User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2014, 04:53 PM   #1
scorch OP
Poser

Oddometer: 3,403
Got myself an old BMW r1100rs

I bought a 1994 bmw r1100rs. I cleaned her up, changed all the fluids. I could have gotten an historic tag for it, but got a regular one.

It rides ok, its chunky. It gets really bad mileage. What do you get on yours? What is the range on the tank?

I dont see alot of r1100rs around, does people have the ability to put alot of electrical things on this bike without problems? If i put electric gear etc?

This is my first bmw, and so far its quirky. The turn signals and cancelling button are not very intuitive it seems.

Anything i should know about these things?

Thank you

scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 06:22 PM   #2
torags
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,454
I had a 2004

I really liked it.. Did a few cross countries & back

I rented a R1100S in Milan and found that burned more gas & some surging - same motor

At that time BMW was being pressured to meet gas mileage required by EPA; there were improvements each year
'07 HD XR 883R Sportster "Widow Maker"///Gone!
IBA #17225
torags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 06:48 PM   #3
scorch OP
Poser

These bikes dont seem to be very popular, the resale value is pretty low on them.

Good for buyers.

What are some things i should do to it? I looked at the hardbags, and they are outragerously expensive.
Old 11-06-2014, 06:51 PM   #4
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,680
scorch, check your plug. if the plug is out, it defaults to open loop fuel map.

http://ibmwr.org/r-tech/oilheads/R11pwmod.shtml
Old 11-06-2014, 06:52 PM   #5
bdonley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 390
I *really* liked my RS1100. Smooth, really confidence inspiring handling, probably better then my Monster. Adjustable seat and windshield were awesome. Don't know about milage, didn't care! Arthritic knees forced me to sell it, even after dropping the pegs and raising the seat. Now that I've had them replaced, I've tried to buy it back. No dice! I put it on consignment at our local independent shop. The owner bought it. doesn't want to sell.....
bdonley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 07:27 PM   #6
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 33,363
You have about 700 watts total from the alternator. Depending on the manufacture date you may or may not have the "cat code plug". Depending on the mileage it may have three layer head gaskets. They were replaced with four layer head gasket due to occasional leaks. Depending on the manufacture date the transmission may have been replaced.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 07:27 PM   #7
RedRam
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
My RS now has about 112,000 miles and is in excellent mechanical shape. Some early bikes had head gasket leaks, BMW has an updated gasket, pretty easy to change. Trannys were known to leak, and oil the clutch. The electrics can more than handle most options, 700 watt output. You should be getting around 45mpg on avg. My best was 53mpg 2 up & loaded. With a 6.1 gallon tank, pretty good range. These are very dependable bikes, but like you said, 'quirky'. Mine has been stone reliable, no regrets. Lots of info; http://www.bikersoracle.com/rs/forum/ http://www.ibmwr.org/ http://www.largiader.com/ and many others. The rs is basically the same as the RT, and GS, so lots of info available. Hope that helps a bit, and welcome to the club.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:29 PM   #8
RedRam
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Sorry to repeat Anoraks reply, beat me to it
Old 11-06-2014, 07:57 PM   #9
torags
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,454
When you change the rear tire, have your spline lubed,

mine went out at 55K +/-
'07 HD XR 883R Sportster "Widow Maker"///Gone!
IBA #17225
torags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 10:25 PM   #10
Johnydiesel
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Congrats on getting one of the most underated classic sport/tourer of its time, it can certainly still hold a candle to even the latest sport tourers.

If you've come from jap bikes it will take a bit of time to get used to it, but after a month of regular riding it will be completely normal just takes time to get used to the funky german girl and her ways lol.

Ive had my 96 r1100RSL for a year and a half and had a few hexhead boxers before the RS, but I have to say the RS is a very capable real world performer and it surprised me just how great it is even compared to newer bikes, yea ok its not quite as peppy as newer stuff, but it tours and handles very well still.

As said these are reliable machines on the whole, keep an eye on the Gbox though and give her a good tune up, ie set the valve clearances, set the TPS up and do a throttle body balance, read up on the tune up tips and she will purr and give you years of putting to shame a few squids in the corners because they don't expect a classic old oilhead to be able to keep with fully loaded hard bags lol.

Anyway read up on them and enjoy it, a very good bike for its time and even in this day of high tech whizz bang bikes, these were made with more thought ,better materials,more basic and reliable systems that handle the passage of time and use better than todays bikes.

It was considered the yard stick in the 90s by which all other sport tourers were judged, and for the price you can pick one up these days for a good tidy original example with luggage,may well still be the best sport tourer for the money out there I reckon.
Johnydiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 10:30 PM   #11
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 33,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRam View Post
Sorry to repeat Anoraks reply, beat me to it
I hit send .001 second before you. You have about three times the mileage on your RS that I put on mine.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 06:43 AM   #12
ausfahrt
mach schnell

Oddometer: 1,749
Nice Bike, congrats.

I wouldn't worry about bags just yet, put some miles on the bike to make sure that you two get along before spending cash on farkles.

You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing, after they have tried everything else.
-Winston Churchill
ausfahrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 07:13 AM   #13
yobuddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
I have had two RS's a '94 and '02 loved both of them. Had to remove the power brake unit on the '02 but other than that both were very reliable. Sold my '94 to a friends wife, she still rides it occasionally with over 90k miles. I rode both bikes to just over 80k miles. They both got about 45 mpg.
yobuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 03:27 PM   #14
scorch OP
Poser

I filled her up today and got 42mpg.

on the way home a car cut me off and i went for the horn, and nothing. It never honked, and then when i got hoome i started looking at the horn, you need to push up to honk instead of in on just about every other bike. Why does bmw do this? All other bikes are standardized it seems.
Old 11-07-2014, 05:28 PM   #15
celticus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 618
That is a good looking bike. If the switchgear is different, figure it out before you leave home.
celticus is offline   Reply With Quote