User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2015, 02:54 AM   #1
Jimmy the Heater OP
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 2,023
Best GSXR 600 years?

I went to a motorcycle show today, sat on an 08 GSXR 600 and can't get the thought of it out of my head.

I currently have a GSX650F, and while I love the engine in it, the thing weighs about 550 lbs gassed up which I find pretty porky for a 600 class bike. Looking at the spec sheet of the GSXR, it shows about 120 lbs less than my 650 which would be a huge difference. After decades of riding and many heavy bikes, I'm finally starting to appreciate lightness and think I might want to try a 600 supersport before my back can no longer take it.

I admit to liking the styling of the 04+ bikes so I would like to stay newer than that if I decide to get one. Are there any years to stay away from?
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 07:14 AM   #2
Tim_Tom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 370
No years to stay away from per say, but some are better than others. I believe it was 05 that Suzuki shifted development focus from The 750 to the 600. I would try for that generation. Just be sure it wasn't too abused by its previous owners and you'll have an awesome bike!
Tim_Tom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 11:06 AM   #3
Jimmy the Heater OP
Tilting the Horizon

Ah yes, good point. I'm certainly on the lookout for ones that haven't been stunted or have 2 sets of race plastics with them.

I'm always leery of delving into a new model. Was helping a friend shop for an R6 when I found out about the oiling issue on 06 and 07's. Wanted to make sure there was nothing like that on the Suzy.
Old 03-15-2015, 01:10 PM   #4
Mtneer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Make sure the front master has been replaced under recall, they are a weak link in the braking, I replaced mine with a Brembo RSC, but got a new one from the dealer under the recall. I have a 750(05 20th anniversary edition), it has been trouble free but only has about 8500 miles on it, used it for street and track riding, never had anything go wrong, still has the original battery(kept it on a trickle charger). I think there was also a R/R recall on 08-09, plus they are same bike except for graphics, 06-07 are the same, 04-05 are, 11 to the current are also the same bikes. If you're looking at 600's you might as well check out the 750. I sometimes want to sell mine but with the street plastic it looks like new, the paint scheme mimics the 85/86 graphics. The riding position is getting extreme for me but LSL makes a bar kit and there are a couple of companies that make lower pegs, set up that way it would be sport tourer comfortable. Lots of parts interchange and a lot available because they're crashed a lot, insurance is high, so check rates out.
Mtneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 03:53 PM   #5
Jimmy the Heater OP
Tilting the Horizon

Ergo's are important and I've been reading the GSXR touring thread for options. That being said, this is not going to be my only bike. I have a few others that are better suited to long distance work. The main goal for this is light weight, sharp handling and top shelf suspension.

The torque of the 750 does call to me, but I'm thinking the lower rotating mass of the 600 would match my other goals better? Either way, I'm sure I wouldn't be disappointed in either one, power wise.

Good info on the recalls, I didn't even think to check that.
Old 03-15-2015, 04:34 PM   #6
espacef1fan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 674
The last HUGE change was in 2006 in my opinion. So anything 2006 and up is going to be good, if you find a good example.
espacef1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 02:55 PM   #7
Subito
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy the Heater View Post
I went to a motorcycle show today, sat on an 08 GSXR 600 and can't get the thought of it out of my head.

I currently have a GSX650F, and while I love the engine in it, the thing weighs about 550 lbs gassed up which I find pretty porky for a 600 class bike. Looking at the spec sheet of the GSXR, it shows about 120 lbs less than my 650 which would be a huge difference. After decades of riding and many heavy bikes, I'm finally starting to appreciate lightness and think I might want to try a 600 supersport before my back can no longer take it.

I admit to liking the styling of the 04+ bikes so I would like to stay newer than that if I decide to get one. Are there any years to stay away from?
I just got a 2006 Honda CBR600 F4i for my 60th birthday and it is a stone gas. Took it for its first longish ride (about 130 miles) on Saturday. The Wisconsin roads are still covered with sand/salt/etc. so I took it real easy, but holy crap this thing is a riot to ride. It just wants to fricken' GO GO GO all the time, like a frisky puppy that just tugs on the leash and tries to run and run! It's also incredibly light on its feet, it makes my Hawk GT feel like a Greyhound bus by comparison. I still need to adjust the shift pedal and clutch and brake levers, they were killing my wrists because they're rotated too high. And I want to put a new front tire on before I really cut loose...

Maybe it's because I'm just so used to the Hawk, but I sure didn't think this thing feels gutless below 8K or so. It pulls nice and strong from 4K; not neck-snapping power but it smoothly spools up and never feels like it's laboring. The intake and exhaust noise is addictive, and that's with the stock stuff still in place. I can't wait until the roads get clean and the weather gets better!

So for any old pharts like me who have been thinking about grabbing a supersport before it's too late, I say GO FOR IT!
Subito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 04:32 PM   #8
Jimmy the Heater OP
Tilting the Horizon

I used to have a Hawk GT and while I loved it's slimness (is that a word?) and handling, I never did like it's engine. Your description of your F4i is very very encouraging! I have only ridden 1 600cc supersport before. A ZX6r and while not a torque monster, it certainly wasn't the gutless wonder that a lot of people say that 600's are. Heck, after 30+ years of riding one of the favorite bikes in my stable is my Ninja 250.

Many on this board are familiar with Navin's wish for a high quality low CC bike. I am with him in that wish. If they made a 400cc 4cyl with supersport suspension, I would be all over that. But a 600 doesn't seem like it would be that far off the mark and I really want to give one a try.

If the riding experience is everything I'm hoping it is, then I can work on making it comfortable for my 44 year old body with a finicky back.
Old 03-16-2015, 05:23 PM   #9
Subito
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
I'm 6'2" and the F4i feels pretty tiny, I don't know that I'd want something any physically smaller. If I need higher bars the 2002 and later VFR clip-ons bolt right on, and Knight Design makes some nice billet footpegs that add about 1 3/8 inches of legroom. I was kinda surprised at how uncomfortable the banana seat is, maybe my butt just got too flabby over the winter...

The F4i's clip-ons are above the triple clamp, I'm not sure I could hack bars below the triple...
Subito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 06:35 PM   #10
CDNTX650
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
I love the compactness of the class. But hate the 600cc engines. But I'm also from riding Vtwinnery super bikes so the 600 to me was gutless below 8k. I did however love the gsxr750 I rode. I think after 04 they got ugly l. But thats IMHO. But I also really like mid to late 90s srad 750 and ninja zx7r from the wsbk glory days. Porky bikes by today's standards of course.
CDNTX650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 07:44 PM   #11
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,738
Don't ride it below 8k.

Really they are fine if you ride it in the rev range they are intended to be ridden
Vertical C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 09:23 PM   #12
Roland44
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical C View Post
Don't ride it below 8k.

Really they are fine if you ride it in the rev range they are intended to be ridden
Second that!
Roland44 is offline   Reply With Quote