Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2012, 12:41 PM   #31
badweatherbiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 693
I have them pulled back a bit and higher for a relaxed ride, fels like a dirt bike with the FZ1 bars.
with the stock bars they may not work though.
Advocare products-www.advocare.com/12084065
badweatherbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:52 PM   #32
ag_streak
Tiene Ruta Cuarenta?

Oddometer: 3,112
I just picked up this '08 today!

It had, get this, 200 miles! Yes, 200 miles!!

The PO bought it as his first bike to commute on, but immediately got a new job at work that he had to travel for, so he stuck the bike in a garage, moved to Florida a while later, and moved the bike into his dad's garage. It fell over on it's left side, but zero plastic damage. Only the engine case cover has scratches.

Starts and runs perfect. All the fluids were changed. I'm wary of the tires, but they look perfect, I'll change the battery, no surface corrosion, chain was well-coated the whole time. I asked if he used fuel stabilizer, but he didn't. His dad rode it at least once a month.

Anything else to look for?

2008_FZ6_3

2008_FZ6_2
ag_streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:24 PM   #33
SnappNBrrap
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by badweatherbiker View Post
I have an '04 and actually had it for sale here but I keep flip flopping because it is a great bike, just needs a better seat lower pegs and some sidebags.
I likely will end up keeping it but if I do I may have to sell a kidney to replace said parts.
sent the seat to Spencer's seat mod. here's a link:

http://greatdaytoride.com/

cheap mod and everyone says the return is relatively fast. supposedly every bit as good as a corbin would be except not as slick.

for good softbags check out the SW Motech Blaze sysetem. and you should be able to get lower pegs relatively cheap.

09 Yamaha FZ6 in Faster Blue
SnappNBrrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:30 PM   #34
SnappNBrrap
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
nice ride AG! looks just like mine, even has the massive license plate holder. just make sure it runs fine and that if you take it up to 10-12k that it doesn't lose pressure or spit fluid out of the case. if you havent ridden one of these before. it is a bit bipolar. really tame until about 7k then from 7500rpm+ it comes alive.

09 Yamaha FZ6 in Faster Blue
SnappNBrrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:14 AM   #35
NJ-Bill
Life is good

Oddometer: 400
Nice find, ag_streak. Good luck with it.

NJ-Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:24 PM   #36
ag_streak
Tiene Ruta Cuarenta?

Hard Bag Options

I'm leaning towards a set of Givi V35s for the 2008 FZ6, but before I plunge, I was wondering if anyone could post any pictures of aluminum or other top-opening adventure-style hard bags mounted on an FZ6.

My search-fu is weak today. Couldn't come up with any!

Thanks in advance...
Old 05-08-2012, 12:30 PM   #37
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,696
Found some on the FZ6 forum. SW-Motech Trax cases.

http://www.fz6-forum.com/forum/album.php?albumid=1236

And here's the link to twisted throttle, who sells them. You'd have to get the right adapter for Trax cases, and the cases themselves.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/3776/660/
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:31 PM   #38
ag_streak
Tiene Ruta Cuarenta?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
Found some on the FZ6 forum. SW-Motech Trax cases.

http://www.fz6-forum.com/forum/album.php?albumid=1236

And here's the link to twisted throttle, who sells them. You'd have to get the right adapter for Trax cases, and the cases themselves.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/3776/660/
Oooh, yeah, those are nice. Thanks for posting that.

I had some on a Versys. For some reason, the brackets from SW Motech are a lot more than Givi racks. Decisions, decisions...
Old 05-09-2012, 02:46 PM   #39
pachap
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 662
I got to get a good look at a co-workers 2007 FZ6 today as we went on a short ride together, about 80 miles. I was quite impressed with how I felt while sitting on it. I will be picking up a new bike this summer and have looked at everything in this range and have gravitated towards a Versys or a Weestrom, but after spending a little time on my co-workers bike I now very interested in the new FZ6R. After a quick look on CycleTrader it seems that you could pick this bike up on the cheap. Looks to be a decent aftermarket as well, at least for the farkles I want, like V35's, risers, and lower pegs.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:07 PM   #40
Mathias52
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Here are a couple of a mate of mine on his FZ6. He is pushing 70 but he isnt scared to take it anywhere.

Mathias52 screwed with this post 05-09-2012 at 03:29 PM
Mathias52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:09 PM   #41
Mexi-can't
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
^^^^ That's awesome!
Mexi-can't is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:01 AM   #42
Mathias52
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
can others see the photos I posted above, they seem to have been deleted?? not sure why.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:40 AM   #43
ag_streak
Tiene Ruta Cuarenta?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachap View Post
I got to get a good look at a co-workers 2007 FZ6 today as we went on a short ride together, about 80 miles. I was quite impressed with how I felt while sitting on it. I will be picking up a new bike this summer and have looked at everything in this range and have gravitated towards a Versys or a Weestrom, but after spending a little time on my co-workers bike I now very interested in the new FZ6R. After a quick look on CycleTrader it seems that you could pick this bike up on the cheap. Looks to be a decent aftermarket as well, at least for the farkles I want, like V35's, risers, and lower pegs.
Not sure how much you know about them, but the 2009 FZ6R is NOTHING AT ALL like the pre-2009s.

The 2009s have a heavier, cheaper steel tube frame rather than the aluminum twin-spar, and a different engine with 2/3rds the power of the original FZ6. It has a full fairing to appeal to new sport bike riders (not that there's anything wrong with that), but sliding pin brake calipers, stamped steel parts, and was built to a price point. It was definitely a few notches down from an older FZ6.

Just do some homework before you decide. The 2009 was not a natural refinement and upgrade from the 2008...

Here's a link to some info:

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2009/...amaha2009fz6r/

I don't want to dis anyone who rides a 2009, I just want to get the story out there. I hope this helps...

ag_streak screwed with this post 05-10-2012 at 11:45 AM
Old 05-10-2012, 01:14 PM   #44
Worroll
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 745
Ya, I think they made the newer FZ6's crappier/cheaper to spread the difference between the FZ6 and the newer FZ8.
2011 Sprint GT, 2000 Moto Guzzi Jackal, 1981 Honda CB750F, 1957 BSA Bantam D3 restoration project, Past bikes -2008 Kawasaki KLR650, 1986 Honda Shadow VT1100C, 1998 Honda Shadow Aero VT1100C3, 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 2006 Kawasaki ZX-14,1980 Yamaha XT500
Worroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:54 PM   #45
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worroll View Post
Ya, I think they made the newer FZ6's crappier/cheaper to spread the difference between the FZ6 and the newer FZ8.
It really just simplified their global lineup - Europe has always had the XJ6, XJ6 Diversion, and now the XJ6 Diversion F (our FZ6R) in the lineup alongside the FZ6. They are the successors to the Seca II that was sold here in the 90's. The FZ6R wasn't a new model when it came here, simply a renamed Euro model. http://www.yamaha-motor.eu/uk/produc...ies/index.aspx

Dropping the FZ6 gave them a more obvious gap to the FZ8, sure; in the US, it gave them a more obvious competitor to the Ninja 650R and GSX650F.

I have a friend who just bought an FZ6R and finds it to be brilliant, well-balanced and with a more accessible powerband. I don't know that it is any lesser of a bike, only different.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote