Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2013, 06:11 PM   #196
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
It is a steel tube frame, cheesy swing-arm, budget brakes, budget suspension, smaller f/I system starter bike marketed to females and new riders. So, you were right to think it was a budget replacement for the FZ6 because... Well it is a budget replacemnet. (and it doesn't belong in this thread)
the fz6 used the same swing arm (at least it looks the same), and the brakes sure look the same. IDK about the suspension. Reviewers praise the handling. It seems to me the money savings is in the frame - and believe it or not there are advantages to a steel frame. Lots of folks complain that the fz6's power is too high in the powerband (I am not in that camp) but the fz6r is tuned to produce more power in the midrange.

I can't see how fz6 owners have any reason to snub the R.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:20 PM   #197
lucky#13
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
The 07+ FZ6 is on my short list for my next bike. I have seen some pictures in this thread of bikes with various belly pans.

Has anyone installed a full lower fairing on their bike?
lucky#13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:40 PM   #198
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
the fz6 used the same swing arm (at least it looks the same),Nope, look again and the brakes sure look the same.again Nope IDK about the suspension. Reviewers praise the handling. Compared to what? It seems to me the money savings is in the frame - and believe it or not there are advantages to a steel frame. Lots of folks complain that the fz6's power is too high in the powerband (I am not in that camp) but the fz6r is tuned to produce more power in the midrange.

I can't see how fz6 owners have any reason to snub the R.
The r has smaller throttle bodies... That is all so far at the engine goes. (Less air passing through)

http://dakez.smugmug.com/Other/Stevi...3rvV&lb=1&s=X2

http://dakez.smugmug.com/Other/Stevi...gXFj&lb=1&s=XL

DAKEZ screwed with this post 02-28-2013 at 08:51 PM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:06 AM   #199
Texcollect
Adventurer wannabe

Oddometer: 195
I know this is the FZ6 thread and I'd hate to be accusedof thread jacking, but since I have both in my garage I can testify to the facts

a. The swingarms are not the same
b. The triple trees on the R just look cheap
c. The brakes are not the same
d. The only thing the engines have in common is bore and stroke (6R is around 20hp down on the 6)
e. The seat on the R is even worse than the standard FZ6 seat
f. The R doesn't come with a center stand

On the plus side
a The clutch on the 6R actually has a friction zone and is much lighter
b The gearbox feels smoother.
c With only 1 headlight you don't get people continually telling you have a headlight out :)
d. The footpeg rubbers on the R are softer, transmit less vibration and can be directly swapped with the FZ6.
e The seat and the bars are (slightly) adjustable

In normal road use you don't miss the 20hp on the R as it has as near as damn it the same torque numbers, but the torque is more evenly distributed. The 6R lacks the the FZ6's Jekyll and Hyde (<8k vs >8k) personality, but that might not be a bad thing :)

Please return to your normal business. These are not the Yamaha's you are looking for !!
Old 03-01-2013, 07:21 AM   #200
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
The r has smaller throttle bodies... That is all so far at the engine goes. (Less air passing through)

http://dakez.smugmug.com/Other/Stevi...3rvV&lb=1&s=X2

http://dakez.smugmug.com/Other/Stevi...gXFj&lb=1&s=XL

OK, you're right - there is more difference between the two bikes than I thought. I still like the R though, and I am a former FZ6 owner. It's kind of shocking to hear someone say the seat on the R is worse than the seat on the 6, because I hated that seat. I put a Corbin on it right away, and that was a huge improvement.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:36 AM   #201
Censport
Vendor

Oddometer: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texcollect View Post

e. The seat on the R is even worse than the standard FZ6 seat
Wow, that's pretty bad. It took me a couple of years to adjust to my FZ6's seat.

Quote:
On the plus side
a The clutch on the 6R actually has a friction zone and is much lighter
b The gearbox feels smoother.
Ah, a definite plus.

Quote:
c With only 1 headlight you don't get people continually telling you have a headlight out :)
One of the reasons my hi-beam is almost always on.

Quote:
Please return to your normal business. These are not the Yamaha's you are looking for !!
...these are not the Yamaha's I am looking for...
Old 03-01-2013, 11:53 AM   #202
Texcollect
Adventurer wannabe

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Censport View Post
One of the reasons my hi-beam is almost always on.
Like most motorcycle owners, I belong to more than 1 forum. A member over on FZ6-Forum.com (BD43) sells a kit that connects up the unused low beam filament on the right side H4 bulb of the bike with the existing truncated wire in the FZ6 wiring loom to enable the right low beam. Do a search for BD43 headlight mod.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:56 PM   #203
NJ-Bill
Life is good

Oddometer: 414
Quote:
On the plus side a The clutch on the 6R actually has a friction zone and is much lighter
Killernoodle's clutch slave fixes this problem on the FZ6.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:37 PM   #204
Censport
Vendor

Oddometer: 424
Quote:
Like most motorcycle owners, I belong to more than 1 forum. A member over on FZ6-Forum.com (BD43) sells a kit that connects up the unused low beam filament on the right side H4 bulb of the bike with the existing truncated wire in the FZ6 wiring loom to enable the right low beam. Do a search for BD43 headlight mod.
Ah, I'm on that forum too. Haven't been on it in quite a while, however. I'll go have a look. Thanks!
Old 03-02-2013, 01:14 PM   #205
Agent3012
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
I added both that clutch save mod and the headlight mod to my 2004 FZ6, and have been very happy with the results.
Agent3012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:35 PM   #206
Olas
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,901
Quote:
FZ6s don't really have much wattage to spare, which is why I think the engineers at Yamaha designed the bike to run with only one headlight. I guess if you don't run anything else (i.e. heated gear, grips, extra lighting, etc...) you'd probably be ok. I left mine as is, since I do run heated grips, and the occasional vest in the winter and do not want to end up with a dead battery. I really need to invest in a volt meter for peace of mind.
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:54 PM   #207
XTreme
Mucho Macho

Oddometer: 617
2005 FZ6 in Spain here.....

Old 03-06-2013, 03:49 PM   #208
Mexi-can't
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
^^^^ The best color combination of the FZ6
Mexi-can't is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:23 PM   #209
Honda55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Just to let you guys know, My 07 Fz6 is for sale here in the FM... Look in my threads for it. I'm located 45 Minutes West of North West of Philly.

Let me know if anyones interested. And thanks for all that have helped me in this thread. I've learned alot and love the Fz, but want to get a little more dirty
Honda55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:59 AM   #210
TS200R
n00b

Oddometer: 4
"New" FZ6

.....well, to me anyhow. Picked up a blue 2006 with under 600 (yes, 600) miles & it was finally nice enough in Toronto over the weekend for a quick rip. After reading all the FZ6 info about lack of torque - I was pleasantly surprised with the low end grunt......& this is coming from owning everything from VFR's to Buells & everything in between over the past 15 years of riding. I'll post some pics as the riding season opens up......hopefully they'll show T.O. to Newfoundland trip scenery in the background. Lovin' this bike.
TS200R is offline   Reply With Quote