Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2014, 09:13 PM   #271
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
I paid 3500 for an '06 with 15k miles in '10. I think an offer of 3500 is reasonable.

As to your reliability question, that bike has 54k miles on it now. First valve check was in spec at 27k. Next one due soon but I'll put it off a bit.

I've kept up on routine maintenance, all fluids (oil, coolant, brakes) and upgraded the fork springs and oil at 45k.

Other than that, gas and tires. Easiest ownership experience ever.
thanks for your reply

i am wondering if the under seat exhaust gets hot to the touch? might seem an obvious question but i don't see how it could being a passengers ass might be right under it. maybe the pipes are insulated somehow?

would these pipes prevent me from using a tail bag of some sort or strapping a back pack to the passenger portion of the seat on account of heat or design?

DudeClone screwed with this post 02-23-2014 at 09:33 PM
DudeClone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:45 PM   #272
Flyinace1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeClone View Post
hi guys

i am in serious buying mode and hope to have a bike in a couple weeks or less. this bike, the fz6, has come to my attention. so i have a few brief questions

reliability: is it very reliable? is it high maintenance? expensive to service, any known issues?

comfort: taller rider, here. 6'2 with a 32in inseam. i just want to be sure if i go look at a couple i won't hop on and be disappointed.

comparison: how much more desirable is this bike considered next to a Suzuki SV650? is it worth paying four times as much for insurance? SV650 is $10 a month, the FZ6 is $40 a month. what about the FZ6 makes it worth the extra $360 a year?

thanks guys. if i have questions about specific bikes, mileage, pricing and making offers i will be back!!

oh, as a standard commuter bike around SoCal, how well will this bike do on a scale of 1/10? urban traffic jams, lane splitting / filtering, and getting on the freeways?

thanks!!
Howdy, I have a 05 FZ6 with 70,000 miles on it. I paid $2800 for mine when it had 40,000 miles on it but it also had some damage to the plastics and a dying battery. Because I ride so much I didn't care about the plastics and just replaced the battery.

They are very reliable, I have only had a couple problems with mine since I bought it with 40,000 miles on it. Easy and cheap to maintain, at 60,000 miles my bike still didn't need its valves adjusted and other than that it is oil changes and tires. If you ride easy, tire's will last you at least 12,000 miles. My last pair lasted me over 15,000 miles.

I find the bike comfortable enough, I just did a 400ish mile day on mine with its stock seat and wasn't too sore. I'm 6'1" with a 33 inch inseam and the fit is pretty good.

My insurance is $50 a month thru progressive and have very good full coverage (high comprehensive, maxed out medical pay, all the uninsured options, one super low deductible, etc) and since I came from a car I had no problem paying that (car insurance was about $60ish for a mid 90s car)

The SV650 and the FZ6 are quite different bikes, and desire is personal. I personally really like my Fazer, it doesn't have much grunt down low but I like that because it's nice and mellow for commuting...but rev it high and it becomes a speed demon. Also, if you want wind protection the faired sv650 has clip ons, if that matters to you.

I ride almost everyday in the LA and inland empire area and bought the bike for commuting and touring. It does great at filtering and getting on freeways. It's thin enough, tho I had a cruiser as well so I can't really compare to others, but I there are few gaps that I can't fit thru, even on the compact freeways of LA. When riding thru traffic scoot to the front of the seat and at your height you'll be sitting practically bolt upright which will make the slow speed maneuvering even easier. As for getting on freeways you'll be past the speed limit faster than most cars can reach 65 and you won't even be out of 2nd gear, but that goes for most sporty bikes.

Oh and some of the parts for the 2007-2009 bikes that differ from the earlier version seem to be considerably more expensive for some reason.

2005 Yamaha FZ6 (the faster blue )
1995 Honda Magna VF750C (sold)
Flyinace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:48 PM   #273
Flyinace1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
thanks for your reply

i am wondering if the under seat exhaust gets hot to the touch? might seem an obvious question but i don't see how it could being a passengers ass might be right under it. maybe the pipes are insulated somehow?

would these pipes prevent me from using a tail bag of some sort or strapping a back pack to the passenger portion of the seat on account of heat or design?
I have ridden with my fiance many times and asked her about that and she says that the seat has never got hot even after long rides. The passenger foot pegs are a little high tho, so a tall passenger will get a bit cramped. And I use throw over soft bags that almost never come off with no problem, but a bracket could be useful to hold them away from the wheel

2005 Yamaha FZ6 (the faster blue )
1995 Honda Magna VF750C (sold)
Flyinace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:21 PM   #274
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,695
^
fantastic posts! nice to hear from a rider local to me that has some real world experience with the bike in and around my own riding environs. you make the bike sound somewhat ideal for the task at hand. and i do like its "wolf in sheep's clothing" appeal when you want to get up and go

thanks for such a nice response
Old 02-24-2014, 02:31 AM   #275
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,900
I got mine with 7500 miles on the clock year ago, it now has 15.000 miles,
no issues other then some stuff caused by neglect by previous owner
(ABS seized becuase the brake fluids were never changed, calipers rusty etc).

