,714
Quote:
get a Bolt
Heh.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:38 AM   #12
MariusD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 413
So you like honda and don't like v twin cruiser styling?! Sounds like a vfr800 should be on your list. One can be found used in your price range.
MariusD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 09:47 AM   #13
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,099
Another vote for the NTV700, if you can locate one. It is the modern PC800.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:27 AM   #14
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,426
1st Gen connie!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
I wanna go terrorize hipsters at farmers markets... in first and second gear. Farm fresh burnouts for all!
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 11:20 AM   #15
Yakima OP
I'm slow...

Lots of great ideas, except for the Bolt... Thanks!
I actually like the Deauville. It was in the USA, briefly, and is now gone. I could probably find one, but the servicing is challenging: much plastic to remove and a few other hassles, if I remember correctly.
I appreciate the carb comments. I'm just sick of the hassle, at least on my 85 Honda. It's a bitch to get them out and in. After that, it's just opening up, cleaning, etc. No big deal. I _could_ keeping doing it, not sure I want to.
First Gen Connie? Could I fit? I confess to having a soft spot for Concourses. (Is that the plural??) And it's carbed, too?

With the crap that is sold as "Fuel" here fuel injection sure simplifies things.

I'm not very familiar with the FZ1/6 or VFR800: long distance comfort? low enough for us short-folk? What should I look for in a used bike? What problems seem to persist with these bikes?

One of you pointed me to the Guzzi V7: looks good, specs are good. Ride? Distance? I have to go find a few reviews.

THANKS, all of you: much food for thought, and I'm hungry!