Fixed it all, put on a set of new tires and boom, runs great.

It's a bit top heavy compared to my Ninja 650R, eats more gas and has
less torque so that makes the Ninja a better round-town bike, but for
for everything else, FZ6 is superior. I suspect the comparison with the
SV650 would be similar.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:02 AM   #276
Texcollect
Adventurer wannabe

Oddometer: 199
I have a 2009 which now has about 18,000 miles on it.

I am a taller rider (6ft 6 with a 36 inside leg) and have a taller and longer Corbin on it along with a set of lowered footpegs and it fits well.

I did the Republic of Texas 1000 last November on it (along with another guy on an FZ6) and despite having the smallest capacity bike on the ride, by a factor of 2, both the bike and I did great. My total mileage for the weekend was just over 1800 (350 miles each way to the ride and just short of 1100 miles in 24 hours on the ride)

As far as luggage is concerned I have a pair of Nelson Rigg saddlebags and rigged up a spacer under the seat to keep them apart. Between those, a Motocentric tail bag and a magnetic Nelson Rigg tank bag (converted to quick release) I don't think I'd have an issue with a week long or so trip.

For better wind protection I have fitted the bike with a Madstad shield and for more visibility a couple of ADVMonster LED aux lights.

As has been said before below about 8k the bike is a pussy cat, but if you head north of 8k you better be prepared to hold on tight.

Having said all this I am contemplating upgrading to an FJR1300 so mine might be on the market in the near future :)
Old 02-24-2014, 07:15 AM   #277
BanjoBoy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 876
Quote:
is $3500 for this bike a good offer? could i go to $3250, or is $3500 "fair" to both parties? i don't want to low ball any offers, but give fair ones :)

other then owner abuse what could be the matter with these bikes with 10,000 miles on them? what might it need coming up?

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/mcy/4333592328.html
From what I can see, it lookz like a good price even at $4K (Butt if you can get it at $3.5, hell yeah) '07 on are more desirable, they made sum improvements to the brakes 'n stuff.
The FZ6, (like most Yamahas) are the most reliable bikes you can buy, but it may be a bit cramped for you: @ 5'11" it's a little on the cramped side for me. Butt, I'mma worn out, bitter, old bastard, so if yer younger, ya might not mind be'in folded up as much? If ya get a custom seat that's taller, that'd give you mor leg room. Maybe lower the pegs, and do whatever w/ the bars?
Mine seems to have plenty of torque down low, (Though not as much as mah FJR ) and I don't have any trouble ride'in 'round town. Never understood why people say the motor is "peaky?" Maybe their bikes need a tune up?
Old 02-24-2014, 07:20 AM   #278
BanjoBoy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texcollect View Post
I have a 2009 which now has about 18,000 miles on it.

I am a taller rider (6ft 6 with a 36 inside leg) and have a taller and longer Corbin on it along with a set of lowered footpegs and it fits well.

I did the Republic of Texas 1000 last November on it (along with another guy on an FZ6) and despite having the smallest capacity bike on the ride, by a factor of 2, both the bike and I did great. My total mileage for the weekend was just over 1800 (350 miles each way to the ride and just short of 1100 miles in 24 hours on the ride)

As far as luggage is concerned I have a pair of Nelson Rigg saddlebags and rigged up a spacer under the seat to keep them apart. Between those, a Motocentric tail bag and a magnetic Nelson Rigg tank bag (converted to quick release) I don't think I'd have an issue with a week long or so trip.

For better wind protection I have fitted the bike with a Madstad shield and for more visibility a couple of ADVMonster LED aux lights.

As has been said before below about 8k the bike is a pussy cat, but if you head north of 8k you better be prepared to hold on tight.

Having said all this I am contemplating upgrading to an FJR1300 so mine might be on the market in the near future :)
^THIS^
And I have both! You'll luv the FJR

Oh yeah, another great thang 'bout this bike iz the fuel range.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:52 AM   #279
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
thanks for your reply

The seat gets hotter then on bikes without the underseat exhaust, but it's not
something you're likely to notice. The exhausts are well insulated on the sides,
the only part of it that gets really hot is the most inner part (looking from
behind you'll see what the actual exhaust is, it's rather small in diameter).

You can use soft bags no problem.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
Old 02-24-2014, 07:54 AM   #280
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinace1 View Post
howdy, i have a 05 fz6 with 70,000 miles on it.

They are very reliable, i have only had a couple problems with mine since i bought it with 40,000 miles on it. Easy and cheap to maintain, at 60,000 miles my bike still didn't need its valves adjusted
damn!

Old 02-24-2014, 08:01 AM   #281
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanjoBoy View Post
From what I can see, it lookz like a good price even at $4K (Butt if you can get it at $3.5, hell yeah) '07 on are more desirable, they made sum improvements to the brakes 'n stuff.
The FZ6, (like most Yamahas) are the most reliable bikes you can buy, but it may be a bit cramped for you: @ 5'11" it's a little on the cramped side for me. Butt, I'mma worn out, bitter, old bastard, so if yer younger, ya might not mind be'in folded up as much? If ya get a custom seat that's taller, that'd give you mor leg room. Maybe lower the pegs, and do whatever w/ the bars?
Mine seems to have plenty of torque down low, (Though not as much as mah FJR ) and I don't have any trouble ride'in 'round town. Never understood why people say the motor is "peaky?" Maybe their bikes need a tune up?
Try comparing it to a 600-650cc twin and you'll get the picture.

Also, a Bandit 650, CBF600 and Hornet 600 (CB600F) all pull better from
low revs, the FZ6 has the least torque down low in it's class.

Coming from a Ninja 650, the FZ6 felt like a 400cc bike to me.

I'm also 5'11" and don't feel cramped on the bike at all, but the lean on the
bars is a bit more aggressive then on the Ninja 650 and takes more effort
to throw around.

I actually wanted a Bandit but couldn't find a good one, but this thing has
better suspension, brakes, more power (then the little Bandit, and same
as big one) is lighter and has a stiffer frame.

Other then sheer comfort, the FZ6 beats the Bandit and CBF easy, but
you people don't have that dilemma since you don't get those two bikes.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:17 AM   #282
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,911
It is true that the FZ6 motor is pretty much a Jekyll and Hyde situation.

That can be nice in some respects and annoying in others. I didn't enjoy it as much in the city, but now that I live in the country and spend most of my time above 40mph, I like it a bit better. The rush of power at the top end is fairly addictive.
Grainbelt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:21 AM   #283
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
It is true that the FZ6 motor is pretty much a Jekyll and Hyde situation.

That can be nice in some respects and annoying in others. I didn't enjoy it as much in the city, but now that I live in the country and spend most of my time above 40mph, I like it a bit better. The rush of power at the top end is fairly addictive.
The 650R had that nice rush from 7 to 9k too, I wish I used it more often,
but there was never actually a NEED to be that high, so I didn't get to enjoy
it as much as I could have.

With the FZ, you sometimes HAVE TO rev it out all the way, especially now
that I have a +1 front sprocket (that I sometimes regret), it's fun traveling
and waiting for the right moment to overtake that big semi-truck in 2nd
gear, while on the 650R I used to drop from 6th to 5th, and sometimes
not even that.

I can't even imagine how gutless the 2007 R6 is!
..or what the top end rush on it is like!

Old 02-24-2014, 07:31 PM   #284
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,504
my fz6 was stone reliable.

but it shifted like rocks from first to second. hated every single 1-2 shift I did.

it's very weak down low. very fun up high, and poorly injected (snatchy) everywhere in between.

still loved the bike though. I would buy a ptwin or BIG thumper instead though. the torque down low had more value to me now.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:16 PM   #285
mrphotoman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
Try comparing it to a 600-650cc twin and you'll get the picture.

Also, a Bandit 650, CBF600 and Hornet 600 (CB600F) all pull better from
low revs, the FZ6 has the least torque down low in it's class.

Coming from a Ninja 650, the FZ6 felt like a 400cc bike to me.

I'm also 5'11" and don't feel cramped on the bike at all, but the lean on the
bars is a bit more aggressive then on the Ninja 650 and takes more effort
to throw around.

I actually wanted a Bandit but couldn't find a good one, but this thing has
better suspension, brakes, more power (then the little Bandit, and same
as big one) is lighter and has a stiffer frame.

Other then sheer comfort, the FZ6 beats the Bandit and CBF easy, but
you people don't have that dilemma since you don't get those two bikes.
LMAO now that is a bunch of bs. My wife has a er6n/650r and I had a fz6. The fz6 is much faster than the 650r and it is no way "gutless" down low. you must be one of those granny shifters that rides a sporty bike like a cruiser.
mrphotoman is offline   Reply With Quote